• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhen

I will add you if you promise to play Castlevania :)

(You don't actually have to play Castlevania)

LOL I will but I have to wait til 4th Jan for free download day so it doesn't count toward my download quota. >_< Cause Australia internet suck and has limited download quota.

http://steam-roulette.heroku.com/

A website that picks a random game from your steam library, and ideally it's for those who don't know what to play and leave the choice to chance.

ad838716147b9fbe5e2c16807a218408a87ed2b4.jpg

I like this site already

Skyrim for me plays out more like Style Savvy than an Action-RPG.
Acquire clothes, play dress-up, apply make-up, find the perfect lighting, then take a bunch of pictures.

Turfster

Lol. I got squished by a cutscene thing coming down, it started playing the video for the next one then thought "hey, wait, you're dead, back to the beginning of this stupdi fight you go!"

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world that finds the Elder Scrolls series boring.
I won't play any RPG unless it has good combat, and I haven't heard many good things about the combat in Elder Scrolls. Dark Souls is hella awesome though.

So I have a decision to make. If I get Skyrim, then I can't get Brothers and Gone Home.

Depends on what you want. Brothers and Gone Home will last you a few hours and both are amazing games Gone Home in particular. Skyrim gets a ton of shit, but I put at least 200 hours into it. And this is from someone who hated Oblivion. To each their own I guess. It's great value for whatever the sale is, something like seven bucks or something. I mean, don't go into it expecting Dark Souls or anything. It's not complete shit either. I loved every minute of it even though I played 200 hours of it.

Whatever. You can get smacked into space by a giant. Combat is A-OK in my book.

Combat in TES games is a strange beast. I've always preferred the stealth/ranged/magic approach because weapon based melee in first person games has never really been something I've thought was well done.
I do tend to like running around the world in third person camera, but this really doesn't seem to work well with combat at all, so I was switching back to first person when I'd enter the fray.

I think with the shouts you can get that Skyrim definitely improves upon the melee stuff found in older TES games such as Oblivion.

In a sense, I think this is why the Fallout games running in a similar engine are better received in terms of combat -- a majority of weapons are ranged in some fashion and the addition of V.A.T.S. allows you to kind of pause and adjust for the wonkiness that is there because the game wasn't designed as an FPS.

All of this said, since combat is not the main focus of the game design in TES games, I tend to push them off into their own genre of WRPG and not compare them to other Action-RPGs -- because there's no way a game centered around exploration is going to have the same refinement of combat as a game that's core design revolves around the combat. :)

These comments about Skyrim are just saddening. Have you guys not heard of Skyrim or something? Welcome to PC gaming. You are two years too late to care about the main game, really, no one cares. You buy Skyrim, you install a mod manager, install about 200 mods, and then you revel in the glory that is Skyrim.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Combat in TES games is a strange beast. I've always preferred the stealth/ranged/magic approach because weapon based melee in first person games has never really been something I've thought was well done.

I think with the shouts you can get that Skyrim definitely improves upon the melee stuff found in older TES games such as Oblivion.

In a sense, I think this is why the Fallout games running in a similar engine are better received in terms of combat -- a majority of weapons are ranged in some fashion and the addition of V.A.T.S. allows you to kind of pause and adjust for the wonkiness that is there because the game wasn't designed as an FPS.

All of this said, since combat is not the main focus of the game design in TES games, I tend to push them off into their own genre of WRPG and not compare them to other Action-RPGs -- because there's no way a game centered around exploration is going to have the same refinement of combat as a game that's core design revolves around the combat. :)

You're right for the most part. The combat in Skyrim is just there and doesn't get in the way when it is at its best. Sometimes it isn't at it's best, unfortunately. There can definitely be improvements, but it gets the job done as far as I'm concerned. It could certainly be improved but sometimes running around swinging a giant axe like a lunatic is satisfying.

The part where you're wrong is when you say melee first person combat has never been done well. Condemned, Shadow Warrior, and especially today's public enemy #1 Chivalry do amazing first person melee combat. It's certainly rare that it gets done well though.

Apath

Are flash deals better, worse, or about the same as the daily deals? Skyrim for under $10 sounds like a good buy, but not if it's going to drop in price further as a daily deal.

Eusis

Reposting

Honestly, neither look like something I'll enjoy. But I'll take your word for it.
Heh, that was sort of what I expected out of Trails in the Sky... and it DID hit a hell of a lot closer, but that came off more as "anime done right" rather than the sort of "weeaboo" stuff that makes you want to gouge your eyes out like Star Ocean 4.

oipic

Are flash deals better, worse, or about the same as the daily deals? Skyrim for under $10 sounds like a good buy, but not if it's going to drop in price further as a daily deal.

Cases where flash deals have differed from dailies are rare as hen's teeth - you're safe, go for it. :)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I won't play any RPG unless it has good combat, and I haven't heard many good things about the combat in Elder Scrolls. Dark Souls is hella awesome though.

I didn't like the combat in Morrowind or Oblivion. Haven't tried Skyrim so I can't comment on it. One day I will play DS since gaf has a boner for that game.

These comments about Skyrim are just saddening. Have you guys not heard of Skyrim or something? Welcome to PC gaming. You are two years too late to care about the main game, really, no one cares. You buy Skyrim, you install a mod manager, install about 200 mods, and then you revel in the glory that is Skyrim.

PC Gaming? Yeah right, like that is going to last.

vall03

Would like to ask, are there any difference between the PC and 360 version of Witcher 2 content-wise? I'm kinda tempted to get it.

You're right for the most part. The combat in Skyrim is just there and doesn't get in the way when it is at its best. Sometimes it isn't at it's best, unfortunately. There can definitely be improvements, but it gets the job done as far as I'm concerned. It could certainly be improved but sometimes running around swinging a giant axe like a lunatic is satisfying.

The part where you're wrong is when you say melee first person combat has never been done well. Condemned, Shadow Warrior, and especially today's public enemy #1 Chivalry do amazing first person melee combat. It's certainly rare that it gets done well though.

To be fair, the only game of the 3 I've played and finished would be Condemned -- and I don't recall thinking "Amazeballs, the FPS melee combat in this feels right!". Then again, not much stands out for me when recollecting my experience other than my 360 RROD'ing during my playtime as well as the game screwing me out of 1 or 2 achievements that I definitely should have had.

I have Shadow Warrior and played around with it a little, but I'm not a keyboard/mouse person -- and I haven't gone back to check the game out with a pad yet. Maybe it does do it well.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Fucking Ys GET

I also need Braid and a few more xbla titles so I don't have to play games on my 360 anymore ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom