• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Here's my top 5 Steam games of 2014

5) Lovely Planet ; The kind of game we have too few on Steam.

4) Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Well realized game with obvious influences from Assassin's Creed and Rocksteady's Batman. Nemesis system has gotten a lot of praise and I found it wasn't in the least unwarranted.

3) Transistor ; Great story and OST already make this one a winner. Yet its combat system is what I adored the most. It's beautiful design that encourages you to try different approaches to fighting and in progress make you appreciate how deep it can be.

2) Shovel Knight ; I'm hesitant to use the word perfect but I can't think of better tribute to 8-bit era. Not only that but it's a good game period. That hasn't been clear with some of the tributes appearing on Steam.

1) The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; I have gotten 130 hours of fun out of my 10€ purchase with no end in sight. This game has to be the epitome of how to succesfully remaster a game. New engine in addition to just adding lots of everything allowed Binding of Isaac reach its true potential.

Blu(e)

Just finished The Darkness 2 and really enjoyed it. Quad wielding is really fun and I really liked the cast (even if they are just straight up movie Italian mobsters). Jackie and Jenny probably has the sweetest relationship I've seen in a game.
The-Darkness-Jackie-and-Jenny.jpg

Sad that they ended the game the way they did (especially since there won't be a sequel).

Tizoc

Last boss in FP in Normal was like nightmare. It took me several attempts to beat the crap out of him

FP's final boss 'structure' is one that is rarely seen in games;
Normally the boss goes into their final super powered form, yet in FP, Brevon STARTS with his super powered form being the giant mech and his 'final form' is him without the armor. Only other boss I recall doing such a thing was Dr. Wily from the Rockman games

um why do I have Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes in my library? I don't recall having it or activating it, never even heard of it before.

Kuroyume

Banned
Here's my top 5 Steam games of 2014

1) The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; I have gotten 130 hours of fun out of my 10€ purchase with no end in sight. This game has to be the epitome of how to succesfully remaster a game. New engine in addition to just adding lots of everything allowed Binding of Isaac reach its true potential.

tumblr_ngnotgJC1x1qb0wv3o1_r1_500.gif

Respect.

Surprised to see Isaac omitted from so many GOTY lists.

Sometimes a game is in sale over the weekend and free to play for that time period so you can test it to your hearts content.

Ah, that's cool. But still a bit jarring to have it "barge in" uninvited and take a comfy spot in one's library. I mean say Hello before you make yourself at home at least.

Surprised to see Isaac omitted from so many GOTY lists.

I refuse to give the game any of my attention due to how much I hate its art style.

I'm sorry.

Edit: I was thinking today, that taste in art style and character design is a funny thing. I mean I dismiss so many games these days because they have character designs and art styles that I find unappealing, while it's arguable that some of the qualities that make it unappealing to me exist in other games which I don't mind at all, or even find appealing. Like Sonic vs Freedom Planet; I can't stand the character designs in the later but my nostalgia goggles make me OK with similar designs because I grew up with them.

I wonder how I'd feel about Mario if it never existed before and I saw it for the first time now. Would I think it looks too kiddy/cartoony? I suspect I might. Yet it is like my favorite gaming series ever and I never thought it had objectable art.

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing the new Beta client FPS option and figured out it was a Metro For Steam issue. I switched back to the default skin and saw it with no problem. In Metro it doesn't even list the option.

No wonder Quake is 55MB, it's bare-bones as shit.

EZQuake still the way to go for sprucing it up?

Heh, I just fired up Ultimate Doom not expecting it to work at all (from what I read) but was surprised it made it to the game's splash screen (haven't seen an emulated DOS setup screen in ages, that was neat), but game froze on the splash artwork. Can't be arsed to try to fix it now.

I also bought Quake in the sale, but haven't installed it. Been checking out Wickland which I won from Tizoc's raffle, it has a great Quake/90s shooter look and feel. Looks great, plays very fast and runs like butter (on my rig at least). Too bad there are few people playing it (it's Early Access) and my ping is terrible.

Just finished The Darkness 2 and really enjoyed it. Quad wielding is really fun and I really liked the cast (even if they are just straight up movie Italian mobsters). Jackie and Jenny probably has the sweetest relationship I've seen in a game.

Sad that they ended the game the way they did (especially since there won't be a sequel).

I agree. Really fun game. It's a real shame they went with a cliffhanger ending that will never see a conclusion, the characters deserved better.

Tizoc

How come any discussion of voice acting in video games ALWAYS omits Japanese VAs? It's usually Troy this, Nolan that, man I don't care if they're in every vidya game you play, what about those VAs you'd always hear in those Japanese video games?

On the plus side, we are likely to have a 3rd game featuring the sexy godly voice of Norio Wakamoto~

Deadly

XCOM: EU/EW
Banner Saga
Sunrider
Nice I had my thoughts on XCOM but I'll definitely buy it during the next sale now.
Isn't Wasteland 2 technically tile-based?
No idea though I'm already definitely getting it when it hits ~15$
Morning SteamGAF :D This looks interesting

Steam Update changelog:
Added FPS counter to Steam Overlay
I updated to beta to try this out but I didn't see the counter. Is it only during broadcasting or something?

Is it possible to some how get rid of old expired holiday cards? I have 2 from the last sale that show up on the badges page, but not in my inventory and its really annoying.

I updated to beta to try this out but I didn't see the counter. Is it only during broadcasting or something?

You have to enable it in Settings>In-Game. Once you do and go into a game you'll see it in the top left corner. There isn't a hotkey for it right now though so if you want to turn it off you'll have to go back into settings and disable it.

Lumine

A bit disappointed here.

I bought Red Alert 3 and Ridge Racer Unbounded for myself and a friend so we could do some multiplayer.
We wanted to do Red Alert 3 co-op campaign first but apparently you can't anymore. It used to use Gamespy which has been closed. We found out later there may be a way around it with something called C&C Online, but we'll have to try that next time.
Ridge Racer Unbounded wouldn't let us connect either. I'm not even sure if this service has been closed or not but it wouldn't work for us. Maybe it's simply having problems, anyone else try this recently?

It would be nice whenever games have their online services closed down to write it large on their store pages. It might have been somewhere small on there but I missed it. I feel a little duped to be honest. It's not a lot of money and I'll enjoy the singleplayer someday I'm sure, but I bought these for multiplayer.

You have to enable it in Settings>In-Game. Once you do and go into a game you'll see it in the top left corner. There isn't a hotkey for it right now though so if you want to turn it off you'll have to go back into settings and disable it.

Also note that if you are using a custom theme such as Metro this option might not be visible

Reposting here since I linked it to the old thread, making modbot not repost in the new one D:

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955066.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Words for Evil -- MB-D10DE7938687B084 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 14 entrants total.
Tales of Maj'Eyal -- MB-DEAA0FD4F0DC8E2E - Taken by Abomination. 2 entrants total.

t1420295685z1.png

Tizoc

Ooops kind of overlooked it..:p
anyways I dont think we are allowed to edit the post..so I think vote down the garbage!

You send a PM to MRORANGE with your 5 games, if you want to edit your list, just send him another PM stating that what you sent is the updated list you want to go with.
If you do not PM him, your list doesn't go into the tallying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom