• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very likely that the 0 ratings are from people who consider them "non-games". And maybe some people who couldn't figure out how to
keep
that one achievement in Stanley Parable.
Though yeah, a fair number of people dinged Gone Home for being "overpriced" at $20. (Good thing it's less now, then.)

If you're into like, games that exist to communicate a specific idea/story (...this contrasted with games that require learning rules and mastering skills, I guess) I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy them. The general sentiment around both seems pretty positive.
Yeah I kind of totally disregard 0 ratings on Metacritic. 0 should be reserved for something so buggy, so broken, so poorly made that it's nearly unplayable. To rate those games 0 because the likely reason that those people don't consider them games or boring or whatever is ridiculous.

Haven't played Gone Home, but here's what I wrote about The Stanley Parable
The Stanley Parable is a game of contradictions. It's about a man named Stanley, but it's also your story. It's a game about choice, but also the lack of choice. It's funny and humorous, but also surprisingly existential. The Stanley Parable is many things, but one fact remains consistent: it's something you need to experience.

Yes, experience. The Stanley Parable could be defined as a game - you walk, look around, interact with objects - but it's more of an virtual Choose-Your-Own-Adventure narrative than what some might consider a game. That doesn't make the Stanley Parable any less worthy of your time and attention. You control a man named Stanley, employee 427, instructed to press buttons ad naueseam and nothing more. Or so he thinks, until one day, the instructions cease and you take the fateful steps into the abandoned office building outside your room and the world beyond.

Or not. You never have to leave your office. Make that choice and the Narrator - masterfully voiced by Kevan Brighting - will surely have some comment, some retort, some insight on your decision. Go left instead of right, got downstairs instead of upstairs, press the button, don't press the button, press a different button, and the Narrator will always be there with a snappy comeback. He's your guide, your benefactor, your nemesis, your teacher, and half the time, he seems just as lost and confused by the sudden turn of events as you are. He's the foundation of the game and never ceases to amuse and entertain.

To discuss those "turn of events" would do a disservice to the wonderfully crafted narrative. The Stanley Parable may last only four or five hours but it's a one of a kind experience that will have you smiling, chuckling, laughing, confused, reeling from momentary shock and surprise in response to the myriad paths your choices will take you. It's a game tailor made for discussions and excited recollections of your favorite moments and discoveries. More than any other experience this year, it's a game for gamers, in the way it plays with, subverts, comments on the expectations and tropes of the medium. You need to play The Stanley Parable.

Salsa

to say "only 4 or 5 hours" is kinda weird for me. I consider that like.. proper lenght. A 2 hour game like Gone Home might be short for some but 4-5 hours? how much is a COD campaign? like 6?

Salsa

gettin noogy wit it

filepicker%2FtPlc3IgQRC5bhEpRPlBQ_gettin_jiggy_wit_it_281x211.jpg

Dust #1 -

Dust #2 -

Dust #3 -

Dust #4 -

Dust #5 -

Dust #6 -

Dust #7 -

Dust #8 -

keys provided by the noogest of noogies btw

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I'm almost positive Alice has been 5 bucks on Steam either during the summer or autumn sale, as I think I wouldn't have double dipped for more than that.

Voted for Mafia II, since I haven't played any of the series yet.

edit: Snagged Dust #1, thanks!

Played a few hours of CSGO with 2 friends who always give me every crate because they dgaf, we got 3 Winter crates and I sold them for $5 each. If you're not making your $3.74 CSGO purchase pay for itself today with these new crates you're doing it wrong.
How do you get these crates? Just tried it and it's dropping normal cases.

Caerith

to say "only 4 or 5 hours" is kinda weird for me. I consider that like.. proper lenght. A 2 hour game like Gone Home might be short for some but 4-5 hours? how much is a COD campaign? like 6?
A lot of people don't understand the difference between quality and quantity, between "best" and "most." If a game is "only" 4-5 hours, does that mean it feels rushed? Because there are plenty of short games that overstay their welcome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tiny Thief is 70% off for the duration of the sale, haha. I'd wager the decision to price the game at $15 wasn't working out so well.

I've already voted for Alice, I wont be contributing to your problem!

Aw. :(

Salsa

A lot of people don't understand the difference between quality and quantity, between "best" and "most." If a game is "only" 4-5 hours, does that mean it feels rushed? Because there are plenty of short games that overstay their welcome.

yea, that much goes without saying. good games are as long as they need to be

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
*needs one card to get the Escape Goat badge*

*camps the card exchange sites for card for weeks to no avail*

*gets booster pack for Escape Goat*

*opens pack*

*doesn't get the card needed*

fuuuuuuuck

When I wrote that, I wasn't implying that the length was a negative. Is that how it comes across? I totally agree. A short quality experience is much better than a 10 hour padded one. Vanquish, Stanley, The Swapper, etc.

Salsa

so yeah steam cheevo manager running for like 5-6 hours and no cards

was gettin them fine before with it

VALVE IS ONTO ME

rrs

Just tried Dust today, this combat system is heavenly why didn't I play this earlier. Now I'm listening to a similarly named SA radio station because I can't get this pun out of my head.

oh, didnt catch that electronic super joy had DLC. guess I only had the base game

bought

same. i just saw someone in my feed had bought it and was like 'what what? what's all this then?" A few extra stages, some new mode maybe, the soundtrack, etc. all for under $1? Hell yeah.

aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicce!

<3

Hey! It's you!
I hope it wins -- if not, it should be a daily.

gettin noogy wit it

keys provided by the noogest of noogies btw

Good show!

Once again, Salsa helping me do my dirty work.

Wunderbar!

so yeah steam cheevo manager running for like 5-6 hours and no cards

was gettin them fine before with it

VALVE IS ONTO ME

What black magic is this?

Sometimes, I admit, I consider using Steam cheevo manager to unlock any/all achievements I've earned for games on 360/PS3. :|

Caerith

When I wrote that, I wasn't implying that the length was a negative. Is that how it comes across? I totally agree. A short quality experience is much better than a 10 hour padded one. Vanquish, Stanley, The Swapper, etc.

Nah, in the context of your review you were clear that the game was as long as it needed to be. It's just weird (sad?) that game length was ever even a metric of quality.

*needs one card to get the Escape Goat badge*

*camps the card exchange sites for card for weeks to no avail*

*gets booster pack for Escape Goat*

*opens pack*

*doesn't get the card needed*

fuuuuuuuck

That reminds me. I'm level 51 and haven't had a booster pack drop in almost a month. They are holding out on me.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Had an extra key from a previous humble bundle

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Limbo -- MB-BBFA7DDF59128551 - Taken by crazyrabbits

Toki Tori 2+ impressions / a small review for anyone who's interested:

I strongly recommend Toki Tori 2+ to anyone who likes puzzle games or puzzles in their games at all. Don't be fooled by its cuty looks - the game is really challenging (but very fun).

The game doesn't hold your hand at all. It does give you subtle environmental hints all the time, but you need to you need to watch and figure them out on your own.

The game is sort of a metroidvania style open world puzzle adventure, but instead of power-ups, the game keeps throwing you new mechanics all the time throughout the whole game and keeps subtly teaching them. You have only 2 abilities for the whole game - stomp and whistle - and you need to figure out the ways to interact with the environment and with the creatures in it in order to solve the puzzles to move on to the next level. Having only 2 skills may sound low, but the game does some pretty fantastic things with those. The puzzles really have tons of variety as there are plenty of different animals in the environment and you need to also make the animals interact with each other and the environment.

As the game is open world and since you don't have any real power-ups, you're basically free to go anywhere right from the start. However, the multiple ways are either hidden as puzzles or blocked with puzzles. Meaning, in most levels there are multiple paths to take and often you won't even realize those paths are there, or you see a possible way but you just can't figure out how to get there. But as you progress, the game teaches you slowly so that you're able to figure out those paths and how to get to them.

There's no wrong path to take, but there is a clear path of the least resistance at the start. During that path the game subtly teaches you all the basic mechanics and at the end of it, the game kinda throws you out there with clear multiple paths to choose (but shows you an optional goal to go for). If you accidentally, or by will, choose a different path at the start, don't worry, the game will still teach you and soon lead you to the end of the path of the least resistance, after which you'll be able to fly to any location you've been in before. It'll be a bit harder that way of course, but still very logical and very possible to go through.

The game will probably take you around 17-22 hours for normal playthrough, and roughly about 30 hours if you go for 100%. For 100% there's a small but fun in-game reward and of course the puzzles are harder.

The gameplay is kind of slow paced (as it's a puzzle game) so if that's not your thing you might wanna beware. There are some people I've seen saying they got very bored by the game, but some of those people also have later realized how the game works and started to really like it.

Don't buy the game itself because of this though, in case anyone missed it:
Um,,,

i9hPJlB.jpg

Ara?

Ararara?
Instead buy that bundle. Edge, Rush and the original Toki Tori are fine games too, but not nearly as special as Toki Tori 2+. You don't need to play the first game to play the sequel. Plots aren't connected (the little plot that they have), and the gameplay is very different in each.

Huh, Elven Legacy was removed? Glad I had it sitting in my library for like three years.

I have it DRM-free for years, though voices from within tell me that is not enough with increasing urgency after it sunk to the bottom of my wishlist where the no longer availables dwell.

Sitting at 596 games right now, and it was only a month ago when I wondered whether I get to 500 games milestone before end of the year..

Been a little more high profile sale than I initially thought. I think those snow globes got into my head and forces me to craft and buy things lol.

Fieldrunners
Monaco 4-Pack
Retro/Grade
Ms. Splosion Man
Dungeons of Dredmor Complete
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Fable The Lost Chapters
Chantelise
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Rainbow Six 3: Gold
Blazing Angels Pack
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Beyond Good and Evil
BIT.TRIP Collection 2013
New Star Soccer 5

So far, but tomorrow is a new day! I fear for what happens before the sale is over..
700 games here i come

The page for the Electronic Super Joy base game says:

**Includes Holiday Update, which adds 15 new achievements, 3 more levels, and the new boss fight, Spike!**

in the description. But then it also sell the DLC separately. Does the game (.79) include the holiday update?

Noogy

I have yet to play Dust tbh, but I know Noogy is good people because he likes Mega Man 4

Haha, I can't remember when I said I liked MM4 publicly, but yeah, it's my second favorite behind MM2 :) Glad people are enjoying Dust, losing the Community vote to FTL isn't too surprising because, c'mon, it's FTL. But I put up a good fight!

As for a daily deal, I don't have full insight, but signs are promising.

That's the plan!

Paradox's publishing contract expired and 1C hasn't put them back up on the store yet. You'll notice that they're now published by the latter on GamersGate, for example.

As always, thank you for the info. I noticed they were still on GG, though I wasn't aware of the publishing handover. As long as they are coming back, I should be able to make it through this time of crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom