• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassica

I'm pretty sure there is a check box for "allow downloads during gameplay".

The option is "Allow downloads during gameplay". Sometimes it doesn't seem to want to do that anyway so I often alt-tab to check that it keeps downloading. If it's paused it's possible to start it up even if you keep playing (as long as the game was running when you resume the download).

Well, unchecked, restarted Steam, checked, restarted Steam again, let's see if this works.

Sch1sm

Extras.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sch1sm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Stick it to the Man -- MB-7DB8088186043E18 - Taken by Bayonetta
White Noise Online -- MB-76F7113961B06A99 - Taken by jmizzal
Nostradamus -- MB-0326241685CAF2F6 - Taken by autoduelist
Amerzone -- MB-616F2A7EB205F660 - Taken by MikeHattsu
Return to Mysterious Island 2 -- MB-DCC5008117DAF452 - Taken by 7Sins
Heileen 2 -- MB-CEAC73CE3BABAE99 - Taken by trailmix16
Salammbo -- MB-D172AD636A7A10F8 - Taken by nickfrancis86

derExperte

i read skylake a couple times on gaf. what is so special about that?
i thought with 8 core i7 already here there is nothing big left on the near horizon.

The reasonably priced i7s have only 4 real core + Hyperthreading. Same goes for the Xeon I mentioned. The cheapest Intel cpu with 6 cores is the i7-5820K but the mainboards for it (plus DDR4) are more expensive, while Skylake hopefully will bring over four cores to the mainstream consumers (AMD already does but is slower overall).

autoduelist

Lol, didn't think Portal 2 failed tbh but those hat micro transactions where stupid.

Guess that means we will never see a Half life game again unless they adopt a telltale episodic approach to it, lol at the irony.

Never rule out mobile F2P.

Or perhaps we'll get it Duke Nukem style, 10 years late and still half baked.

How come the water in Dear Esther (a 2012 indie game) looks better and more realistic than the water in Far Cry 4 (a 2014 AAA game) at maxed Ultra settings?

I'm not smoking crack I swear.

How come the water in Dear Esther (a 2012 indie game) looks better and more realistic than the water in Far Cry 4 (a 2014 AAA game) at maxed Ultra settings?

The Far Cry devs spent the time/money they could've used on water on gameplay instead.

derExperte

Can you and huge computer controlled ships directly interact with Esther's water? There goes a lot of processing power.

Also only people who smoke crack mention that they don't smoke crack out of the blue.

The reasonably priced i7s have only 4 real core + Hyperthreading. Same goes for the Xeon I mentioned. The cheapest Intel cpu with 6 cores is the i7-5820K but the mainboards for it (plus DDR4) are more expensive, while Skylake hopefully will bring over four cores to the mainstream consumers (AMD already does but is slower overall).
yeah, the EE i7s with 6/8 are crazy expensive. that's why i was planning on getting an i7 - hopefully - for my pc this year.
but now you make me reconsider and wait for cheap 8-core i7s ><
i am on mobile hardware from '07. waited so long already, maybe i should hold out one year further. argh.

Cerity

I still think morrowind has some of the best looking water in videogames and that came out in 2002 ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Water

Repost, original ended up on bottom of page...
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Water, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cities in Motion 2 -- MB-493C34F4A6D8C28A - Taken by Jables Swan. 9 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate Edition -- MB-C79F7DF2F5BC57E6 - Taken by roadrunn3r. 3 entrants total.

t1420316576z1.png

Parsnip

Finished Rooms: The Main Building.

It's neat little sliding puzzle game with a bunch of different mechanics to manipulate the pieces that add nice complexity to the puzzles. I also enjoyed the soundtrack. The visuals are a bit grungy and it doesn't help that its resolution support is a bit lacking.

Looking forward to the sequel.

Also, looked through GTX970 variants, and there doesn't seem to be a card with 2 HDMI outs? Is that not a common thing? Hum.

Phawx

yeah, the EE i7s with 6/8 are crazy expensive. that's why i was planning on getting an i7 - hopefully - for my pc this year.
but now you make me reconsider and wait for cheap 8-core i7s ><
i am on mobile hardware from '07. waited so long already, maybe i should hold out one year further. argh.

You should wait for DDR4/PCIe4 right now DDR3 prices are high and are only going to get higher (if you follow typical trends on ram pricing).

So not only are you looking at getting higher single threaded IPC, you'd most likely get better/faster/capacity RAM at better prices.

If you can wait, I would.

Also, looked through GTX970 variants, and there doesn't seem to be a card with 2 HDMI outs? Is that not a common thing? Hum.

I would suspect that the reason you don't see dual HDMI is that the manufacturer most likely has to pay twice the licensing for the port.

I don't know, just speculating.

Chariot

Finished NekoPara. It was really short, I wonder how much longer I would've needed with sex scenes included. Due the nature of a kinetic novel it is also my second "perfect" game, without me needing to do anything tedious for it.

You can use a cheap passive adapter to convert DVI or DisplayPort to HDMI (you'll only get audio with DisplayPort, I think).

Finished NekoPara. It was really short, I wonder how much longer I would've needed with sex scenes included. Due the nature of a kinetic novel it is also my second "perfect" game, without me needing to do anything tedious for it.

Depends on how fast you
fap
;)

MQX

New thread? Alright :D
tumblr_mszlyuPQm41qzizmho1_250.gif

It looks like the Kickstarter for Fate Milestone One was sucessful enough to bring over the sequel!
MRxClH9zmwhK80VUgFdpxQVkWCd7imFb1aUgGmt73z83lzGlt1y7zRQat0r7JiXMAxwEfNatZK4SWotggGyJtllMLXf8lA8tX9YtMaGjgdYzh6DIJm7Km2hYhgphvfsLAiEUGl6eLJF69WaJIkSpIU9VHxTNFhjdF0rK=s0-d-e1-ft

I'm looking forward to it!
Sweet. Hopefully they''ll make a collection/bundle on steam ;P
Still have to buy the first game. But I'm waiting for a 50% discount :/

So.... This game gets the "Chariot Approves this" label?
;P

Pachimari

I wonder if you can try focing MSAA/MFAA through Nvidia Inspector for this game to clean up some of that Aliasing.

I just started Wolfenstein as well, so I may test that out a bit later.

You mean optimizing it through the GeForce Experience? I might try that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played about 10 minutes of Major Mayhem. It's clearly an iOS port. Basically it's a HOTD/Time Crisis style rail shooter, only with no time limit, and you're invincible if you're not shooting, and you can deflect enemy projectiles if you are shooting, and it's stupidly easy, and you almost never need to reload but if you do it's instant and again you're in no danger, and it's got flash graphics, and it's got the Jetpack Joyride style "mission" progression, and there are a ton of levels. It's clearly made for touch devices. I dunno. I don't see much to recommend here as a PC game.

dani_dc

Just two hours?
Was expecting double that time.

I guess I'd take a bit longer since I didn't play the demo.

If you haven't picked up the King Arthur Complete Pack on Steam and were interested in it ... well, don't. Get it off BundleStars for $4.99 instead, which includes everything the Steam bundle has.

Also, their Pioneer Bundle is full of some old games that Retroism ported over to newer operating systems. Might go for it for the Sid Meier games alone.

Momentary

Banned
You should wait for DDR4/PCIe4 right now DDR3 prices are high and are only going to get higher (if you follow typical trends on ram pricing).

So not only are you looking at getting higher single threaded IPC, you'd most likely get better/faster/capacity RAM at better prices.

If you can wait, I would.

I've been looking at that. DDR4 is lowering while DDR3 is getting higher. By no means is DDR4 plummeting in price, but DDR3 seems to be way more expensive than what it was a year ago. But aside from X99 boards, there doesn't seem to be anything else that supports DDR4 in the near future. Seems like the next step up from the 4790k will still go with DDR3. And it's slim pickings for someone like me who's looking for mini-ITX and Micro-ATX boards. There are some attractive X99 Micro-ATX boards, but 0 Mini-ITX. By the time I get ready I might still hop on the DDR3 train. X99 CPUs and DDR4 is still pricey. I might just say screw it when it when the time comes. Seems like there are some heavily CPU dependent games hitting the market and having a 5820K or 5930K might pay off in the long run for gaming.

autoduelist

If you haven't picked up the King Arthur Complete Pack on Steam and were interested in it ... well, don't. Get it off BundleStars for $4.99 instead, which includes everything the Steam bundle has.

Is King Arthur any good? I don't think it reviewed very well.

Don't know about 'official' reviews, but Steam reviews are pretty impressive imo. The basic consensus is that it's a well made Total War clone set in Arthurian legend.

If you need to render fire, smoke, and explosions while dealing with a dozen or more enemy and animal AI while also modeling bullet/grenade physics and destructible environments all while in an open world with a reasonable draw distance, you don't have the full processor to dedicate to being the prettiest thing ever. (Unless your definition of pretty expands to include stuff like brilliant explosions, of course).

Copons

Played about 10 minutes of Major Mayhem. It's clearly an iOS port. Basically it's a HOTD/Time Crisis style rail shooter, only with no time limit, and you're invincible if you're not shooting, and you can deflect enemy projectiles if you are shooting, and it's stupidly easy, and you almost never need to reload but if you do it's instant and again you're in no danger, and it's got flash graphics, and it's got the Jetpack Joyride style "mission" progression, and there are a ton of levels. It's clearly made for touch devices. I dunno. I don't see much to recommend here as a PC game.

It is precisely as you said.
And I found it a perfect game to play during a period when I felt a lot of playing/life fatigue and I needed some light and super easy stuff to clear my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom