• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
How terrifying is Outlast anyway?

I played It when it came out.

Its not really that scary. At least, not for that long. The game relies too heavily on the same jump scare tactics for too much of the game.

Its a entertaining time, but it can get rather repetitive later on. The first hour or so is the best part.

If you can get a good ideal on it, I would recommend it though.

Curious_George

Neo Member
Papers, Please or Guacamelee.

Which game will give me the most amount of fun?

I would imagine if fun is your criteria Guacamelee would be superior. Papers, Please seems really interesting, but I can't say it seems terribly fun to play.

Also, want to thank Rhaknar for SPAZ. I somehow have managed to miss that one in various bundles, so I grabbed it because I could go for a good space shooter.

C4rter

Ok here we go, hopefully I did this all correctly, I was getting seriously crosseyed halfway through >_<

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whichever... enjoy guys, hopefully this makes your day a little brighter. Thanks for having me :)

Thanks for Revenge of the Titans. Such a great giveaway.

Vodh

Ok here we go, hopefully I did this all correctly, I was getting seriously crosseyed halfway through >_<

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whichever... enjoy guys, hopefully this makes your day a little brighter. Thanks for having me :)

Thank you! Grabbed Sol Survivor, I love TD genre and I remember considering this game quite a few times :)

random

Thanks Alo81 for the heads up about the Humble sale, Guacamelee was on the top of my list. (edit: they sent me an "Amazon Payments delay notification". I picket amazon payments, and Amazon wants to take 24 hours for "manual investigation" of the transaction :(
I've asked if Humble could cancel the order, so I can choose a different payment method.)

Thank you Rhaknar for Legend of Fae, and for the awesome giveaway. You gave away so much that Modbot 3 had to spring into action in order to get the code to me.

And once more thanks to drgambit for Gish and to mmitt for RUSH (and sorry for spending more time whining about not buying the bundle instead of the full game in the PM, than thanking you :D )

Since I have received so much generosity, I thought I'd give away one of my favorite games of this year (that just so happens to be very cheap at the moment).

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Electronic Super Joy -- MB-94908D71EA22AB95 - Taken by Nymphae. 15 entrants total.

t1387568933z1.png

Did I miss getting Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut for $4.99? I own the original game and the Missing Link DLC, but it looks like it's listed as $9.99 now.

The sale discount override the discount for the owners of the game and the DLC. Wait until the sale ends and it'll be back to the previous price.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

reposting cause theres a few left in case someone missed it

edit: well that failed >_>

Very tempted to get Quac and Papers at those prices but i am still not sold on either game.

Not sold on Guacamelee?
Do you not like games?
Or do you just require maximum shootbangs for your satisfaction? :p

The real question is "do you like metroidvania style games such as Symphony of the Night?"

If you remotely like that style of game, FUCKING BUY IT and thank us later. :p

The game has some ridiculously deep combat options for being a 2D brawler, it has some of the most challenging and satisifying platforming, and the charm and humour are top notch.

That Guacamelee price on the Humble Store is all kinds of amazeballs.

At first I thought this said "kind of." And I almost took offense. :p
But then I re-read it to be sure and you're absolutely right. Offering this game for that price is downright ridiculous.
It should be illegal not to support Drinkbox at amazeballs prices like this.

Enco

Thanks for all the opinions.

I'll give the Papers Please demo another try (tried it ages ago) and I'll check out some more Guacamelee videos. They both sound solid though,

Metro for Steam skin, the best one I've used so far. Though I do miss a few of the things AIR did, Metro doesn't cut features to keep its minimalism theme true.
Personally I prefer Savvy UI. The downloads menu is broken but it's very easily fixed.

Let's not forget that B&W wasn't particularly good either, not bad though.
Still no DK or Populous.

It also handled save games really badly--about halfway through the second area, it would take forever to save your game. I never made it past that point in the game despite trying twice. Don't know if they ever managed to fix that issue.

smr00

Banned
Not sold on Guacamelee?
Do you not like games?
Or do you just require maximum shootbangs for your satisfaction? :p

The real question is "do you like metroidvania style games such as Symphony of the Night?"

If you remotely like that style of game, FUCKING BUY IT and thank us later. :p

The game has some ridiculously deep combat options for being a 2D brawler, it has some of the most challenging and satisifying platforming, and the charm and humour are top notch.

At first I thought this said "kind of." And I almost took offense. :p
But then I re-read it to be sure and you're absolutely right. Offering this game for that price is downright criminal.
Shooters are my least favorite genre. I am off put by all the meme bullshit.

How terrifying is Outlast anyway?

provided you play the game in exactly the way you need to in order to be scared, you'll be scared. the problem is that there is zero incentive to do this and you can very easily break just about every encounter in Outlast by simply ignoring the rules and playing by chaotic trial and error. eventually it becomes an exercise in figuring out a series of very specific button presses while deranged men yell at you. there is zero room for improvisation or accounting for any real sense of player agency. it's a carnival horror ride.

Logistic

Question : will batman : origins go any lower then this ?
If not. ill buy it at the end of the sales.

Batman: AO will be $20 later on Amazon.

It can also be had for $20 now, on GMG. Use code: GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49

GMG will provide a steam key - I bought and activated yesterday, no problems.

Season pass also on sale for $8

Parsnip

Extra code from SE surprise present, maybe someone doesn't have this yet.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Just Cause 2 -- -- MB-71BDD35636C9CF33 - Taken by xBlain

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Huh. The proposed flash deal discount for Risk of Rain has dropped to 33% from 40%. Now says the game will be $6.70 instead of $6.

It's still the best choice of the three but that's kinda :/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Huh. The proposed flash deal discount for Risk of Rain has dropped to 33% from 40%. Now says the game will be $6.70 instead of $6.

It's on sale for the same price on the Humble Store right now I believe.

Fox318

Even if you don't care for the game, for $2 it's worth it as a visual showpiece. It looks stunning.

Not really, no.

BioShock Infinite and Skyrim hold that honor.
Dear Esther should be called Walking: The game. Its a nice looking tech demo instead of a full featured game. The story isn't even that memorable, the only thing that people talk about is the stalagmites and stalactites.
still better than Gone Home. :p

Gone home you are atleast trying to solve a mystery.

Voho

Is Nether good, GAF? It looks like an awesome game, but with so many negative steam reviews and it being only 40% off, I don't know if I should bite :/

Shooters are my least favorite genre. I am off put by all the meme bullshit.

Memes? Like references to some of the old school classic games?

If that's the case, this isn't Retro City Rampage where it just throws them at you left and right to try to be entertaining -- there's some classic 8-bit references in the story and a few clever spoofs on billboards and stuff, but again, most of it is not in your face.

The notable big ones that I can think of offhand, from the 4 hours I put into it for my 5th or so playthrough the other day:
Story:
Ability statues reference chozo statues from Metroid series.
Killing the first boss is done via a chase with ends with a Super Mario Bros. Bowser reference. (Including some dialogue about Princess is in another castle...)
Side quest where the brother that has to be found looks like the guy from Zelda II that says "I AM ERROR".

Other:
Billboard poster for Mexican Super Mario Bros. wrestling duo.
Billboard for something based of Link/Zelda.

There may be more, but

Wow. So I got it for $0.04 less than that last night then! HAHAHA. Works for me.
Still amazing. People should vote for it and buy it immediately when it goes live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom