• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

What in the...
ss_39707bb7c4a33a33ab47284b778e5d61e822a755.1920x1080.jpg

That's a blast from the past. Wonder why they decided on rereleasing this.

Watch_dawgs really giving me AC1 vibes. There's a decent shell of a game here, but it seems half baked. The main character is a selfish sociopath of an asshole who deserves no one's sympathy and, by my estimate, racked up hundreds of casualties because the shady shit he was involved in got his niece killed and his sister kidnapped. He's a fucking monster who i want to see killed before the game is over because the citizens of Chicago are in constant peril while he is free to roam.

besides that, it seems almost every mission ends in either a shootout or a getaway segment, and changing traffic lights or hacking blockers to come out stops being fun after the 3rd or 4th time.

I'll see this game to its end, but i have zero intentions of doing anything other than the campaign missions. The game is just enough over mediocre that i want to see how this all ends, even if the means aren't ever really well explained or justified.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have a similar situation to mine, involving having a significant other that has moderate to low interest in gaming.

My girlfriend doesn't play many games. She sometimes likes to watch me play a game, with varying levels of attention, depending on the game. She's watched games like Bioshock and Alien Isolation as if it were a movie, spectating a playthrough without being distracted by other things. If she's less interested, she'll half-watch while being on the computer or something.

That's cool and all, I like when she finds interest in a game and wants to watch it. It's just kind of hard to tell what games she may or may not enjoy, so I'm indecisive when deciding what game to play when she's not around, like if I have a day off, like today, as I'm sick. I'd rather play the one that she has no interest in, so that she can enjoy watching the interesting one later.

It's hard to tell though, as she's surprised me by liking games like Rogue Legacy, and really liked Legend of Grimrock.

In the same vein, there is now the additional option watching let's plays on youtube, which I've started seeing the appeal of more recently. I don't have time to play every game out there, but edited short and sweet almost summaries of a game are nice to experience when I otherwise would never see what the game has to offer.

And I just now realized that I'm just rambling.

Jawmuncher

Watch_dawgs really giving me AC1 vibes. There's a decent shell of a game here, but it seems half baked. The main character is a selfish sociopath of an asshole who deserves no one's sympathy and, by my estimate, racked up hundreds of casualties because the shady shit he was involved in got his niece killed and his sister kidnapped. He's a fucking monster who i want to see killed before the game is over because the citizens of Chicago are in constant peril while he is free to roam.

besides that, it seems almost ever mission ends in either a shootout or a getaway segment, and changing traffic lights or hack blockers to come out stops being fun after the 3rd or 4th time.

I'll see this game to its end, but i have zero intentions of doing anything other than the campaign missions. The game is just enough over mediocre that i want to see how this all ends, even if the means aren't ever really well explained or justified.

The ending actually gets into the character and how he is. Doubt it'll fix everything but with how I did it, it all made sense.
Hoping Watch Dogs 2 is the AssCreed 2 of the series without abandoning everything.

derFeef

I'm wondering if any of you guys have a similar situation to mine, involving having a significant other that has moderate to low interest in gaming.

My girlfriend doesn't play many games. She sometimes likes to watch me play a game, with varying levels of attention, depending on the game. She's watched games like Bioshock and Alien Isolation as if it were a movie, spectating a playthrough without being distracted by other things. If she's less interested, she'll half-watch while being on the computer or something.

That's cool and all, I like when she finds interest in a game and wants to watch it. It's just kind of hard to tell what games she may or may not enjoy, so I'm indecisive when deciding what game to play when she's not around, like if I have a day off, like today, as I'm sick. I'd rather play the one that she has no interest in, so that she can enjoy watching the interesting one later.

It's hard to tell though, as she's surprised me by liking games like Rogue Legacy, and really liked Legend of Grimrock.

In the same vein, there is now the additional option watching let's plays on youtube, which I've started seeing the appeal of more recently. I don't have time to play every game out there, but edited short and sweet almost summaries of a game are nice to experience when I otherwise would never see what the game has to offer.

Same situation for me, but my SO never watched me playing a game, it's just awkward for me somehow. Do you want her to play games with you?

Same situation for me, but my SO never watched me playing a game, it's just awkward for me somehow. Do you want her to play games with you?

I like it when she plays games with me, but the kinds of games she's interested in playing are pretty random seeming. She supposedly hated shooters, but then enjoyed Halo 3 and EDF co-op. But then she didn't like other Halo co-op because she didn't get to be the Arbiter, lol.

ExoSoul

Banned

That's cool and all, I like when she finds interest in a game and wants to watch it. It's just kind of hard to tell what games she may or may not enjoy.

With what I cropped yes, with the added effect of sometimes she really gets into a game so I try to show her something similar but different and she rejects it like the plague.

With what I cropped yes, with the added effect of sometimes she really gets into a game so I try to show her something similar but different and she rejects it like the plague.

Maybe similar is the issue, like a variety thing.

EDIT:

I also just realized that this discussion isn't super Steam-specific, until now. One thing that is a surefire way to get my girlfriend to hate a co-op game on console is if Player 1 gets achievements while Player 2 doesn't. We're not playing Chariot (on xbox one) because of that. However, she's played co-op games on steam where I guess the achievements don't matter as much, and it only unlocks cheevos on my account. Maybe I should buy Chariot on Steam now? lol

The ending actually gets into the character and how he is. Doubt it'll fix everything but with how I did it, it all made sense.
Hoping Watch Dogs 2 is the AssCreed 2 of the series without abandoning everything.

yeah, for all the shit Ubi gets for how their games have become so cookie cutter, watch dogs is trying to do some new things to distinguish itself from the far crys and asscreeds. The concept of a hacker in a gta-like setting is interesting, and once they design more & better missions around that it's going to flourish. but they really need to do something about the protagonist because this guy is terrible.

try playing stuff she may have grown up on, like 16 bit sidescrollers or mario kart. My fiance wasn't much of a game growing up but she's played more of Mario Kart 8 than i have and loved jumping into my gameplay sessions of Skyward Sword whenever she got bored of watching. She also loves games with interesting stories and decent cutscenes, so the telltale games and Naughty Dog's stuff has had some pull with her. Then there's stuff like the Jackbox where there are games for everyone to enjoy and participate in.

whatever you do, just dont force it on her. that never works and can build resentment between you two.

derFeef

I like it when she plays games with me, but the kinds of games she's interested in playing are pretty random seeming. She supposedly hated shooters, but then enjoyed Halo 3 and EDF co-op. But then she didn't like other Halo co-op because she didn't get to be the Arbiter, lol.

Well to me that sounds cool and fun already. Seems like when she is in the mood she might enjoy all kind of games. And yeah, just don't force it :)

Finished up Final Fantasy 13. Clocked in at 37 hours so far. Going to grid for a few of the achievements and then be done with it.

The story seemed to be a convoluted mess, but the ending was actually quite satisfying. On to Blacklist!

besides that, it seems almost every mission ends in either a shootout or a getaway segment, and changing traffic lights or hacking blockers to come out stops being fun after the 3rd or 4th time.

So by Watch Dogs : BroHo it should be solid.

Nice. Love PewDiePie.

Start your Idlemasters, Ys: Oath in Felghana and Ys II just got cards.

I noticed a few more Ys games got cards.

How late am I?

A little under two hours. So not too bad.

Copons said:
Yeah, but that's not a good thing, is it? :(

If the game is good, I won't mind. I haven't played this game before (although I remember pondering it in the Compucentre when I was a lad.) so I'd like to experience it. As long as it works, I couldn't care less if it used even the original graphics.

derExperte

Well shit, Firefox 35 is out and it crashes when going on a Steam game page with Enhanced Steam enabled. Anyone else with that problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom