• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

Morning everyone! Did I miss anything?

How to Survive is on the flash sale and that is very tempting for 70% OFF. Has anyone in here spend some time with the game already?

Frologic

Still don't know if I should get State of Decay! This is one of the hardest choices so far. Looks like unique sandbox zombie game but also looks buggy and a bad pc port.

How to Survive is on the flash sale and that is very tempting for 70% OFF. Has anyone in here spend some time with the game already?

I played two hours of How to Survive. Short version it sucks.

Medium version:

* A lot of things are just "ok". The graphics, the sound, the controls, everything "works" but only just.
* The quests are boring and generic as per any other game of this type.
* The game throws up completely arbitrary restrictions on your movement. For example you can't hop over a shin high log to get to your destination. Instead you have to take the long way around and can't even get through long grass...until you get a machete that lets you cut through long grass.
* The game features tutorials in the way of "comical" manuals that you collect at different points. But you can't just read them, you have to watch videos that go on forever with long intros and I couldn't be bothered after the first one.
* The crafting system, which looks interesting in trailers just resolves down to collecting random loot and clicking buttons until it turns into arrows or a knife or something. Either way, you'll still just be clicking on zombies until they die.
* The actual combat is not satisfying at all, even if it is functional. You click, zombies die. You charge up your attack for variety? They still die, but sometimes they hit you. The somewhat interesting night mechanic where your torch is used to stop monsters attacking you? Well that also keeps them well away for you so that you still don't have anything interesting to do.

So basically you have to make your own fun if you want to get anything out of it. I couldn't, so I will not be returning and I consider it a bit of a waste of time.

Path of Exile is there waiting and is free.

but Shelter has badgers

So does Baldurs Gate

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------

Is Sacrifice any good? I know nothing about it.

Yes, it is a good game even if the graphics are a bit antiquated. Even though the graphic fidelity leaves some to be desired, the art direction helped craft a unique world with equally unique characters. The writing, especially some of the Gods, is quite amusing. The only pitfall is that some of the later battles devolved into wars of attrition instead of calculated decisions.

I still have the original boxed copy. :D

FF8 will please some people no doubt. For my part I own all those games.

Speaking of which, how to survive is kind of poor and I wouldn't recommend it.

Seconded. Multiplayer is super boring.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Serious Sam 2 -- MB-4DE8600B3127443E - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 2 entrants total.

t1387969855z1.png

some spare I had left, enjoy!

Beelzebubs

Looking through back catalogue and noticed an extra copy of Trine so have at it.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine -- MB-9F83E4D89418722A - Taken by Volimar

Tame

Still don't know if I should get State of Decay! This is one of the hardest choices so far. Looks like unique sandbox zombie game but also looks buggy and a bad pc port.

been on the fence about this since it showed up on the dailies

i just folded and bought it

Carm

Hmm did u update to the latest ver.? Maybe it's a card issue?

Just installed it a little bit ago so it should be the updated version, fraps is showing 60fps in game. GPU driver is newest Nvidia off whql driver

Edit: Bah! figured out the problem, Flash really does suck. I had a paused episode of Dayz in the background. Killing browser cleared it up.

Terra

Hey GAF! Merry Christmas!

I am on the look for three games this sale:
Duck Tales, Castle of Illusion and Grimrock.

Is there a chance for those to show up among the dailies?

KlotePino

Really hoping Brothers still ends up as a sale. Although I just saw it's on sale on EU PSN for a pretty great price. Still worth playing on PC or is the fidelity difference negligible?

derFeef

Enjoy Juniors :) Have a controller for this game...

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Castle Crashers -- MB-30089107C60DDCDE - Taken by Darkroronoa

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
First giveaway; hope this works!

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-64167C4DE27D027B - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk. 31 entrants total.

t1387980340z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom