• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coen

Man what a terrible way to start the day. I wake up on Christmas morning, excited to finally get Kentucky Route Zero only to find out it lost to Super Hexagon. :(

Day 1:
CS: GO
Ballpoint Universe
Dishonored GOTY
BL2 XMAS DLC
You Don't Know Jack! Movies
You Don't Know Jack! Television
You Don't Know Jack! 1 + 2 + 3
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Shelter
Electronic Super Joy

Day 2:
FF7

Day 4:
Eldritch

Day 5:
Super Hexagon

Love you too.

Happy holidays.

Wankers.

Coldsun

Banned
Makes sense. The deals are so good anyway it barely puts a dent in your wallet and helps developers. I mean, you pay $5 for The Witcher, and how many hours of entertainment are there? Meanwhile the hard copy will run you $20 or so.

I still like my hard copies but I think the gaming industry will achieve a middle ground like the music industry has. Digital distribution scared me for a long time, but I think like with iTunes you'll have your fans who go digital, and you'll have your fans who will still get a hard copy. The music industry has proven you can have both which is great.

I'm going to go to my local gaming store and pick up FF7 PS1 for $70 just for collection purposes but I can also get Witcher for $5-$10 bucks through Steam or another digital service,

I do wish I had hard copies of most of the games I have on Steam. There is definitely something nice about having a tangible hard copy in your hands, and a huge collection is nice on a bookshelf. The benefits however are iffy for a lot of games these days. Steamworks games still require Steam in order to play the hard copy. In these cases, if something were ever to happen to Steam both hard copies and digital copies would end up in the same boat. I suppose the only thing I can tell myself is that Valve isn't going anywhere, and they've stated in the past they'd release an unlocking/un-steaming tool if they ever were to falter.

Kadin

Sorry for the newb question but as you can see, I'm still pretty new here...

With regards to ModBot, is there a way to give away items I have in my Steam inventory? These obviously don't have keys as they're traded. I assume you can't do this so if one was to buy a few copies of something through Steam directly, how do you all trade it fairly to only GAF members?

Thanks!

Deques

With regards to ModBot, is there a way to give away items I have in my Steam inventory? These obviously don't have keys as they're traded. I assume you can't do this so if one was to buy a few copies of something through Steam directly, how do you all trade it fairly to only GAF members?

Thanks!

Read the OP, you see the instructions there

Coldsun

Banned

Thanks!

E-mail the gift to yourself and then submit the url that you receive as the key to modbot

denx

What's the likelihood that we'll see Queen as a daily or a flash (or a deal on Don't Starve or Little Inferno, for that matter)?

Nobody can answer that really, but you should keep your hopes up. This is a long sale after all, so LLTQ may appear in a sale later.

Sajjaja

Thanks!

All your ModBot answers: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617641

If it's not there, chances are it doesn't exist.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Thanks!
Email them and copy the link( do not open the link just copy it) and paste the link where the key would go. I forgot if you needed to remove something from the link but I think it works anyway.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks like the deal has ended

It's $9.95 (followed your link)

It says $9.95 but if you push "Buy now" it will have the discount in the shopping cart.

EDIT: I couldn't have been ninja'd by an avatar from a cooler game
Earthbound rules

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Someone sell me on Long Live The Queen.

What games is it comparable to?

Someone mentioned that it was the best Game of Thrones game yet!

In all seriousness though, it's like a cross between Princess Maker and Magical Diary. Kind of like an RPG-lite "Choose your own adventure" animated novel.

You choose what to "study" each day, and that increases your stats. Then some really horrible shit happens every day that you have to have the right stats to pass. I'm told that you inevitably die a horrible death that is commemorated with cute Chibis.

This isn't helping, is it?

Deques

Nope. Add to cart.

Discount applied there.

It says $9.95 but if you push "Buy now" it will have the discount in the shopping cart.

EDIT: I couldn't have been ninja'd by an avatar from a cooler game
Earthbound rules

Nope, I clicked on buy now and it was $4.98 in the cart.

Ah, I see

Looks like the price is converted to euro and VAT is also applied which totally ends with €4.91. >.<

Rise of the Triad
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
FEZ
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Bulletstorm
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition
Risk of Rain
FTL: Faster Than Light
Monaco
Resident Evil 6
Mirror's Edge
Surgeon Simulator 2013
DmC: Devil may Cry
Legend of Dungeon
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Bionic Commando
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Contagion
The Stanley Parable
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
Miasmata
Bionic Commando: ReArmed
Super Meat Boy
Battlefield 2

All this, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance thanks to digital holiday sales.

My backlog is now in shambles, and there's still another 9 days for the Steam Holiday Sale.

I'm boned.

Caerith

Someone sell me on Long Live The Queen.

What games is it comparable to?
I think it looks like a Princess Maker, but really it's more of a strategy game. I'll just quote the top-rated review on the game's page:

TL;DR - Don't judge a book by it's cover. Yes it looks girly and cute as hell but it's actually quite serious with a lot strategy involved and most importantly it's interesting and fun. Don't expect it to be in a bundle or on a super cheap sale any time soon.

Let's get one thing out of the way. This is a strategy game. Not a take 6 hours and a lot of youtube videos to learn Paradox strategy game, but definitely a strategy game first and foremost nonetheless.

It looks like a Visual Novel superficially and there are some stats and advancement like an RPG. It does have elements of both but primarily what you will be doing is strategizing and trying to stay alive. Because a lot of people want Elodie dead and there's lots and lots of ways to die. And you will die in this game but that's okay because you learn from it and go back and get a chance to redo things different and that's actually part of the fun of it. What if I zigged instead of zagged? What if I learned that skill instead of the other? etc.

The idea is that everyone is scheming against you and you have to plan and plot and try to protect yourself while also trying to predict future events in various ways. The game has a short tutorial in the beginning but the mechanics are actually pretty simple once you get them down, which doesn't take long. Elodie's mood is affected by events that go on around her which affects bonuses and penalties to learning skills which in turn affects how events go down.

When events happen to change the story you'll get a notification whether you pass/failed a skill check which helps you figure out what skills might be useful to learn. You can turn these notifications off and of course events are unpredictable, except when they're not. There's ways for trying to predict the future if you so choose to spend time on that.

If you can get the hell over the fact that the game is visually girly and super cutesy, it's actually quite serious. For what it is, I think that it's done quite well and that Hanako managed to make something unique that gives a strategy game experience without a bunch of dry menus and statistics but does it on a much more personal level.

Because this sums it up pretty well without me saying something pithy like "it's the Dark Souls of video games."

jshackles

Alright so it's finally Christmas here on the US West Coast. Merry Christmas everyone! I hope GAF has (or had) a great Christmas.

And to all, a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom