• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Win8 only uses less than 30% of that 8GB with only some background processes running. Are you saying Unity was using up your RAM? Do you happen to have a browser with 50 tabs opened?

Yes. It was using around 5.5GB. So high was its usage that I had to download RAM Map so I could convert standby RAM to free RAM (the method Windows uses to free up standby RAM when required isn't perfect, apparently -- I actually ran out of free RAM entirely when downloading a particularly large file from Mega, and annoyingly I had to start it again as Firefox refused to address the fact that more RAM had been freed up [not much but enough to complete the download]).

MUnited83

For you.
I'd bump up the RAM, and the CPU to an i7 if you can swing it. It's fine otherwise.

:/
Of all the great RPGs of 2014...

Pretty good, but if you want to future proof, get an i7, more and more games now benefit from the extra cores.

More RAM and you are fine

Thanks, will probably get more RAM as that is cheap enough. Not sure about an i7 though, may bump up the price a bit too much for my liking. This current build would cost me 1130€(including the rest of the components)

Yes. It was using around 5.5GB. So high was its usage that I had to download RAM Map so I could convert standby RAM to free RAM (the method Windows uses to free up standby RAM when required isn't perfect, apparently).
What a bloated port. 5.5GBs? How many GBs were assigned to gaming for consoles?
Thanks, will probably get more RAM as that is cheap enough. Not sure about an i7 though, may bump up the price a bit too much for my liking. This current build would cost me 1130€(including the rest of the components)
Look up some slightly less beefy but a lot cheaper Xeon CPUs.

Hugstable

Banned
The thing is, that he is wrong. We can talk about how the sex is setup and why in the world somebody would have sex with his pets, even consensual. But he is talking about rape (since he is talking about forcing Chocola to something), which is not true, and pretty clear if you even played a bit from the game.
He just took a picture and assumed something for himself. Plus, he posted into the thread about the steam version, that does not even include that scene, derailing the thread, while people maybe want to talk about the game.Ah, didn't look at the date. But that is even worse. He somehow managed to derail a resting train.

lol I didn't realize that he necrobumped it either -___-

Hiiii Steamgaf!

Yes. It was using around 5.5GB. So high was its usage that I had to download RAM Map so I could convert standby RAM to free RAM (the method Windows uses to free up standby RAM when required isn't perfect, apparently -- I actually ran out of free RAM entirely when downloading a particularly large file from Mega, and annoyingly I had to start it again as Firefox refused to address the fact that more RAM had been freed up [not much but enough to complete the download]).

I need to look in to this RAM Map.

Hiiii Steamgaf!

Hiiii!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This Lisa game looks awesome

Lisa is a quirky side-scrolling RPG set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Beneath the charming and funny exterior is a world full of disgust and moral destruction. Players will learn what kind of person they are by being FORCED to make choices. These choices permanently effect the game play. If you want to save a party member from death, you will have to sacrifice the strength of your character. Whether it's taking a beating for them, or chopping off limbs, or some other inhuman way. You will learn that in this world being selfish and heartless is the only way to survive...

EQS5D6K.jpg

PPfIjLk.jpg

rYHeIDU.jpg

Anyone play it?

Chariot

I partially contributed to the thread derail, but...

lol
It was his fault by starting this shit at random. I almost feel like doing an NekoPara OT, but I don't think that the game is big enough for something like that.

Hiiii Steamgaf!
Huggy <3

Haha, that is amazing!
My PC already feels so much faster with that triple RAM.

gngf123

It was his fault by starting this shit at random. I almost feel like doing an NekoPara OT, but I don't think that the game is big enough for something like that

If you want to do it, go for it. As long as you can keep it to the steam version, there shouldn't be too many issues with it.

I do wish that it never had an R18+ version though, honestly.

MUnited83

For you.
What a bloated port. 5.5GBs? How many GBs were assigned to gaming for consoles?
Look up some slightly less beefy but a lot cheaper Xeon CPUs.

Is Xeon branded differently in Europe? Can't find any Xeon CPUs in the stores were.
Would a i7 4790 (3.6GHz) do?

Monooboe

I've almost ran out of free RAM while playing Unity. Sure, it's not exactly a poster child for optimisation, but it's one of the few games built from the ground up for current-gen consoles and the PC, so I suspect it won't be alone in due time.

I kept running out of memory when playing Wolfenstein so much so that it kept crashing and I have 12gb.o_O (might have had something to do with me having a ton of tabs open in two browsers at the time hogging up a lot of memory.)

JaseC

Is Xeon branded differently in Europe? Can't find any Xeon CPUs in the stores were.

Regular i7s (ones branded without the "K") have very restricted overclocking capabilities. You'd be better off with a generously-overclocked, unlocked i5 than a barely-overclocked, bog-standard i7.

Hmm, search for "Xeon E3 1230v3" or "1231v3" those are the latest quad core Xeon CPUs IIRC. Those usually don't come with integrated graphics, use less power and run cooler. However both loses to 4790, it's a top of the line quad core after all, whether you think the price is justifiable for the performance boost is another thing.

Jawmuncher

woah. had no idea dying light and life is strange releases this month too.

Wait dying light is a January release?
I have that preordered and didn't even know. Might wait though since it's sure to be a mess on pc come release like dead island.

Still waiting on life is strange to show up somewhere for cheaper.

Monooboe

Oh, the price on gems is rising.o_O No longer worth it to buy a sack and craft Sakura Spirit booster pack and sell the cards for a few cent profit.

Had an amazon gift card from Christmas so I'm finally replacing my trusty Logitech G5. Been wanting a wireless mouse for a while so I ordered the Steel Sensei. Amazon had a like new warehouse deal for 100 bucks which took it to a more acceptable price.

Of course I forgot CES is around the corner and it will be replaced but such is life when you have prime and it ships within minutes >_>

I dunno about Unity in particular but 8 gigs is fine for now imo. BTW, how much priority should we really give to memory speed? Like, 1600 mhz vs 2133 for example?

MUnited83

For you.
Check out the Xeon E3-1231.

i7 4790K
16 GB RAM minimum
Get a second hand 750 Ti or something and get a better card when you have more money.

GPUs come and go but CPUs are 4 LYFE (kinda).

Hmm, search for "Xeon E3 1230v3" or "1231v3" those are the latest quad core Xeon CPUs IIRC. Those usually don't come with integrated graphics, use less power and run cooler. However both loses to 4790, it's a top of the line quad core after all, whether you think the price is justifiable for the performance boost is another thing.

Oddly enough I can't find Xeon CPUs in any portuguese component stores at all.

Also I'm really jealous of anybody living in the US right now. I could get a GTX 970/i7490k/16GB ram build easily with my budget if I lived there, but here in Europe it's going to cost quite a bit much more.

Also I'm really jealous of anybody living in the US right now. I could get a GTX 970/i7490k/16GB ram build easily with my budget if I lived there, but here in Europe it's going to cost quite a bit much more.

I hear you.
Just got an e-mail from amazon since I've been browsing ram. This doesn't look too bad:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050119O0/ref=pe_160751_60460801_em_1p_0_ti#productDetails

same thing happens here in brazil. a 970, for example, costs 2-3x more :(

That's weird. Xeons are great money savers, I bought my e3 1230v2 for around 215 USD, and it's only 5~10% weaker than a stock 4770.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol 8 gb of Ram. I would have gone with 32 gb in my most recent build if DDR4 wasn't so damn expensive compared to DDR3 still. I could never go sub 16 though.

Ban Puncher

I imported my 780 Ti, SSD and oodles of RAM from Amazon when the USD was in the toilet because it was so damn cheap compared to buying in Australia. Everything else I got locally as it wasn't that much of a price difference.

I imported my 780 Ti, SSD and oodles of RAM from Amazon when the USD was in the toilet because it was so damn cheap compared to buying in Australia. Everything else I got locally as it wasn't that much of a price difference.

Amazon.com doesn't ship to Europe though, right?

JaseC

Amazon.com doesn't ship to Europe though, right?

You can filter results to show only those that are AmazonGlobal-eligible. Said products can be shipped to those in the UK so I assume the rest of Europe is eligible, too.

Gvaz

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom