• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really easy to get into and if you don't turn the difficulty level up it can be pretty forgiving. You can try the demo, which is most of the tutorial from the game, to get an idea. If you do this though you might end up playing through the tutorial twice, and by the end of that you'll just want to kill yourself instead of any aliens.

I don't have time to do the demo, unfortunately. There's 20 minutes to go on the 75% offer, so it's going to be an impulse buy all the way. One last question, though. How is the story handled in the game? cut-scenes, wall of text between missions etc. is it enjoyable and essential to the game or merely filler between missions.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
One of the more keen badge crafters. I like to call them badgers. ;)
I'll call them...

Blue Badgers.

Blue_Badger.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Humble Bundle X today? with all the games we just bought on the sale o/

Kadin

Maybe I just own too many games at this point.

This is the case with me. I don't have anywhere close to as much as many people here but I still have too much. Like many of you, I've been casing these sales each and every time for more than a few years now and I'm simply close to my limit. I'm now just buying a bunch of cheaper Indie stuff that I normally wouldn't know about. So in that respect, the Sale has been a huge blessing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't have time to do the demo, unfortunately. There's 20 minutes to go on the 75% offer, so it's going to be an impulse buy all the way. One last question, though. How is the story handled in the game? cut-scenes, wall of text between missions etc. is it enjoyable and essential to the game or merely filler between missions.

Cut scenes mostly, you get a cut scene and/or conversations with staff after some missions to advance the story. It isn't essential and is really straightforward, mostly used as a way to give you new specific tasks and to introduce new enemies/technology/etc. It follows the storyline strictly and doesn't change from one playthrough to the next. Certainly not the strongest point of the game.

Link Man

Banned
Played a bit of Valdis (just got to the village as Wyatt). Game is pretty great, can tell that I'm going to enjoy it. Get it before the sale ends.

- J - D -

Man, I should stop looking at my activity feed because once I saw what some friends were buying, I end up buying them too.

I mean, someone just bought the 7th Guest and 11th Hour bundle? I knew you were my friend for a reason. I didn't even know those games were on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/32847/

And The Oddboxx, which bundles Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6951/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Fuck. Thanks guys.

Naka

If I pick up Rogue Legacy on the flash sale do you think Valdis Story is worth getting too? I'm on the fence. I was originally going to wait for Rogue Legacy to come out on PS4, but I have no idea when that will be and I really want to play this game. I read lots of good things in thread about Valdis as well, but it looks very similar to Rogue Legacy so I'm not sure if I need them both. Thoughts?

Cut scenes mostly, you get a cut scene and/or conversations with staff after some missions to advance the story. It isn't essential and is really straightforward, mostly used as a way to give you new specific tasks and to introduce new enemies/technology/etc. It follows the storyline strictly and doesn't change from one playthrough to the next. Certainly not the strongest point of the game.

Are the two small DLC packs (Slingshot and Elite Soldier) worth the extra cash? I'm probably going to buy the full game now, but wouldn't mind a quick heads up on those two DLC packs, before I splash the cash.

Kadin

If I pick up Rogue Legacy on the flash sale do you think Valdis Story is worth getting too? I'm on the fence. I was originally going to wait for Rogue Legacy to come out on PS4, but I have no idea when that will be and I really want to play this game. I read lots of good things in thread about Valdis as well, but it looks very similar to Rogue Legacy so I'm not sure if I need them both. Thoughts?

It's very different from Rogue. Both are worth owning. BUY IT NOW.

Is 1up's review of Civ V accurate? Do any of the patches clear up their issues?

C grade: http://www.1up.com/reviews/civilization-v-review

It's fine, runs as good as the previous Civ games. He's comparing it to past Civ games so he may have a preference for number IV that he mentioned in the review.

As a jumping in point you can't go wrong with ANY of them. if you've played one civ you've basically played them all and maybe he's got dat franchise fatigue. 1+2 are a bit dated now but I spent a lot of time with them back in the day. 3 started borders and 4 added religion.

Are the two small DLC packs (Slingshot and Elite Soldier) worth the extra cash? I'm probably going to buy the full game now, but wouldn't mind a quick heads up on those two DLC packs, before I splash the cash.

Slingshot is story content. It's probably worth picking up before starting your first playthrough. Elite Soldier is just cosmetic though.

Now we will be inundated with games bought lists.

'now'? :/

Here is my haul:

Bunch of games you dont care if I picked up
A few price mistakes
Some more games you dont care if I picked up.

That made it all slightly more bearable, thank you :).

Yeah I got my Summer Badge at level 5 and have 2 complete sets of cards still but can't level it any higher for some reason. Anyone know if 5 was max? I'm pretty sure this winter badge can be crafted up to 100.

Yes, it tells you this in the Summer Card/Badge FAQ.

It's either X-COM or Civ5 : Brave New World. I've not played on Civ for ages, but that could get me back into it. However, X-COM does look good, and watching one of the steam videos on the base building aspect, makes me want to delve into it, just so I can customise that. The clock is ticking.

XCOM is more noob friendly than Civ V and that is in itself pretty noob friendly for a Civ game by all accounts.

It's really easy to get into and if you don't turn the difficulty level up it can be pretty forgiving. You can try the demo, which is most of the tutorial from the game, to get an idea. If you do this though you might end up playing through the tutorial twice, and by the end of that you'll just want to kill yourself instead of any aliens.

Yes, play the Steam demo. It is only one short mission but gives you a tiny idea of the basic gameplay. The tutorial actually goes on for several more missions and is obligatory IIRC on the first playthrough but can be skipped on subsequent playthroughs. If you make the right decision i.e. buy XCOM, start on the very easiest difficulty level. Thank me later.

Oh no time for the demo? Just buy the game. You will love all of us that told you to forever.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Slingshot is story content. It's probably worth picking up before starting your first playthrough. Elite Soldier is just cosmetic though.

funny story. I CANNOT play XCOM without the elite soldier armor/helmets/colors. Gotta have my GI Joe style team of all different dudes >_< no joke

funny story. I CANNOT play XCOM without the elite soldier armor/helmets/colors. Gotta have my GI Joe style team of all different dudes >_< no joke

I'm mostly there with you, in that I've gotten a lot of use out of the pack. Just saying it's probably not as essential as Slingshot.

Shepard

Cant wait for today's (?) Humble Bundle with The Swapper, Brothers, Valdis Story and all the other indie games we bought during this winter sale.

This post is for me to look back upon, to see that I didn't buy Valdis or Rogue Legacy when I totally could have.

This post is for me to look back, and regret.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Elite Soldier is just cosmetic changes, you can give a few more armor options and change the color of their armor. That's it as far as I know. I skipped that one. Slingshot isn't really great either, it's a very short story focused mission pack that gives you a set character to go along with your random crew.

Rhaknar

the normal Steam store front always looks so fucking boring after a sale :(

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Sometimes I like to imagine there will someday be some sort of competitive Steam RPG that uses the Card Economy as a basis, and users already with badges and Steam levels will start the game at the level they're at.

I would never want to face up against PalmDesert in such a scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom