• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LISA -- MB-CE69FBED9C60CDA7 - Taken by Maniac. 86 entrants total.

t1421089071z1.png

Tizoc

You should. Unless they do a separate discount, which I'm iffy about, the BR prices for those two games aren't really different from GMG's VIP pricing.

Resident Evil will be 40 reals and Life is Strange Complete will be 33.3 reals. With direct conversion rates, that's $15.02 and $12.50 respectively but since Paypal always use favorable rates, I expect it will be very close to the total GMG price of $28.84 for the both.

...and that's the straw that broke the camel's back.
*Enters CC number into GMG payment*

Jawmuncher

Maybe I should skip Dino Crisis 1&2 and go right to Dino Crisis 3 right?

Hey man that's not fair. The gens Ys 1&2 were made are a huge jump to the other 2. While all the DC stuff fits together aside from visuals.
That battle system in 1 is my biggest obstacle.
I still have nightmares of getting wrecked by the very first enemy.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hey man that's not fair. The gens Ys 1&2 were made are a huge jump to the other 2. While all the DC stuff fits together aside from visuals.

Ys 1 after the combat clicks it isnt much of a hassle. I havent touched 2 yet since I dropped 1 for something else around that time but I wasn't struggling with it.

It is a very fun show. Loved the ending.
Love that sort of twist but don't wanna say anything for those who haven't. We need a new animatronics based show.

That ending
world-without-wb-dawsons-creek.gif

Tizoc

...and done, hope Life is Strange will deliver =3

yO JAWMUNCHer, I recently finished watching Dinsey's Dinosaurs series. Overall great show, major issue for me was consistency and continuity, but it was a fun romp.
Dat ending doe...

Jawmuncher

Ys 1 after the combat clicks it isnt much of a hassle. I havent touched 2 yet since I dropped 1 for something else around that time but I wasn't struggling with it.
I might give it a go again. Since I heard that more than once. Also isn't it actually short for a jrpg anyway?
...and done, hope Life is Strange will deliver =3
yO JAWMUNCHer, I recently finished watching Dinsey's Dinosaurs series. Overall great show, major issue for me was consistency and continuity, but it was a fun romp.
Dat ending doe...
It is a very fun show. Loved the ending.
Love that sort of twist but don't wanna say anything for those who haven't. We need a new animatronics based show.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of RE, going by the Xbox One achievements they should be a whole lot better than what RE4 offered. 44 in total with a combination of natural progression, completionist and challenge based chievos.

2 takes the whole labyrinthine dungeons thing to 11 and basically becomes Bump & Maze RPG.

Luckily, Oath was a terrific game and helped to renew my interest in the series.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I might give it a go again. Since I heard that more than once. Also isn't it actually short for a jrpg anyway?

Short but sweet. Remember when trying to fight enemies to not to go straight at them but a side. Also you might need to grind a few levels with regular enemies to actually inflict damage on the fuckers that I think that are annoying you which you can avoid and continue moving forward anyways.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of RE, going by the Xbox One achievements they should be a whole lot better than what RE4 offered. 44 in total with a combination of natural progression, completionist and challenge based chievos.

They're pretty hard for anyone who isn't die hard Old school RE. I'm not gonna bother with them. I suck at old school RE even though I like them still.

Jawmuncher

It might be best not to start on Nightmare. Ys I is a tough one on that setting, and the final boss is insane.
Don't worry.
I play my games on easy to normal these days. I don't think I've ever touched a rpg of any kind on a high difficulty.

Short but sweet. Remember when trying to fight enemies to not to go straight at them but a side. Also you might need to grind a few levels with regular enemies to actually inflict damage on the fuckers that I think that are annoying you which you can avoid and continue moving forward anyways.

Thanks. Will keep this in mind.

Tizoc

I was gonna use this NSFW image but decided against it and went with the usual

conan-110916-02.jpeg

Crom welcomes you
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg
header.jpg

header.jpg
header.jpg

May's Mysteries: The Secret of Dragonville -- MB-9573D423A9D8FC61 - Taken by Loptous. 8 entrants total.
Richard & Alice -- MB-A581822591E1B62F - Taken by Chreznor. 6 entrants total.
Ys Origin -- MB-7AA36604A01926A6 - Taken by Kiru. 45 entrants total.
Speedball 2 HD -- MB-54415AE756A578AD - Taken by Purkake4. 4 entrants total.
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee -- MB-8E7403C2DC7B5CCA - Taken by Feel_The_Pain. 7 entrants total.
Blast Em! -- MB-BD644C45ACF08A3C - Taken by HBP. 1 entrants total.
The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition -- MB-3ED2AFD831CD4CDF - Taken by suppadoopa. 60 entrants total.
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux -- MB-B67AE633948ABE0B - Taken by TheTrain. 5 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Montague's Mount -- MB-F9C5A41B8C56E39D - Taken by Sendou. 3 entrants total.
Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-C1AF27A8B00876B7 - Taken by drakaenae. 45 entrants total.
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition -- MB-9EE65B6D1E46468A - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-3DF38F314378FED3 - Taken by xxracerxx. 22 entrants total.

t1421097100z1.png

Adventis

Wow, just suddenly got locked out of Steam Marketplace for no apparent reason.

Tells me some bullshit about how I've recently funded my Steam Wallet using an unverified credit card that has seen a recent increase in use --- yet it's the same card I always use and have been using for over a year. Never encountered this in all my 6 years on Steam.

Tried to resolve the situation and 'verify my funds' with their test but the stupid values are posted in an alternate currency and they want me to enter the exact amount in USD, smh. Guess now I'm stuck with the lock until the 18th..... >___>

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've come to a similar decision myself with this year's New Year's resolution about purchasing games this year. I've got over 2,600 games in my Steam library in addition to a few thousand other games for various systems (PS4 all the way back to Atari 2600). So it's not like I'm going to be hurting for things to play.

I'm in a bit of a financial mess in that I wasn't able to find a suitable replacement job last summer and decided to just "stick it out" with my current employer. I found a nice new house to rent and for the most part things are "okay". My daughter will start college in the fall and we would like to stay in the same area at least until 2018 when my son graduates from high school.

The problem is that my health insurance is absolutely terrible. Last year I paid out over $10,000 in out of pocket medical expenses. I anticipate paying at least this much again this year. As a subtle way of saying "Sorry we fucked up your health insurance", my employer gave everyone a $2,000 "bonus" last year to help with those expenses. Well I just found out that this year we'll be getting no such bonus.

So of course when push comes to shove, gaming expenses are something that come on the chopping block first. It's hard passing up some of these bundles. "Indie Gala has a bundle with Five Nights at Freddies 2 and a few other games I don't already have?" Usually I'd purchase that on auto-pilot. Now I pause and reflect and think to myself "I haven't even played the original Five Nights at Freddies" and realize that my $1.89 might be better off saved.

Like many of you, there are a few games I won't be able to resist this year. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD comes out in March and I pre-ordered it months ago. There are talks of Final Fantasy XV
(and possibly even Kingdom Hearts 3)
being released in 2015 as well. Both are also already pre-ordered and eagerly anticipated. Lightning Returns is coming to PC soon, and I've been playing my way through the trilogy and have been loving it, so I'm sure I'll be picking this up when it's released. Majora's Mask I can probably skip (since I have the N64 version) but I probably won't be able to resist a new Legend of Zelda Wii U game.

I think this year I'll be focusing most of my gaming dollars towards games I intend on playing immediately. And since I already have so many games in my various backlogs, the small amount of money I will be spending on gaming is going to be on the stuff I'm really excited to play. I know that means my Steam profile will get left behind in the "people who own the most games on Steam" list, and I'm coming to terms with that. Even at 2,600 games I've already fallen from around spot 100 to around spot 150. I also realize there will be some bundles with some games that won't get bundled again, and I'm coming to terms with that realization too. The positive side of things is that if/when my financial situation improves, the cheap games and things will probably still be available, and bundles with repeat games will have a better ratio of games I don't own.

Lastly I'd like to point out that Enhanced Steam is perfectly okay, thanks in no small part to people who have donated and continue to donate through Patreon. In fact, at present there is about $30 extra a month coming in after all of the expenses are paid, and I'm putting this extra money towards server time for the upcoming Summer sale. So a huge "thank you" again to those who have donated. I'm not sure if my wife would be entirely understanding if I explained to her that I had a $200/month server bill if that expense was still coming out of my own pocket. Patreon supporters are literally keeping the lights on so you guys are the real heroes.

Sorry for the rant / rambling post.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm glad Ys Origin is successful on Steam (~200k sold). I'm really happy that Falcom is talking about it :) Don't forget about us in the future, thanks.

The most important thing here, too, is that the game will keep selling. It still hasn't sold to everyone it can yet.

Imagine the number sold when it goes below 5 dollars. This is the real benefit to porting to PC for companies.

Tizoc

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Odd. Thought steam would keep that around for the big dogs if they wanted to use it.

I think the problem is that a lot of bundle sites that aren't using that system (Bundle Stars, Flying Bundle, Blink, etc) wanted to use the system and were reaching out to Valve requesting access on a regular basis and weren't getting anywhere. My own attempts were also in vein.

I'm honestly not surprised to see Valve drop support for it, since it was never really fleshed out as a feature. The people working on this sort of thing at Valve seem really great at creating features, but at the same time seem really averse to improving them.

I think the problem is that a lot of bundle sites that aren't using that system (Bundle Stars, Flying Bundle, Blink, etc) wanted to use the system and were reaching out to Valve requesting access on a regular basis and weren't getting anywhere. My own attempts were also in vein.

I'm honestly not surprised to see Valve drop support for it, since it was never really fleshed out as a feature. The people working on this sort of thing at Valve seem really great at creating features, but at the same time seem really averse to improving them.

I assume they still can't decide if they are a game developer/publisher or a digital distribution company.

jshackles

you pretty much just described the entirety of Volvo ;)

I think so, and I'm pretty certain it's an unfortunately by-product of their corporate structure. Everyone is given free reign to work on what they want to, and evaluated on their performance or "value added" to the company each year. Nobody there sees much value in improving already existing features beyond what is absolutely required, and thus they don't have a jshackles saying "We can make this better".

Knurek

I wonder if this is a precursor to Valve finally taking a leaf out of Desura's book and offering key redemption via the Steam website. It'd certainly explain, in part, the sudden interest in ReCaptcha integration.

Who's the girl in your avatar?
Has Saoirse lost her greatest fan?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Gift #2 -- MB-349D0E2002E5045F - Taken by derExperte
Mystery Gift -- MB-50D644CDA5DCB8FB - Taken by Mavromatis

Lomax

"This feature we created requires extra work, so we're getting rid of it." They really think they can get to a point where Steam is self sustaining and requires no additional effort at all, don't they? Blows my mind.

You guys are right... I would be doing myself a disservice by denying good games... so skip out on bundles thats just +1 games?

Silly though it may seem, I try to evaluate every bundle for games I think I may actually play, and very rarely buy things only for +1s. Of course I get a lot of +1s along the way, but I've also gotten a ton of bundle games that ended up being really fun (currently playing Super Panda Adventures which is outstanding). But I very rarely spend over $2 on bundles and only when there's games I really feel are strongly worth it. To me, it only feels special to have over 1k games when I can still feel like I'd actually play most of them given the time, if I knew a large portion of them were nothing but a number, it wouldn't mean as much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom