• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

So I finished up Hatoful Boyfriend...

I still think that even we disregard
all "mystery" building route by route until the morbid final story, and a story itself, pudding endings would have made it worth anyway, angel's route is insane too, but it's not as hilarious and out of the blue like pudding ones, also bikers are not bad too, especially road warriors "ending"

zkylon

zkylewd
Started Alice: Madness Returns

For the third time, maybe this time I'll finish the game.

First time I played, I run into a elevator glitch. Since the game autosaved just after the glitch occured and it only has one save, I was borked.
Second time I played, I did it on my spare Pentium (when my main CPU fried) - game was simply unplayable with the amount of stutter texture streaming and decompression introduced on a 2 thread CPU.
So far reached Hatter's Domain, so still early in the game. It looks absolutely gorgeous, although there's still some stutter while streaming. Weird since I have a 4 thread CPU and am playing from a SSD... :\ Anyone knows how to make the game behave? I didn't change anything other than remove the 30fps lock and ticked the PhysX to medium...
i hated that game

so much padding...

Deques

Started Alice: Madness Returns

For the third time, maybe this time I'll finish the game.

First time I played, I run into a elevator glitch. Since the game autosaved just after the glitch occured and it only has one save, I was borked.
Second time I played, I did it on my spare Pentium (when my main CPU fried) - game was simply unplayable with the amount of stutter texture streaming and decompression introduced on a 2 thread CPU.
So far reached Hatter's Domain, so still early in the game. It looks absolutely gorgeous, although there's still some stutter while streaming. Weird since I have a 4 thread CPU and am playing from a SSD... :\ Anyone knows how to make the game behave? I didn't change anything other than remove the 30fps lock and ticked the PhysX to medium...

It's a good game, not great though. I find playing through the first world is enough. The game is repetitive and get's boring. The levels are way too big and uninspiring.

Arthea

meanwhile in Alphadia Genesis

I got the ship! I can now roam everywhere!
and immediately I got suspicious... isn't it too good to be true? too early? I don't deserve it yet?
yeah, it can land only in 3 places on the planet, being prototype and all that (><)

Knurek

meanwhile in Alphadia Genesis

I got the ship! I can now roam everywhere!
and immediately I got suspicious... isn't it too good to be true? too early? I don't deserve it yet?
yeah, it can land only in 3 places on the planet, being prototype and all that (><)

Look at FF3, you got the airship during the first 30 minutes of the game (only to lose it immediately afterwards). :)

Deques

It never really took off. 2013 had Tomb Raider, BioInf and F1 2013 while 2014 had Tropico 5 and F1 2014.

Defiance probably had the worst pre-order tier rewards

Pre-Purchase and Receive
Get access to the Beta when available on Steam!
3 day xp boost
Outlander outfit
In game title: Iron Demon
Steam Exclusive Weapon &#8220;Phoenix&#8221; sniper rifle
Red Dodge Challenger

Reward 1
Everything Above, Plus:
Steam Exclusive Title &#8220;Steam Powered&#8221;
+5 inventory slots
A-Tex Growler: Durable and reliable transportation in a no-nonsense package. The Petrahol super charged engine will give you a boost power when it&#8217;s most needed. This dark green camo patterned quad with heavy duty suspension is just what an Arkhunter needs to conquer the rough and hazardous terraformed terrain.

Reward 2
Everything Above, Plus:
Free Copy of Rift: Storm Legion
Already own it on Steam? Gift it to a friend.

Reward 3
Lock box
+5 additional inventory slots
7 day XP boost
Discount off the Season Pass
RM Nomad M4: The RM Nomad M4 model is not yet available on the open market, so this is your chance to acquire an exclusive, blue digi-camo version months in advance! With a powerful combination of high durability and speed, this heavy duty 4X4 will protect you both on and off road. Powered by a non-threaded, multi-combustion fuse tank, the Nomad gets you and your valuable ark tech where you need to be.
*Rewards will be backfilled once we reach the next level.

Look at FF3, you got the airship during the first 30 minutes of the game (only to lose it immediately afterwards). :)

But you get a ship almost right after

titch

i'm glad steam is down i don't even like STUPID hexcells ANYWAY

PSML

I've not even cleared the 100% the first part(of 3) on the first game yet just getting time to do a level here and there.

Really enjoying it, I love the fact there is always a next move that isn't a guess and I refuse to take a leap of faith or move on till I have perfected a level.

It's gonna take me ages to get through them but why speed up the enjoyment/brain squeeze.

Arthea

that's why I got suspicious in the first place! and this post was about how devs taught me over the years that if I get some cool transport means early in the game, it's not for my good, oh no

edited: how did it end like this? I explain my posts now?

Played a bit of Valiant Hearts, for a game that was about a world war, it sure is against killing, or any sort of direct confrontation. Gameplay is very weak so far.

Arthea

Played a bit of Valiant Hearts, for a game that was about a world war, it sure is against killing, or any sort of direct confrontation. Gameplay is very weak so far.

have you just said that a gameplay is very weak because of no killing?
I know you probably didn't, but it surely looks like it (><)

Lingitiz

So I've been basically off Steam since Divinity Original Sin hit for a few reasons, mostly not having access to my PC. What are the must play games that I've missed?

have you just said that a gameplay is very weak because of no killing?
I know you probably didn't, but it surely looks like it (><)
It's related. Not a lot of freedom was given to you, and you have to play it the way the game wanted you to play. Go to the baskets where items are stored, pick one up (you can only carry one at a time btw) and throw to either distract enemies, trigger level progression by throwing explosives in the right places or changing the environment so you could literally move forward.

Not very engaging to be honest, I hope it was just the first hour.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's related. Not a lot of freedom was given to you, and you have to play it the way the game wanted you to play. Go to the baskets where items are stored, pick one up and throw to either distract enemies, trigger level progression by throwing explosives in the right places or changing the environment so you could literally move forward.

It's not just the first hour. That's pretty much the entirety of the game's mechanics, minus a few mission specific segments.

Gameplay is definitely not one of its strong points.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's related. Not a lot of freedom was given to you, and you have to play it the way the game wanted you to play. Go to the baskets where items are stored, pick one up (you can only carry one at a time btw) and throw to either distract enemies, trigger level progression by throwing explosives in the right places or changing the environment so you could literally move forward.

valiant hearts is just a series of tedious non-puzzles, the gameplay in that game is very poor and very distracting from the actual good stuff.

like finding a screwdriver to unscrew a door or something isn't a puzzle. finding a bone to give a dog isn't a puzzle. there's no actual creative thinking or funny answers to your silly attempts, nothing. it's just shit, boring gameplay, and there's like a ton of it. it's insane that it took me 11 hours to beat a game so devoid of any sort of skill demand

what's worse is that i actually really enjoyed just walking around trying to find hidden stuff and then reading those history snippets. you know, like maybe this game should've just been a walking simulator if they were not gonna bother making actual puzzles?

rookiejet

2015-01-15_03-19-28.jpg

I was hoping they'd do something like this. It still hinges on people using the voting system correctly though ^^;

edit: yay, zkylon's back

madjoki

So we know that Tire 1 for GTA V Pre-Purchase rewards will be San Andreas (according SteamDB). OTher two Tires only contain GTA V so does that mean that we will get in-game items? Or R* didn't add those rewards yet?

Likely it's like Max Payne 3: they change/add them during pre-order, when revealed they switch to next tier. Previous tiers get next rewards too, so buy early get more.

Arthea

For people enjoying Hexcells, make sure to check also other great puzzle games on Steam:

list

I've included Puzzler World games because each of them has few dozen Link-A-Pix puzzles. And Link-A-Pix is IMO on par with Nonograms and Slitherlink. John Walker who put Hexcells on my map does agree.

link-a-pix are nice in Puzzle Worlds, that's true.

Also why did you omit some of the best puzzle games on steam? like Puzzle Quest, M&M Clash of Heroes, 10 000 000, Critter Crunch, Peggle, Triple Town, etc. Like not even single one of those is on your list.
Just curious, especially because you badmouthed PQ before! I smell agenda!
Not to mention, your list is void of Letter Quest and Lexica too. Not good enough?

Dr Dogg

Victory is helmed by Ubi Quebec. They did The Tyranny of King Washington for AC3 and Freedom Cry for AssFlags. So it's in good hands.

I played a little bit of Dead Kings yesterday and it seemed like everything had chromatic aberration all of a sudden. :\

Also, another change on Dark Souls PTD password protected build. I guess they are testing that cross region option like the community manager mentioned.

Speaking of Dark Souls, well, Dark Souls 2.
http://bandainamcous.tumblr.com/post/108136899811/attention-dark-souls-ii-fans-a-free-update-will
That's a big list of changes that arrives on February 5th.

Ah right thanks for the heads up. Ubisoft studios are like bloody franchises these days. Fingers crossed more will be revealed officially about Victory in the coming months, well once Rogue is out for PC I'd imagine so the marketing monkeys can all pull in the same direction.

Also that's a lot of Dark Souls 2 changes.

Ooooh now that is good news. Probably won't be on sale when the other LEGO games are at other retailers due to publishers but if somewhere like Amazon or GMG start selling Steam keys then at least if no sale happens voucher codes and credit are doable a lot easier then Steam.

Arthea

anybody plays QP Shooting here? Is it considered a hard game as bullet hells go?

edited: talking about hard, pacman DX time trial kills me... I tried probably five times now, in different stages and I just can't do it, it seems.

dex3108

Ah right thanks for the heads up. Ubisoft studios are like bloody franchises these days. Fingers crossed more will be revealed officially about Victory in the coming months, well once Rogue is out for PC I'd imagine so the marketing monkeys can all pull in the same direction.

I expect AC Victory news around March or early April. If they stay silent then it will be revealed on E3 like ACU.

zkylon

zkylewd
edit: yay, zkylon's back
:)

Victory is helmed by Ubi Quebec. They did The Tyranny of King Washington for AC3 and Freedom Cry for AssFlags. So it's in good hands.

I played a little bit of Dead Kings yesterday and it seemed like everything had chromatic aberration all of a sudden. :\

Also, another change on Dark Souls PTD password protected build. I guess they are testing that cross region option like the community manager mentioned.

Speaking of Dark Souls, well, Dark Souls 2.
http://bandainamcous.tumblr.com/post/108136899811/attention-dark-souls-ii-fans-a-free-update-will
That's a big list of changes that arrives on February 5th.
had missed this

interesting changes.

i love that you know get rewards for killing bellbros. also cheaper ivory armor sounds nice, maybe i'll bother farming it now

other changes look interesting, not sure what i think about the anti soul memory ring, but at least it's a new option.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well that was forced :D If we count that than AC Victory is already announced because they already acknowledged that exist after Kotaku leak.

I'd agree except that Unity got a trailer in addition to the announcement, so saying that the game wasn't unveiled until E3 doesn't strike me as correct.

Knurek

link-a-pix are nice in Puzzle Worlds, that's true.

Also why did you omit some of the best puzzle games on steam? like Puzzle Quest, M&M Clash of Heroes, 10 000 000, Critter Crunch, Peggle, Triple Town, etc. Like not even single one of those is on your list.
Just curious, especially because you badmouthed PQ before! I smell agenda!
Not to mention, your list is void of Letter Quest and Lexica too. Not good enough?

Can't link to something I have not played, sorry, no other agenda in place.
Match-3 games just aren't my thing. I still buy them religiously, but yea...
We should totally do a Steam Puzzle Game OT. I mean, last time a platform had such many good puzzle games was in the NDS era.

Arthea

Can't link to something I have not played, sorry, no other agenda in place.
Match-3 games just aren't my thing. I still buy them religiously, but yea...
We should totally do a Steam Puzzle Game OT. I mean, last time a platform had such many good puzzle games was in the NDS era.

you know, we actually should, considering how good year 2014 was for puzzle games, and those games usually are overlooked. But that's so much work!

I'm going to spoil the fuck out of this for you guys. I can see into the future:
pics

I chuckled, good work, Nabs

NEO0MJ

Someone here might want this. Might be a good chance to try it and decide if you want it while the GMG VIP offer is on.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NEO0MJ, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Evolve Beta -- MB-C74685D94639EB7A - Taken by Nightz

_hekk05

Banned
Might as well give it to someone without l4d

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Evolve closed beta -- MB-A59DD26810AC6339 - Taken by NingenJanai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom