• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
VC2 I still think was better.

*thrown out window for unpopular opinion*

UYHJkzM.gif

Rand6

Alright, since I finished RE6 and MGR my Steam backlog is down to:

1. Child of Light (Booted up and messed around with the settings)
2. Marvel Super Heroes (Played up to the 4th level)
3. The Last Remnant (Dipped my toe in to try the combat system, was very confused)
4. MMX Legacy (Haven't even started yet)
5. Shadowrun Dragonfall DC (Finished the intro sequence)
6. Baldurs Gate EE (Lost my 5 hour save file when my old computer died, have to restart)

Can't decide what I want to fully commit to.

Anyone have any advice as to what I should play through next?

Only 6 games in your backlog??
And you should try Child of Light (short and fun) ;)

Grief.exe

Just realized we have some cool performance increases coming relatively soon.

PCIe 4
Skylake from Intel
Proliferation of DDR4 (almost negligible performance increase, but still cool)
GPU dieshrinks
Consumer SSDs moving to the PCIe lanes

Just realized we have some cool performance increases coming need more money relatively soon.

PCIe 4
Skylake from Intel
GPU dieshrinks
I just bought this machine, stop improving stuff.

HoosTrax

PCIe 4
Skylake from Intel
GPU dieshrinks
Community-side convinced me that I should look forward to the reversible USB C connector.

Khronico

I did the same thing on PSN when namco had a sale.
Tales of Xilia
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia 2
And Ni No Kuni

That's like a years worth of games alone

I used to tear through RPGs back in the day but now I get intimidated by the time sink.

Which is really hypocritical of me to say since I spend most of my time in MP shooters which are the definition of a time sink.

You should really play Xillia though, it's super good.

Jawmuncher

I used to tear through RPGs back in the day but now I get intimidated by the time sink.

Which is really hypocritical of me to say since I spend most of my time in MP shooters which are the definition of a time sink.

You should really play Xillia though, it's super good.

If Consoles had suspend features I'd be all over it. Kinda wish PC did as well. All we can do is leave the game Alt+Tabbed. Cutting out all the start up stuff helps out a lot in jrpgs.

Lomax

PCIe 4
Skylake from Intel
GPU dieshrinks

I wish I could have done my video card upgrade instead of having to replace my CPU/motherboard so that I could have taken advantage of more of these down the road, but alas, it wasn't to be. Maybe the next generation of video cards will truly be a big step forward (I doubt it, but one can hope).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Indeed, an open structure is great for skunkworks operations, since it encourages new ideas from every direction, but it can be problematic for iterative projects due to the lower potential glory to be had. It's such a nagging issue, it almost feels like Valve will eventually approach an inflection point where they either restructure the company into two systems (open structure for skunkworks division, traditional structure for iterative projects) or try to add more incentives to pursue iterative projects.

That may be true, to an extent, but how many of us would cry tears of joy if Valve updated their Android app, even if only giving it the functionality that iOS users have had for almost 2 years now? Even more so if they added new features that everyone expects are the logical progression of the app, such as watching other user's live streams.

Someone else mentioned trading cards, and that's absolutely spot on. So much wasted potential. But at the end of the day, Valve is a company and one that likes to make money. While it could be argued that improving trading cards (or the Android app, or anything really) might engage the customers more and encourage them to make additional purchases, it's difficult to quantify this in any way that the higher-ups at Valve have found meaningful. Why improve the desirability of trading cards by adding a mini-game, when you can simply add the ability to craft items into gems which improves the company's bottom line without having to worry about things like game mechanics or cheaters?

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but there's definitely glory to be had in improving and iterating. And hopefully one day Valve will realize that too. And when they do, they'll know where to find me.

Tizoc

For the new page

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg
header.jpg

header.jpg
header.jpg

May's Mysteries: The Secret of Dragonville -- MB-9573D423A9D8FC61 - Taken by Loptous. 8 entrants total.
Richard & Alice -- MB-A581822591E1B62F - Taken by Chreznor. 6 entrants total.
Ys Origin -- MB-7AA36604A01926A6 - Taken by Kiru. 45 entrants total.
Speedball 2 HD -- MB-54415AE756A578AD - Taken by Purkake4. 4 entrants total.
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee -- MB-8E7403C2DC7B5CCA - Taken by Feel_The_Pain. 7 entrants total.
Blast Em! -- MB-BD644C45ACF08A3C - Taken by HBP. 1 entrants total.
The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition -- MB-3ED2AFD831CD4CDF - Taken by suppadoopa. 60 entrants total.
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux -- MB-B67AE633948ABE0B - Taken by TheTrain. 5 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Montague's Mount -- MB-F9C5A41B8C56E39D - Taken by Sendou. 3 entrants total.
Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-C1AF27A8B00876B7 - Taken by drakaenae. 45 entrants total.
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition -- MB-9EE65B6D1E46468A - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-3DF38F314378FED3 - Taken by xxracerxx. 22 entrants total.

t1421097100z1.png

That may be true, to an extent, but how many of us would cry tears of joy if Valve updated their Android app, even if only giving it the functionality that iOS users have had for almost 2 years now? Even more so if they added new features that everyone expects are the logical progression of the app, such as watching other user's live streams.

Someone else mentioned trading cards, and that's absolutely spot on. So much wasted potential. But at the end of the day, Valve is a company and one that likes to make money. While it could be argued that improving trading cards (or the Android app, or anything really) might engage the customers more and encourage them to make additional purchases, it's difficult to quantify this in any way that the higher-ups at Valve have found meaningful. Why improve the desirability of trading cards by adding a mini-game, when you can simply add the ability to craft items into gems which improves the company's bottom line without having to worry about things like game mechanics or cheaters?

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but there's definitely glory to be had in improving and iterating. And hopefully one day Valve will realize that too. And when they do, they'll know where to find me.

Didn't Valve have a revenue increase of 75% in '13 alone? Yeah, when Gabe and other higher-ups are looking at the numbers, they're probably like "looking good!", so why improve these things? And this also goes for their structure and games. Some former employees might had a not so good time there and they're vocal about it, but when business is going so well, why should Valve care?

Backlogger

PCIe 4
Skylake from Intel
GPU dieshrinks

I'm still rocking an overclocked Ivy Bridge i5. I think the upgrade I would most like to make during 2015 is to upgrade my 560ti to a new, beefier GPU

Lomax

A part of me wants Microsoft to announce GFWL 2.0 with Windows 10, in some hope that maybe Valve will see it as serious enough competition to devote real resources to Steam development and customer service. I do think the pullback of Steam integration from pubs like Telltale and Rockstar and the fact that EA and Ubisoft still cling to their own platforms means something.

Knurek

I do think the pullback of Steam integration from pubs like Telltale and Rockstar and the fact that EA and Ubisoft still cling to their own platforms means something.

It means those publishers are greedy and can eat some lost sales not to pay Valve 30% cut.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A part of me wants Microsoft to announce GFWL 2.0 with Windows 10, in some hope that maybe Valve will see it as serious enough competition to devote real resources to Steam development and customer service. I do think the pullback of Steam integration from pubs like Telltale and Rockstar and the fact that EA and Ubisoft still cling to their own platforms means something.

Telltale and R* are polar opposites: the former stopped handing out Steam keys to all third-party retailers bar Humble and the latter stopped handing out GameShield keys to all third-party retailers bar GamersGate. Even jshacks will tell you that Steam's business team is actually one of Valve's better departments.

Kiru

It means those publishers are greedy and can eat some lost sales not to pay Valve 30% cut.

Yeah. They still have to pay the platform holder on consoles their cut, but it seems on PC they can live with a few less sales and still be better off with their own client. Less cost intensive than developing and selling your own console.

Lomax

But it also means that they don't see Steam integration as vital enough to sales to include. But with Telltale and Rockstar, it also means they have actually stepped away from Steam integration, which means they didn't see direct benefit from using it when they did. And to me that is arguably very damning of Steam as a platform.

Telltale and R* are polar opposites: the former stopped handing out Steam keys to all third-party retailers bar Humble and the latter stopped handing out GameShield keys to all third-party retailers bar GamersGate. Even jshacks will tell you that Steam's business team is actually one of Valve's better departments.

I'm including Rockstar because of GTAV.

Edit - granted, GTAV may be an exception because of how big it is, but it still seems odd to me that the last few Rockstar releases were Steam and now this one isn't.

fallout

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but there's definitely glory to be had in improving and iterating.
You're not alone and thinking that you might be alone in this thinking is rather cynical. Most devs take pride in their work and want to see it done right and done well. Unfortunately, adding new features vs. fixing bugs is a battle you'll find many software development houses in. Unless they've been really fortunate, just about any developer you talk to will have a story about debating with management about letting them rewrite and improve a lacking part of the product.

I guarantee you that the math on that is something people working inside of EA are not allowed to do. No way they are making enough on Origin to make up for the losses of not being on Steam.

Grief.exe

I was under the impression Max Payne 3 was fully Steamworks including retail. If that's no different then I'm definitely wrong about it being a change.

Max Payne 3 wasn't Steamworks. The Steam version used Steamworks features, but retail copies did not activate on Steam.

The reason Amazon had Steam keys is due to Tony's tenaciousness more than anything.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was under the impression Max Payne 3 was fully Steamworks including retail. If that's no different then I'm definitely wrong about it being a change.

Retail copies use GameShield, same as LA Noire before it, but R* did later give digital retailers Steam keys, which is what kicked off what you see today with every third-party DD retailer that isn't GamersGate offering Steam keys for literally all of R*'s games (Manhunt 2 aside, of course). R*'s 180 is why I'll be surprised if it still sticks with GameShield for physical retail copies of GTAV.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
trying to link indiegala with steam and steam keeps giving me a "invalid client_id" error, any clue?

PCIe 4
Skylake from Intel
GPU dieshrinks
All those are actually the reason why I am holding off with getting a new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom