• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miker

Memes? Like references to some of the old school classic games?

If that's the case, this isn't Retro City Rampage where it just throws them at you left and right to try to be entertaining -- there's some classic 8-bit references in the story and a few clever spoofs on billboards and stuff, but again, most of it is not in your face.

I think he's talking about rage faces. By the way, you should fix your spoiler tags.

An-Det

Is there a quick way to see what games you've already unlocked steam cards for (even if I've already sold them off)? I can make a reasonable guess for some, but I have no idea if I played (for example) Half Life 2 before or after they were added.

smr00

Banned
Memes? Like references to some of the old school classic games?

If that's the case, this isn't Retro City Rampage where it just throws them at you left and right to try to be entertaining -- there's some classic 8-bit references in the story and a few clever spoofs on billboards and stuff, but again, most of it is not in your face.

The notable big ones that I can think of offhand, from the 4 hours I put into it for my 5th or so playthrough the other day:
Homages to classic games is fine but when you start throwing in memes i just don't know.

Do you know what a meme is? I am talking about ORLY owl, grumpy cat, business cat, me gusta etc. etc. I get enough of that shit on the internet and i don't need it in my games. I remember a lot of people complaining about the overuse of shitty memes in the game when it came out and that's why i am hesitant in buying it. That stuff distracts and pulls me out the game. Again, clever signs and stuff that is a throwback to games is awesome. I loved that in Retro City rampage. I just don't want to see goddamn fucking grumpy cat in a video game.

Eternia

Is there a quick way to see what games you've already unlocked steam cards for (even if I've already sold them off)? I can make a reasonable guess for some, but I have no idea if I played (for example) Half Life 2 before or after they were added.
Your badge page in your profile will state how many drops are remaining per game.

I'm using EnhancedSteam and I can see my Booster Pack Eligibility (games I've already completed all my card drops). I don't know if it's on regular steam. It shows in my "Badges" section.

Homages to classic games is fine but when you start throwing in memes i just don't know.

Do you know what a meme is? I am talking about ORLY owl, grumpy cat, business cat, me gusta etc. etc. I get enough of that shit on the internet and i don't need it in my games.

Yeah, I know what a meme is -- but I don't recall any of them being in Guacamelee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagQmdKOPDA

There are apparently more than I thought but still there's not a lot -- because they're not story related and are usually billboards that are sort of ... faded... in a lot of spots, I never really noticed them, TBH. I don't recall most of those other than the nostalgia references I pointed out up above... and I know some of those memes too (though some I have no idea of what they are exactly)

Personally, I don't think a lot of them are obtrusive unless you're actually LOOKING for them... and I think it would be a shame for someone who might like this sort of thing to miss out on a FANTASTIC game because of it.

The whole internet meme stuff in Guacamelee is really overblown. It's mostly in one area of the game in the background. If that's a deal breaker then I don't know how you possibly can stand to even be on GAF.

Thank you. Again, I wasn't even aware there was some sort of meme outrage about the game... I bought it the day it released on PSN, immediately platinumed it, and then picked it up during the Thanksgiving Sale on Steam. I lost 4-5 hours one night because I booted it up and wanted to see if the DS4 tool SCM server would make my DS4 work with it. :lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm using EnhancedSteam and I can see my Booster Pack Eligibility (games I've already completed all my card drops). I don't know if it's on regular steam.

In "regular Steam" (who uses that crap anymore, anyway) you can click the "View my booster pack eligibility" button on your badge progress page which will show a list of all of the games you've idled all of the cards from. If you want to know the total number of games, you'll have to count them by hand
or install Enhanced Steam

Arkanius

Wow, that Shadowrun Returns deal on Humble Store is the same discount on the Flash sale that never was?
Guess I'll bite and help a charity

An-Det

Your badge page in your profile will state how many drops are remaining per game.

I'm using EnhancedSteam and I can see my Booster Pack Eligibility (games I've already completed all my card drops). I don't know if it's on regular steam. It shows in my "Badges" section.

Thanks, found it! I've got Enhanced Steam already, never looked around at the badges stuff. I've got so many more games with badges than I thought.

In "regular Steam" (who uses that crap anymore, anyway) you can click the "View my booster pack eligibility" button on your badge progress page which will show a list of all of the games you've idled all of the cards from. If you want to know the total number of games, you'll have to count them by hand
or install Enhanced Steam

I don't use the my Steam client anymore. Well, only for playing games and registering bundles keys. Enhanced Steam for the win!

Wow this is my first steam sale and this is so overwhelming with all the daily deals, flash deals, and picks. It is also hard to tell what is good and what isn't. It gets a bit stressful when you only have 8 hours to research. Though I heard that at the end of the sale sometimes steam does a little recap on the games that had big sales.

I am interested in Counter Strike and Bioshock bundle. I also want to try out Chivalry, Half Minute Hero, Monaco, Speedrunner, and Guns Of Icarus. Multiplayer games and RPGs are of huge interest to me. Also isn't there a game that is hailed as "What Diablo 3 should have been?" I may be interested in that as well.

KarmaCow

The whole internet meme stuff in Guacamelee is really overblown. It's mostly in one area of the game in the background. If that's a deal breaker then I don't know how you possibly can stand to even be on GAF.

Wow this is my first steam sale and this is so overwhelming with all the daily deals, flash deals, and picks. It is also hard to tell what is good and what isn't. It gets a bit stressful when you only have 8 hours to research. Though I heard that at the end of the sale sometimes steam does a little recap on the games that had big sales.

I am interested in Counter Strike and Bioshock bundle. I also want to try out Chivalry, Half Minute Hero, Monaco, Speedrunner, and Guns Of Icarus. Multiplayer games and RPGs are of huge interest to me. Also isn't there a game that is hailed as "What Diablo 3 should have been?" I may be interested in that as well.

Don't get too caught up in buying absolutely everything you're interested in. It's easy to get caught of the trap of buying a game and not even installing it by the time the next sale comes up and the game ends up being cheaper.

Also do you mean Path of Exile? That's a Free 2 Play game so you don't have to worry about missing a sale on it. :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Do you know what a meme is? I am talking about ORLY owl, grumpy cat, business cat, me gusta etc. etc. I get enough of that shit on the internet and i don't need it in my games. I remember a lot of people complaining about the overuse of shitty memes in the game when it came out and that's why i am hesitant in buying it. That stuff distracts and pulls me out the game. Again, clever signs and stuff that is a throwback to games is awesome. I loved that in Retro City rampage. I just don't want to see goddamn fucking grumpy cat in a video game.

A meme is a repeated idea, behaviour, or pattern spread from person to person in the same or related culture. The use of ideas and styles born from games like Metroid

What you are referring to is specifically "internet memes", bad jokes or catchphrases basically born and bread and spread across the internet. Don't worry though, that stuff really isn't in Gucamelee. At least, if it was, I didn't notice or recall them and I don't care for them one bit beyond what we create in SteamGAF thread for ourselves.

Nabs

Yeah, I missed most of 'em during my playthrough.

Don't play guacamelee if you have a low tolerance for meme bullshit. It's aggressively unfunny.

It's hard to write off as "in the background" when the background art is 90% of what you look at.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Is Nether good, GAF? It looks like an awesome game, but with so many negative steam reviews and it being only 40% off, I don't know if I should bite :/

Nether was by the ppl that did the War Z game that changed its name to Infestation that no one liked.

OKAY, I need to step in for a second on Nether.

Nether is NOT made by the people who made Infection Vaccine Stories at all, they made the World War Z game based on the MOVIE on iOS.

And Nether isn't bad, I've played it for about three hours so far with a friend, and while more stuff does get updated and needs to be updated, I do like the systems it has in place. But think of it less as a straight-up survival game, it has more RPG elements than Day Z for example and feels more game-y. The environment, ability to explore a lot of buildings, and variety of monsters is fun and appreciated though, and surviving can definitely be tough.

I'll try and make a thorough video showing a more in-depth review of the game, but the developers have been kind and for some reason people have this weird misunderstanding that it is somehow connected to that OTHER game.

Path of Exile (f2P) or TL2.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Also isn't there a game that is hailed as "What Diablo 3 should have been?" I may be interested in that as well.

I believe that is Torchlight II. A game I quite enjoyed as being more of what I wanted from Diablo 2, but appreciate for different reasons to Diablo 3 I have on PS3 (I prefer being able to play offline, with friends in the same room).

Chojka

Merry Happy Holidays!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crysis 2 -- MB-22FB250B94714E67 - Taken by kulapik
Chivalry -- MB-8664C8F4BCDEB22D - Taken by rainking187
Far Cry 3 -- MB-677CEFC3C0B8EB8D - Taken by The_Monk
Total War Shogun 2 -- MB-A019343105144D51 - Taken by Kifimbo

smr00

Banned
Don't play guacamelee if you have a low tolerance for meme bullshit. It's aggressively unfunny.

It's hard to write off as "in the background" when the background art is 90% of what you look at.
This is why i haven't bought it yet.

I am sure the gameplay is outstanding but internet memes just infuriate me.

Yeah, I missed most of 'em during my playthrough.

Exactly.

Again, I didn't notice half of references let alone memes that weren't story related because they were on a billboard around the 2nd town.

To me, aggressively unfunny is RCR. That game seemed to keep throwing references at you in hopes that one would stick. Guacamelee's references don't come off as forced to me, though some are pretty cheesy and I could see others not finding them amusing (I rolled my eyes at some of them too..)

BTW your edit is bullshit. 90% of what you look at? Yeah. And 172% of all statistics are made up.

This is why i haven't bought it yet.

I am sure the gameplay is outstanding but internet memes just infuriate me.

He's exaggerating about 90% of what you look at. Check that video I posted if you want a better idea of the actual "meme" content.

Dingotech

Wow, that Shadowrun Returns deal on Humble Store is the same discount on the Flash sale that never was?
Guess I'll bite and help a charity

Looks more expensive to me @ $11.99, that's only a 40% discount instead of 55%.

Also everybody should vote for and buy Risk of Rain, it's an excellent game!!

kennah

Tempted to jump on the EVE online deal but I'm two years clean from my old account and really don't think I should get back into an MMO.

But it's so relaxing!

Anybody interested in buying a copy of Divinity Dragon commander?
I bought a 4 pack from a fellow gaffer so I got some copies left.
I'm selling at cost for 7.50

Cheddahz

Banned
Tempted to jump on the EVE online deal but I'm two years clean from my old account and really don't think I should get back into an MMO.

But it's so relaxing!

Well, just remember that it's the starter kit that is on sale, so you would need to start a new account!

The_Monk

Merry Happy Holidays!

Amazing gifts! Thank you for your kindness.

I'm watching a stream of the DayZ standalone, now if I put it full screen and place my hands on the keyboard it's almost like I'm playing it, aaaw yeah.

EDIT: Oh wait, I won! That's amazing, hmm but I have an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom