• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

Yeah it boots up the games ID so that it shows you as playing it.
As far as banning goes I won't say 100% no but me and many others have used it for idling cards. I've been using it for the past year. Last I recalled the game opening the appID can't be distinguished since it's the same code that would run if the game was installed on your computer.

JaseC can explain it better.

Is it safe to use? I never did dabble with this

Well I just read the faq on the page and I guess it is safe, lol

I got it working, that's so awesome, now I can get all those cards for those games I own but haven't got installed. Thanks!

All it needs now is a card drop detector and a scheduler so you can just add games to a playlist and have it cycle through them.

Jawmuncher

Is it safe to use? I never did dabble with this

Well I just read the faq on the page and I guess it is safe, lol

I can't vouche if you use it on achievements but idling is fine.
As stated it just boots the same game ID that would load if you installed the game and played it.

feel

So that thing is supersafe as long as I only start the games and don't mess with the achievements? So scary to do this kind of thing with your steam account.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I can't vouche if you use it on achievements but idling is fine.
As stated it just boots the same game ID that would load if you installed the game and played it.

What if I accidentally hit a "unlock all achievement?" I guess that's my only worry then

But yeah, just gonna use to idle

Jawmuncher

What if I accidentally hit a "unlock all achievement?" I guess that's my only worry then

But yeah, just gonna use to idle

Honestly I don't think anything would happen.
As was in that FAQ they have never banned for achievements and they only took away achievements back during a TF2 event. I think SAM is the main reason we no longer see any sort of achievement type giveaways like there was in the past on steam.

Are the humble bundle version mac games DRM free?

I have them added on my PC steam, but I want to gift the downloadeable mac versions to my father, can I do it safely?

Caerith

If you don't want to use SAM, either because you're concerned about the risks of it or because the website it's hosted on is run by assholes, there's another way:

JaseC said:
If you don't want to use SAM, you can go into the installation directory of any CEG/"Steam DRM"-supporting game, create a steam_appid.txt file, open it and type in the app id of the game you want to idle in, and then run the executable. When you're done you just close the game, change the app id, and then run the executable again. Rinse and repeat.
And here's a list of app IDs.

Advantage of this is you can play anything while idling "in" something else, like... you can actually play Rogue Legacy but earn idle time in Day of Defeat.

Kabouter

Just spent 15 minutes playing through 9.03m which Zeliard got me (<3). It's a largely non-interactive experience that attempts to humanize the victims of the 2011 Tsunami in Japan. I didn't really care for it though, what little gameplay it has is not interesting (rotating objects) and while the idea is great, it really didn't do very much to humanize the victims for me. I think they could probably have done a better job that would have come closer to achieving their aims if they had made an animated film, because the visuals and soundtrack are very nice, and I feel like it's probably easier to pull something like that off rather than trying to succeed in video game form.

Honestly I don't think anything would happen.
As was in that FAQ they have never banned for achievements and they only took away achievements back during a TF2 event. I think SAM is the main reason we no longer see any sort of achievement type giveaways like there was in the past on steam.
With all the games I've tried to use it on, literally squat has happened. When playing offline and then not getting achievements or something else, I've tried using SAM and I can't get it to work. Specifically TWD which I guess has server-side achievements? I just didn't want to risk my save data vanishing if I tried for the Episode 5 achievements. :(
I didn't wanna go through with the ending again, man.

It works great for idling though.

Jawmuncher

Just spent 15 minutes playing through 9.03m which Zeliard got me (<3). It's a largely non-interactive experience that attempts to humanize the victims of the 2011 Tsunami in Japan. I didn't really care for it though, what little gameplay it has is not interesting (rotating objects) and while the idea is great, it really didn't do very much to humanize the victims for me. I think they could probably have done a better job that would have come closer to achieving their aims if they had made an animated film, because the visuals and soundtrack are very nice, and I feel like it's probably easier to pull something like that off rather than trying to succeed in video game form.

Thanks for the impressions.
Will play it later on but I assumed the experience was going to dilute to something like that.

Saty

With all the games I've tried to use it on, literally squat has happened. When playing offline and then not getting achievements or something else, I've tried using SAM and I can't get it to work. Specifically TWD which I guess has server-side achievements? I just didn't want to risk my save data vanishing if I tried for the Episode 5 achievements. :(
I didn't wanna go through with the ending again, man.

It works great for idling though.

I just unlocked the Episode 3 achievements for WTD. I didn't know you have to click on 'Store' after selecting them.

Just woke up and saw that I've received a Hotline Miami Booster

Jos%C3%A9-Mourinho-Slides-on-field-after-goal.gif

Edit: Opened, and got a foil

8647513641_860d9c007b_o.gif

Arthea

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale -- MB-7448A6188374774C

t1387617936z1.png

For those poor bastards that slept through this deal of opportunity to get acquainted with real face of capitalism, ho.

Arthea

I'm actually interested in this game, and I thought it's good that they decided to make a game, not anime. I'm not expecting too much of it though.

Toki767

Still a few games left on my previous giveaway in case people weren't awake like 8 hours ago.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-CD92155C085EA5F1
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-D41DA0D994FA741B
Bastion -- MB-C59AB48D6E43B2FB
Brutal Legend -- MB-AF9E03B822C95776
Trine 2 Complete Story -- MB-62EF06E1F4123357
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-84624A2E2305DE2B
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-4FBDA2B03B56C547

The_Monk

Interesting. Not directly related but have you played To the Moon? Would a game like that grabbed your attention for the apparent emotional story or it did nothing to you?

Kabouter

Interesting. Not directly related but have you played To the Moon? Would a game like that grabbed your attention for the apparent emotional story or it did nothing to you?

I haven't gotten around to To the Moon yet sadly, so I can't compare the two, sorry.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Good morning Gaf, you are looking fine today,

Woke up and remembered there is some fresh Bioshock infinity waiting to be installed.
This is going to be one fine sale.

Not really a fan of what little I've played of Monaco but holy shit is Electronic Super Joy some kind of bizarre and awesome revelation. It's the platforming equivalent of a Pan Galatic Gargle Blaster smashing your brain when you first play it. OH YEAH!

I paid .79 cents for that game and it could easily be my game of the sale.

Copons

No, not at all.

There is no story in 9.03m, no feels, no nothing. Basically it's just a fundraiser for the tsunami victims disguised as an Unreal mod where you have to follow a path and click on a couple of objects.
It could have been much better even with the same mechanics, but this is way too impersonal to convey anything really. And I'm deeply touched and involved by the theme, so I expected it to hit way harder on me, but instead I got basically nothing.

Arthea

Alice won?
That was unexpected, as I'm from land where Alice's base price is still 49,99€, need to find options. BTW Alice isn't region locked, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom