• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did pretty well:

Alan Wake Franchise (Collector's Edition, American Nightmare (Steam - $3.99)
Aliens: Colonial Marines (Amazon - $2.00)
Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC (Double-Barreled Shotgun/S.H.A.R.P. Sticks) (Steam - $1.02)
Alpha Protocol (GreenManGaming - $3.00)
Codemasters Bundle (Indiegala - $2.99)
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Steam - $3.74)
Don't Starve (Steam - $1.19)
Fallout (Good Old Games - $0.00)
Fallout 2 (Good Old Games - $0.00)
Fallout: Tactics (Good Old Games - $0.00)
FTL (NeoGAF - gift)
Garry's Mod (NeoGAF - gift)
Hotline Miami (NeoGAF - gift)
Left 4 Dead 2 (Steam - promotion/gift)
Magicka DLC's (Aspiring Musician Robes, Gamer Bundle, Grimnir's Laboratory, Nippon, Party Robes, Wizard's Survival Kit) (GreenManGaming - $1.20)
Mass Effect 3: N7 Digital Deluxe Edition (GreenManGaming - $5.90)
The Orange Box (GreenManGaming - $3.80)
Quantum Conundrum + DLC (Amazon - $1.19)
Tropico Bundle (Indiegala - $5.99)
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition (NeoGAF - gift)

Plus there were the Assassin's Creed II Deluxe and Borderlands 2 (gift) games I bought/gave away.

About $40 spent this sale, I think.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Is Valdis Story a difficult game? What is is comparable to? The trailer looks (and sounds) fantastic, but I suck at "hard" platformers/action games.

I have stayed away from Spelunky and La Mulana for instance.
La Mulana is though because of it's puzzles, not it's platforming or combat.
Well, except for the bosses.
Urgh. :(

Benedict

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way.

Steam Holiday Sale 2013...

Fonz72

La Mulana is though because of it's puzzles, not it's platforming or combat.
Well, except for the bosses.
Urgh. :(

The reviews I've read of Valdis said the bosses were the main hangup in difficulty as well.

I may wait for an indie bundle someday........then I can justify not playing it much because it was part of a group!

Wow - this might be the first steam sale in which I don't buy a single thing. Due to a combination of owning a bunch of the games on sale, not being interested in games on sale that I don't own, and a mounting backlog. Still hoping to pick something up before the sale ends..

DedValve

Banned
It will be playable, gonna run worse the more you explore of the world, but at least it's turnbased so you won't really need them FPS.
If you can stand it being sluggish and wait a while between turns (especially in the end), go for it.
At least you can set up games in small worlds with only a few opponents if it gets too bad in a big world.

Hmmm really tempted but I have no idea how bad the slowdowns are, hate them in any games since it really ruins the experience.

Hawkie

A big thank you to the GAF'fer who posted in one of the Steam threads about the AMD codes on EBay previously. Ended up with the new Thief for free. Thank you.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Can't think of one right now but I'm sure there were and still are games on Steam that do DLC not through Steam.
Pinball Arcade, I believe. Though they added the option to buy the various seasons through Steam.

And I think BioShock 2 used to be the same: you had to buy the DLC through GFWL.

Interfectum

Wow - this might be the first steam sale in which I don't buy a single thing. Due to a combination of owning a bunch of the games on sale, not being interested in games on sale that I don't own, and a mounting backlog. Still hoping to pick something up before the sale ends..

The next game selection (which is the last for the sale) will probably be an encore selection so... yeah.

Hauls aside, my "Deal of the Sale" has to be the Infinite season pass for $5. I'm glad they let another few thousand people grab it deliberately at that price -- I mean, had a "price mistake".

bj00rn_

Banned
Wait, why is it saying "offer ending in 3 hours" in games I have in my wishlist, is the sale over now. I thought it was ending tomorrow..?

Krakn3Dfx

No more Community voting.

The holidays are really over now. Dammit.

Wait, why is it saying "offer ending in 3 hours" in games I have in my wishlist, is the sale over now. I thought it was ending tomorrow..?

Yeah, clearly says it runs through 1/3 at the top of the Steam store page. I guess today's stuff will be a "Best Of" compilation?

DrTeflon

Bought some stuff, not so much, far less than other sales

Also, not everything that I bought was on sale.

im9XUdxfcM3Vx.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
Quick Question: There will be new deals up at 1PM EST today right?

My small haul:
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
DuckTales: Remastered
Hammerwatch
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Costume Quest (Gifted)

May as well post my total haul:

Shadow Warrior
Crusader Kings II cosmetic DLC (with card money)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (Amazon)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Amazon)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (GMG)
Sir, You Are Being Hunted (Humble Store)
BioShock Infinite Season Pass
XCOM: Enemy Within (Amazon)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

I might buy more CKII DLC if it gets an encore, but that's otherwise it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/69194/ea-crysis-2-pulled-from

EA had a game that was sold on Steam, but had DLC exclusive to Direct 2 Drive; apparently that went against Valve's new rules at the time.

That's EA's story, anyway. Valve never made a statement.

EA's story is a load of bull. Since the policy isn't retroactive the games it pulled in response -- Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 -- wouldn't have been affected. You need only look at Dirt 3 if you want to connect those dots:

It doesn't matter that the DLC launched after the DLC policy came into the effect; the games themselves released prior to it and so they're not affected by the change. I provided a case in point in my post but you've missed it so I'll reiterate here: EA pulled the games circa June 2011, and despite the hot air about Valve being the root cause, Dirt 3 has no DLC for sale via Steam even though virtually all of it released in June, July and August 2011.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Here is my haul:

Bunch of games you dont care if I picked up
A few price mistakes
Some more games you dont care if I picked up.

Zeeman

I haven't bought anything this sale and I have $4.25 in my Steam wallet. Anything people recommend I use it on? I may just carry it forward until something goes on sale that I really want.

Shepard

That's it for me these sales. Bought way more than I thought I would:

Bioshock Infinite Season Pass
Bit.Trip.Runner 2
Dungeon Siege III Pack
Septerra Core (Gift)
The Swapper
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Don't Starve
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon
Wargame: European Escalation
DmC Devil May Cry
Aliens: Colonial Marines Retail
Castle of Illusion Retail
Surgeon Simulator (Gift)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara Retail
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol
Braid
Reus
DuckTales Remastered
Legend of Dungeon
Total War Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai
Two Tribes Pack
Electronic Super Joy + Bonus Content
Monaco

Pakkidis

Crafted my first snow globe badge. Got absolute jack shit :(. I got an emoticon, assassins creed 4 background and a stocking all worth around 5 cents.

The stocking says I can unpack it however doing so will lock the item to my inventory. I assume the items unpacked are related to a specific game.

Authority

Banned
Thanks for the great information regarding my last post.

I have got one more question - I have been meaning to buy L.A Noire for years now but I am always chickening out the last moment. It kind of gives me the idea that it is not a long game and I will finish it quickly.

Can some jump it (preferably those that have finished it) and let me know whether it would be a solid purchase?

Grief.exe

Aw, thanks. <3

oipic, if you haven't tried the demo yet, be sure to before time runs out!

I will say that Valdis Story requires much more skill (in combat) than Dust does (even on hard, Dust kind of runs on auto-pilot).

I recommend people just to start on the highest difficulty, I would imagine the easier ones could put you to sleep.

hlhbk

The front page says the sale goes through January 3rd. Why would there be no new deals today and then an encore tomorrow?

jediyoshi

Is Valdis Story a difficult game? What is is comparable to? The trailer looks (and sounds) fantastic, but I suck at "hard" platformers/action games.

I have stayed away from Spelunky and La Mulana for instance.

It's a doozy. Goes from holding your hand to throwing you off a cliff in about five minutes. Costs a bit more but I'd go with Dust if difficulty might put you off.

Grief.exe

Oh.
My.
God.

Anno 1404 is going to be patched! It's going to be put back up for sale! MY E-MAIL ACTUALLY WORKED!

dancexioum.gif

I dont known anything about this game Jase, could you give some context as to what's happening?
Removing Tages or other DRM? I hope they aren't adding Uplay as well.

Veezy

que?
Thanks for the great information regarding my last post.

I have got one more question - I have been meaning to buy L.A Noire for years now but I am always chickening out the last moment. It kind of gives me the idea that it is not a long game and I will finish it quickly.

Can some jump it (preferably those that have finished it) and let me know whether it would be a solid purchase?
It's a plenty long game and we'll worth it if you can cop it for under twenty. What you'll have to understand is, unless your really keen on five staring all the missions, there is zero replayability. The story progresses no matter what and there is a set beginning middle and end.

One of the few games at recommend using a walk through for, just so you can choose the right decisions for all interviews to 100% the game on the first go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom