• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I think so, and I'm pretty certain it's an unfortunately by-product of their corporate structure. Everyone is given free reign to work on what they want to, and evaluated on their performance or "value added" to the company each year. Nobody there sees much value in improving already existing features beyond what is absolutely required, and thus they don't have a jshackles saying "We can make this better".

... and that's why we all love you, man :) haha

Backlogger

I always assumed the OAuth and account linking features to redeem keys was brought on by some kind of pressure (from whom I'm not sure) to curb key reselling/gifting so I am surprised to see it go. That means I am either wrong about that, or I am right but they found it wasn't effective enough to be worth the hassle. On one hand it was nice redeeming Steam games from computers where I didn't have Steam installed (ie: work), but on the other hand I like the freedom to do what I want with the keys.

It sure would be nice if Steam allowed you to check keys without redeeming them.

That would be awesome. I could see people finding ways to abuse that. It would for sure need some kind of "are you a human being" check

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That's a bit of a shame. They added the ability to gift keys pretty quickly and once that happened, I preferred the new Humble system. Guess I'll just go back to my old spreadsheet for tracking redemptions.

FloatOn

Memories of Celceta was the shit.
I couldn't put it down when I played it.
Hope the rumor of that hitting pc happens.

Only Ys game I have played though. Don't think I'll ever bother with 1&2. Felghana and Orgins I'll probably get around to.

I did 1 and 2 back to back last year and they are old school as fuck but super endearing. Once you get over the stupid bumping combat and overlook the dungeon mazes you'll find a great game that arguably tops the original legend of zelda.

autoduelist

not true, to avoid dying in DS you need to know what's awaiting you, if you don't know, you can still avoid by getting lucky and moving the way to avoid spotted. If you get lucky and learn required skills in LLTQ you don't die the first time too, or you learn what awaits you and avoid it second time. There is no difference.

OK, you are not complaining, you still are blaming a game and a game is not to blame. ;)

This is a rather odd argument. First off, the bolded is simply untrue. I've never played LLTQ (though it sounds great) but you're making it out to seem like all games are created equal when it comes to luck vs. skill vs. experience, and that simply isn't true.

Dark Souls deaths can be mitigated to a great degree by slow and cautious play. See burn marks on the ground? Put on flame resistance armor, slow your roll, and keep your eyes and ears open. Corner? Shield up. Narrow hallway? Switch to a shorter weapon. All of these tips are straightforward and make sense even without experience in this specific game. Does experience and learning play a role? Certainly.

Dark Souls should clearly be on the side of 'situational awareness is critical', not on the 'you're dead if you haven't seen an area before'. You're going to learn from death in all games; and diverting the issue to that is misleading when the actual question should be - does the game provide you enough information to avoid death?

A complex example of this might be the unidentified potions in Nethack, some are great some are terrible. To the uninitiated, it can seem almost random and randomly quaffing them will eventually kill you. However, potions are actually carefully designed and you can learn to safely identify potions through careful testing (usually throwing, not quaffing, to see how they affect enemies), taking notes, and process of elimination so that you never drink poison/etc -- once you've identified the dangerous ones, you can then safely quaff and identify the safe ones. That is, the game provides all the information you need to know your potions, if only you have the knowledge to figure it out.

Compare this to, say, Binding of Isaac (which I love) where the only way to identify pills is to pop them (or possibly have the chance to buy PhD). It's clearly different design. To be fair, I'm not complaining about BoI -- they mitigate this inability to discern potions by making the bad ones 'not very bad' and so popping pills is recommended. However, the reason I do use BoI as an example is as a counter example to Nethack -- in one game, you can, with knowledge, figure out what potions are before quaffing, in the other, it's always going to be 'random chance' the first time.

In the same way, DS provides enough info to identify dangerous situations.

In general, good design provides players a way to go into a new(ish) situation with enough information to not have to blindly guess (some blind guesses in extreme circumstances are fine, but as a general rule they shouldn't be overdone).

I have no idea if LLTQ is such a game. If there is a skill called 'poison resistance', then I'd probably agree with you that a savvy player should be able to determine that there is poison in the game and that they may need the skill.

But imagine a game where in the first room, you could either gain poison resistance or stoning resistance.. and in the second room, you randomly either got stoned or poisoned, giving you a 50% chance of having had picked the right thing in room 1. That is bad design, as no amount of game knowledge will help you. This is an extreme example, though plenty of games are guilty of bad design of this nature (never so obvious, but often just as 'blind').

Acting as if all games are 'equal' in terms of 'blind deaths' is just incorrect. Again, I have no idea if LLTQ is guilty as charged. My guess is I probably agree with you on LLTQ since you claim repeated play will equip you to avoid such deaths. But if there's no clear indication you're suddenly going to get poison chocolates, and thus no clear reason to spend points on poison resistance instead of, say, death ray resistance, then again, chance plays a greater role.

fallout

I think so, and I'm pretty certain it's an unfortunately by-product of their corporate structure. Everyone is given free reign to work on what they want to, and evaluated on their performance or "value added" to the company each year. Nobody there sees much value in improving already existing features beyond what is absolutely required, and thus they don't have a jshackles saying "We can make this better".
I think you're possibly reducing the problem too much. At my job, I typically have some control over what my team works on next. Sometimes that involves improving existing functionality, sometimes it involves adding new functionality. In any case, I still have to show that it's "value added" and I usually try to use data to back that up. We're not in a flat corporate structure, but we may as well be in that instance.

It sure would be nice if Steam allowed you to check keys without redeeming them.

And I assume there is a slight chance that somebody with the api key or whatever you hold to access this system lost their keys and someone somewhere did exactly what you wish. But that would take a really quick reaction from Valve and I know that Valve's reactions are slow.

Yeah, Origin allowing you to see what you're activating before you confirm the registration of a key is a rather neat feature.

That's because Origin is great!

derExperte

And I assume there is a slight chance that somebody with the api key or whatever you hold to access this system lost their keys and someone somewhere did exactly what you wish. But that would take a really quick reaction from Valve and I know that Valve's reactions are slow.

Hey, since you won the other mystery game, did your link/key work? Mine goes to an Indiegala profile but there's nothing there.

Dr Dogg

Well shit seeing that Humble Bundle news above I thought I'd check what keys I still have kicking about in the wild and turns out that I've got about 50 odd and some stuff I forgot to redeem on my account. It doesn't count as a 2015 purchase alright!

This is going to break isthereanydeal and all the other sites too, right?

Why is that?

Also IndieGala said nothing yet but I assume their functionality will die too.

Maybe this is about bundlers turning into stores and with the automated redeeming views of steam store page has fallen?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think you're possibly reducing the problem too much. At my job, I typically have some control over what my team works on next. Sometimes that involves improving existing functionality, sometimes it involves adding new functionality. In any case, I still have to show that it's "value added" and I usually try to use data to back that up. We're not in a flat corporate structure, but we may as well be in that instance.

I'm basing my statements off of a few things: A) opinions and insights from ex-Valve employees, B) my understanding of the "Valve corporate culture" as expressed by those currently working at Valve, and C) my own first hand look at how things are laid out in their offices.

Yes I agree that "they don't see value in improving things" is a gross over-simplification, but it's not exactly inaccurate.

Let's say that at your job you decide that the next thing you're going to do is improve some existing functionality in whatever your company's "main program" is. You justify it by explaining the value you've added to your customers, just like you normally do. The week after that project is completed, out of the blue, you're fired. Your team is told that it's because they didn't like your performance on your last project. Now - is your team (and whoever is running it now) likely to continue on as normal, deciding to make another improvement to existing functionality?

To my understanding, this sort of scenario happens quite often at Valve. The people that work there are perpetually innovating because that's rewarded. People who go against the status quo there are often terminated unexpectedly.

No more Steam Oauth, no more account linking.

As best I can tell, they're only removing the ability to redeem keys to other accounts by linking them to Steam. The basic Oauth ("Sign in with Steam") should still work for places like isthereanydeal.com and Enhanced Steam. Until we hear otherwise.

Hey, since you won the other mystery game, did your link/key work? Mine goes to an Indiegala profile but there's nothing there.

It took a while to figure out but it did, check under:
WipEORIbufbm.png

Why is that?

Maybe this is about bundlers turning into stores and with the automated redeeming views of steam store page has fallen?

I wonder what would happen if steam disable the key system, locking everyone in their store. Do they have enough traction at the moment to pull that off will people simply stop using it and stores turn towards whatever drm/dd scheme publisher want?

I did, there's nothing even after clicking on the headlines.

Maybe you got the empty box?
Joke aside I don't have any idea, what do you have?

Lomax

Acting as if all games are 'equal' in terms of 'blind deaths' is just incorrect. Again, I have no idea if LLTQ is guilty as charged. My guess is I probably agree with you on LLTQ since you claim repeated play will equip you to avoid such deaths. But if there's no clear indication you're suddenly going to get poison chocolates, and thus no clear reason to spend points on poison resistance instead of, say, death ray resistance, then again, chance plays a greater role.

Part of the fun of LLTQ is dying, and most of the achievements are for finding the different deaths. "Beating" it isn't really all that hard once you figure out a few things, but beating it in different ways could be. But if you don't enjoy the death process, you won't enjoy the game. In that respect the comparison to Eryi's Action is correct, as death in that game is an integral part of the game. But while I found dying in LLTQ entertaining, and whenever I go back to it, it's as much to find new deaths as anything, I just found the dying in Eryi's Action frustrating and annoying, and only amusing when my girlfriend was watching me get tortured. I wouldn't expect either game to appeal to everyone, but I'd think more people would like LLTQ because the game doesn't act like it hates you.

Not only that, but I'd have no faith at all in IndieGala transitioning back without major issues, so I'd strongly recommend redeeming everything anyone has on IndieGala asap.

madjoki

As best I can tell, they're only removing the ability to redeem keys to other accounts by linking them to Steam. The basic Oauth ("Sign in with Steam") should still work for places like isthereanydeal.com and Enhanced Steam. Until we hear otherwise.

Isn't that based on OpenID, thought?

HoosTrax

Spring (or Winter...) cleaning...
ModBot said:
Instructions for HoosTrax:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-4FFDB455B7C5245D - Taken by thereisnoif. 4 entrants total.
Eldritch -- MB-DB54B4D2EAC6C1BD - Taken by Pranay_. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
GRID 2 -- MB-D31DF26A4DAEAC94 - Taken by maty. 8 entrants total.
The Bridge -- MB-90A06F5CF6AB7AE1 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.
Stacking -- MB-97365F18A26AFCC8 - Taken by Blu(e). 2 entrants total.
Q.U.B.E. -- MB-FAD35636B512C055 - Taken by Madn. 4 entrants total.
Little Dew -- MB-A241BCDDF4E77F39 - Taken by Mr. Doop. 4 entrants total.
Gunpoint -- MB-D042DE348E2B1233 - Taken by Pestilence11. 1 entrants total.
SteamWorld Dig -- MB-16D262AF7FEC2666 - Taken by mrks. 2 entrants total.
Paranautical Activity -- MB-1F458FD939F60161 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 1 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-8B7DECD1D911FC8D - Taken by titch. 1 entrants total.
Risk of Rain -- MB-E85AFB3DD260B95C - Taken by Sch1sm. 1 entrants total.
Symphony -- MB-625A4BE519548735 - Taken by Bayonetta. 1 entrants total.
GRID -- MB-204519F4FF291013 - Taken by Speevy. 2 entrants total.
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy -- MB-2963ADCF3BE2DFD5 - Taken by Panda Rin. 2 entrants total.
Frozen Synapse -- MB-466CBD7DBC14D1FE - Taken by electroflame. 3 entrants total.
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack -- MB-24D74F2CED56995B - Taken by Lomax. 1 entrants total.

t1421090429z1.png

Khronico

Alright, since I finished RE6 and MGR my Steam backlog is down to:

1. Child of Light (Booted up and messed around with the settings)
2. Marvel Super Heroes (Played up to the 4th level)
3. The Last Remnant (Dipped my toe in to try the combat system, was very confused)
4. MMX Legacy (Haven't even started yet)
5. Shadowrun Dragonfall DC (Finished the intro sequence)
6. Baldurs Gate EE (Lost my 5 hour save file when my old computer died, have to restart)

Can't decide what I want to fully commit to.

Anyone have any advice as to what I should play through next?

Backlogger

Some extras:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Backlogger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Total War: ROME II Caesar in Gaul Campaign Pack (THIS IS DLC ONLY!) -- MB-A96E284BA52501EE

Space Trader: Merchant Marine -- MB-6DF4C848E56BE85B - Taken by TheMadMan007
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-ABA012F0473B410D - Taken by 7Sins
Steel & Steam -- MB-FFD269032C4187D3 - Taken by lindarasta

Jawmuncher

Alright, since I finished RE6 and MGR my Steam backlog is down to:

1. Child of Light (Booted up and messed around with the settings)
2. Marvel Super Heroes (Played up to the 4th level)
3. The Last Remnant (Dipped my toe in to try the combat system, was very confused)
4. MMX Legacy (Haven't even started yet)
5. Shadowrun Dragonfall DC (Finished the intro sequence)
6. Baldurs Gate EE (Lost my 5 hour save file when my old computer died, have to restart)

Can't decide what I want to fully commit to.

Anyone have any advice as to what I should play through next?
Looks like whatever you pick you're gonna be in it for the long haul.

Pudge

As someone with a huge pile of unredeemed extras on Humble and IndieGala, I would hope that Valve issues some sort of warning before turning off the game redemption functionality altogether. I'm fine with keeping track of keys the old fashioned way, I just don't want games that I purchased to just go up in smoke.

Miguel81

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dante81, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition -- MB-1CAA03710FA71B69 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 20 entrants total.
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition #2 -- MB-605D6BF85B677D9B - Taken by Copons. 7 entrants total.

t1421100522z1.png

Hope the winners enjoy this journey!

Locust

As someone with a huge pile of unredeemed extras on Humble and IndieGala, I would hope that Valve issues some sort of warning before turning off the game redemption functionality altogether. I'm fine with keeping track of keys the old fashioned way, I just don't want games that I purchased to just go up in smoke.

The sites still have actual keys, they just activate them for you.

So, while that won't be a problem, finding unused keys from Indie Gala site once the oauth redemption goes will surely be a pain in the arse.

fallout

I'm basing my statements off of a few things: A) opinions and insights from ex-Valve employees, B) my understanding of the "Valve corporate culture" as expressed by those currently working at Valve, and C) my own first hand look at how things are laid out in their offices.
That's fair. I don't doubt that you have more insight into this than I do. I just hear a lot of things about Valve that happen elsewhere, but it gets blamed on the corporate culture.

Let's say that at your job you decide that the next thing you're going to do is improve some existing functionality in whatever your company's "main program" is. You justify it by explaining the value you've added to your customers, just like you normally do. The week after that project is completed, out of the blue, you're fired. Your team is told that it's because they didn't like your performance on your last project. Now - is your team (and whoever is running it now) likely to continue on as normal, deciding to make another improvement to existing functionality?
That would be rather unfortunate. Lack of communication in that regard is a real failing of any organization. Of course, I've heard this complaint from a lot of other places without flat structures.

One thing I didn't talk about in my last post was how things get prioritized. In software development (and likely elsewhere), Your Bug/Feature/Project becomes the most important thing in the world and you can't possibly see how it wouldn't provide the greatest value to the customer. Trying to prioritize without letting that cloud your judgment is difficult. I've been bit by this and learned hard from it. Sometimes, Your Bug/Feature/Project really is the best thing to be working on, but you need to back it up somehow.

If people aren't given the chance to do so at Valve, then yeah, that sucks.

Pudge

The sites still have actual keys, they just activate them for you.

So, while that won't be a problem, finding unused keys from Indie Gala site once the oauth redemption goes will surely be a pain in the arse.

OH. OK that makes more sense. Silly me.

Thankfully I've been keeping my own records for Indie Gala and every other site just for quick reference, so I imagine it wont be much of a problem.

Lomax

Both sites should be able to transition back to keys seamlessly, and just provide keys for the older games. That said, I have full faith Humble Bundle will do so, but I have little faith IndieGala will do so without any major issues. But we shall see. But from Valve's end, it should be a non-issue, which is why I doubt you'll hear anything about it (just like we never heard anything from them when the system was first introduced).

That's fair. I don't doubt that you have more insight into this than I do. I just hear a lot of things about Valve that happen elsewhere, but it gets blamed on the corporate culture.

That would be rather unfortunate. Lack of communication in that regard is a real failing of any organization. Of course, I've heard this complaint from a lot of other places without flat structures.

One thing I didn't talk about in my last post was how things get prioritized. In software development (and likely elsewhere), Your Bug/Feature/Project becomes the most important thing in the world and you can't possibly see how it wouldn't provide the greatest value to the customer. Trying to prioritize without letting that cloud your judgment is difficult. I've been bit by this and learned hard from it. Sometimes, Your Bug/Feature/Project really is the best thing to be working on, but you need to back it up somehow.

If people aren't given the chance to do so at Valve, then yeah, that sucks.

I'd say also the problem is, there's no one at Valve saying "you have to go work on this boring feature that will improve QoL for our customers" so people develop fun new things and then no one forces them to iterate on them or even complete them, so we end up with tons of things like trading cards that have lots of potential but just whither on the vine once people lose interest and move on to the next thing.

Oh, I preordered my one and only game on steam this year, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell. I knew if I didn't buy it the $20 in my steam wallet would have been sucked up by Marvel Heroes or some game on sale I wouldn't play for a few years.

Jawmuncher

I have a bad habit of buying extremely lengthy RPGs under the pretense of 'this will last me a really long time' and then proceeding to realize I don't have enough time to play them -_-

I did the same thing on PSN when namco had a sale.
Tales of Xilia
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia 2
And Ni No Kuni

That's like a years worth of games alone

Indeed, an open structure is great for skunkworks operations, since it encourages new ideas from every direction, but it can be problematic for iterative projects due to the lower potential glory to be had. It's such a nagging issue, it almost feels like Valve will eventually approach an inflection point where they either restructure the company into two systems (open structure for skunkworks division, traditional structure for iterative projects) or try to add more incentives to pursue iterative projects.

It reminds me of the PSP Homebrew Scene: the developer of a PSP N64 emulator mentioned that one of the most common forms of criticism he received was along the lines of "Why waste your time on an obviously impossible task like emulating the N64 on a PSP? The SNES emulator out there still has problems, work on fixing that instead!" His response? A working N64 emulator for PSP was largely uncharted territory, and if successful, it would be noticed by everyone in the scene. By comparison, very few people would notice or care if he spent the same amount of time and effort improving the existing SNES emulator's performance by 5-10%. In that way, the incentives in the homebrew scene were tilted in favor of new projects, not on improving the projects that were already out there and were considered "good enough" for most uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom