• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of fenners, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Meltdown -- MB-09C6458C8DB6BDCC - Taken by Dice. 2 entrants total.
Knights of Pen and Paper Plus1 Edition -- MB-0320874E85BAC5F1 - Taken by Gallantioh. 5 entrants total.

t1421076346z1.png

ExoSoul

Banned
And you somehow are an expert in language and meaning of words? You created it?
Gosh I hate language arguments, they make everybody look so entitled and clueless (><)
We'll agree to disagree? Deal?
Have I searched for their roots? Yes.
Being right is not being entitled
I said this just to spite you =P
Sure.

Cast times aren't that fast and many bosses can either hit you with attacks in lock-on range or close the gap almost immediately. Also you have a limited number of casts of each spell and no way to refill them mid-boss. Woah, sorcery has some potential downsides too.
Depending on the spell and they're still faster than dealing the same amount of damage in melee, not to forget that you're free to move to safety while the spell is traveling.
You dodge those with more ease because you can cast and forget/regen stamina, if you're at melee range you either don't attack to dodge or you'll empty your stamina in damage and take the hit.
Yes because you're clearly bound to a single spell with no slots to either increase the number of casts or to have other spells that you can switch to with the press of a button all the while not having an animation for it or greater equipment burden. (also this is just untrue for Dark Souls 2 given that there are items with the sole purpose of recovering casts for spells)

Arthea

I will hate trading captcha given time, I managed to misread it 3 times in a row, bah... isn't confirming I'm not a robot enough?!

(also this is just untrue for Dark Souls 2 given that there are items with the sole purpose of recovering casts for spells)

DS2 is a whole other beast when it comes to the caster vs melee discussion. Between heavily resistant enemies and flat nerfs (like miracles received) the caster can't be boxed in with the same reductive thinking that labels them as spammy glass cannons.

There's still a measure of skill involved in playing a caster in Dark Souls (1) but I feel that it pales to that of playing melee.

Dr Dogg

You know what Valve really need to come up with? A way to delete items stored in your Steam Cloud. Just went through an arduous task to trick Steam into a conflict with local and cloud files then get it to upload a bunch of dummy files and clear it out which could be easily resolved by letting the user have control over them. The amount of hassle I just went through to do that isn't going to be something someone is going to do by accident so a little control would be nice. Same thing with Achievements, why can't I clear them and start afresh if I want to? SAM proves it's possible and it's not like they amount to anything that willy waving. Bah who am I kidding!

Has anyone here tried robocraft?

You build your own vehicle out of different types of blocks (similar to banjo nuts and bolts apparently) and then fight them in 10v10 matches.

It's has a lot of similarities to world of tanks
- control points on a map in 10 vs 10
- vehicles seperated into tiers (just with way tighter and better matchmaking than WoT)
- research new parts that can then be used freely
- spotting system + a radio like system
- being able to damage individual parts/modules and have a crippled vehicle (but way funnier than in world of tanks as you can design your robot to have parts break off while still being functional with redundancies/clever design)

As far as I can tell there is no pay2win (unlike world of tanks), meaning no premium vehicles or parts, no premium ammo (or any type of ammo) and much much faster unlocks/progression.

I've been playing it for 2 days and am having a lot of fun with it.
I've spent hours and hours making changes to the robots I make, optimising them and trying the changes in a battle and then optimising them some more or starting over from scratch.
It's really satisfying to come up with a good idea that works in an otherwise shitty vehicle design, then start over from scratch around that module (e.g I've kept the same nose design for my SMG tank for the last 3 tiers as it was very efficient) .
Eventually you work out more 'modules' ( a pilot module, a wheel/track one) that you then try to combine into a new vehicles.

There's a lot of variety in parts
-You can make machine gun tanks, artillery vehicles, rail gun sniper/burst type vehicles, zeppelins, flying fortresses, just a pilot's chair with some thrusters and a high tiered gun underneath, bombers, fast hovering support vehicles with healing lasers, giant spider like walkers etc etc etc

-vehicles have interesting physics, you need to balance the weight distribution , too high a center of gravity (or poor design and one half of your tank getting blown up causing it to tip over) or uneven distribution might cause your vehicle to flip or.
There are even special weighted blocks to compensate

Anyhow you can make really cool modular designs

There is surprisingly no cookie cutter design, I've been killed by a guy who made a triceratops out of the parts and made it work, saw a guy with a giant gingerbread man vertical tank, I've seen a tiny fast pod like healer with energy shields all around that spins around fast while healing someone to spread the damage across the shields on all sides.

Think robot wars crazy design ,on crack, in a way that actually works and is fun to play.

Having to balance out firepower, redundancy (reserve wheels or helium cubes etc) , armor (how many blocks you put in front of key blocks like wheels/threads/weapons etc or your pilot's seat (if your pilot sear is destroyed you blow up ) , vehicle balance and center of gravity and mobility makes for endless possibilities.

I'm really surprised how well the gameplay works for a game with this concept (which sounds amazing in your imagination but is easy to fuck up).
It's a small miracle too that the game is not pay2win or bogged down with some big grind walling off your chance at creativity and that the hit detection seems solid and that the servers arent laggy.

Making a balanced floater/flyer is also a lot trickier than it seems (but not unintuitive), and again surprisingly the game makes the control surfaces and wheels actually WORK, I can put 4 (steering) wheels on each side of my tank and the game makes the thing drive, most games that let you build vehicles are very janky and unintuitive when it comes to this.

edit: and there is one neat bonus mode (other than conquest and king of the hill), which is boss mode.
It puts 10 low tier players against 1 high tier one.
Somehow it's surprisingly fun, I've seen some great high tier designs (some big super fast spider with plasma weapons that crapped all over us) and there's a pretty even balance between who wins (the lowbies or the 'boss')

Some random designs from google image:

edit: I ended up putting more effort into this post than I intended, going to make a thread instead;

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Depending on the spell and they're still faster than dealing the same amount of damage in melee, not to forget that you're free to move to safety while the spell is traveling.
You dodge those with more ease because you can cast and forget/regen stamina, if you're at melee range you either don't attack to dodge or you'll empty your stamina in damage and take the hit.
Yes because you're clearly bound to a single spell with no slots to either increase the number of casts or to have other spells that you can switch to with the press of a button all the while not having an animation for it or greater equipment burden. (also this is just untrue for Dark Souls 2 given that there are items with the sole purpose of recovering casts for spells)

Your argument for melee skill is completely reliant on the person being garbage at stamina management, having no stamina on their meter and having a garbage shield with no stability. So yeah, being an idiot sword and shield wielder is hard.

You know what Valve really need to come up with? A way to delete items stored in your Steam Cloud. Just went through an arduous task to trick Steam into a conflict with local and cloud files then get it to upload a bunch of dummy files and clear it out which could be easily resolved by letting the user have control over them. The amount of hassle I just went through to do that isn't going to be something someone is going to do by accident so a little control would be nice. Same thing with Achievements, why can't I clear them and start afresh if I want to? SAM proves it's possible and it's not like they amount to anything that willy waving. Bah who am I kidding!
I wish hiding games from your library would actually remove them from your stats and hide the achievement stuff related to them properly. Half my library is buried on the Steam client, but I still have to sift through the garbage every time I look at something online.

I agree, both would be very useful features, but we are talking about volvo... :\

abracadaver

I wish hiding games from your library would actually remove them from your stats and hide the achievement stuff related to them properly. Half my library is buried on the Steam client, but I still have to sift through the garbage every time I look at something online.

Why did you get them in the first place if you don't even want to see them anymore?

Alavard

Continuing in my trend of focusing on games I picked up during the Winter Sale, I decided to start up Murdered: Soul Suspect this weekend. I'm about halfway through so far, and am really wondering where all the hate for this game came from, as I'm legitimately enjoying myself. It's not a 10/10 GOTY or anything, but it certainly feels better than the really bad review scores I've seen suggest.

Has anyone here tried robocraft?

You build your own vehicle out of different types of blocks (similar to banjo nuts and bolts apparently) and then fight them in 10v10 matches.

Thanks for this detailed post!

I was impressed by the trailer, downloaded it, and added it to my "Play ASAP" category, but I think the Free2Play stigma was subconsciously keeping it on the back burner.

When there's not pay2win, there's usually a huge grind to be competitive. But it sounds like I won't have to be veteran bait for hours to build up to something fun. Will check this out soon.

Phinor

I amassed quite a lot credits when they started with playfire rewards. GMG never had any good deals so I still have a lot left even after my RE-HDR purchase

Yep, the rewards used to be quite meaningful. I had around 45 euros of credit from Playfire rewards at one point and since they disabled voucher+credit combo, I never had anything to use the credit on. This VIP system is finally enabling me to spend that credit. I originally planned to save it all for GTA 5 but it looks like that copy wouldn't register on Steam so I'll just have to wait for Steam sales on that one.

edit: To put this in context, I earned three £0.10 rewards couple of days ago. The previous reward before that was from November (two £0.10 rewards to be exact). Meanwhile, in September alone I earned £9.60.

ExoSoul

Banned
Your argument for melee skill is completely reliant on the person being garbage at stamina management, having no stamina on their meter and having a garbage shield with no stability. So yeah, being an idiot sword and shield wielder is hard.

Those are the ones who laud the Souls series as being the hardest, infuriating games.
Inapt for melee they turn to sorcery, hence why it's scorned by those who know how to battle.

Dr Dogg

I guess a user configurable integer field with the options 1). Public 2). Friends Only 3). Private and finally 4). Hidden is a bit too much to ask for game entries in Steam Community. No it's not like they have games hidden if they are not released or classed as such like betas or suchlike so they don't show to anyone bar owners.

I agree, both would be very useful features, but we are talking about volvo... :\

It's annoying when there are clearly features they could implement into the client and service as a whole that others have had the foresight to come up with solutions. Even more so when these would only add to the experience and usability.

wilflare

okay folks - any good guide on a clean install of Windows 8.1 (and OSX)?
time to give the PC a good clean install at the start of the year

and is there anyway to slipstream the updates so I don't have to go through Windows Update right after a clean install?

--- I asked this in the Tech Support thread but well

EDIT - i'm down to just IndieGala Mondays and Fridays, Groupees, Lazy Guys, Flying Bundle and Humble for my bundle purchases these days
and the occasional Bundlestars

maybe I should cut down more T_T

Miracles were actually nerfed in DS2?

I played almost purely as a Lightning Spear user in DS2 and it felt like easy mode for PVE. I never used miracles in DS1 and so don't have a basis for comparison.

They were nerfed in a patch. Reduced the number of Spears and a damage reduction that may or may not have been due to the increase in resistances that the same patch deployed. It happened a few months after the game came out. There were no end of hyperbolic posts like "Faith is RUINED" and demanding refunds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom