• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Damn it all!

Well, the situation isn't actually messy: the state of Rhode Island owns the game and it has in fact gone on sale exactly once since the dissolution of 38 Studios (the story there is an interesting one). The issue is simply that nobody close to the situation cares enough to oversee the game with regularity. The Amalur IP was supposed to be sold off a couple of weeks ago, however the reserve price was too high and it failed to find a home.

Colin.

Man, that is a lot of games. Generous of you Wok (too bad I have most of them) And 2 threads within one sale. This has to be one of the most active GAF communities for sure.

Tizoc

Shelter won the community vote it seems?
EDIT: Bleh nah damn Vote is still going on, could've sworn it showed that it won o_O

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Well, the situation isn't actually messy: the state of Rhode Island owns the game and it has in fact gone on sale exactly once since the dissolution of 38 Studios (the story there is an interesting one). The issue is simply that nobody close to the situation cares enough to oversee the game with regularity. The Amalur IP was supposed to be sold off a couple of weeks ago, however the reserve price was too high and it failed to find a home.

Ahhh I see. Thanks for the details.

Tellaerin

Merry Christmas, AM SteamGAF. : ) Now to finish cleaning up and try to go back to sleep for a bit before the obligatory family stuff later this afternoon. Whee!

legacyzero

Banned
Another christmas sale of Dissapointment.

On the bright side? Left 4 Dead/L4D2 might be free today

tumblr_lgdyizfoel1qghs8go1_500.jpg

Enco

Ok, Papers Please is awesome.

On day 7 (I think). Oh lawd the strip searching. The character stories.. the hard choices.. Good stuff.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Did we ever have a second thread for a Seasonal sale?

Also, Cabin in the woods is pretty good, you guys should watch it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
F2P? How so?

There are no indicators as to how Valve plans to monetise the game, but:

Valve's added a few "No Cost" subs for L4D2 to the registry (ROW, German LV and Aussie LV). Assuming this isn't a mistake, it may be pointing to:

- Left 4 Dead 2 going F2P, with the subs being necessary because of the German/Australian low-violence versions, or
- A crafting system (or equivalent) for the Winter Sale, as the 2011 subs for these items also have a billing type of 0

In both cases, though, there's the question of why the existing subs weren't just updated accordingly.

If the game does go F2P today (Valve added "Christmas 2013" DLC to the subs a few days ago), let the record reflect that I totally called it. ;)

Mugatu

Did we ever have a second thread for a Seasonal sale?

Also, Cabin in the woods is pretty good, you guys should watch it.

I liked it but it really left me wanting more - I sort of want them to do a prequel or sequel but I'd be worried that they would ruin it.

I was just about to ask about that - are people buying this on PC? I heard it was a trainwreck of no-optimization?

I really wish Activision would step up and have a nice big old-COD bundle for cheap though.

i've been waiting for the war chest (cod 1/2/united offensive to go 75% off) but the most they've marked it down is 50% in past sales. Mind you these are 5+ year old games

I was just about to ask about that - are people buying this on PC? I heard it was a trainwreck of no-optimization?

I really wish Activision would step up and have a nice big old-COD bundle for cheap though.

Don't get it. This game is an optimization mess. You are better off getting COD4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom