• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

You can't just drop the difficulty down mid-campaign? Nevermind.

Nope, I started on normal, got stuck on mission 4, then had to start the whole fucking game over on easy... and now it's another bullshit Japanese artificial stretched end boss fight with a billion stages.

Kuroyume

Banned
Ek5WuvL.gif

:p

the gameplay in 4 was (mostly) good, the story was absolute trash and cemented Kojima as a hack in my eyes... the entire ending sequence of that game is a clusterfuck of stupid... he ruined MGS2's story, and then in Peace Walker went on to ruin MGS3's... so now the only thing I wonder is what story will MGS5 ruin? :(

MGS2's story ruined itself.

Ek5WuvL.gif

:p

the gameplay in 4 was (mostly) good, the story was absolute trash and cemented Kojima as a hack in my eyes... the entire ending sequence of that game is a clusterfuck of stupid... he ruined MGS2's story, and then in Peace Walker went on to ruin MGS3's... so now the only thing I wonder is what story will MGS5 ruin? :(

grTWuyN.gif

I don't know, I've always liked all the stories, they're dumb sure but I don't hold that against them. I like Kojima's brand of madness.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
MGS4 was amazing in every aspect.

giphy.gif

Not at all!

The story that we had was perfect in MGS3 but then MGS4 decided to go to another type of cheese that didnt work. The gameplay while fun at the same time it wasnt as interesting as MGS3 or 2.

So IMO MGS4 is a disappointment

giphy.gif

Not at all!

The story that we had was perfect in MGS3 but then MGS4 decided to go to another type of cheese that didnt work. The gameplay while fun at the same time it wasnt as interesting as MGS3 or 2.

So IMO MGS4 is a disappointment

See I thought the gameplay in 4 was the best by a long shot. damn near perfected 3rd person stealth action, MGSV does it even better I think.

def sim

Man, Styx should have taken the time to introduce the whistle mechanic in the tutorial. It's kind of a game changer and I only found out about it when looking for quick load/quick save keys in the control menu.

Vazra

See I thought the gameplay in 4 was the best by a long shot. damn near perfected 3rd person stealth action, MGSV does it even better I think.
hillarygif.gif

The problem is that is not really that much stealth and mostly action and it isn't as tactical as the previous games in the series.

EDIT: Splinter Cell Stealth >>> MGS Stealth

The problem with 4 was imo, that it had a mission/level-structure instead of a "more open" level structure that MGS1-3 had.

I didn't mind that so much, the levels were open enough to not feel like they were entirely linear, while not as big as MGS2 or 3 it didn't feel like it hindered the game to me.

Jawmuncher

I have a friend who thinks the notion of playing games on easy is insulting, and then complains about games being too hard.

I used to think is way. But whe. Stuff just gets too crazy like stuck somewhere for a long time because of difficulty I lower it if able. I'm not really in games for the challenge anymore if it's on some escalated scale.

I have played:

MGS: so hyped but pretty meh
MGS2: lol even worse in that respect/aren't pretentious cut scenes that take one away from actually playing what is supposed to be a game the best thing eva?!
MGS 3DS demo: yawn
MGS GBA: VR mode = WIN! + >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else in the crappy series.

Oh but this is completely off topic since Kojima has a hard on for Playstation. Oh, well this post will fit right in.

Vazra

F1lBYKc.gif

I stealthed the whole game 2 times and thought it was as good as the previous games, and I don't see how it's not as tactical as previous games?

Just cause you can play stealth style it doesnt make it more tactical than the previous games. The previous games you actually had to use stealth to deal with situations cause going all out would end in your death for most of the part.

MGS GBA: VR mode = WIN! + >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else in the crappy series.

Oh but this is completely off topic since Kojima has a hard on for Playstation. Oh, well this post will fit right in.
Ac!d games >>>>>> the rest of the series tbh.

Just cause you can play stealth style it doesnt make it more tactical than the previous games. The previous games you actually had to use stealth to deal with situations cause going all out would end in your death for most of the part.

I don't think making stealth mandatory to success in parts makes for good gameplay, the fact that either stealth or action could be used in any situation in MGS4 makes more sense.

EDIT: Also, I'm out of relevant Vince McMahon gifs so apologies if I don't post anymore lol.

Ozium

I have played:

MGS: so hyped but pretty meh
MGS2: lol even worse in that respect/aren't pretentious cut scenes that take one away from actually playing what is supposed to be a game the best thing eva?!
MGS 3DS demo: yawn

konami pls rerelease ghost babel on 3ds eshop and metal gear solid collection on steam

would also take ghost babel on steam, obviously, but I'm trying to be reasonable

hillarygif.gif

The problem is that is not really that much stealth and mostly action and it isn't as tactical as the previous games in the series.

EDIT: Splinter Cell Stealth >>> MGS Stealth

I would agree with you in that respect although I do not know what that gif is since I have all images off by default in my profile settings. However, assuming it is not a creepy gif [that you are prone to] I thank you for that. I have had much more fun in the first three Splinter Cell games than anything I have played in the Kojima debacles despite Ubisoft becoming in recent years, well Ubisoft :/.

Vazra

I would agree with you in that respect although I do not know what that gif is since I have all images off by default in my profile settings. However, assuming it is not a creepy gif [that you are prone to] I thank you for that. I have had much more fun in the first three Splinter Cell games than anything I have played in the Kojima debacles despite Ubisoft becoming in recent years, well Ubisoft :/.

It's a Hillary Clinton gif. The last Splinter Cell despite some issues it managed to go back to some of the good parts of the old Splinter Cell series. There are a few dumb areas but there are some really memorable stealth centered missions.

Ac!d games >>>>>> the rest of the series tbh.

Okay but why? I am not buying a PSP just for one game, sorry.

EDIT: Also, I'm out of relevant Vince McMahon gifs so apologies if I don't post anymore lol.

A lack of VM gifs is a huge plus from my point of view so please don't let that stop you posting your perspective :).
It's a Hillary Clinton gif. The last Splinter Cell despite some issues it managed to go back to some of the good parts of the old Splinter Cell series. There are a few dumb areas but there are some really memorable stealth centered missions.

That's Blacklist, right? I'll have to ask that fine fellow GAFfer teh monk what he thinks of it since he recently acquired it :).

Vazra

Okay but why? I am not buying a PSP just for one game, sorry.

That's Blacklist, right? I'll have to ask that fine fellow GAFfer teh monk what he thinks of it since he recently acquired it :).

You're lucky Acid Games are 2!

As for Blacklist I think I could let Steam Share with you for a bit so you could try it.

You're lucky Acid Games are 2!

As for Blacklist I think I could let Steam Share with you for a bit so you could try it.

Well the only game I have been tempted to get a PSP for is teh Mon Hun gaems. i has played Mon Hun Tri and Mon Hun Tri 3 for hundreds of hours [and still not completed either, lol] but your offer is very kind :). I may well take you up on that!* Thank you :D.

* I never play on-line completive gaems [as Michael Jackson said: I'm a lover not a fighter. Hm, probably not the best analogy to use :/] However, a VPN ban is inexplicale in my case so thank you for the inherent trust in me that your post implies <3.

FLD

Man, Styx should have taken the time to introduce the whistle mechanic in the tutorial. It's kind of a game changer and I only found out about it when looking for quick load/quick save keys in the control menu.

Holy shit, you're joking, right? I played through the entire game without knowing there even was one! I'm pretty sure at multiple times I even thought "Man, being able to whistle like in Splinter Cell sure would be useful right about now..."

I'd usually end up deliberately running, jumping or knocking stuff over to lure enemies. It wasn't very reliable. :/

Vazra

Well the only game I have been tempted to get a PSP for is teh Mon Hun gaems. i has played Mon Hun Tri and Mon Hun Tri 3 for hundreds of hours [and still not completed either, lol] but your offer is very kind :). I may well take you up on that!* Thank you :D.

* I never play on-line completive gaems [as Michael Jackson said: I'm a lover not a fighter. Hm, probably not the best analogy to use :/] However, a VPN ban is inexplicale in my case so thank you for the inherent trust in me that your post implies <3.

Well I remember the game has uplay so I think that isn't allowed for family share. I gotta check on that to be clear.

EDIT:Damn it...

Just a theory here, but that might be a contributing factor to why you didn't like it :p

If the HD collection PC port rumor is true, try it again when the price gets low enough for you.

Thanks but I suspect that the fact that it was the fourth MGS game I had played with a wannable movie maker that turned me off it :p.

I have no problem with games that aspire to be "cinematic" and the gamers who wish to play such games. However, I play games because I actually wish to play them rather than sit passively watching a cinematic. One man's meat and all that :).

yo...hexcells is evil.

i've reached a level where the stage tells me nothing anymore, and i have to guess

It is but not as evil as the subsequent games :p.

The wonderful aspect to them though is that one never actually needs to guess. Each puzzle is eminently deductible using deductive reasoning. So many puzzles have had me staring at the screen going herp derp and then seeing something I had previously overlooked. Keep at it. It will reveal itself, I promise :). The only puzzles I have issues with are those that require the player to hold multiple potential possibilities in mind when making a single move. They are fortunately few in number in the first two games :).

I'm ready for another Rocksteady Batman game, hope they go all out since it's their last Arkham game.

You've seen the latest gameplay involving the batmobile and you're still excited? I'd be a lot more excited if the Batmobile gameplay didn't look like utter garbage. Oh well, I hope it's decent enough since you're gung ho for it. :)

def sim

Holy shit, you're joking, right? I played through the entire game without knowing there even was one! I'm pretty sure at multiple times I even thought "Man, being able to whistle like in Splinter Cell sure would be useful right about now..."

I'd usually end up deliberately running, jumping or knocking stuff over to lure enemies. It wasn't very reliable. :/

It's mapped on the X key or down on the d-pad. I thought they would have introduced it in a later mission. :O

Lomax

yo...hexcells is evil.

i've reached a level where the stage tells me nothing anymore, and i have to guess

You never have to guess. There are times where it is probably easier to make an educated guess (especially since you get one free mistake), but the information is always there. That's why I loved them, sitting and staring at the screen and just thinking things through was so rewarding. One easy thing to forget is how useful knowing the number of remaining tiles can be.

Vazra

Well it's the thought that counts so big hugs here from me :D.

I know the Monk has it in his library though so it gives me a perfect opportunity to troll him about me using his copy to play it :p.

LOL. If you want to try another game in the future that is on my library let me know and I should let you try it :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
yo...hexcells is evil.

There's literally no Hexcells puzzle where you need to guess. There are some where you need to make extremely complex tentative assumption sets and figure out which things cannot be true and which things must be true, but that's as bad as it gets. It's made worse by the fact that there's no UI for tentatively exploring a solution the way there is in Minesweeper and since it's hexes it's also harder to draw on paper than Minesweeper would be.

iosefe

i did figure it out with the resoning that "these two things cross here, and there are 3 this way, and 3 that way, totalling 5 in a v. it has to be 2 of them1 way, and 1 of them the other way. i shall pick the once at the apex and hope for the best"

LOL. If you want to try another game in the future that is on my library let me know and I should let you try it :p

Thank you :). You are the first SteamGAFer to make such an offer so I am genuinely touched :). My backlog [both Steam and otherwise] is overbearing however so unless I make substantial inroads into them I do not anticipate that I shall take you up on your kind offer. If I do though you shall certainly be the first to know; thank you :D.

There's literally no Hexcells puzzle where you need to guess. There are some where you need to make extremely complex tentative assumption sets and figure out which things cannot be true and which things must be true, but that's as bad as it gets. It's made worse by the fact that there's no UI for tentatively exploring a solution the way there is in Minesweeper and since it's hexes it's also harder to draw on paper than Minesweeper would be.

Yep. At its heart it is a binary game. That might make it sound simplistic and easy but it is anything but. So satisfying when one solves a puzzle using nothing but deductive reasoning :).

i did figure it out with the resoning that "these two things cross here, and there are 3 this way, and 3 that way, totalling 5 in a v. it has to be 2 of them1 way, and 1 of them the other way. i shall pick the once at the apex and hope for the best"

Good man :). That sounds like Hexcells alright!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom