• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news, SteamGAF: Avernum 2: Crystal Souls is coming to Steam on January 14!
header.jpg
It's the newest classically-styled CRPG from the masters at Spiderweb Software.

And it's even continuing this year's trend of being a remaster. Huzzah!

autoduelist

We've been discussing gladiator games in another thread (ps platforms).

Are there any good PC (steam preferable but not req'd) gladiator games? Turn based preferred (squad based arena combat!), but action ok if there is a solid feel of progression. For reference sake, I'm thinking along the lines of Gladius (srpg), Gladiator Begins (arena fights, lots of armor/weapon upgrades) or Shadow of Rome (mad limbs flying).

Anything come to mind?

It does look painful. Partly because I'm OCD, and while I never make "guesses", I do sometimes accidentally mark a hex incorrectly because I get confused about what blue numbered hexes mean sometimes. So I have to restart the entire level.

My personal recommendation for playing -- when you first launch the game, the launcher allows you to re-bind keys (it's a tab in the launcher, not in the actual game for some reason). The defaults are mouse buttons or A/S. I recommend making the keys very separate -- something comfortable, but several keys apart, and using the keyboard. I find this forces me to be slightly more careful in clicking a key, because most of my 'mistakes' were actually clicking the wrong mousebutton, not logic mistakes. Switching to keyboard remaps solved that 99.9% of the time.

I just finished world 3 of Infinite. I'd say world 3 was harder than anything other than the second to last puzzle of Plus. Can't wait to see where worlds 4/5/6 take me.

Am I the only one that feels like Spiderweb games are more of the same each time?

In terms of game mechanics, more or less. If one actually reads the story in them, then not so much. I'd say that Spiderweb really needs more variety in graphical assets and ESPECIALLY ambient sound in order to differentiate them. There are some noises there that are just way louder than everything else and just totally take you out of the game. Nobody would argue that D&D games are more of the same each time despite the same mechanics because they have unique stories AND unique locations to look at. But Spiderweb is a bit understaffed in the art department, in my opinion.

Lomax

Are there any good PC (steam preferable but not req'd) gladiator games? Turn based preferred (squad based arena combat!), but action ok if there is a solid feel of progression. For reference sake, I'm thinking along the lines of Gladius (srpg), Gladiator Begins (arena fights, lots of armor/weapon upgrades) or Shadow of Rome (mad limbs flying).

Anything come to mind?

Someone needs to remake and release Gladius on the PC. That game was so great and it is just ideal for the PC audience. That's about the only Gamecube game I ever put a substantial amount of time into.

Wow, logging back into Warframe after 11 months away, holy crap has a lot changed.

Totally new, more in-depth melee system.
A series of missions to start that walks you through things (sort of)
Freaking space-combat missions that turn your warframe into a little starfighter?

The new "command-ship" based interface is organized a bit better, but they still don't explain much about the modding system to you up front, that's for sure. Still, nice to see the frame abilities move out of the mod system completely.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Anything come to mind?

Ryse: Son of Rome has an independent gladiator component.

ExoSoul

Banned
The
second stage of the
final boss in Megabyte Punch
which itself has 3 stages of its own, just found that out on the last run
is having his way with me.
True that in the later runs I was taking unnecessary damage and not using the shield as much as I should but I can't figure out why some hits and mostly skills won't connect.
And his blue version, wtf is up with that?! The two times I sent a get giant rocket his way he put on his own fireworks display o.o
Any gaffer that has tamed this beast or more experience with it willing to share some advice?
It can also, at least partially, be because I played vidyah games for 10:30h straight today. Who knows?...
Still, I'm loving every minute I spend with this game =)

Wow, logging back into Warframe after 11 months away, holy crap has a lot changed.

Totally new, more in-depth melee system.
A series of missions to start that walks you through things (sort of)
Freaking space-combat missions that turn your warframe into a little starfighter?

The new "command-ship" based interface is organized a bit better, but they still don't explain much about the modding system to you up front, that's for sure. Still, nice to see the frame abilities move out of the mod system completely.

I never got around to trying this game, but that sounds pretty cool. I'll need to look in to that space combat.

Khronico

Beat Ada's campaign in RE6 which concludes my 20hr run through all the campaigns.

Good Things About RE6:

1. The campaign setup of seeing the same overarching story from different perspectives.
2. Combat mechanics are amazing (It's the best TPS I have played since Vanquish).
3. Characters play differently and have guns/melee moves unique to them.
4. Shooting and melee feel really good.
5. Graphics are quite nice to look at and it seems to be well optimized.
6. Story was so bad/cheesy I actually kinda liked it.

Bad Things About RE6:

1. There's a QTE segment every other minute
2. Entire sections of the game are a boring slog (Pretty much every vehicle segment, stealth sections, Leon plane and car QTE segments (what were you thinking Capcpom?)).
3. It's long and not in a good way (see #2)
4. Strange inconsistencies in cutscenes (characters will be in one place and then magically appear in another with NO explanation). Normally I wouldn't care that much about it but it seems to happen in every cutscene and it's really sloppy.
5. The final boss has approximately 591 different forms.
6. Going into the menu does not pause the game. Not pausing in the inventory is fine, I'm OK with that, but no pausing in the menu? No, just no.

I... guess I liked it? I don't even know. The combat mechanics were so good they managed to make me play 20hrs of a heavily flawed single player experience.

Am I the only one that feels like Spiderweb games are more of the same each time?
The newer Spiderweb games (Avernum/Avadon) look and play pretty similarly, though there's enough work put into the encounters that it doesn't get boring. The overall story, writing, and gameplay structure is completely different, however. Avernum is a bit more lighthearted and open-ended, with Avadon more serious and straightforward. At least, from what I've played of them.

The old Avernums are, from what I've heard, very different. For instance, they have survival mechanics that would completely change the way those games play. And Geneforge's set-up is entirely different, what with the creature-crafting and highly open-ended gameplay.

Anything come to mind?
The Witcher 2 actually has a whole arena mini-game build into the Enhanced Edition, available from the main menu and everything. There's progression both through items and abilities (I think?) and it gets real tough. It's very arcade-y and score attack-y, if that's what you're looking for.

However, the Witcher 2's an action game, with only control of the main character, so I dunno if you'd like it for that.

Aside from that, nothing springs to mind.

Messiah

Beat Ada's campaign in RE6 which concludes my 20hr run through all the campaigns.

Good Things About RE6:

1. The campaign setup of seeing the same overarching story from different perspectives.
2. Combat mechanics are amazing (It's the best TPS I have played since Vanquish).

Bad Things About RE6:

2. Entire sections of the game are a boring slog (Pretty much every vehicle segment, stealth sections, Leon plane and car QTE segments (what were you thinking Capcpom?)).
4. Strange inconsistencies in cutscenes (characters will be in one place and then magically appear in another with NO explanation). Normally I wouldn't care that much about it but it seems to happen in every cutscene and it's really sloppy.
6. Going into the menu does not pause the game. Not pausing in the inventory is fine, I'm OK with that, but no pausing in the menu? No, just no.

I... guess I liked it? I don't even know. The combat mechanics were so good they managed to make me play 20hrs of a heavily flawed single player experience.
The boss of Leon's campaign was the most ridiculous shit I've ever seen in this regard. I loved it.

Happy Birthday Ningen and Gianni!

Good Things About RE6:

Bad Things About RE6:

Agree with everything except graphics being nice, a lot of parts look really rough, low res textures all over the place. RE5 looks much better, you can tell they spread themselves thin with such a massive campaign. I agree with the optimization part though.
Now go into mercs no mercy with a friend where the gameplay will truly shine. Most fun I've had in co-op in any game ever. Yes, ever.

Ozium

Ek5WuvL.gif

Are you feeling okay?

shit you're right, I forgot zelda :p

lol I can't really think of any upcoming games on Steam that I am hyped for... except the Binding of Isaac Rebirth expansion... although to be fair I'm not sure of what's coming out...

in terms of the big games like witcher 3 (I have yet to play 1 and 2 so not excited for 3) or other things tehy are probably sequels in franchises I am either behind in or don't care about...

:/

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
All this food is killing me.

Not in the picture: Pizza, Garlic Bread and Birthday Cake (celebrating all the January Birthdays in one day)

I'll trade you for the scheduled meals I'm having till the 22nd! I'm sure the ham and cheese croissants with tomato soup is just as great and more healthy!

lol I can't really think of any upcoming games on Steam that I am hyped for... except the Binding of Isaac Rebirth expansion... although to be fair I'm not sure of what's coming out...

in terms of the big games like witcher 3 (I have yet to play 1 and 2 so not excited for 3) or other things tehy are probably sequels in franchises I am either behind in or don't care about...

Lol, if I gave a fart about Nintendo games I would say Zelda will probably be alright, but for me it's MGSV, The Witcher 3, and Batman Arkham Knight all the way. Also whatever Star Citizen stuff comes out this year.

DRAGONBALL Z XENOVERSE YEAH

I still can't believe how much great stuff there is this year... All my favorite franchises are getting new entries (well, except for The Last of Us and though there's no mainline SMT there's Persona 5).
Sometimes that Yakuza 5 announcement still feels like a dream... And TITS SC!
Witcher 3! Blooborne! Uncharted 4! Persona 5! MGSV! Fuck me!
I'm also counting the days for REmake. One of my favorite games ever, so hyped to revisit it.

Jawmuncher

I'm still not excited for MGSV.
My favorite series has been such a low point since 3 I just can't get hyped.
Not getting hurt again after MGS4.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'll trade you for the scheduled meals I'm having till the 22nd! I'm sure the ham and cheese croissants with tomato soup is just as great and more healthy!

No thanks. Im okay with the feeling that Im about to explode after this food. Bless the lasagna that will be left for tomorrow.

HoosTrax

Yeah, and you'd think that once you get it started, the rest just kind of unravels, right?

Wrong.

If I'm remembering correctly, I was really wracking my brain on almost every last cell.
I actually just finished the level (took me several hours, with a lot of breaks in between). I love how it all unfolded, especially the last bit. But yeah, I was definitely wracking my brain for every bit of progress.

I had to resort to a bit of doodling with MS Paint as one GAF'er suggested, to try to help me work things out with the last part of the level.

Lol, if I gave a fart about Nintendo games I would say Zelda will probably be alright, but for me it's MGSV, The Witcher 3, and Batman Arkham Knight all the way. Also whatever Star Citizen stuff comes out this year.

At best Arkham Knight will be the same Batman game we've already gotten twice now, but with shoe-horned batmobile driving for no reason other than they couldn't think of better ways to make things interesting. :\

At worst? Well, it'll be the worst of the series. :lol

3 sucked. Easily my least favorite MGS.
I liked most of 4. Hoping for something good out of 5... still need to play GZ.

But MGS4 was the second best game on the PS3, behind The Last of Us, that game was incredible, if MGSV is as great as 4 was I'll be damn happy.

At best Arkham Knight will be the same Batman game we've already gotten twice now, but with shoe-horned batmobile driving for no reason other than they couldn't think of better ways to make things interesting. :\

At worst? Well, it'll be the worst of the series. :lol

I'm ready for another Rocksteady Batman game, hope they go all out since it's their last Arkham game.

Jawmuncher

MGS4 for me hangs out with Dino Crisis 3.
Not even joking. But that's always been a divisive game here on GAF.
Had good ideas but a lot of them I just didn't like.

Teeth

The game MGS5 reminds me the most of is Crysis 1 with a bunch of extra situational options and that is a very good thing.

As long as there is enough content and the story doesn't get in the way too bad, it could be great.

Cautiously optimistic.

Ugh my head hurts just looking at this level.

Can't wait to see what new project the Hexcell's guy decides to work on, now that the "trilogy" is finished.

herpy derpy

Where does one start? i has completed Hexcells & Hexcells + but my initial viewing of that is ...............

Zelda = fingers crossed
MGSV = yawn wannabe movie maker
TW3 = have first game in 'gaming inbox' so no comment
Arkham = press x to win zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and/or have the voice actor tell you what to to do whether you need it or not i.e. irrespective of your ability i.e. isn't lowest denominator gaming just the best?! Oh and let us just laugh at Nintendo for doing that with their Wii lol except our PS360 games do that too, shm.
Star Citizen = :eek: at crowdfunding/probably awesome for those who wish to delve into the minutiae of game design posibilities

Ozium

But MGS4 was the second best game on the PS3, behind The Last of Us, that game was incredible, if MGSV is as great as 4 was I'll be damn happy

Ek5WuvL.gif

:p

the gameplay in 4 was (mostly) good, the story was absolute trash and cemented Kojima as a hack in my eyes... the entire ending sequence of that game is a clusterfuck of stupid... he ruined MGS2's story, and then in Peace Walker went on to ruin MGS3's... so now the only thing I wonder is what story will MGS5 ruin? :(

HoosTrax

herpy derpy

Where does one start? i has completed Hexcells & Hexcells + but my initial viewing of that is ...............
Hint for how to tackle the level at the beginning:

There are two points of attack, at the start:
- The {2} in the interior right side, used in conjunction with the Black-5 hex
- The 7 in the interior left side, used in conjunction with the Blue-2 hex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom