• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should appear in your library after steam restart. If it didn't something went wrong. Start restarting again?

Yup, a restart added a "click here to install" text to the banner, and automagically added to my library as per usual.
I guess I jumped the gun when I saw the banner first go up, heh

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
well ... Call of Dodo just took a huge dump all over the "new releases" section ... oh joy

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I still think that even we disregard
all "mystery" building route by route until the morbid final story, and a story itself, pudding endings would have made it worth anyway, angel's route is insane too, but it's not as hilarious and out of the blue like pudding ones, also bikers are not bad too, especially road warriors "ending"
Yeah, Okosan and Anghel's endings were incredible. I liked Anghel's more though, because
fuck that doctor, killing me and shit when all I wanted to do was give him my loooove
. Bikers' ending wasn't bad, though I personally got sick of Azami because of the bike ride scene she always had on everyone's routes. It's a pain in the ass to get through if you forget to fast forward.

Valkrai

So how is Saint's Row 2 and 3? Considering the Ultimate Franchise Pack is $11 and includes everything except for Gat out of Hell

Parsnip

don't! It has very small portion of dlcs, I did this mistake, buy Saints Row IV Game of the Century Upgrade Pack!

I only want the dominatrix and Christmas dlc, couldn't care less about weapon pack this or costume pack that.

So how is Saint's Row 2 and 3? Considering the Ultimate Franchise Pack is $11 and includes everything except for Gat out of Hell

Saints 2 is probably one of the worst PC ports I have ever played, even after the various community fixes and patches.

Bigby

Third is awesome, it's Saints Row 4 without superpowers. I haven't played 2 but I heard it's pretty bad port.

Saints Row 2 has the best story off all SR games, but you need a mod to get it running properly on PC. Saints Row 3 is similar to SR4 (I'm assuming you played it) but a bit less crazy. I'd say buy the pack if you enjoy wacky open world games that don't take themselves seriously. Hours of fun to be had.

I'e only played 3 & 4, but weirdly enough 4 is like a swansong for the series in that they make a ton of call backs to events that took place in SR2 (maybe SR1?).

SR3 and SR4 take the games to batshit insane levels but they're kinda just goofy GTA knockoffs with not so great missions. My understanding is that SR1 and SR2 are much more series attempts at copying GTA and, depending on how you feel about that, are either the best games in the series or the worst.

Kiru

I only played SR2 yet, and I also beat it. Was pretty ok @ 35-40fps with "Gentlemen of the Row" mod. Fun Fact, that horrible Port of SR2 was done by CD Projekt.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Saints Row 2 is a terrible port so far as hardware capable performance goes--but I'm remembering that I played and beat it despite that, on below spec hardware. And probably had fun too. I remember firing the poop cannon, doing ragdoll insurance fraud, and doing rampages. It's a very surreal blend of absurdity and a kinda grim plot where dark gritty things happen. It's kinda...Garth Ennis-esque? That might be a somewhat generous description, but it's kinda in that neighborhood I think.

pahamrick

2 is a terrible port, even worse if you're running Windows 7. I couldn't get any of the weird speed up / slow down bugs fixed on 7 even after trying all the various fixes.

On Windows 8 with Gentlemen of the Row mod it worked really well for me.

well started my wolf among us playthrough and I really like the setting, i always apprciate a different take on classic fairy tales. :D episode 1 ending spoilers:
I saw Snow's death coming from a mile away, i didn't think it was gonna happen in the first episode though, I thought she would be safe for the first 2 eps and then she was definitely gonna die in one of the last 3 eps. also Faith's story. bruh, thats fucked up.
. I'll start ep 2 later today

Man, Steam customer service is really shit. I send them an angry mail about the holiday cards not being marketable a hour to early and they just answered me with a generic "we read your comment kthxbye"-message. It was also in german despite my message being in english.

Steam Support, you suck. Hard.

--Amazing, thank you! I hope I win.

I don't see how deactivating the cards an hour early was in Steam's interest, though. That's an hour of no card sales where they would be making cents on every sale. When the cards go away, they don't lose any money, right?

Parsnip

2 is a terrible port, even worse if you're running Windows 7. I couldn't get any of the weird speed up / slow down bugs fixed on 7 even after trying all the various fixes.

On Windows 8 with Gentlemen of the Row mod it worked really well for me.
I too played on Win7, and the speedup fix mod only made the game more unstable for me. The best solution for me personally was to overclock my cpu to 3.2GHz because that's what the x360 cpu is clocked at and that somehow fixed the speedup.
Oooooor if you have the vanilla version grab this instead.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/47503/

I only want the dominatrix and Christmas dlc, couldn't care less about weapon pack this or costume pack that.

:p

well started my wolf among us playthrough and I really like the setting, i always apprciate a different take on classic fairy tales. :D episode 1 ending spoilers:
I saw Snow's death coming from a mile away, i didn't think it was gonna happen in the first episode though, I thought she would be safe for the first 2 eps and then she was definitely gonna die in one of the last 3 eps. also Faith's story. bruh, thats fucked up.
. I'll start ep 2 later today

You're doing it the right way, playing them all in a short period of time. TWAU was a great experience, but i feel sorry for people who had to wait for months for a new episode. Episode 4 was not even an hour long and i think i would've sent Telltale a strongly worded letter if i had to wait a couple of months for episode 4 after that. The pacing of the series wasn't well suited for their episodic format, or they just did a terrible job with the pacing.

regardless, you should finish it in a week and tell us what you think about how it ends :p

Kiru

I too played on Win7, and the speedup fix mod only made the game more unstable for me. The best solution for me personally was to overclock my cpu to 3.2GHz because that's what the x360 cpu is clocked at and that somehow fixed the speedup.
Yeah I heard about that. It was so weirdly ported that you can't have your CPU clock faster than the X360 CPU. lol..
I played it on Win 8 with my 4790K @ 4.4 GHz + crappy GTS 250, no problems there with mod installed.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of Squenix (well someone did earlier) this was something I was pondering at lunch.

Final Fantasy VII - 4-7-2013
Final Fantasy VIII - 5-12-2013 (~5 months later)
Final Fantasy XIV - 18-2-2014 (~2 months later)
Final Fantasy III - 27-5-2014 (~2 months later)
Final Fantasy IV - 17-9-2014 (~4 months later)
Final Fantasy XIII - 9-10-2014 (~1 month later)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 11-12-2014 (~2 months later)
FFXIII Lightning Returns - Maybe mid Feb?
??? - Something in May-July?

Though I wouldn't expect anything big or cost prohibitive so maybe a mobile port again. I mean Christ there's still I, II, V, VI and IV The After Years which would be ripe to be farmed out to a small company as a porting job. Be interesting to see if SE keep up the stream of releases.

But think of the +1's!!!

Lomax

I'd say that's the best deal on Steam if you don't have any of them. And it's a no brainer if you plan on buying SRIV because if anything you can treat SR3 as if it is a massive expansion pack to SRIV.

If you like the customization aspects of the series, SR2 is the best, and SRIV is the worst (in terms of meaningful customization). The total amount of gameplay decreases in each successive release as well unfortunately.

Edit - woah, snagged one of those Squirreltopia keys 45 minutes late, you guys are slacking ;-)

Parsnip

Speaking of Squenix (well someone did earlier) this was something I was pondering at lunch.

Final Fantasy VII - 4-7-2013
Final Fantasy VIII - 5-12-2013 (~5 months later)
Final Fantasy XIV - 18-2-2014 (~2 months later)
Final Fantasy III - 27-5-2014 (~2 months later)
Final Fantasy IV - 17-9-2014 (~4 months later)
Final Fantasy XIII - 9-10-2014 (~1 month later)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 11-12-2014 (~2 months later)
FFXIII Lightning Returns - Maybe mid Feb?
??? - Something in May-July?

Though I wouldn't expect anything big or cost prohibitive so maybe a mobile port again. I mean Christ there's still I, II, V, VI and IV The After Years which would be ripe to be farmed out to a small company as a porting job. Be interesting to see if SE keep up the stream of releases.
They should do something other than FF. Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger are on iOS too and I would buy Mana in an instant if it came to Steam.

Or alternately do something other than iOS to PC ports. Terranigma would be rad. I always wonder what kind of effort it would take to actually port SNES games over, rather than emulate them or something.

Barbarian

I might try out Beyond Earth this weekend. I'll probably wait for a complete edition with the inevitable expansions before buying though.

The series peaked with SR2 imo. Shame the PC port is trash.

SR3 is fun but a step back in many ways, and the less said about SR4 the better.
Hoping that Volition is working on a new direction in the SR series.

Turfster

Humble Brawlers bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • FIST OF AWESOME
  • Reaper - Tale of a pale swordsman
  • Super Comboman: Don't Mash Edition
TIER 2: BTA
  • Ascendant
  • Fist of Jesus: Deluxe Edition
TIER 3: 8$
  • Double Dragon: Neon
  • Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

An-Det

Totally going to give Beyond Earth a shot this weekend. Nice that it ends on Monday at 1 pm instead of the usual Sunday at 1 like most free weekend games (why is that, anyway?), given the long weekend.

I've heard the SR2 port isn't great (played it on 360, so can't speak from experience), but 3 is perfectly fine on pc and both are fantastic games. For $11 it's a crazy deal.

I beat that too, the horrible thing was you need level up your rep in order to access next mission everytime. So I used infinite missile launcher to create panic and destroy stuff, because I'm not a side-quest dude in free roaming titles :D

Same, that's the big thing that I'm so glad they changed in SR3. I don't mind doing side missions, and most were fun in SR2, but having to grind them just to play the actual fun missions sucked. It was worse in SR1 since there wasn't as much side quest variety and few were fun, so it was at least much improved for 2.

You're doing it the right way, playing them all in a short period of time. TWAU was a great experience, but i feel sorry for people who had to wait for months for a new episode. Episode 4 was not even an hour long and i think i would've sent Telltale a strongly worded letter if i had to wait a couple of months for episode 4 after that. The pacing of the series wasn't well suited for their episodic format, or they just did a terrible job with the pacing.

regardless, you should finish it in a week and tell us what you think about how it ends :p

honestly none of telltale's game are fitted for the episodic crap they do imo. Takes months for 1 ep to come out and they're normally only 2 hours long give or take, lets not even talk about how they fuck over their early adopters by having a sale on the season pass before the damn thing is even completed, I don't even consider purchasing their games until its complete. Telltale is really bad at it, they never have a proper schedule for these things.

SR2 is my favourite but SR4 is pretty good I thought. Before playing SR4 I thought superhero powers would make the game feel repetitive, but it made it a lot more fun imo.

Lomax

I guess i'm in the minority in like sr4 considering it was my 2013 goty

SRIV was pretty universally loved here, it finished #8 in the SteamGaf top 10. My only real complaint about it was it was too short. I still rank SR2 above it because I love the customization stuff but the gameplay of SRIV was a blast. I'm still seriously considering pre-ordering Gat out of Hell.

honestly none of telltale's game are fitted for the episodic crap they do imo. Takes months for 1 ep to come out and they're normally only 2 hours long give or take, lets not even talk about how they fuck over their early adopters by having a sale on the season pass before the damn thing is even completed, I don't even consider purchasing their games until its complete. Telltale is really bad at it, they never have a proper schedule for these things.

It's sad that the only definition that Telltale does episodic "right" is that they manage to actually release all the episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom