• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up on Steam Community Choice: Three games that you probably already have if you're at all interested in them. >.>

AHh dick tits, Brother's didn't win... strong feeling it will be a daily though. Chivalry is good fun but doesn't hold up well as a competitive game, so I gave up on it.

At this point - what is everyone's #1 hopeful to go on sale?

For me.. Starbound. Unlikely, but hopeful.
I'm pretty much done with this sale unless Guacamelee, Spelunky, or Don't Starve goes at 75% off. I would list FF VIII or Baldur's Gate 2: EE, but neither is going for 75% off so yeah.

marrec

Banned
Is it really?
I have it installed, but never played it

It is.

But.

You have to get over the art and story. If you're easily offended then it will offend you with it's piles of poop, implied child abuse, and religious mockery.

If that does bother you and you want to play a game that has inspired a super popular underground racing league over the last two years, then you need to play Isaac and really get good at it.

pahamrick

My last three pick ups for this sale will be Spelunky, Guacamelee and Volgarr, but seeing as none have gone under $5 yet, I'll only be able to afford 2 of them :(

EDIT: Not picking them up yet obviously, waiting on dem dailies, regardless will probably only be able to get two.
Humble Bundle store had Guacamelee for $3.75 a few days ago.

Listen, Isaac is a legitimately great game though. Everyone needs to own it.

I second this..I realllllly enjoyed it and I had it sitting in my backlog for the longest time because I didn't think I would. I found myself playing for hours at a time. Steam says I spent a total of 35 hours in it but with me leaving my computer up, I'd say its probably closer to 20. Either way, thats more time I thought I would spend with it.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Volgarr is a daily, you have time to think about Dustforce though. I'm sure you are familiar but GoG doesn't offer Steam keys.

I'm guessing Volgarr will hit a Steam daily at some point, so I might wait considering I have other games to play right now anyway.

A few more suggestions, worth checking out.

Fly'n
Knytt Underground
Pid
Sideway
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (from Guacamelee devs)
Tobe's Vertical Adventure

Thanks for all the suggestions. Pid looks pretty spectacular artistically, so does Sideway.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It is.

But.

You have to get over the art and story. If you're easily offended then it will offend you with it's piles of poop, implied child abuse, and religious mockery.

If that does bother you and you want to play a game that has inspired a super popular underground racing league over the last two years, then you need to play Isaac and really get good at it.

It's weird, I've played so much Isaac that I completely forgot how fucked up it is. When I recommended it earlier in the thread wholeheartedly, somebody later posted about how disturbing it is. They weren't wrong. It's pretty fucked up. Put enough hours in though and it pretty much loses all meaning and it all becomes shapes and patterns.

It might be because I never was offended by it, but it was surprising and there were a few items I hated to pick up because of how messed up they are. I'm looking at you, toothpicks. It's a good thing that's a terrible and broken item anyway, now I don't pick it up because of that instead of the horrifying disfigurement it causes.

Quantum

I wanted a 50% on enslaved. Really enjoyed it on the 360.

Don't think its gonna happen, but I own most of what I wanted from the previous sale so I'm anxious to pick more up - guess I'll try to wait for the last day.

I've also noticed that every single community item I've wanted has lost this sale. I used to be so much better at picking the one that would win - Not this time.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/QuantumThermos

marrec

Banned
I second this..I realllllly enjoyed it and I had it sitting in my backlog for the longest time because I didn't think I would. I found myself playing for hours at a time. Steam says I spent a total of 35 hours in it but with me leaving my computer up, I'd say its probably closer to 20. Either way, thats more time I thought I would spend with it.

The amazing thing about Isaac is that no matter how much time you put into it there's always something MORE to get out of it.

Steam tells me I've played 266 hours of Isaac, I may have idled 20-30 hours of that. Like DOTA 2, I find myself watching other people play Isaac almost as much as I myself play it. Thinking about strategies involving certain combinations of items and rooms and bosses.

Lain

At this point - what is everyone's #1 hopeful to go on sale?

For me.. Starbound. Unlikely, but hopeful.

It's a tie between Aarklash: Legacy, The Swapper or the Assassins Creed games (so I can double dip on Brotherhood and Revelations to get them on Steam).

marrec

Banned
It's weird, I've played so much Isaac that I completely forgot how fucked up it is. When I recommended it earlier in the thread wholeheartedly, somebody later posted about how disturbing it is. They weren't wrong. It's pretty fucked up. Put enough hours in though and it pretty much loses all meaning and it all becomes shapes and patterns.

It might be because I never was offended by it, but it was surprising and there were a few items I hated to pick up because of how messed up they are. I'm looking at you, toothpicks. It's a good thing that's a terrible and broken item anyway, now I don't pick it up because of that instead of the horrifying disfigurement it causes.

It's... I never was offended by the visuals but every time I recommend it I'm acutely aware of just how fucked up it is. Which makes the 200+ hours I've put into it speak all the more to it's quality.

Parsnip

Well coincidentally I just finished Brothers.

It's not quite as good as I expected. Perhaps it had been hyped up a little too much?
I feel like it's trying to dig its claws into the part of me who watched family/child adventure movies like Goonies and such as a kid... but that part of me doesn't exist. As such, most of the game is just kind of eh for me. Well, except for
the ending, that's pretty rough. And some pretty gruesome things in the giant battleground that maybe isn't quite family adventure material.

The Foul

Bethesda DLC is routinely awful. The only one that was any good for Oblivion was ..uh...the Sheogorath one. You know. That one that I don't care to look up right now. Fallout 3 only had one worthwhile DLC too with the first one being just pathetic.

The problem I have with bethesda DLC is that by the time you've finished the main quest, you're insanely overpowered, and unless the DLC pulls a metroid and saps your gear/abilities. it becomes a 5-10 hour victory tour of power. Can be fun, but I skip it these days.

The amazing thing about Isaac is that no matter how much time you put into it there's always something MORE to get out of it.

Steam tells me I've played 266 hours of Isaac, I may have idled 20-30 hours of that. Like DOTA 2, I find myself watching other people play Isaac almost as much as I myself play it. Thinking about strategies involving certain combinations of items and rooms and bosses.

and I thought I played it a lot lol but yeah your absolutely right, that's what keeps you going back. As I was playing I figured once I beat it, I'd stop , but that wasn't the case.

Edit - After 4 and a half years, I'm an official member ='']

Volotaire

Thanks man, but is this for US only? Europe here.

You can use a fake US billing address and get the games through that, but be careful as some UK banks charge a international transaction tax, some up to £1.50. It might be best to ask a US gaffer to purchase these through AMazon US for it and pay the gaffer through paypal. The fee for paypal will be much lower than the bank international transaction tax, and if your bank is linked to your paypal account, the fee will be next to nothing.

EDIT: assumed you were in UK, but I guess this applies to other EU countries as well.

marrec

Banned
and I thought I played it a lot lol but yeah your absolutely right, that's what keeps you going back. As I was playing I figured once I beat it, I'd stop , but that wasn't the case.

Edit - After 4 and a half years, I'm an official member ='']

Gratz!

Also, the 'Pro' racers have put upwards of 400 hours into BoI. I'm still amature comparitively. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom