• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

They were nerfed in a patch. Reduced the number of Spears and a damage reduction that may or may not have been due to the increase in resistances that the same patch deployed. It happened a few months after the game came out. There were no end of hyperbolic posts like "Faith is RUINED" and demanding refunds.
Ah I see. I bought the PC version at release and finished it and never got around to replaying it, so I guess that was all pre-nerf.

Grief.exe

okay folks - any good guide on a clean install of Windows 8.1 (and OSX)?
time to give the PC a good clean install at the start of the year

and is there anyway to slipstream the updates so I don't have to go through Windows Update right after a clean install?

--- I asked this in the Tech Support thread but well

EDIT - i'm down to just IndieGala Mondays and Fridays, Groupees, Lazy Guys, Flying Bundle and Humble for my bundle purchases these days
and the occasional Bundlestars

maybe I should cut down more T_T

Here is a good place to start, I always have one of his guides open whenever I reformat.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You know what Valve really need to come up with? A way to delete items stored in your Steam Cloud. Just went through an arduous task to trick Steam into a conflict with local and cloud files then get it to upload a bunch of dummy files and clear it out which could be easily resolved by letting the user have control over them. The amount of hassle I just went through to do that isn't going to be something someone is going to do by accident so a little control would be nice. Same thing with Achievements, why can't I clear them and start afresh if I want to? SAM proves it's possible and it's not like they amount to anything that willy waving. Bah who am I kidding!

I'm still waiting for client-side chat logs.

Echoplx

okay folks - any good guide on a clean install of Windows 8.1 (and OSX)?
time to give the PC a good clean install at the start of the year

and is there anyway to slipstream the updates so I don't have to go through Windows Update right after a clean install?

--- I asked this in the Tech Support thread but well

EDIT - i'm down to just IndieGala Mondays and Fridays, Groupees, Lazy Guys, Flying Bundle and Humble for my bundle purchases these days
and the occasional Bundlestars

maybe I should cut down more T_T

You can use this tool to create an installation disc with all the major updates.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Khronico

Bought Ys I & II Chronicles+ to mostly empty my Steam wallet. (a few cent left..)
Lets see how it compares to the other two Ys games.

Chronicles was my entry into the series so the slightly archaic design didn't bother me, but if you have already played others it may bother you. Combat system is... interesting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is there a console game equivalent to IsThereAnyDeal.com? That site has been such an amazing crutch for me on the PC side and it would be handy to have something like that for the console exclusives I want to pick up at specific price points.

Knurek

Chronicles was my entry into the series so the slightly archaic design didn't bother me, but if you have already played others it may bother you. Combat system is... interesting.

You should always remember when playing Ys Chronicles that they are 1987 games.
As old as Mega Man, Contra, Maniac Mansion, Final Fantasy and Dungeon Master.
(And way more playable than any game from that list, maybe with the exception of FF)

Khronico

(And way more playable than any game from that list, maybe with the exception of FF)

Yes absolutely.

I played them in 2013 and I liked both 1 and 2 so much they are now among my favorite games of all time.

I bought a Vita partly to play Memories of Celceta.

Jawmuncher

Memories of Celceta was the shit.
I couldn't put it down when I played it.
Hope the rumor of that hitting pc happens.

Only Ys game I have played though. Don't think I'll ever bother with 1&2. Felghana and Orgins I'll probably get around to.

Tizoc

Do I gaf?
pZkNSML.png

Do I?
Do I?!
DO I DO IT?!!?!

Sometimes I hate having discovered cheaper alternatives =_=

Grief.exe

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Is there a console game equivalent to IsThereAnyDeal.com? That site has been such an amazing crutch for me on the PC side and it would be handy to have something like that for the console exclusives I want to pick up at specific price points.

Cheapassgamer.com would be my first guess. They have a wishlist/watchlist deal as well.

We were discussing In Home Streaming, that was in reference to a streaming box ala Chromecast, Roku, FireTV, etc.
Ops. Must have missed that. Yeah, in that aspect it makes a lot of sense. Maybe my inner desire for a steamboy got a hold of me too much so I instinctively thought about sth else, haha.
]Any type of 5.1/7.1 headsets are generally a gimmick where stereo headphones will have much higher quality production.
The worst possible scenario are the headsets with cheap, individual speakers for simulating 7.1. Never, ever buy these.
I am not in the know regarding headphones or audio stuff in general, so thanks for this information. I would have thought 5.1 headphones to be automatically the better choice. Still playing on my Philip SBC HP200 cheap headphones. I like the base it gives.
Oh man, started a new save in Dark Souls. After 70 hours played, the difference is astonishing.
Feels like []http://i.imgur.com/WgkAEAi.gif[/IMG]
No kidding. Don't know whether it's because got my wings stubbed by Demon's Souls or Dark Souls being actually easier to get into but I have a much, much easier and enjoyable time with Dark Souls. The beginning was nice and easy and till now I didn't have to put hours into souls farming unlike Demon's Souls.
I like it this way.
So I'm finally well enough to go back to school. Which start tomorrow. I'm excited (yeah weird, who the hell is excited for school). I won't be on GAF as much cause I gotta focus and try to graduate as soon as possible.
(Though I feel like I haven't been on much anyway since the ban) but anyway be safe guys, enjoy your games + life and don't do anything too stupid.
I'll see you guys around. I'll try to check GAF at least once a day.
Very nice! Congrats and have fun man. Living the dream. It's my wish/future plan as well to make a degree in the future.
Only gets worse, man.
Lost 39k once. x.x
I feel you. I must have lost around 60k in that damn Sen's Fortress :/
Damn, now I want to play Dark Souls again.
Oof. So many souls :O
Fuck Blighttown.
Idk, I didn't fell even once. The trick is to take enemies out one by one either by surprise or luring them in via arrow.

Those fat ugly flies are also waaaay less dangerous than they look.

Jawmuncher

You guys are right... I would be doing myself a disservice by denying good games... so skip out on bundles thats just +1 games?

Yep. I looked back and realized 95% of the bundlesI bough I haven't even played. Im sure that's th case for a lot of people here. I don't even buy 1 dollar tier stuff now if I'm not gonna play it.

Nabs

You guys are right... I would be doing myself a disservice by denying good games... so skip out on bundles thats just +1 games?

Do this. Focus your energy on games that look good instead.

---

I'm going to repost this because it looks so good:

The Next Penelope looks like the next game to watch. It's hitting Early Access on the 22nd, but will have all the solo content in the game from the jump. This video pretty much sold me on it.

Steam Link and Website

Arthea

a word of warning, something seems to be wrong with Alphadia Genesis download, it shows as unlocked but when you choose to install it, it downloads 0 MB. Now waiting begins.

JaseC

a word of warning, something seems to be wrong with Alphadia Genesis download, it shows as unlocked but when you choose to install it, it downloads 0 MB. Now waiting begins.

Try now. A depot was replaced about a minute ago.

Grief.exe

Is there a way to stop steam group notifications to show up during gameplay?

The only way is to turn off the Steam Overlay entirely in settings.

Just be more selective about what games you do purchase. You really don't need to add, or play for that matter, those hundreds of bundled games.

The only games I purchased during the Steam winter sale, other than those titles with tenuious licencing, were MGSV, Wolfenstein, and The Long Dark. I've beaten the former two, and will be starting on The Long Dark very shortly.

Dr Dogg

Man, my no buying games during 2015 is starting to suck, missing out on that RE:HD action.o_O

I was debating doing that but seeing as I already have The Witcher III and Pillars of Eternity bought and paid for I though I my as well give myself a little leeway and have 5 'Wildcards' to kind of keep me on the straight and narrow and keep the year a little fresh so not to do the old Steam Library Shuffle of dithering on what to play next. Though picking a further 3 out of GTA V, Resident Evil: RE-Remake, Ass Creed Rogue, Ass Creed Victory, FFXIII Lightning Returns, Batman Arkham Knight, MGS V: TPP, Majora's Mask and The New Zelda requires much, much more resilience than I think I have. Still I'm doing good so far... only 12 days in to the year :(

Momentary

Banned
History strongly suggests that Batman will be bundled with Nvidia GPUs.

Doh...and I'm actually buying GPUs around the May timeframe. Maybe they will bundle MKX as well.

Do this. Focus your energy on games that look good instead.

---

I'm going to repost this because it looks so good:

The Next Penelope looks like the next game to watch. It's hitting Early Access on the 22nd, but will have all the solo content in the game from the jump. This video pretty much sold me on it.

Steam Link and Website

I put this on my favorites a few days ago. It's like a Racer / Shmup hybrid. I want it pretty bad.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm limiting myself to two games a month this year (really started in December with MGS: GZ and Captain Toad) and I set up a spreadsheet to help me keep track of what I want to buy, what I've purchased each month and whether or not I've finished each purchase. I already picked up Life is Strange (love Dontnod/female protag) and REmake HD (great price-point/Capcom test) for January. GTA5 got pushed it's slot to a February one and it will probably be delayed out of January by Rockstar anyways.

Momentary

Banned
If it's not shitty F2P spacebux, you only get to pick one game with Nvidia tho ;)

Unless you buy two... but I'm lpoking at only building mini itx or micro atx. So it's only going to be one or the other.

The safe bet is to go with MKX now and Batman later with the GPU.

I just got around to playing REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR today.

This game is legit, you guys.

I have an odd relationship with shmups because I'm not that great at them. I don't always manage to complete all of the highest regarded ones. The best just feel awesome to play, though.

This game has a silly name but the triggers (if on a controller) rotate the screen around the action. This lets you turn a screen full of bullets into a single line and then use a laser to blast the bullets apart for points. It sounds like a gimmick but it's a lot of fun and provides a really interesting challenge and a one of the most fun and unique scoring systems I've seen.

The rotation mechanic is also important because you auto-kill items and enemies that are in the background, which you can only see/target if you are rotated a certain way. There are sections where you have to keep your screen facing "forward" to destroy obstacles in the way, while balancing the need to rotate to survive enemy shots.

I think there may be 4 levels with bosses. I'm not sure because I have only managed to beat the stage 3 boss in the single mission mode. I'm definitely going back though, and I recommend it strongly to shmupGAF.

p.s. I swear I'll try Crimzon Clover next.

JaseC

A little over a week until WB's window to oppose Night Dive's NOLF trademarks is up. I can't imagine that WB will have much luck getting another extension -- come the final day it'll have had three months to get its stuff together, so surely at this point it has to either put up or shut up.

Monooboe

Thanks for the input everyone! Think I will begin with removing most of the games in my wishlist and ask myself which ones would I actually play right this moment if I could and none of those "looks interesting might want to try it".

Grief.exe

Case in point for quality vsync implementations is Wolfenstein. I couldn't get borderless windowed to function properly on that title and had to use their default vsync, it was so bad at times I thought I was running the game at <60 FPS.

The last three games I have played have all had some type of borderless windowed option, Dark Souls, Shadow of Mordor, and MGSV and have all been very smooth. Which is probably the reason I noticed just how bumpy Wolfenstein's implementation ended up being.

With that said, I am very much eyeing some of the 1440p IPS panels out of CES with 120/144 Hz and Gsync/Freesync.

A little over a week until WB's window to oppose Night Dive's NOLF trademarks is up. I can't imagine that WB will have much luck getting another extension -- come the final day it'll have had three months to get its stuff together, so surely at this point it has to either put up or shut up.

Fingers crossed.

Jawmuncher

I wonder who would have the right to trespasser Jurassic park? That was by dream works interactive. Seems like something anyone could ask universal now to release it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Memories of Celceta was the shit.
I couldn't put it down when I played it.
Hope the rumor of that hitting pc happens.

Only Ys game I have played though. Don't think I'll ever bother with 1&2. Felghana and Orgins I'll probably get around to.

Maybe I should skip Dino Crisis 1&2 and go right to Dino Crisis 3 right?

Miguel81

This is true, and luckily I have a high tolerance for games from that period(childhood), so this one was easy to adjust to. The visual/aural bump in Chronicles+ brings it more in line with the SNES/PSOne era of action RPGs. They're very much worth a playthrough -- so damn charming, with a fantastic soundtrack.

Do I gaf?
http://i.imgur.com/pZkNSML.png[img]
Do I?
Do I?!
DO I DO IT?!!?!

Sometimes I hate having discovered cheaper alternatives =_=[/QUOTE]

Get Life is Strange and wait for a (hopefully lower) Nuuvem price on REmake. IMO, of course.

bigzgod

Do I gaf?
pZkNSML.png

Do I?
Do I?!
DO I DO IT?!!?!

Sometimes I hate having discovered cheaper alternatives =_=

You should. Unless they do a separate discount, which I'm iffy about, the BR prices for those two games aren't really different from GMG's VIP pricing.

Resident Evil will be 40 reals and Life is Strange Complete will be 33.3 reals. With direct conversion rates, that's $15.02 and $12.50 respectively but since Paypal always use favorable rates, I expect it will be very close to the total GMG price of $28.84 for the both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom