• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
f6ZNoRY.png

NEEWWWWSSSS TEAMMMMMM!!!! ASSEMBLLLLLLLEEEEEE!!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I understood, I was just saying that it will happen just like the summer cards, nobody cares if they can't be crafted.
Two years ago, everyone who participated in the potato event for Portal 2 got a potato hat for TF2. It was worth nothing for a long time, but as time went on, it steadily rose in price (and still does) as there was no other way to obtain the hat except buy it off people who owned the hat already. This has happened several times over before. And as the craftable items need a full card set, and there's even a page that shows total amount of each item crafted, on-top that these items apply to some popular F2P games like TF2 and Warframe, I think they will, given time, and different to summer cards, which are only really good for a badge and experience.

It may only apply to mid-tier and high-tier items, however.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
No, I mean, the Winter Cards are going to literally disappear from everyone's inventories tomorrow (the cards have an expiration date), so the items crafted from the cards should go up in price down the line as they will no longer be craftable.

This could be true for some of the items. But emiranda is right for most of them. You've got to keep in mind the number of items that have been generated and the playerbase for the games. In particular the active playerbase, because the occasional player is significantly less likely to pay for your items.

DOTA2 with its 500k concurrent players and gradually growing? If you've got a Rare hat or above, I think the price might have a chance at going up post-sale.
Ragnarok Online 2? The number of "Rare" hats created in this event might exceed the entire Steam playerbase—not just the active players.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
5 is the max for the normal one in the Summer sale badge.
Checking out PalmDesert's profile. He has a level 100 Foil Winter 2013 Badge and a Level 721 normal Winter 2013 Badge.

Maybe level 1,000 is the limit for the normal one?

That foil badge costed approximately ($15.90 x 100) $1,590. Probably more since prices have been dropping.

That regular badge costed approximately ($1.57 x 721) $1,132

0275_9zjy8.gif

http://steamcommunity.com/id/palmdesert/badges/

Dude is nuts. Already @ 842 Winter badge.

edit more: and rising.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Two years ago, everyone who participated in the potato event for Portal 2 got a potato hat for TF2. It was worth nothing for a long time, but as time went on, it steadily rose in price (and still does) as there was no other way to obtain the hat except buy it off people who owned the hat already. This has happened several times over before. And as the craftable items need a full card set, and there's even a page that shows total amount of each item crafted, on-top that these items apply to some popular F2P games like TF2 and Warframe, I think they will, given time, and different to summer cards, which are only really good for a badge and experience.

It may only apply to mid-tier and high-tier items, however.

I didn't get a potato hat! I feel ripped off.

Backlogger

My Damage:

TrackMania² Stadium
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Bad Rats
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Giana Sisters: Twisted Bundle
Shadowrun Returns
Gnomoria
Contagion
The Bridge
Bulletstorm
BioShock Infinite Season Pass (for 5 bucks!)
Deponia

All Tomb Raider DLC
All Sleeping Dogs DLC

Gained 100 or so Gaf friends on Steam

Crash Time II (from a Gaffer give-away)
Swords and Soldiers HD (from a Gaffer give-away)

May have missed some, but like always, I always end up spending way more than I think I am going to spend...

Zafir

There's a Shenmue campaign going on right now? I've lost track of the dedicated thread so I don't know anything!

Anyway, this stuff is going somewhere? Like, have they somehow answered?
Id like to know this aswell. What I'd give for a shenmue re release!

FloatOn

alright. got some fallout 3 mods up and running. game is looking much better but the thing is how long does it take for the game to get going?

I'm currently doing fetch quests for this Moira lady in megaton. I know I'm just scratching the surface I just need to know if this game is ever going to hook me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
alright. got some fallout 3 mods up and running. game is looking much better but the thing is how long does it take for the game to get going?

I'm currently doing fetch quests for this Moira lady in megaton. I know I'm just scratching the surface I just need to know if this game is ever going to hook me.

lol, you're at the highpoint of the game, it's all downhill after Megaton.

Pakkidis

Damage Report:

Aliens: Colonial Marines (amazon)
Max Payne + Max Payne 2 + Max Payne 3 + Season Pass (amazon)
Sam and Max: Season One (gift)
Blades of Time - Limited Edition DE (gift)
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
The Witcher 2
Another World
Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012)
Wizardry 6, 7, and 8
PixelJunk Eden
World of Goo
Don't Starve
Call of Juarez Gunslinger + Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon
Spelunky
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Dungeon Defenders Collection
Fable the Lost Chapters Retail
Super Hexagon
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Frozen Synapse
Electronic Super Joy
Two Tribes Pack
Ms. Splosion Man
Costume Quest
Syberia+Syberia 2 + Still Life + Still Life 2 + Post Mortem + Scratches
Stacking
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Bioshock Infinite (WW) + Season Pass
Slender: The Arrival +Blood of the Werewolf +Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (bundle)

Spent Just over 100$

FloatOn

lol, you're at the highpoint of the game, it's all downhill after Megaton.

I played the 360 version back in the day and met up with those resistance people and fought a super mutant. I seem to recall having a pretty okay time up until that point but again it just felt like going through the motions.

surely there is a point in this game's story where it all comes together and you feel the need to see how it all plays out right?

How accessible is X-COM: Enemy Unknown to someone who doesn't bother with the genre? I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but something is stopping me. It does look good, though. Someone push me over the edge.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
5 is the max for the normal one in the Summer sale badge.
Checking out PalmDesert's profile. He has a level 100 Foil Winter 2013 Badge and a Level 721 normal Winter 2013 Badge.

Maybe level 1,000 is the limit for the normal one?
Who's PalmDesert? Is he a GAFfer?

Grief.exe

How accessible is X-COM: Enemy Unknown to someone who doesn't bother with the genre? I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but something is stopping me. It does look good, though. Someone push me over the edge.

Probably the best entry to a turn-based strategy game you can find.

Streamlined in the right ways and walks you through what you need to know.

Deadbeat

Banned
The tutorial is pretty well done. It will teach you all you need to know.

Omega

Banned

It's accessible. this was my first TBS as well

there's A LOT of text in the beginning to explain things. other than boring you half to death with tutorials (at least they're helpful tutorials though) it's pretty accessible.

It's either X-COM or Civ5 : Brave New World. I've not played on Civ for ages, but that could get me back into it. However, X-COM does look good, and watching one of the steam videos on the base building aspect, makes me want to delve into it, just so I can customise that. The clock is ticking.

Dambrosi

Banned
Okay, I finally relented and crafted my second Snow Globe badge.

I got a Warframe background and some TF2 item called "The War On Smissmas Battle Hood".

Should I sell it now, or wait for the end of the sale? What say you, GAF?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It's really easy to get into and if you don't turn the difficulty level up it can be pretty forgiving. You can try the demo, which is most of the tutorial from the game, to get an idea. If you do this though you might end up playing through the tutorial twice, and by the end of that you'll just want to kill yourself instead of any aliens.

PaulLFC

I bought a lot this sale (more than I was expecting to), and it was a good sale. I think if we compare it just with past Steam sales though, it was a pretty disappointing one in my opinion.

- No packs / bundles (from what I can see anyway)
- 9 daily deals, I'm sure there used to be 12 a year or two ago
- "Community choice" vote just means that even though 3 games have been given the go-ahead for a sale, only one of them gets a sale. Just put all 3 on sale!
- This one could be wrong, but didn't there used to be 4-6 flash sales as well a couple of years ago, rather than just 3?
- Although there were trading cards and crafting, for me Steam still hasn't had as good a "sale minigame" or whatever you want to call it as the achievement hunting one, which actually made us play the games we bought.
- Beaten on price for some games by Gamefly, GMG, Amazon, etc.

As I said it was still a good sale. Just didn't seem as good as past sales to me. Maybe I just own too many games at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom