• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

I just played a little bit of Unhack and it's a nice little puzzle game...

it's marketed as a Visual Novel with puzzle elements, but it is basically a puzzle game with dialogue cutscenes.

what does the term "visual novel" even mean?

I see this same thing with games like 99 Spirits or War of Human Tanks being referred to as VNs also, but those are RPGs are they not?

please enlighten me VNGaf

edit: how do I make it so I can play Bayo 2 or any other GOAT Wii U game and it appears as "in game" on steam and thus ppl can watch a stream at any time? is such a thing even possible?

Chariot

it's marketed as a Visual Novel with puzzle elements, but it is basically a puzzle game with dialogue cutscenes.

I see this same thing with games like Sakurai Spirits or War of Human Tanks being referred to as VNs also, but those are RPGs are they not?

Sakura Spirit is a pure Visual Novel no doubt. Only thing besides reading is one choice and loading saving.
War of the humans tanks on the other hand... I would almost say that that one has too much gameplay. But I haven't played much of it, so~

Jawmuncher

War of the humans tanks on the other hand... I would almost say that that one has too much gameplay. But I haven't played much of it, so~
xf1fnmwtxrh.gif
GTFO of here. If there's anything you need to be playing on your backlog it's that.
It's a good mix of cutscenes and gameplay when you stick to nothing extra. Would say it was pretty even. Never felt like one element over took the other. Gameplay is a lot of fun though and the route I did was amazing. Only thing I can really fault the game for was it's art style, but even that grew on me. Would have made a level 5 badge if there weren't so many cards. Also how can you not love this soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLclgj5uvZRWE7hkIBP02_lxlE-SfmyGX8
Personal Favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2kjMZZMyIM

I see this same thing with games like Sakurai Spirits or War of Human Tanks being referred to as VNs also, but those are RPGs are they not?

edit: how do I make it so I can play Bayo 2 or any other GOAT Wii U game and it appears as "in game" on steam and thus ppl can watch a stream at any time? is such a thing even possible?

If the "cutscenes" have the character dialog underneath it just kinda gets thrown in the VN pile. VN is one those things where it's a genre itself and also just a flavor to a game.

Sure, that's true. I just figured there was a reason why such streams didn't already exist given the popularity of these games.

Because if you want viewers, you don't use the Steam broadcast?

Finally have an avatar based on the best Pac-Man game ever made, which I just played via the power of Steam.

They made a Pac-Man Rollerjam game?

batbeg

So uh I've been playing Trails in the Sky and having a good time. I for some reason only recently realized I could connect my laptop to my television. Anyway, just as big picture mode does with Ys Oath in Felghana it tells me it only supports keyboard but my controller (Wii U Pro via mayflash adapter and xinput) works fine. Until today. My controller still works fine on big picture mode, still works fine in Ys, just doesn't register on TiTS anymore. I had changed the resolution to match my televisions as I'd had it wrong for my first 16 hours, but even when I restored default settings and restarting my laptop I'm still getting absolutely no input in the game.

Does anyone have any idea what's up?

So an update of me trying to fix this, I've tried a couple of googled solutions with no success. One thing I guess I failed to mention before is that when the game hits the title screen it autodirects my mouse to the load icon. It used to be I wouldn't even see a mouse cursor I think, it was always dependent on my game controller.

The two solutions I've seen so far are "very integrity of cache" and disabling steam overlay mode. Neither helped.

Edit: "fixed" this issue I guess I was being dumb and accidentally clicked off direct input and just never noticed the box while perusing the options.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Quest for Infamy -- MB-37AD1F0108495CE8 - Taken by Blu(e)
Five Nights at Freddy's 2 -- MB-E936EC988A0C40F3 - Taken by Akuosa
1Quest -- MB-B0A01EC06C0BD6CB - Taken by tebunker

Phawx

anyway, have anyone played GRAV? for some reason it remind me of a more exploration based version of Destiny.

I'll have an LP up sooner or later, but it's really rough right now. Game browser takes a minute to load, then it takes around 5~ minutes for the world to load after you've selected it. Erratic frame rate on my R9 290. Hit detection seems wonky.

It looks pretty though.

Ozium

Finally got OSTRICH ISLAND key from IndieRoyale... will be sure to check up on the first contender for this year's GOTY in a bit...

I'll have an LP up sooner or later, but it's really rough right now. Game browser takes a minute to load, then it takes around 5~ minutes for the world to load after you've selected it. Erratic frame rate on my R9 290. Hit detection seems wonky.

It looks pretty though.
oh shame. was really looking forward to that one.
still very interested in seeing the game in action on your video.
So this time tomorrow, ModBot will be a bit busy as I'm giving away a few games in another thread about backlogs. Feel free to take part if you want to, either to grab the games or to add your thoughts about the subject.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970106

Mostly all Steam games, a handful of Desura games.
woah. you're a real generous guy ken! damn, you got ruse there as well.

Ugh, I've beaten stage 3 of REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR a few times in a row by itself, but always lose on that stage when playing the stages in order, trying to unlock stage 4. It's the same thing, I don't get why it seems harder when it matters :p

Spares

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The Desolate Hope -- MB-96AF3028D883FA1E - Taken by Dimitri2401
1Quest -- MB-3AAE93DE620D0A02 - Taken by thereisnoif

Shadownet

Banned

It looks pretty though.
That's rough. Guess I should wait for some patches then. Thank you for the preview.

Ozium

That reminds me I have a copy of that game that I need to give to someone who actually wants it. I'll raffle it later when I have more stuff to give!

Heads up to anyone that wants the Ryo or Matel Sanic DLC they are again at their lowest price with 75% off this week.

Well, today is my birthday so here's what I have that I don't think is region locked, since Valve has decided that I can't gift new stuff to people who aren't from South America.
Probably everyone has those, but here's hoping someone will enjoy them.
If the gift things don't work PM me, I did the tutorial (thanks Grief!) but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kurt Russell, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BIT.TRIP RUNNER -- MB-8710B460155BA452 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 4 entrants total.
Serious Sam Classics: Revolution -- MB-945967A5AF234238 - Taken by Popstar. 7 entrants total.
Bit.Trip.Runner 2 -- MB-95A237778545BBA8 - Taken by mrks. 1 entrants total.

t1421127557z1.png

titch

Well, today is my birthday

Have a good one!!

Ive been lucky with the raffles so here's some stuff before i hit the hay!!!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (titch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Runes of Brennos -- MB-B7D6F309BE2B397F - Taken by Phawx. 4 entrants total.
Hunters of The Dead -- MB-795700CC18765732 - Taken by NingenJanai. 5 entrants total.
Mythos: The Beginning -- MB-232668F88D271572 - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.
9th Company: Roots Of Terror -- MB-63F9E9B715EEA5FD - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Theatre of The Absurd -- MB-8843A5E90D8D2CD2

t1421128315z1.png

Jawmuncher

Well, today is my birthday so here's what I have that I don't think is region locked, since Valve has decided that I can't gift new stuff to people who aren't from South America.
If the gift things don't work PM me, I did the tutorial (thanks Grief!) but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.

Happy Birthday
big-trouble-in-little-china-jack-burton.jpg

Happy birthday, Ronnie James Dio!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
This is apropos nothing, but I was saddened to realize the game Hawken has been dead since July last year. Hasn't received any updates since then and all it's website community features are offline, even the password recovery. Someone in the Steam forums said the game servers are only paid for until Q2 of this year, so if you ever thought about giving it a spin now would definitely be the time. There's stlll about 300-400 people playing at the moment, so finding a match shouldn't be too much of a chore.

Last time I played it, it was easily one of the prettiest games I've ever played and performed fantastically. Gameplay wise, it was a sprawling chaotic death match kind of thing.

It...It never even managed to make it out of Early Access and hit 1.0. ;_;

Jawmuncher

This is apropos nothing, but I was saddened to realize the game Hawken has been dead since July last year. Hasn't received any updates since then and all it's website community features are offline, even the password recovery. Someone in the Steam forums said the game servers are only paid for until Q2 of this year, so if you ever thought about giving it a spin now would definitely be the time. There's stlll about 300-400 people playing at the moment, so finding a match shouldn't be too much of a chore.

Last time I played it, it was easily one of the prettiest games I've ever played and performed fantastically. Gameplay wise, it was a sprawling chaotic death match kind of thing.

It...It never even managed to make it out of Early Access and hit 1.0. ;_;

Damn I was wondering about the state of that game.
Shame it went the way it did considering all the hype that was around it.
Remember they even had a movie deal at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom