• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

They should do something other than FF. Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger are on iOS too and I would buy Mana in an instant if it came to Steam.

Or alternately do something other than iOS to PC ports. Terranigma would be rad. I always wonder what kind of effort it would take to actually port SNES games over, rather than emulate them or something.

Considering us lowly Europeans got the cold should with Chrono Trigger on SNES I own 4 copies of it. Wii VC, DS, NA PSN and iOS, in fact it's my second most played game on my current 3DS only behind Fire Emblem Awakening. Yeah I think I'd crumble if it was released on Steam but the iOS version certainly isn't the best.

I'd imagine something like a Wolf 3D or Doom wouldn't be too hard (in fact Carmack talked about his iOS adventures and rewitting them in a Quakecon keynote) but something like a Final Fantasy, even a SNES one I'd imagine might be a lot trickier and time consuming. Though it's not that it hasn't been done but I'd imagine it's more of a question of money they'd want to commit.

Damn you Activate a Product on Steam window that freezes everything, we meet again!
New bundle and I already regret this. I assume bundles with more games will be rarer now.

Damn you Activate a Product on Steam window that freezes everything, we meet again!
New bundle and I already regret this. I assume bundles with more games will be rarer now.

I've found that clearing my computer's DNS cache seems to help with the freezing issue. You can just do (in Windows) "ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt. Sometimes it still freezes, but only for a split second instead of the usual minute or two. I don't know if that's really fixing it, but I feel like it does, even if it's just placebo effect.

HEYYYYY Evolve Beta tomorrow! Neat, looking forward to playing that :D hopefully i can play more than 2 games unlike last time.

that Reaper game in the HUmble Brawler bundle looks like a phone game... thats not a compliment just to be clear.

What is the closest game to Black Flags on Steam (that is not black flag)? Salt? I want an exploration game I guess but that has some reward

Arthea

I own Cities XL platinum, but my preoder bonus for XXL is not 50%, it's 20%. What's up with that? Anybody else has the same problem?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What is the closest game to Black Flags on Steam (that is not black flag)? Salt? I want an exploration game I guess but that has some reward

Salt is in a very early state, but exploration is its own reward as the crafting system plays a key role plus the pirate element is rather prominent -- you can find clues that point you to hidden treasure and pirates of all types are peppered about the world, so you're not exactly alone (the game actually won RPS' 2014 GOTY award for Best Exploration whereas I've only played a little of it and that was about two months ago). Raven's Cry is practically Black Flag with a fraction of the budget, but I'd wait for reviews.

Dr Dogg

Well that Naughty Dog U4 threat turned out exactly like I expected. Though I don't know if a faster update would sort out the series' aiming mechanics that have always felt like Nate is covered in treacle.

AC: Rogue very, very soon (well I hope). From my time with it I'd say it's definitely worth the wait if you liked the sailing and island exploration in Black Flag as there's quite a few more locations to visit and check the lists off.

pahamrick

AC: Rogue very, very soon (well I hope). From my time with it I'd say it's definitely worth the wait if you liked the sailing and island exploration in Black Flag as there's quite a few more locations to visit and check the lists off.

I've watched my nephew play Rogue off and on since he got it for Christmas, and it's really making the wait for the PC port hard.

I hope the performance will be similar to AC4 as I'm able to almost max it out at 30FPS.

Dr Dogg

I would have gone for "boredom simulator" instead.

I felt that way about Kingdoms of Amalur but that's because I was compelled to do every bloody quest in each and every area and there's fucking loads. By the time I had cleared the first 3 zones I didn't have a clue what the plot was about due to getting tangled up in helping out so many useless, silly Fae. But the way the leveling worked and how it locked down the areas mobs to your level from the first time you enter it you either did the quests there and then or not at all. I wish I picked not at all :(

I've watched my nephew play Rogue off and on since he got it for Christmas, and it's really making the wait for the PC port hard.

I hope the performance will be similar to AC4 as I'm able to almost max it out at 30FPS.

The main Sequence's are quite short and you can knock out the game in 4-5 hours easily but there's quite a fair amount of side content if you liked the exploration of Black Flag, side stuff of III and the Outpost clearings of Far Cry 3/4. One good thing about Rogue I found was its immediacy, right after the first mission you have your ship and one area you can freely explore and after the first sequence you're free to muck about to your heart's content.

Here, have my full impressions for Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold

The voices and dialogue: The game is fully voiced. Melissa K.'s voice actor does a passable job. The others, not so much. The voice actor for Dr. Julian has a cadence that would make William Shatner blush. He has these ridiculous pauses as if he was asked to record his dialogue three words at a time, only lengthen the last word each time to make it sound smoother.

The story: You play "Melissa K." (as with many hidden object games, you don't get a full name for the protagonist. Even her office door reads "Melissa K. Ph.D.",) an uppity British chick in a fedora in the year 1947. You receive a letter signed simply "The Queen" - were the developers this ignorant or were they implying King George VI was gay? You decide! - and it's off to Thailand (which was TOTALLY not Siam at the time. Don't you dare even suggest it!) to tutor "the young monk," except he goes missing. Your new job is to find the young monk. You're "assisted" by Deveij, your guide, who does little more than hand you documents from time to time, and your old professor, "Dr. Julian" who, once again, has no last name.

In the bonus chapter, you get to play Dr. Julian as he performs such tasks as "Look for Melissa" and "Project the signs of the Chinese zodiac in the sky in order to seduce Melissa." I seriously wish I was making that part up. But it does come with hilarious images of 40s-style advertisements proclaiming things like "What woman can resist the signs of the zodiac?" So at least there's SOME self-awareness...I may be giving the developers too much credit, but I'll assume it was meant to be played as absurd.

The story is pretty bad, mostly poorly acted, unquestionably poorly researched, and borders on racism but doesn't quite get there. So why can I still give it all a pass? Read on!

The puzzles and hidden object screens: Some of you may be out there thinking, "Bah, hidden object games are for casual scrubs, they're too easy." And, you know, for the large majority of them you'd be right. In most hidden object games, even if you play on expert, you can still get through it relatively easily. Playing this game on expert will kick your ass. The puzzles have varying difficulties and in some cases you finish one level of a puzzle and think "Whew! That was decently challenging!" only to discover there's an even harder level right after. The hidden object puzzles also get harder, in that on easier levels you may only be asked to match pictures as opposed to words. You'll be asked to click around the regular environment for items, and even that's not too easy - some are hidden in plain sight really close to the foreground, so what you think is a ledge might actually be a rock you can pick up. If ever there was a hidden object game that bordered on hardcore, this is it.

I usually let slide some puzzles as "adventure game logic" but I only found two that stretch even that. One is that you had to make a green banana look yellow in order for a monkey to take it (monkeys don't work that way!) and another is that you receive a strength bracelet that allows you to break open a gate of iron bars, but in the very next scene, "this door is boarded up with wood, I can't break it." Bitch, iron is stronger than wood! But still, this game had really satisfying puzzles - that you can even replay after you're done the main game, with bonus puzzles besides. Beat your best time and/or accuracy, get those extra bonus collectibles you missed, etc.

The graphics: The environments are surprisingly good. The areas take up more than the full screen, so you have to scroll around, at which point you notice the game uses parallax scrolling to great effect. At first I thought the areas were 3D, and I'd be in for something like Dual Destinies-level object seeking. Turns out it wasn't that good, but it's still a step up from most hidden object games. The character models can sometimes appear creepy, but they look better in the cutscenes.

The length: Keep in mind I didn't use hints, but...ELEVEN HOURS. That's including the bonus chapter and the bonus puzzles. If I used hints, I could probably shave several hours off that time, but it's still a good long time and close to full-length point-and-click adventure.

The verdict: This game will tax even the most savvy of hidden object fans. If you don't use hints you could be in for a hell of a time. In that regard, I liked it, and you probably will too. If you're not looking for a decent challenge and you just want to enjoy a good story, you might be able to enjoy this ironically, but don't even count on that.

Long live the Queen, or King, as the case may be!

Arthea

Seems like it doesn't work for those who got game in Humble Bundle.

I'm too lazy to check, but I'm almost sure I bought it not in the bundle but not on steam either I think, but I checked description and it doesn't say you had to buy it on steam.
Anyway, I can wait, not like I need more games to play.

Deques

Seems like it doesn't work for those who got game in Humble Bundle.
Hmm, I don't remember if I got it from humble or from a trader >.<
I'm too lazy to check, but I'm almost sure I bought it not in the bundle but not on steam either I think, but I checked description and it doesn't say you had to buy it on steam.
Anyway, I can wait, not like I need more games to play.
A city builder game would probably take too much of your time

pahamrick

The main Sequence's are quite short and you can knock out the game in 4-5 hours easily but there's quite a fair amount of side content if you liked the exploration of Black Flag, side stuff of III and the Outpost clearings of Far Cry 3/4. One good thing about Rogue I found was its immediacy, right after the first mission you have your ship and one area you can freely explore and after the first sequence you're free to muck about to your heart's content.

More of the ship stuff is welcome, I think that was my favorite part of Black Flag. I think in terms of game play and design BF is my favorite AC to date, but in terms of sheer story I don't think they'll ever touch the Ezio trilogy again (just the Ezio parts, mind you).

Generation Xth/Meikyuu Cross Blood would be so, so amazing to have in English...
I mean, seriously:
http://i.imgur.com/CDljr.jpg[/]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xx7UO.jpg[/]
Also Entaku no Seito
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QGvLn.jpg[/]
[IMG]http://www.sosgamers.com/wp-content/gallery/entaku-no-seito-students-of-round/entaku-no-seito-students-of-round-003.jpg
Is that a 3DS game? Looks pretty.
so GMG is doing a competition where you can win every major release from 2015.
hot damn.
Can't see on GMG's page. Any link, please?
Wow.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/15/the-long-dark-pc-steam/

thelongdark_bythenumbers_jan2015.jpg
Always interesting, these stats.
Russia loves the game, wow.

The_Monk

Dirt 3 Steamworks patch update, everyones getting the Complete Edition, plus they are adding trading cards.

Read post #1678

http://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/558746745592088289/#c622954302097655314

I've been lacking some proper time to chat with you all fine people but as soon I entered the thread saw this. This is great news to me!

Shame they won't give the same treatment for Dirt 2 and for those reasons he mentioned I might never see the first Dirt coming back to Steam as well. Either way, I can't wait to play this again (aside from the non-rally events) with snow, mud and rain. :)

Tizoc

The GMG thing is gotten from an e-mail.
It's from Playfire which gives instructions to register via facebook

So check your e-mail for anything new from Playfire.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
nice that they're finally able to do it. it's interesting that they're updating the game to the full edition though, which reminds me of bioshock and the DLC.

There's no other way to go about it, really: DLC items on GFWL don't have keys and having people e-mail through proof of ownership/purchase would be a bit of a logistical nightmare for Codemasters' support staffers. Like BioShock, though, I'd expect the free upgrade to only apply to existing owners, with a new, game-only store sub put to use once the patch has gone live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom