• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

Just Spelunky, KoF 13, Ms. Splosion Man and GUacamelee for me on this sale.

Spelunky is literally virtual crack!

Also, is GUacamelee eventually get better? First impression (just after escaping the large beast) is pretty meh for me compared to Valdis and Dust.

Added you if you still need help.

Shepard

Man, I'd love Amazon if they gave steam keys to Anno 1404 after Ubi put the game back in the store. Never going to happen :(

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Any hidden gems that anybody would highly recommend for $4 or less?

Bit.trip games at 99c (Runner 2 $2.54) are what I've stumbled on so far.
Others you can see if you click "Under $5" on the top sellers section of the homepage.

Wish steam would bring back the old "more like this..." recommendation system for finding hidden gems, having the current bestsellers above reviews on every store page is just a waste of scrolling effort.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Best Anno is back? Will double dip
on summer sale

Not just yet. The update is still in beta but given how fast Ubi pushed out Black Flag patches it'll probably be back within the next week or so (assuming Ubi employees are back at work).

Zafir

EA's story is a load of bull. Since the policy isn't retroactive the games it pulled in response -- Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 -- wouldn't have been affected. You need only look at Dirt 3 if you want to connect those dots:
Why wouldn't Valve comment though? Silence suggests EA is right considering valve would want to defend themselves if it wasn't the case.

The entire thing doesn't make much sense really.

As for simply games they're legit in the sense they sell official UK retail copies. The cd keys they sell often aren't, that said they will be region free. The lost planet 3 key I got from them was Asian but region free.

Turfster

Can some jump it (preferably those that have finished it) and let me know whether it would be a solid purchase?

Do you want a police procedural, or do you want a rather crap shooter where you mow down stupid amounts of mooks that appear out of nowhere?
If you want the first, LA Noire is not really for you.

CoG

I went into this sale thinking I wouldn't buy anything but somehow spent over $70. I would have spent more if they let my buy Rocksmith DLC for RS 2014. They *really* need to fix that.

Biggest cockup on my part if buying The Swapper without checking if it supports controllers.

fantomena

Thanks to being a reviewer, I did not use much money on the christmas sale, but here is what Im bought overall (PSN, Steam, eShop etc.) during december:

Startopia for 1,20€ på Greenmangaming.com (aktivert i Steam).
Sid Meier’s Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies for 0,80€ Greenmangaming.com (aktivert i Steam).
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara for 2,80€ på Greenmangaming.com (aktivert i Steam).

XCOM: Enemy Within for 14,99$ på Amazon.com (aktivert i Steam).
Lego Marvel Super Heroes for 11,99$ på Amazon.com (aktivert i Steam).
Gun for 3,99$ på Amazon.com (aktivert i Steam).

Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures for 4,75€ på Steam.
The King of Fighters XIII for 9,51€ på Steam.
Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut for 9,99€ på Steam.
Mark of the Ninja. Special Edition DLC for 0,99€ på Steam.
The Holiday Express for 2,99€ på Steam.
Blood omen 2: Legacy of Kain for 2,39€ på Steam.

Persona 4: Golden for 134,99 kr på PS Store.
Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel for 49,99 kr på PS Store.
Muramasa: Rebirth for 85,05 kr på PS Store.

Rayman Legends på Wii U Nintendo eStore for 160 kr.

Lego Batman på Game.co.uk for 2£ (aktivert i Steam).

didamangi

I went into this sale thinking I wouldn't buy anything but somehow spent over $70. I would have spent more if they let my buy Rocksmith DLC for RS 2014. They *really* need to fix that.

Biggest cockup on my part if buying The Swapper without checking if it supports controllers.

Considering the gameplay, I think it will be pretty hard to play the game with a controller no?

denx

So damage list time? Damage list time.

Stuff I bought for me:
- Rise of the Triad
- Gnomoria
- E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
- Puppygames Ultrabundle (Revenge of the Titans, Ultratron, Titan Attacks, Droid Assault)
- Guacamelee!
- Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
- Don't Starve (price error yay!)
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- Long Live the Queen
- Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
- Pixeljunk Eden
- GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
- Ys I and II Chronicles
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- Ys Origin
- Valdis Story: Abyssal City

Stuff I bought as gifts for friends and family:
- Warhammer 4000: Dawn of War - Gold Edition
- Sim City 4
- The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
- Half-Life 2

Stuff I got gifted or won through ModBot:
- Solar 2
- Clive Barker's Jericho
- Gemini Rue
- The Adventures of Shuggy
- King's Bounty: Warriors of the North
- The Showdown Effect
- Sanctum
- Cook, Serve, Delicious!

Nobody is gonna read that lol, but it's always fun to write these lists.

This was a very good sale imo, not as good as Christmas 2011, but still pretty damn fun. The highlights were the Flash and Community votes imo.

What do you mean about Rocksmith DLC?

Wolfie5

Bought more than I thought I would:

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Bionic Commando
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition DLC
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Nihilumbra
Torchlight II
Spelunky
The Swapper
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Borderlands 2 Game of the Year
Monaco
Bioshock Infinite Season Pass

Total spent: ~66€

StAidan

This sale was good to me. 14 games at rock-bottom prices.

Age of Empires II HD
Braid
Brothers
DuckTales Remastered
Giana Sisters
Gone Home
Gunpoint
Legend of Dungeon
Long Live the Queen
PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+
Papers, Please
PixelJunk Eden
Risk of Rain
Rogue Legacy

Total spent: $70.90 (averaging about $5 per game)

JaseC

I dont known anything about this game Jase, could you give some context as to what's happening?
Removing Tages or other DRM? I hope they aren't adding Uplay as well.

Anno 1404 was pulled back in ~April 2011 because of a rather game-breaking bug in the save system that had a tendency to corrupt save files. Although Ubi patched the retail and Uplay versions of the game, the Steam version went unloved and it was eventually taken down. Anno 1404 predates Uplay (though that doesn't necessarily mean Ubi won't patch in Uplay integration), however it does utilise TAGES.

Deadbeat

Banned
EA's story is a load of bull. Since the policy isn't retroactive the games it pulled in response -- Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 -- wouldn't have been affected. You need only look at Dirt 3 if you want to connect those dots:
People believe what they want to believe. Logic and facts wont stop them.

edit: are there any hidden discounts for specific games I should grab before the end?

jediyoshi

Here is my haul:

Bunch of games you dont care if I picked up
A few price mistakes
Some more games you dont care if I picked up.

I find it fascinating to see what people bought on the more expensive end of the spectrum. It lets me judge them accordingly.

JaseC

Why wouldn't Valve comment though? Silence suggests EA is right considering valve would want to defend themselves if it wasn't the case.

The entire thing doesn't make much sense really.

Valve never publicly addresses industry feuds, internal or external, and EA figured it could get away with lying by taking advantage of this. I wouldn't read into it.

Interfectum

Valve barely ever responds to things like this. They only speak up when their hand is forced (ie Dota 2 fan revolt).

didamangi

Anno 1404 was pulled back in ~April 2011 because of a rather game-breaking bug in the save system that had a tendency to corrupt save files. Although Ubi patched the retail and Uplay versions of the game, the Steam version went unloved and it was eventually taken down. Anno 1404 predates Uplay (though that doesn't necessarily mean Ubi won't patch in Uplay integration), however it does utilise TAGES.

Anno 1404 is essentially DRM free if you install the newest patch before running the game, TAGES was removed since the 1.1 patch.

Since everyone is doing it:

- Ballpoint Universe
- Two Tribes Pack
- Papers, Please!
- Retro/Grade
- Nimbus
- Sequence
- Civ V: BNW
- Eldritch
- CKII: The Old Gods
- Super Hexagon
- Cook Serve Delicious!
- Long Live the Queen
- Valdis Story

Ugh... I bought Rayman Legends yesterday during the flash sale, but it crashes everytime on launch (it only plays a few seconds of the logo startups...). Reinstalling the game/Uplay did nothing. After some searching around, I found a "fix", which involves setting Uplay to offline mode and disconnecting my wifi... Seriously Ubisoft, wtf is this. Fuck Uplay, Rayman better be worth it.

Since everyone is doing it:

Spelunky
Aliens Colonial Marines ( amazon )
Max Payne 1 + 2 + 3 + Season Pass ( amazon )
Castle of Illusion ( amazon )
Binary Domain ( amazon )
The Pit Gold + DLC ( amazon )
Magical Drop V
BeatBuddy Tale of the Guardians
Giana Sisters Twisted Bundle
Don't Starve
Ys I and II Chronicles
Legend of Dungeon
La-Mulana
The Bridge x2
Deponia
Jack Keane Director Cut ( gmg )
Kane & Lynch ( gmg )
Kane & Lynch 2 ( gmg )

Krakn3Dfx

I've done worse during a Steam sale, but still a pretty hefty tab this time around.
2585832-steamdamage2013.jpg

pahamrick

Oh hey, damages time.

Operation Flashpoint : Red River Retail
Fuel
Overlord + Raising Hell
Overlord II
Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising
Clive Barker's Jericho
Damnation
Might and Magic Heroes VI: Complete Edition
Far Cry 3 - Deluxe
Batman Arkham City GOTY
Starbound
Hard Reset Extended Edition
XCOM: Enemy Within
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Slingshot DLC
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY

Oh.
My.
God.

dancexioum.gif

Side question Jase: I saw this movie and wonder if you have a gif of the moment where she's
jumping on the dead guy's body and making blood shoot out of his mouth while shouting "Internal Bleeding Dancing!"
Thought it would make a perfect gif for you or anyone really!

My haul:
Alice: Madness Returns
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut
Ys I and II Chronicles
Castle Crashers
Castle Crashers Pink Knight dlc
Castle Crashers Blacksmith dlc

Cards paid for these games:
Guacamelee! Gold Soundtrack Edition
Spelunky
Wizardry 6, 7, and 8
The Walking Dead: 400 Days

Gifts and Modbot:
Garry's Mod
Duke Nukem 2
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken
Swords and Soldiers
The Cat Lady

Didn't spend out of control like the last 2 years. My wallet was crying.
Why the hell does Brutal Legend have so many cards?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Another light haul for me, funded almost exclusively through card money, but I went for some quality games:

Super Hexagon
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Spelunky
Guacamelee
Pixeljunk Eden

Debated picking a few others up but in the end money was very tight and I felt like I had plenty to keep me going. I wasn't going to get Spelunky because it seems crazy difficult, but I'm sure it'll get easier with practice. CSD is awesome but I definitely need to train my fingers more. My game of the sale though is probably Risk of Rain, which I was lucky enough to win in a Modbot giveaway, love that game. Having a blast playing that on Easy to unlock everything, will attempt Normal after I manage to beat it!

Sulik2

Also, is GUacamelee eventually get better? First impression (just after escaping the large beast) is pretty meh for me compared to Valdis and Dust.

I burned through Guacamelee after buying it this weekend. Now in my top 10 for this year. It has some of the best platforming I have seen since Super Meat Boy. Keep playing it.

fine. you win guys.

MGR:R (Gamefly)
Deadpool (Gamefly)
TW : Shogun 2 Bloodpack
Far Cry 3
FFVII
Bulletstorm
AssCreed3 Deluxe
Valdis Story
Cook, Serve, Delicious
CK2 DLC Collection

Game of the Sale : By far C,S,D. Only game i've played this sale, but wow is it great. Surprisingly deep, with really solid mechanics. Only on 2 stars right now, but wow is it getting stressful. Excellent, excellent game.

Echoplx

Anno 2070 Complete
Don't Starve
Eldritch
Endless Space Gold
Expeditions: Conquistador
Metal Gear Rising
Papers, Please
Rogue Legacy
Starbound
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

Regret not grabbing Cook, Serve, Delicious! :C

my haul:

Aliens CM 2$
Max Payne Bundle 7$
Castle of Illusion 3.75$
Lego Marvel 11.99$
Superhexagon -
Valdis Story 5$
Codemaster IndieGala Bundle 3$
Bioshock Infinite Season Pass 5$
Remember Me 12$
Manhunt Bundle: 3$
The Wolf Among Us 12$
Spelunky 4$
Legacy of Kain Bundle 4$
Metal Gear Rising 16$

under 90$, not that bad

Miker

My haul:
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Bionic Commando Wifearmed
Spelunky
Guacamelee

Plenty for this sale. Everything besides Revengeance was bought with card money built up throughout the year. I think I'm gonna accumulate card money again until the summer sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom