• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It was a fake image making the rounds days ago, also this is a Steam thread of filling our Steam collection with a never ending backlog

My bad, I'm only a junior and can't make a thread so I went to the most populated one. But oddly enough I think it is still on the PSN store if you look it up, I just got called to spread the word so don't kill the messenger.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The Last Guardian being a low key digital release on the PS3 PSN at this point would be some kind of I-don't-know-what.

I hope I win Bad Rats. Murray Christmas and Happy Holidays, Steam Thread. Thank you for all of the free games for my ponderous and insurmountable backlog.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The Last Guardian being a low key digital release on the PS3 PSN at this point would be some kind of I-don't-know-what.

I hope I win Bad Rats. Murray Christmas and Happy Holidays, Steam Thread. Thank you for all of the free games for my ponderous and insurmountable backlog.

I don't know if its a glitch in the system or whatever but I need research done on this!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Want to trade if I get Bad Rats and you get Rise of the Triad or Starbound?

Putting me on the spot man, haha. Fuck it, if that happens I'm in the holiday spirits so I'm down for a trade.

Bring on the Bad Rats I've already won like 8 games through GAF generosity. This thread honestly changed my whole perception on Steam and digital distribution in positive terms. I have never gotten more games on Christmas, and this is from random, awesome GAFFERS. I've been all consoles all my life except for Counter Strike and TF2 but this has changed my opinion a lot.

I still prefer to have a hard copy though for big releases. For instance I was gifted FF7 by a good friend, but this makes me want to have a hard copy just for collection purposes.

The day after claus may have a copy for you is you don't win

Based charr is based.

One thing my brother told me is that once a game is installed on your account you can't trade or give it away...is this true? I'm almost done with LIMBO, which is a great game, but I wouldn't mind giving it to another GAFfer if I could. My brother made it seem like once its tied to your account you can't trade or sell it, but maybe I misunderstood him (I was drunk).

Coldsun

Banned
One thing my brother told me is that once a game is installed on your account you can't trade or give it away...is this true? I'm almost done with LIMBO, which is a great game, but I wouldn't mind giving it to another GAFfer if I could. My brother made it seem like once its tied to your account you can't trade or sell it, but maybe I misunderstood him (I was drunk).

No you can not trade or gift games that you have already attached to your account.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You are still off-topic. And you already have seen the post above yours so you should believe it

Of course I'm still off-topic, there is no thread for this period and I'm thanking the person who gave me the response. Additionally, no need to be rude sir/ma'am, I was not being sarcastic with what I said, I actually meant it. Thanks for clarifying though and sorry if I caused any trouble.

Of course I'm still off-topic, there is no thread for this period and I'm thanking the person who gave me the response. Additionally, no need to be rude sir/ma'am, I was not being sarcastic with what I said, I actually meant it. Thanks for clarifying though and sorry if I caused any trouble.

Go on a PS4 thread or something where it is much more relevant.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
No you can not trade or gift games that you have already attached to your account.

Hmmm whats the reasoning for this? The sales are absolutely fantastic, some almost free, but I don't like the fact I can't give a game to a friend after I'm done with it.

I got LIMBO from a GAFfer two days ago, am almost done with it but I don't see myself playing it afterwards. It would be nice to give it to a fellow GAFfer once I'm done with it like it was given to me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Guys - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. This game is really good.

• The controls - while it can be difficult to get used to, after a while it just starts to feel like second nature. Each thumbstick (left and right) on the controller controls one of the two brothers, and each matching trigger is that brother's "action" button. While this game would be incredibly easy if it were played with two people (each with one controller), it becomes an interesting and rewarding mental exercise trying to control both characters yourself.
  • The story - also very good. The characters don't speak (really) but talk in a kind of "Sim-ish" language. The developers put a lot of effort into portraying the characters through their body language and tone rather than speech directly. The game takes place in a world that could best be described as a "grimm-style" fairy tale.
  • Difficulty - although you can die, the game is super generous with it's checkpoints, so it would be difficult to get frustrated with the game. The main focus here is on solving puzzles and some light platforming.
  • Achievements - another interesting idea well executed here. None of the game's 12 achievements will be unlocked during normal game play. Every single one of them is optional, and rewards the player for "going off the beaten path" and/or doing something interesting in the game. For best results, don't play through with a cheat guide. These are best discovered on your own.
  • Length - I played for a little over an hour and got to the third section of the game, which I believe is almost half way maybe? HowLongToBeat says the game should take between 3-4 hours to complete.
Bottom line - buy this game. It's currently $5.99 on Amazon, but could be a daily or flash deal at some point during the sale. When it is, don't hesitate.

KuroNeeko

I already did, I can't post threads due to being a junior so I'll just stay in my little corner.

You probably won't survive long enough to make your own threads if you continue to deliberately come into other threads and post off topic because you need research done.

Sajjaja

Putting me on the spot man, haha. Fuck it, if that happens I'm in the holiday spirits so I'm down for a trade.

Bring on the Bad Rats I've already won like 8 games through GAF generosity. This thread honestly changed my whole perception on Steam and digital distribution in positive terms. I have never gotten more games on Christmas, and this is from random, awesome GAFFERS. I've been all consoles all my life except for Counter Strike and TF2 but this has changed my opinion a lot.

lol I was joking man :D Welcome to the PC Master Race and our headquarters, Steam.

And yes, once a game is redeemed to your account, you cannot sell it/remove it/trade it from your account.

Guys - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. This game is really good.

• The controls - while it can be difficult to get used to, after a while it just starts to feel like second nature. Each thumbstick (left and right) on the controller controls one of the two brothers, and each matching trigger is that brother's "action" button. While this game would be incredibly easy if it were played with two people (each with one controller), it becomes an interesting and rewarding mental exercise trying to control both characters yourself.
  • The story - also very good. The characters don't speak (really) but talk in a kind of "Sim-ish" language. The developers put a lot of effort into portraying the characters through their body language and tone rather than speech directly. The game takes place in a world that could best be described as a "grimm-style" fairy tale.
  • Difficulty - although you can die, the game is super generous with it's checkpoints, so it would be difficult to get frustrated with the game. The main focus here is on solving puzzles and some light platforming.
  • Achievements - another interesting idea well executed here. None of the game's 12 achievements will be unlocked during normal game play. Every single one of them is optional, and rewards the player for "going off the beaten path" and/or doing something interesting in the game. For best results, don't play through with a cheat guide. These are best discovered on your own.
  • Length - I played for a little over an hour and got to the third section of the game, which I believe is almost half way maybe? HowLongToBeat says the game should take between 3-4 hours to complete.
Bottom line - buy this game. It's currently $5.99 on Amazon, but could be a daily or flash deal at some point during the sale. When it is, don't hesitate.

Oh shit, I'm excited to play it, lucky for me my brother got it on XBL. He had points stacked up from something with Bing a while ago.

Deques

Hey jshackles, while you are here. Can I make a feature request?
Can you add a link to a game's DLC page in the game's store page? I don't understand why there isn't oneat all while there is a DLC page for each game that has DLCs

Just found the DLC link while posting this >.<

Can you add a bigger link button to the dlc page? Maybe put it under Wishlist button.
I didn't realize that the header text for the dlc list was a link until now

Coldsun

Banned
Hmmm whats the reasoning for this? The sales are absolutely fantastic, some almost free, but I don't like the fact I can't give a game to a friend after I'm done with it.

I got LIMBO from a GAFfer two days ago, am almost done with it but I don't see myself playing it afterwards. It would be nice to give it to a fellow GAFfer once I'm done with it like it was given to me.

Logic is that it stops second hand sales. If you could regift games that you have completed, it'd make it so the publishers received less. Ultimately, its likely that if a system was in place to regift games, that you'd never see these type of sales purely because 1 cheap game would be passed around tons of times.

This isn't unique to Steam either. Any digital distributed game service hinders regifting.

Item Box

Trying to buy copies of super hexagon for my friends, but I can't even purchase it as a gift. Is it because I already have it in my library?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey jshackles, while you are here. Can I make a feature request?
Can you add a link to a game's DLC page in the game's store page? I don't understand why there isn't oneat all while there is a DLC page for each game that has DLCs

Just found the DLC link while posting this >.<

Can you add a bigger link button to the dlc page? Maybe put it under Wishlist button.
I didn't realize that the header text for the dlc list was a link until now

I might not add a bigger button, but I can certainly make the header look more like a link to give a better indication that it's clickable. Thanks for the idea!

waby

I know its dirty cheap but what the heck lol
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Hexagon -- MB-D1214E278BD52BF4 - Taken by VitalNerve. 6 entrants total.

t1387958064z1.png

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Logic is that it stops second hand sales. If you could regift games that you have completed, it'd make it so the publishers received less. Ultimately, its likely that if a system was in place to regift games, that you'd never see these type of sales purely because 1 cheap game would be passed around tons of times.

This isn't unique to Steam either. Any digital distributed game service hinders regifting.

Makes sense. The deals are so good anyway it barely puts a dent in your wallet and helps developers. I mean, you pay $5 for The Witcher, and how many hours of entertainment are there? Meanwhile the hard copy will run you $20 or so.

I still like my hard copies but I think the gaming industry will achieve a middle ground like the music industry has. Digital distribution scared me for a long time, but I think like with iTunes you'll have your fans who go digital, and you'll have your fans who will still get a hard copy. The music industry has proven you can have both which is great.

I'm going to go to my local gaming store and pick up FF7 PS1 for $70 just for collection purposes but I can also get Witcher for $5-$10 bucks through Steam or another digital service,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom