• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really enjoying Dear Esther just now but then my sound shit the bed.

You're a monster.
This is the reason your PC quit on you. :p

Where is the GAF GOTY voting(not steam)? I cant seem to find it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=kpbqUi1Rqsrd2utUduQWGw&bvm=bv.82001339,d.aWw

Whatever, man. Just blow your load. You'll regret not going a little bit better every time you power it on.

The only things to really worry about in terms of "blowing your load" is your gfx card and your CPU/motherboard. The rest is easily/cheaply upgraded. Start with 8gb ram? Upgrade to 16gb when you have more cash. Start with a 3TB steam drive? Upgrade and add another drive when you get more cash.

And as far as the CPU/mobo goes, one must consider overclocking... but outside of that, just get the best bang for your buck as long as you're not crippling anything with the choice. I did a ton of research when I selected my CPU and have been more than happy with the decision. My only regret so far is this geforce 770 (2gb).

So the major release of this month is GTAV right? But from what I read here and and in Rockstar forums, the game may have been delayed. So is it relevent to put it as a January release? Anyway I hope the pre-order won't start just two days before release just like Ground Zeroes.

famfrit

So the major release of this month is GTV right? But from I read here and and in rockstar forums the game may have been delayed. So is it relevent to put it as a January release? ANyway I hope the pre-order won't start just two days before release just like Ground Zeroes.

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires release date is 30 of january in steam too, right ?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nekopara thread locked.

I don't know that we've come to any conclusion about whether or not the game can be discussed on GAF (I believe in the past we've disallowed discussion of "adult" games but allowed discussions of censored versions that got major platform releases--but I can't speak to whether that's a standard we'll have to revisit going forward). The thread was locked because of the necro-bump derail.

Grief.exe

But I already checked that out, and there's no such option.

So this is how my Wolfenstein: The New Order looks on Ultra, but there's a lot of aliasing. Is this the best it can look?

OYRpU7K.jpg

I wonder if you can try focing MSAA/MFAA through Nvidia Inspector for this game to clean up some of that Aliasing.

I just started Wolfenstein as well, so I may test that out a bit later.

Turfster

Bundlestars weekend deals:
  • Mortal Kombat Komplete 75% off
  • Batman Fruitbowl 75% off
  • Shadow of Murders 50% off (ends in 5 hours)

brassica

Hi SteamGAF, happy new year to you all!

I got a small problem, looks like it happened twice already.
I start downloading a game on Steam, and while waiting, I play another one. When I finish playing and exit te game, the download windows shows no downloading at all, as if it was paused, and it will suddenly start again. It looks like the download goes on pause when playing a game.
I looked at the options, and found one where you could download an update for a game while playing that same game, but I don't think that's it, and it was activated already.
What did I miss?

S1n1st3r

Banned
Hi SteamGAF, happy new year to you all!

I got a small problem, looks like it happened twice already.
I start downloading a game on Steam, and while waiting, I play another one. When I finish playing and exit te game, the download windows shows no downloading at all, as if it was paused, and it will suddenly start again. It looks like the download goes on pause when playing a game.
I looked at the options, and found one where you could download an update for a game while playing that same game, but I don't think that's it, and it was activated already.
What did I miss?

I'm pretty sure there is a check box for "allow downloads during gameplay".

gngf123

I don't know that we've come to any conclusion about whether or not the game can be discussed on GAF (I believe in the past we've disallowed discussion of "adult" games but allowed discussions of censored versions that got major platform releases--but I can't speak to whether that's a standard we'll have to revisit going forward). The thread was locked because of the necro-bump derail.

Which is completely fair.

My own problems with the game aside, I don't think discussion of the Steam version should be banned here. That's just me though.

Anteater

I wonder if you can try focing MSAA/MFAA through Nvidia Inspector for this game to clean up some of that Aliasing.

I just started Wolfenstein as well, so I may test that out a bit later.

there's a command line to enable msaa, it's a bit too demanding for my gpu so i don't use it

Spyware

What did I miss?
The option is "Allow downloads during gameplay". Sometimes it doesn't seem to want to do that anyway so I often alt-tab to check that it keeps downloading. If it's paused it's possible to start it up even if you keep playing (as long as the game was running when you resume the download).

Anteater

beat lost planet

last boss was bullshit

dude got like 2 guns shooting a dozen of lasers and what do i have, some clunky shit laser sword that doesn't seem to work half of the time

edit: Beat Phenomeno too, that was a nice read and it's free

Monooboe

Its a tough call.

I always have trouble reigning in my spending. I have yet to build a PC completely under budget.

I always tend to overspend.

Of course, you have to be able to buy the computer after all. I'm glad that I really went all in back in the day on my computer, the only thing I've changed the last 6 years is the graphicscard, several times and the computer is still up to task. Will probable upgrade everything soon:ish.

144hz and gsync IPS monitor!
Love my RoG Swift, but sigh. Suppose that's how it is with everything though, always something new around the corner. Exciting times for monitors! Just need a gsync'd ultrawide monitor. LG is putting out a freesync one.

Yeah very exciting times for monitors! I've realized though that I have impossible expectations on my future monitor, it has to be an ultrawide over 30", it has to have g-synch and be ips, 100% sRBG and at least 96% Adobe RGB and 4K. There is noway a monitor like that will ever be in a price range which I can afford.XD

My vision is bad and I prefer darkness to avoid straining my eyes.
image.php

:p
So, what do you guys think of this build?
i5 4690k
GTX 970
8 GB Ram
that your current one? if so, horrible trash.
send it my way to save on disposal costs and get yourself something nice.
;)
No difference really except that they're missing the integrated GPU.

Check the (German) benchmarks: http://www.computerbase.de/2014-05/intel-xeon-e3-1231-v3-nachfolger-1230-test/4/
that is very helpful. didn't know xeon cpus were good for gaming. value-wise it's better than a comparable i7 :O
looks like phawx did his research well.
Replacing a graphics card is much easier. That said if someone has to save up a few months for one it would be utterly pointless to buy everything else now. Better wait for Skylake.
i read skylake a couple times on gaf. what is so special about that?
i thought with 8 core i7 already here there is nothing big left on the near horizon.

ps: plz no lmgtfy frosty -_-
haha almost fell for it
If you don't vote for Nidhogg, you missed a great game last year.
it's local-mp only and i don't have anyone to play with me :(
i love what i have seen though. shame.

hopefully nidhogg, gang beats and narwhale all get online-mp added in.

Jawmuncher

Thread lock even when I said in the op that discussion should only pertain to the steam version. All because of a derail.
Regardless the necro bump wasn't needed and I was on the cusp of asking a mod to lock it anyway.

Thread lock even when I said in the op that discussion should only pertain to the steam version. RIP in peace Neko thread.

An "OT" (which it was, kinda) shouldn't be locked just because a single person derails it. I think deleting the posts and posting a warning would've been better there.
I guess it's okay since it was pretty inactive before though anyway.

Jawmuncher

An "OT" shouldn't be locked just because a single person derails it. I think deleting the posts and posting a warning would've been better there.

It's the teams call and I have talked to stump about it before where I got a lot of clarification. Since at the end even with a warning a lot of times people still push and it can be some time before a mod comes in and fixes it.

It's the teams call and I have talked to stump about it before where I got a lot of clarification. Since at the end even with a warning a lot of times people still push and it can be some time before a mod comes in and fixes it.

Yeah I understand. It's a touchy subject.

This will probably be SteamGAF GOTY 2015 (Warning: Anime): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fF6tqff1os#t=342

That doesn't look like Witcher 3.

I am wondering how he gets through an average day.

Everything is rainbows and sunshine.

Okay I was mostly checked out on a lot of stuff that happened the last month but there is a new trade restriction on games right? So if I wanted to get South Park for a friend, the ol' dispenser.tf is pretty much dead right?

the News thread might have more recent information, but the short answer is probably yes. Everything got locked down unless it comes from a pack.

bigzgod

The only things to really worry about in terms of "blowing your load" is your gfx card and your CPU/motherboard. The rest is easily/cheaply upgraded. Start with 8gb ram? Upgrade to 16gb when you have more cash. Start with a 3TB steam drive? Upgrade and add another drive when you get more cash.

And as far as the CPU/mobo goes, one must consider overclocking... but outside of that, just get the best bang for your buck as long as you're not crippling anything with the choice. I did a ton of research when I selected my CPU and have been more than happy with the decision. My only regret so far is this geforce 770 (2gb).

Agree with most of that but I'd also recommend starting off with an SSD. Even if you're only going to get a smaller one for budget reasons, like a 128 gb SSD, the OS loading times alone make it worth it. Any extra space you have left over for gaming is just an added bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom