• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

I played two hours of How to Survive. Short version it sucks.

Medium version:

* A lot of things are just "ok". The graphics, the sound, the controls, everything "works" but only just.
* The quests are boring and generic as per any other game of this type.
* The game throws up completely arbitrary restrictions on your movement. For example you can't hop over a shin high log to get to your destination. Instead you have to take the long way around and can't even get through long grass...until you get a machete that lets you cut through long grass.
* The game features tutorials in the way of "comical" manuals that you collect at different points. But you can't just read them, you have to watch videos that go on forever with long intros and I couldn't be bothered after the first one.
* The crafting system, which looks interesting in trailers just resolves down to collecting random loot and clicking buttons until it turns into arrows or a knife or something. Either way, you'll still just be clicking on zombies until they die.
* The actual combat is not satisfying at all, even if it is functional. You click, zombies die. You charge up your attack for variety? They still die, but sometimes they hit you. The somewhat interesting night mechanic where your torch is used to stop monsters attacking you? Well that also keeps them well away for you so that you still don't have anything interesting to do.

So basically you have to make your own fun if you want to get anything out of it. I couldn't, so I will not be returning and I consider it a bit of a waste of time.

Path of Exile is there waiting and is free.

Thanks for taking your time todd, good advice, as usual. It's a shame. The idea looked interesting and when I checked some gameplay couple of days ago it seemed to look good but looks are not everything in these games.

Caerith

* The game throws up completely arbitrary restrictions on your movement. For example you can't hop over a shin high log to get to your destination. Instead you have to take the long way around and can't even get through long grass...until you get a machete that lets you cut through long grass.

So, if you can't get through long grass until you get a machete, does that mean you can't get over shin high logs until you find (or craft) a pair of knees?

Hawkie

When undecided about a game I used to look at who already owns it on my friend list and fire off a quick message to find out some opinions. Have come to the realisation that that approach is almost a complete waste of time as 'play times' are usually just card idling and the libraries in question are so big even the owners have no idea themselves about the games.

Divius

What should I vote for? edit: voted shelter because it looked interesting, check store page: you already own shelter. Wut.

I also entered for Surgeon Simulator, thanks Tempy!

Frologic

Looking at screenshots of the penny arcade game and it looks hilarious . Any impressions of the series? I've never played an old school rpg game.

Caerith

Why must they tempt me with FF VIII again!
*Looks at shelf*
*Looks at PSX copies of FF7, FF8, FF9, and FF Tactics*
*Laughs at -33% discount on Steam version*

When undecided about a game I used to look at who already owns it on my friend list and fire off a quick message to find out some opinions. Have come to the realisation that that approach is almost a complete waste of time as 'play times' are usually just card idling and the libraries in question are so big even the owners have no idea themselves about the games.
I'm glad they added the review thing to the bottom of the store pages now. It's actually pretty useful, putting friend reviews first then public reviews in order of helpfulness.

eek5

Accidentally bought this even though I already had it. Hopefully I am doing this right..

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-AB827696D45650AB

Radio

How is State of Decay? I've read about it but still don't get what kind of a game it is.

Open-world zombie game that controls a bit like GTA or Saints Row. The story is pretty minimal, and mostly the game consists of finding a base and building it up while maintaining supplies.

It’s worth $10. There are some frustrating mechanics, and it gets pretty tedious at times, but it’s still fun.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Is Thief a steam code?

It will be.

The codes aren't being given out yet but if you register for it AMD will send it when they have them.

Frankly for $16 getting a choice of the likes of SR4 and Thief (And whatever else you fancy from that list) is a bargain.

How is State of Decay? I've read about it but still don't get what kind of a game it is.

smallish open world zombie game (think the size of the older gta games) with a bit of jank - what's there to get?

combat is a bit like dead rising 2's with fewer moves. the base management sim aspect of it is very, very simple. almost a non factor. gameplay videos show it accurately. it is what it is.

Divius

I finally have a foil, but the lowest price has dropped so much since I put it up. Dammit people stop undercutting each other! It was €1,26 now €1,03

Danj

I finally have a foil, but the lowest price has dropped so much since I put it up. Dammit people stop undercutting each other! It was €1,26 now €1,03

The cards have an expiry date so I am expecting them to go back up just before the end of the sale.

Waku

The cards have an expiry date so I am expecting them to go back up just before the end of the sale.

Going by the Summer Sale, everyone will try to dump their cards as fast as possible and flood the market.

Happend last time and that was when cards didn't expire. The Price still hasn't recovered for summer cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom