• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

bleh. so System Restore didn't work... T_T
guess I need to do a clean install of my entire windows now

T_T I hate doing this.
but time to do some digital decluttering

----
melp

ModBot said:
Instructions for Gallantioh:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gallantioh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dust -- MB-1E687865F620355D - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.

t1420953094z1.png

Everyone already have this game, but there's gotta be someone who doesn't. right?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
1-3 are fine personally.

I like messing a bit with MGS fans since someone on college dared to threat me for making fun of Kojima's writing skills.

I said something that Kojima and M. Night Shamalayan would make a good team for a movie.(Sarcasm) He threatened me to stab my eyes with a plastic spoon if I dared to talk trash about Kojima. Im not kidding and I wish I were making this shit up.

Jawmuncher

I like messing a bit with MGS fans since someone on college dared to threat me for making fun of Kojima's writing skills.

I said something that Kojima and M. Night Shamalayan would make a good team for a movie.(Sarcasm) He threatened me to stab my eyes with a plastic spoon if I dared to talk trash about Kojima. Im not kidding and I wish I were making this shit up.

Yeah that's a bit much. He's done good he's not perfect though.

'Fan' is an abbreviation of 'fanatic'. Waste of time trying to be reasonable with such people :/ I hope your eyes are intact!

Right, time for some Capt Toad before bed! N'night SteamGAF :).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel like a SalsaShark since I've been spending the majority of my weekend with my new New 3DS LL and Dragon Quest Terry no Wonderland 3D.

Hopefully all is well with you guys.

Ozium

I feel like a SalsaShark since I've been spending the majority of my weekend with my new New 3DS LL and Dragon Quest Terry no Wonderland 3D.

how do you like the NEW 3ds compared to the old one? I'm currently playing Mario 3d World on Wii U actually

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
how do you like the NEW 3ds compared to the old one? I'm currently playing Mario 3d World on Wii U actually

It's an absolute gem of a system. I feel it's strong point is definitely the 3D screen and how it will track the position of your head to always keep the 3D picture in place. I've played 3DS games for years and hardly ever turn the 3D on because it's always annoying trying to find the "sweet spot" and stay there. It's always been a gimmick. With this thing, I haven't turned 3D off yet because it really is that good. The new buttons and things are nice too but there aren't many games out now that utilize them (I didn't get Smash Bros or Monster Hunter 4G - yet!) but they definitely seem like an improvement over the old circle pad pro.

Overall I think it's a really good system. I'm glad I went with the LL - it's slightly larger than my US XL and it fits in my hands beautifully. I feel like the non-LL would have been too small.

Vazra

It's an absolute gem of a system. I feel it's strong point is definitely the 3D screen and how it will track the position of your head to always keep the 3D picture in place. I've played 3DS games for years and hardly ever turn the 3D on because it's always annoying trying to find the "sweet spot" and stay there. It's always been a gimmick. With this thing, I haven't turned 3D off yet because it really is that good. The new buttons and things are nice too but there aren't many games out now that utilize them (I didn't get Smash Bros or Monster Hunter 4G - yet!) but they definitely seem like an improvement over the old circle pad pro.

Overall I think it's a really good system. I'm glad I went with the LL - it's slightly larger than my US XL and it fits in my hands beautifully. I feel like the non-LL would have been too small.

Just a suggestion.

I have a 3DS and I've almost never played it (except Donkey Kong). I should probably play it, or sell it (probably to buy more Steam games I don't really have time to play...).

autoduelist

yo...hexcells is evil.

i've reached a level where the stage tells me nothing anymore, and i have to guess

i did figure it out with the resoning that "these two things cross here, and there are 3 this way, and 3 that way, totalling 5 in a v. it has to be 2 of them1 way, and 1 of them the other way. i shall pick the once at the apex and hope for the best"

You can get it down to 'it is this one' 100% of the time. There never needs to be a 'hope for the best'.

Remember that every clue not only tells you what will be, but what -can't- be. For example, imagine a 3 hex that already has 2 blues attached... but no way to know which is the third. It's easy to give up there and guess.

However, the knowledge that there is still 1 and only 1 blue left can be the 'key' info that allows you to solve a column. That is, you can often count 2 empties as '1 blue' even though you don't actually know which is blue. Sometimes you'll need to do this more than once in a column -- there may be 5 empties in a column, and 3 blues left to find in that column, but you know 1 and only 1 blue can be in the top 2, 1 and only 1 can be in the bottom 2, and therefore the middle one is definitely the '3rd' blue. The 'lack of info' is actually info.

I'm not sure if what I wrote above translates well, but the point is, you always have enough info. Just keep looking at it in different ways, and remember you don't necessarily need to know exactly where something is for it to still be helpful.

Phawx

Man fellas. Both of my kids have been vomiting at night and I've been getting shit sleep.

I miss anything in this thread?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
hexcells = 2 hours -> hexcells plus = 9 hours down, 2 puzzles left -> hexcell infinite = plz be 40 hours omg plz plz plz more hexcells in my life

Articalys

I am now closing in on the final stages in Hexcells Plus and can vouch that, no matter how hilariously little information it seems you have at the start, there is always a complete logical path to solving the entire grid.

I'm really enjoying it. Though as a perfectionist it's really nerve-wracking as you're closing in on the last few hexes in a puzzle and are wondering if you've counted everything up correctly, because one mistake will mean redoing the entire thing.

autoduelist

I got my first card pack today. It's worth 93 cents. I assume it's always better to sell than open? And why is a card pack so much more valuable than the 3 common cards it almost certainly contains?

HoosTrax

hexcells = 2 hours -> hexcells plus = 9 hours down, 2 puzzles left -> hexcell infinite = plz be 40 hours omg plz plz plz more hexcells in my life
Technically, Hexcells Infinite is indeed infinite (or as infinite as a pseudorandom generator based on an 32-bit integer seed can be). The game has a level generator.

That said, the random levels I saw weren't quite as challenging as the latter half of the Infinite levels. The game designer really put some thought into making some devilishly clever hand-made levels, and level generator can't really match it.

Lomax

I am now closing in on the final stages in Hexcells Plus and can vouch that, no matter how hilariously little information it seems you have at the start, there is always a complete logical path to solving the entire grid.

I'm really enjoying it. Though as a perfectionist it's really nerve-wracking as you're closing in on the last few hexes in a puzzle and are wondering if you've counted everything up correctly, because one mistake will mean redoing the entire thing.

I typically found the very end of most puzzles much less stressful than the middle, because usually by that point things are coming together and the choices are obvious. The mid-stages where you have most of the board still covered and you have to figure out the one spot you can uncover were the most strenuous for me. That and my tendency to make a stupid mistake by clicking the wrong mouse button and making myself start over if it was my second error.

I got my first card pack today. It's worth 93 cents. I assume it's always better to sell than open? And why is a card pack so much more valuable than the 3 common cards it almost certainly contains?

There's rarely a substantial difference, you sure you didn't just get lucky and get a pack for a game that still has valuable cards? Sometimes booster prices spike if there's very low supply but you'll find that they won't ever sell at those inflated points if it's radically higher than the three cards are worth. Though a bit of a premium isn't unusual.

I'm also playing Hexcell Plus and this game is simple but well done. It's relaxing and tense at the same time, the music puts you to a relaxed state but solving the puzzles put me on a tense state where if I do a mistake I'm going to restart the level.

Lain

MGS4 for me hangs out with Dino Crisis 3.
Not even joking. But that's always been a divisive game here on GAF.
Had good ideas but a lot of them I just didn't like.

The only thing I didn't like about MGS4 were the boss fights. One of them especially made me wish bad things on whoever it was that devised it.
Well, the installs sucked too, but that's a given.
Still, that free database app they made for it, so damn awesome.

Vazra

MGS4 for me hangs out with Dino Crisis 3.
Not even joking. But that's always been a divisive game here on GAF.
Had good ideas but a lot of them I just didn't like.

His name pops up in Dino Crisis 3 credits which automatically makes it better than Metal Gear Solid 4.
shinji-mikamis-new-game-called-zwei.jpg

Turfster

People can beat Ryu and have trouble with the final boss? How the hell is this possible?

Oh it's Turfster. ^_^
Making the impossible possible since 1903. :D

Ryu was piss easy in comparison, only took like 4 tries.
He also didn't do his stupid monologuing time wasting things that take up a like a full minute before you can actually hit him once, then more stupid monologue, then another hit, then more stupid monologue, etc...

Ryu was piss easy in comparison, only took like 4 tries.
He also didn't do his stupid monologuing time wasting things that take up a like a full minute before you can actually hit him once, then more stupid monologue, then another hit, then more stupid monologue, etc...

Ryu also kills you in 1 hit/combo, where as with the final douche it's just a matter of having the right weapons at the right time (execute the first bride, drop the whip, save it til the end).
Yeah, it's annoying if he somehow kills you, but compared to some of the other stuff in the game, he's really not hard in comparison.

Don't mind me, I'm a grouchy old bastard. But I still <3 you, grandpa. :p

Turfster

Ryu also kills you in 1 hit/combo, where as with the final douche it's just a matter of having the right weapons at the right time (execute the first bride, drop the whip, save it til the end).
Yeah, it's annoying if he somehow kills you, but compared to some of the other stuff in the game, he's really not hard in comparison.

Don't mind me, I'm a grouchy old bastard. But I still <3 you, grandpa. :p

What? What whip, what bride? =p
I'm talking about the
big honking stone god you have to hit in the chest a dozen times while he summons clowns and punchdrunks and you dodge his slams, who then summons two fire priests and after that starts punching the board you're standing on, then electrocutes it...
The brides are probably in like one of the next phases, I'm guessing?
Like I said, bullshit Japanese endboss design!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is not what I want to be seeing when I launch a game...

Yeah, I really wish some company would make an easier method of patching... like you could just have this client in the background that auto-updates your stuff and you don't even need to manage it. That way you wouldn't have to have per-game patching systems that annoy you by making you wait for the patch when you launch the game. So weird no one has done that.

iosefe

Yeah, I really wish some company would make an easier method of patching... like you could just have this client in the background that auto-updates your stuff and you don't even need to manage it. That way you wouldn't have to have per-game patching systems that annoy you by making you wait for the patch when you launch the game. So weird no one has done that.

&#3232;_&#3232;

autoduelist

Chance of foil.

Seems off, but what do I know. The game is Tides of Fate. Commons seems to go for 10ish cents. Foils range from .40 to 4, but most seem to be about a buck. So .95 cents for a 3 pack seems rather high to me, since the odds are it's only worth .30, and even if you get a foil you aren't guaranteed profit.

BUT... whatever, if the market wants to pay me a buck, the market can pay me a buck.

I also don't really know the odds of a foil in a pack, which would certainly affect price. I'm just going on the fact that I almost never see foils and assuming they're quite rare. (3 foils in around 90 games idled).

HoosTrax

The servers are working? I tried to reinstall it before and it failed.
I don't know if the multiplayer functionality is working the way it's supposed to, but the game itself is working fine for me.

I some named cars driving around while in free-roam mode, but I don't know if these are AI drivers or humans (they have pretty generic names like "Mark" or something).

Corpekata

Banned
Seems off, but what do I know. The game is Tides of Fate. Commons seems to go for 10ish cents. Foils range from .40 to 4, but most seem to be about a buck. So .95 cents for a 3 pack seems rather high to me, since the odds are it's only worth .30, and even if you get a foil you aren't guaranteed profit.

BUT... whatever, if the market wants to pay me a buck, the market can pay me a buck.

I also don't really know the odds of a foil in a pack, which would certainly affect price. I'm just going on the fact that I almost never see foils and assuming they're quite rare. (3 foils in around 90 games idled).

Well, the market might not actually give you that buck. If you look at the price history of that pack, none have ever sold, so it being worth 90 cents is not really accurate. It's not a popular game so it is very likely it will only ever sell in the 40 cents range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom