• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jittering is what "Lock frame rate to refresh rate" is supposed to fix. Do you get jittering when you use in-game VSync without external programs like RadeonPro?

Yes. The last time I tried all of the options was Far Cry 3, which i know jittered on default vsync, radeon pro, and other programs. Maybe that game just had a jitter issue and I haven't tried radeonpro since, to be honest. I'll have to experiment.

shockdude

Yes. The last time I tried all of the options was Far Cry 3, which i know jittered on default vsync, radeon pro, and other programs. Maybe that game just had a jitter issue and I haven't tried radeonpro since, to be honest. I'll have to experiment.
Probably; Google turns up a lot of complaints about VSync jitter for Far Cry 3. RadeonPro's been great for the games I've tried.

Is Age of Wonders 3 just your standard visual upgrade of AoW SM with some gameplay tweaks, or is it a major gameplay upgrade/shift?

Overall, it is a similar game, but there have been some big changes and additions making their way into the game. The first expansion and the (upcoming) second xpac add entirely new mechanics to AoW3.

In the base game, the biggest change/addition is the distinction between city race and player class, which (on top of spell spheres) allows for distinct armies, structures, spells, and strategies even between the same races and, in some cases, classes. The other big change is how combat works: it is no longer possible to miss, instead damage is reduced, leading to less RNG-centric combat encounters. Oh, and AoW3 also largely adopted Civ5's magnificent UI, which is a big step forward from what it had previously.

So, I guess I'd say AoW3 is a big shift forward from AoW2SM, but not a radical one; it's much more iterative than experimental.

And yes, buy it!

Jawmuncher

I guess the delay shouldn't come as a...revelation...to anyone

I'll see myself out...lol

Keeping witht the RE theme
tumblr_m35cfiyd3a1qjvbspo1_400.gif

Beta update:

General

Fixed a crash preventing 64-bit Steamworks games from launching on older AMD processors

Broadcast

Show Live banner on desktop if desktop is being recorded
Always show Live banner in-game if privacy setting is set to “Anyone can watch my games”
Added option to completely disable Broadcast feature
Removed privacy setting “Only friends that I invite”
Added notification on game start if Broadcast setting allows for a broadcast to automatically start without broadcaster approval
Fixed broadcasts getting stuck immediately at “Loading…”

Broadcast & In-Home Streaming

Fixed OpenGL game render shrinking when recording

There is also a new option under the community drop down menu to go directly to broadcasts.

So I recently discovered that RadeonPro is magic.

VSync --> input lag.
VSync + Triple Buffering --> still has input lag, though better than without Triple Buffering.
No VSync --> no input lag, but tearing and weird frame timing.

VSync + Triple Buffering + RadeonPro "Lock frame rate to refresh rate" --> perfect 60FPS smoothness with zero input lag.

I've tested several games with and without RadeonPro, including Portal 2, L4D2, and Mirror's Edge, and RadeonPro has definitely removed input lag while maintaining a perfect VSynced 60FPS. It also smoothed out Sonic Racing Transformed.

IIRC RadeonPro works with all graphics cards (Intel/Nvidia/AMD), D3D9 & D3D11, and 32-bit & 64-bit games. In other words it should work with just about anything Direct3D.

Do you force the Vsync and Triple Buffering through RadeonPro, and choose "Vsync: Off" in the actual games?

H1Z1 Early Access will be out in 16 hours. Please don't let it be a payable early access like Landmark while both games are supposed to be F2P. -_-

Well I've got some bad news for you friend... it's $20 minimum to get in.

:(

Also why am I seeing 3 versions of Evolve with exorbitant prices? Which oen do we ahve if we pre-ordered the game before their appearance? I mean when someone did pre-order the game before seeing the 3 difefrent versions the ad was:" pre-order the game to get extra skins and monsters" and now the base version doesn't have those extras. Did we get fooled?

Edit: Reading discussions' HUB of the game: customers are ranting about the versions and the prices.

Off topic: Now Steam broadcast added the option to disable the broadcast, sth I wanted since its release.

shockdude

Do you force the Vsync and Triple Buffering through RadeonPro, and choose "Vsync: Off" in the actual games?
If the game has an in-game triple buffering option, then I use the in-game triple buffering and simply use "Lock frame rate" in RadeonPro.
For most other games, I disable in-game VSync and use RadeonPro to force VSync + Triple Buffering, along with "Lock frame rate". You can use in-game VSync and just use RadeonPro for triple buffering & lock framerate if you want.
Your mileage may vary per game. For example, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit works with Triple Buffering but has bad framerate drops with "Lock frame rate", probably since NFS has its own frame limiter.

Lomax

Got another Evolve Beta Steam Key in my email, figured someone might still need it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Evolve Beta -- MB-992E8EEA3DCF284D - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Beta Key if somehow someone still needs one

Lain

Only level 6-3 left for me to complete Hexcells Infinite but I still can't figure out where to even start on that level. Toughest level I've had to go through so far.

Really want to like Squirreltopia but its kinda janky in places. Some things trigger to easily, some things don't trigger all the time and for a game that is suppose to be like Super meat boy, it does not have anywhere near the hit detection. Still, kinda neat.

Anustart

Was in the middle of no death run in dark souls 2, knock on my door and my girlfriend refuses to answer it. You know what happened :(

Parsnip

I don't know if I'm going crackers but it runs better too. Although the level of detail transition distance hasn't improved the level of mips are much, much better and combined with the added layer of fog to hide some of it too it certainly looks more pleasing (the street lighting looks ace). Are Montpelier the mainly studio doing Victory as well? If so this bodes very well.

Victory is helmed by Ubi Quebec. They did The Tyranny of King Washington for AC3 and Freedom Cry for AssFlags. So it's in good hands.

I played a little bit of Dead Kings yesterday and it seemed like everything had chromatic aberration all of a sudden. :\

Also, another change on Dark Souls PTD password protected build. I guess they are testing that cross region option like the community manager mentioned.

Speaking of Dark Souls, well, Dark Souls 2.
http://bandainamcous.tumblr.com/post/108136899811/attention-dark-souls-ii-fans-a-free-update-will
That's a big list of changes that arrives on February 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom