• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hair isn't actually achieved using PhysX (a common misconception, don't worry). Alice uses it for fluid simulation, additional pretty butterflies (i.e. particle effects) and real-time destruction -- the thing is, though, all effects were pared down in the final release compared to what Nvidia had earlier demonstrated (fluid and particles were immensely reduced and the real-time destruction is limited to a certain point later in the game [you'll know when you reach it]).

Okay, but how's the gameplay? Every time I hear about this game they talk about the hair and the PhysX. Is this game enjoyable on a stock-standard Radeon?

Backlogger

the fact its on Uplay is the only reason i'm still debating picking it up

I don't have a problem with uPlay necessarily. Its just hard enough as it is to manage my backlog not to have to think about what other clients I have purchased games on. I am going to hold out for a low price on Steam.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Quite worried about Revengeance's port. Japanese Dev, first PC port... And it's not like the Metal Gear games have a record of good one's either...

The tradingscene on the Steam forums got a bit more active since this sale. I'm getting closer and closer to crafting some badges. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, but how's the gameplay? Every time I hear about this game they talk about the hair and the PhysX. Is this game enjoyable on a stock-standard Radeon?

The game is quite long and has a small bag of tricks, so you may find that it drags on. But it looks great and the story does involve some rather surprising themes (actual end-game spoiler)
(the fractured narrative threads eventually coalesce to reveal that Alice's older sister was molested and the psychologist she was seeing uses his talents to damage the mental integrity of his female patients for the purpose of sex slavery)

The game is quite long and has a small bag of tricks, so you may find that it drags on. But it looks great and the story does involve some rather surprising themes (actual end-game spoiler)
(the fractured narrative threads eventually coalesce to reveal that Alice's younger sister was molested and the psychiatrist she was seeing uses his talents to damage the mental integrity of his female patients for the purpose of sex slavery)

Okay. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll give it a pass for now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm going to go on record and say that crafting the holiday badge, especially to some of the ridiculous levels I've seen, is a waste of money.

The average price to complete the badge right now is about $5. Even if you get all of your cards from buying games and crafting other badges, your trade off is still $5 you could have in your Steam wallet to buy more games.

I guess there is an off chance that you'll craft the badge and win an item that's worth more than $5. But still, I don't think I'm going to craft even a level 1 badge this sale.

Piano

Banned
(the fractured narrative threads eventually coalesce to reveal that Alice's younger sister was molested and the psychologist she was seeing uses his talents to damage the mental integrity of his female patients for the purpose of sex slavery)
One of the most shocking and satisfying game endings I can remember.
Game can be a grind but I enjoyed it.

I'm going to go on record and say that crafting the holiday badge, especially to some of the ridiculous levels I've seen, is a waste of money.

The average price to complete the badge right now is about $5. Even if you get all of your cards from buying games and crafting other badges, your trade off is still $5 you could have in your Steam wallet to buy more games.

I guess there is an off chance that you'll craft the badge and win an item that's worth more than $5. But still, I don't think I'm going to craft even a level 1 badge this sale.

I like having the badge (and the xp). You don't get 100xp for each level though, just once, right?

maneil99

Repost (I hope Moddy doesn't get confused)

Somehow the first wait for the new dailies is always the worst for me. So here's something to pass the time:

a) If the key doesn't work, pm me as I had two and might have confused them.
b) When registering it will say something like DE for the German version but it's uncut, no restrictions.

Not entering but black ops 2 is awessuuuum!

JaseC

Yeah, I crunched the numbers earlier and realised it'd cost me $150 to max out the standard globe badge. If that drops to ~$100 towards the end of the sale, though, I'll be super tempted simply because the cards expire.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Any recommendations for someone with a 7yr old PC which can't play 99.5% of all games out today and got a free weekend till Sunday evening?

Super House Of Dead Ninjas. Going down through a tower in "side scrolling" action style with a variety of weapons, abilities, and unlockables that make a ninja father proud.
You can try a free version of the original House Of Dead Ninjas

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition and/or System Shock 2. Two both classic games that still hold a lot of importance and fun in the modern day and age.

Fortix and Fortix 2

Toki Toki , a fun puzzle platformer.

Any Worms.

Everyone vote for Hard Reset, fantastic shooter!

Done.

Is the Stanley Parable worth it if I already played and enjoyed the original mod?

Depends if you want more endings and bit more narration. It's improved from the original mod with more to do, but it's not a drastically changed game beyond aesthetics.

I say it's worth it, but I still want more endings to entertain me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like having the badge (and the xp). You don't get 100xp for each level though, just once, right?

100 XP each level, if that's your thing

w7iEje6.png

Yeah, I crunched the numbers earlier and realised it'd cost me $150 to max out the standard globe badge. If that drops to ~$100 towards the end of the sale, though, I'll be super tempted simply because the cards expire.

Is 30 the max? I thought there was no limit, at least that's what they've said.

cicero

Haha, I considered jumping on Barbie earlier so it could collect dust in my inventory until I need it to hit 3k, but ultimately decided to wait for 50% off.
ohhh, Jace... :|

So many GOG games could be bought with that $22.49. You are going to have to start collecting there too someday, might as well start in earnest now.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
One of the most shocking and satisfying game endings I can remember.
Game can be a grind but I enjoyed it.
So bittersweet.
I'm normally a pasive kinda guy, but when Alice pushed the doc infront of that train, I really didn't mind. What a despicable monster that "man" was.
Sad that, after dealing with all those trauma's for the past twenty hours, it ends with Alice's mind fractured, Wonderland and reality mixing. All because of her psychiatrist.

ys45

Decided to get Eldritch, not sure if it's good , anyone played this ?
Currently at work so i guess I'l find out tonight .

Dr Dogg

Well you can get roughly 12 cards through Community Votes if you catch them all. Factor in crafting other badges that only require a few cheap cards from the market to get card drops you could do it to level 2, if you get no repeats for a couple of dollars.

Hahaha or if you really want it by the end of the sale I'll shoot you over my spares if it helps.

JaseC

I poked around a bunch of profiles earlier and 30 was the highest I saw. Maybe the badge is capped to 30 but there's no limit on the amount of times you can craft using the cards?

I had everything in the Squuenix Christmas Coal pack, what a surprise. Gave them as a xmas present for my brother so that's something (sorry GAF, you are next in line, I promise!)

jshackles

I had everything in the Squuenix Christmas Coal pack, what a surprise. Gave them as a xmas present for my brother so that's something (sorry GAF, you are next in line, I promise!)

Out of curiosity, what were they?

Tremis

This man does his research.
Decided to get Eldritch, not sure if it's good , anyone played this ?
Currently at work so i guess I'l find out tonight .

I got it for free off a dev twitch stream. Wasn't that impressed, but my expectations were much different than what the game it. Wanted more items, monsters, etc. Personally I'm more pumped about The Spire for my FPS rogue-likes.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I've spent maybe 8-ish bucks of my steam wallet (all from selling other cards and Dota items) crafting other badges, and I've got 9 out of 10 for the first Globe. Probably won't continue after that.

(the fractured narrative threads eventually coalesce to reveal that Alice's younger sister was molested and the psychologist she was seeing uses his talents to damage the mental integrity of his female patients for the purpose of sex slavery)

Isn't it the
older sister
?

But yeah, game does wear out its welcome somewhat (more specifically, the limited combat options gets pretty boring), but I thought it was worth persevering to the end.

Colin.

So you can level up infinitely, until the sale is over? Think that's the first time that's happened with a badge, Good for those that like boosting their level, I guess. I will probably only craft one level, as it wouldn't be worth the cost to go much higher.

Faabulous

All you need to do is add a US-based billing address to your account and switch to it while checking out. It's best to avoid states that charge sales tax on digital goods and to that end I myself use the address of Google's CA-based HQ.

Thanks for the tips! Will I need a VPN or somthing like that? Amazon.com just shows tha Brazillian front.

I'm sure some fellow GAFfer will be able to help you out... December 26th is the day to look for them. $11.99 for Marvel and $7.49 for LOTR.

I'll mark that day down so I don't forget. Thanks bud.

w7iEje6.png

Ouch...so that makes this the first infinite (or at least 30x) xp source in the system - really throwing things off-balance imo. Not that Steam level means anything...don't judge me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom