• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

I don't agree at all, actually. Cook, Serve, Delicious! and Stealth Bastard was made with Game Maker Studio, and Hotline Miami, Risk of Rain and Samauri Gunn were made with GM7/8.

I started with zero programming skills and now have average knowledge of GML, yet I can go from concept to game in six months and easily port across desktop and mobile. It's crazy.

Now, if your planning on console development, then you should probably look at other game making tools. But GM Studio has come a long way since the last year, and I wouldn't think of using anything else.

Glad o got the standard version for free. I've been curious. Where's a good place to start?

dot

klHWmPE.png

Yay! Thank you Lain!

yur cool

wait why are we still in OT2?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Any rumblings of Injustice being 20 buckaroonies again on amazon in the editors choice shit?

Dr Dogg

I don't agree at all, actually. Cook, Serve, Delicious! and Stealth Bastard was made with Game Maker Studio, and Hotline Miami, Risk of Rain and Samauri Gunn were made with GM7/8.

I started with zero programming skills and now have average knowledge of GML, yet I can go from concept to game in six months and easily port across desktop and mobile. It's crazy.

Now, if your planning on console development, then you should probably look at other game making tools. But GM Studio has come a long way since the last year, and I wouldn't think of using anything else.

Really? That's interesting to know. Last time I played around with Game Maker was the demo version for 4 and that seams you were limited to sprite based, scripted AI type stuff. Seams it would have been great for side scrollers, top down shooter or maybe RPGs but not much else. Saying that just looking at the Master Collection it seams to be a complete suite now.

Salsa

totes not OT1's edition™

snow.gif
snow.gif

iksgGkhsLPbQV.gif

Daily Deals:

PSYCH!
mole_popout1.gif

*wall of text you won't read*​

ModBot is a robot that can securely and conveniently give away Steam keys for games. Made by fellow mod sensation Stumpokapow.

How to give something away:
>>>>CLICK FOR MORE INFO<<<<

MODBOT ALSO WORKS WITH GIFTS THAT ARE NOT KEYS

What this means is that you can send yourself a steam gift through email, and send modbot the GIFT'S URL. Thus you can use it (and it is encouraged) to make giveaways in this very thread during the sales.

5dfTeqM.png

When you receive the email, scroll to the bottom. There will be a section titled, 'To receive your gift:' and a url below it.

Enter that URL in a PM to modbot.

TL;DR:

iniV7vH0rbiX4.gif

Users that are willing to help by gifting (in exchange of the proper value sent through paypal) games from other, cheaper regions:

Japanator:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/japanator

Useful Sites:

For better browsing on the different store prices (depending on region) you can always use SteamPrices

For better browsing of every game on sale at the moment I recommend using SteamGameSales

For better everything. Install Enhanced Steam on your browser

bazooper:​

iQUuqIEuipOTf.gif

iQUuqIEuipOTf.gif

iQUuqIEuipOTf.gif

iQUuqIEuipOTf.gif

iQUuqIEuipOTf.gif

---
snow.gif
snow.gif
---

mods in drunk and interrupting my drunkness make this into a new thread PLZ luv u

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Guys. Guys, what are you doing, guys.

GAF threads over 200/400 pages threaten the structural integrity of the server super cluster. Don't you hear all those ominous creaking and groaning sounds?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I hope everyone in the future is enjoying 2014 so far, I know I am. Ys Origin, such fun to be the first game of the new year.

For those getting ready to celebrate it, enjoy and remember to recall all the fun times you've had and look forward to what has so far been fun elsewhere.

To this thread itself, you did well non-sentient collection of posts. You've earned your rest.

For Deadpool? I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere about not longer being offered. Perhaps those who can no longer get the title can try to make him in Scribblenauts Unmasked. Try "parody Deathstroke".

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Really? That's interesting to know. Last time I played around with Game Maker was the demo version for 4 and that seams you were limited to sprite based, scripted AI type stuff. Seams it would have been great for side scrollers, top down shooter or maybe RPGs but not much else. Saying that just looking at the Master Collection it seams to be a complete suite now.

It's definitely made leaps and bounds. It was bought out by another company a while back, so it's grown quite a bit since then.

It's no longer a simple little thing to play around with, for sure. The funny thing is I used Game Maker so I wouldn't have to learn programming, and now I'm more of a programmer than ever before, hah.

dani_dc

I am aware of the games released with Gamemaker, that doesn't necessarly makes it a good tool.

I'm just going by the feedback of several classmates that worked with the tool during this semester.
Mostly comments that GM introduced more issues (some of which obscure) compared to other tools or programming the projects from scratch, and that the only advantage was getting things running quickly for prototyping.

Of course they all have background with programming, so their perspective from GM is probably very different from someone that started working with it without programming skills.

But as I said, I don't have much personal experience with it (I used Unity since me and one of my group coworkers had some experience with it), so it would be a bit silly to spend too much time arguing about it, might pick it up during this sale myself.
Just saw a lot of frustation around GM at the time (and by at the time I mean this last semester).

Its like Sims 3 and some other EA games right now.

You can find it on reddit if you start digging.

Thanks!

cicero

I bought XCOM Enemy Unknown but haven't played it yet. Is it worth playing vanilla before doing Enemy Within? I was thinking of maybe waiting on Enemy Within until it hit $7.50.

rrs

404 new thread not found
I bought XCOM Enemy Unknown but haven't played it yet. Is it worth playing vanilla before doing Enemy Within? I was thinking of maybe waiting on Enemy Within until it hit $7.50.
Could be $10/7.50 during summer sales at the least, but since within changes things you'll be best playing vanilla first time

C4rter

It's surely good to get to know the mechanics because EW is cranking it up a notch. But I think on lower difficulties you could manage to start with EW. It's just a different experience of basically the same story with some other passages.

Santini

I spent 115 hours on EU and only just bought EW (and the Slingshot DLC) today.

So yes, it's definitely worth playing in its original incarnation if you're inclined to wait for a cheaper price. Plenty of gaming goodness to be had!

Gvaz

Banned

GAF threads over 200/400 pages threaten the structural integrity of the server super cluster. Don't you hear all those ominous creaking and groaning sounds?

Then gaf should get better servers because other forums have no issues.

Kadin

Why does GameMaker: Studio Pro show $99.99 normally on Steam yet it's listed as $49.99 on YoYo's Game's site? Obviously the Steam sale price is better, just wondering about the discrepancy with the normal price.

rtcn63

It's cool, bro. SteamGAF's next leap, may very well be the next leap home.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Now now, lets not fetish shame people.

Unless they're furries or diaper/scat fans. Then it's okay to get the firewood and the stake ready.

:p

I would get it on with a cat lady before I got it on with a Dino lady tbh... Wait, what? Nvm :(

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
It's cool, bro. SteamGAF's next leap, may very well be the next leap home.

Hmm, I could buy JaseC as Ziggy with all that knowledge of games across various regions.

So before the thread is closed, what is the threads desire for community vote? I have no interest in any of them and leave it up to you.

cicero

404 new thread not found

Could be $10/7.50 during summer sales at the least, but since within changes things you'll be best playing vanilla first time
It's surely good to get to know the mechanics because EW is cranking it up a notch. But I think on lower difficulties you could manage to start with EW. It's just a different experience of basically the same story with some other passages.
I spent 115 hours on EU and only just bought EW (and the Slingshot DLC) today.

So yes, it's definitely worth playing in its original incarnation if you're inclined to wait for a cheaper price. Plenty of gaming goodness to be had!
Thanks for the feedback.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I am aware of the games released with Gamemaker, that doesn't necessarly makes it a good tool.

I'm just going by the feedback of several classmates that worked with the tool during this semester.
Mostly comments that GM introduced more issues (some of which obscure) compared to other tools or programming the projects from scratch, and that the only advantage was getting things running quickly for prototyping.

Of course they all have background with programming, so their perspective from GM is probably very different from someone that started working with it without programming skills.

But as I said, I don't have much personal experience with it (I used Unity since me and one of my group coworkers had some experience with it), so it would be a bit silly to spend too much time arguing about it, might pick it up during this sale myself.
Just saw a lot of frustation around GM at the time (and by at the time I mean this last semester).

Ah, well I haven't really used anything else so it's possible that things like Unity are better/faster. Still, GM is quite awesome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom