• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keyboard is dying wonder what I should get to replace it.

I picked up a Das Keyboard Professional 4 (with the Brown switches) and pretty much instantly fell in love with it. It actually made me so unhappy with the crappy keyboard on my work machine I got the department to buy me a second one for my office.

1) Check the Dark Souls Nexus. http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/?

In DSFix, you'll want to enable texture override, then put whatever you download into the dsfix/tex_override folder. I also recommend grabbing the High-Res UI and Subtitle one.

I do recommend playing at 60fps and dropping it to 30 when you're going down large ladders or trying to make tricky jumps. You can toggle your FPS by hitting backspace at anytime. If you're using DS4Windows you can set hotkey swipes to handle this stuff. It's pretty good. I got a swipe for FPS, another for no hud, and another to toggle the hud mod (mini hud).

Thanks, Nabs. I'm using DS4Windows. I'll try all this out.

Everyone's all about mechanical keyboards these days, but I'll stick with my wireless Logitech Wave. Feels comfy, I can type while on my bed if I so desire, has insanely long battery life...it works for me, anyway, but YMMV.

Sarcasm

Oh god no! ...Wait, how long have you had it? Because I've had mine for like five years and it's still going strong...

Much longer than that.

http://www.therichest.com/luxury/most-expensive/the-10-most-expensive-computer-keyboards/

More seriously... I'd go with a mechanical keyboard. I have blue switches (the really loud ones) because the feeling is just great. My GF hates me because of it, though :p... it's like standing near a MG 42.

Think I am gonna go with red switches.

Knurek

37FyBkX.jpg

image.php

OT: Maaan, I can't believe I'm wrapping up The Baroque Cycle... Started reading that in December 2013 or some such. Feeling kind of empty at the moment, not sure what should I read next...

OT: Maaan, I can't believe I'm wrapping up The Baroque Cycle... Started reading that in December 2013 or some such. Feeling kind of empty at the moment, not sure what should I read next...

Have you read The Witcher books? They're pretty cool so far.

The Hyperion series by Dan Simmons is one of the best sci-fi I've read recently if you haven't read those yet.

FloatOn

on the subject of shovel knight:

the enchantress is a real pain in my neck. I consistently got her down to about 2 and half bubbles of health and then she does some dumb shit and I fall down the hole in the ground.

now is the part where you tell me to "git gud"

Because of those bugs/glitches that have been mentioned :(
Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry. That makes sense of course.
Just learned from Nabs posts about the possibility to toggle framerate via hotkey between 30 and unlocked. That sounds like the best of both worlds.

Have fun with DS! Is it your first time?

Chariot

on the subject of shovel knight:

the enchantress is a real pain in my neck. I consistently got her down to about 2 and half bubbles of health and then she does some dumb shit and I fall down the hole in the ground.

now is the part where you tell me to "git gud"
I know your pain. I was sitting like 2 hours with her. I finally beat her, when I was with others in teamspeak and talk. Stop thinking and everything will be fine.

I'm not sure I haven't noticed before, or Nux and Platypus 2 just got cards.

Thank goodness for idlemaster.
Platypus 2 is so bad...so so so so bad.

Also found out from Brighthouse that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my connection, despite the fact that it shits the bed constantly everyday.
Very frustrating, especially when my connection was ok before the move.

Just reached 900 PM's on GAF. Damn.

Is there any mod or anything to respec in Dark Souls, or is Cheat Engine the only way?

Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry. That makes sense of course.
Just learned from Nabs posts about the possibility to toggle framerate via hotkey between 30 and unlocked. That sounds like the best of both worlds.

Yeah, no worries. This hotkey thing is a great idea.

Have fun with DS! Is it your first time?

Yeah, first time. I'll try my best to complete it without looking at any guides or asking for tips. I want to see if I can handle a game that doesn't hold my hand.

But if its main purpose was to establish a brand and a “promise” for the future – “The challenge when we made the first game was to create something that would make people dream about something else”, says Morin – then it has over-achieved. For there is no doubting the high expectation now on the development team to deliver a very special sequel, and that will require Morin and his team to be at the top of their game.

That's a fucking quote from creative director of Watch Dogs. It's hilarious. basically admitting that they knowingly shipped a turd, haha.

Yeah, no worries. This hotkey thing is a great idea.
Yeah, first time. I'll try my best to complete it without looking at any guides or asking for tips. I want to see if I can handle a game that doesn't hold my hand.
That's the best way! I played Demons Souls with looking up a wiki and in hindsight I think it was a bad idea. I didn't find secrets or cool weapons on my own :/ Sure, I didn't miss on lots of stuff but doing it on my own would have been much more rewarding.

I am as well currently playing Dark Souls 1 for the first time and this time I didn't look up any wikis. It is soooo much more rewarding and fun this way. I did miss out on whole ares for hours but finding them in the end made it so much more great :)

Wish there was a way to co-op the game. Would love to play it wholesome with friends.

Nabs

That's the best way! I played Demons Souls with looking up a wiki and in hindsight I think it was a bad idea. I didn't find secrets or cool weapons on my own :/ Sure, I didn't miss on lots of stuff but doing it on my own would have been much more rewarding.

I am as well currently playing Dark Souls 1 for the first time and this time I didn't look up any wikis. It is soooo much more rewarding and fun this way. I did miss out on whole ares for hours but finding them in the end made it so much more great :)

Wish there was a way to co-op the game. Would love to play it wholesome with friends.

You might want to break your no-wiki rule for a minute because this is a pretty big feature.

I wasn't 100% feeling another session of Knights of Pen & Paper or Lovely Planet to play yesterday, so I tried out Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

Wow. This game is pretty sweet.

I was sold on it during the steam sale by the gaffer that posted animated gifs of the combat system. Freezing floors and kicking people off ledges and stuff looked like a lot of fun, and it is. I have a hunger for skill points so I can unlock more spells and mana.

It also looks pretty decent, running on the Source engine I guess. Are there any mods or anything I should know about, though?

You might want to break your no-wiki rule for a minute because this is a pretty big feature.
I thought you could summon help but the game just chooses anyone randomly and then only being in your world for a short time? Can you actually call for a specific person from your friendslist and play together continuously?

EDIT: After dying the first time, I never went human again so was never invaded or summoned etc.

titch

I know the PC version needs help running but ignoring the 'issues' whats it like compared to the 360 version - I got quite far in that but ended up out of gaming for a while and kinda interested in revisiting it on PC.

Whats the general consensus should I go back to 360 or get it on PC and start again?

also, there's no shame in using a wiki to play dark souls. I used one occasionally if i got lost and didn't know where to go next (so maybe 3-4 times over +40 hours) and to upgrade weapons because the game doesn't explain jack shit about that and i wasn't going to needlessly dump souls into something without having an end game in mind.

all this dark souls talk makes me miss my lightning zweihander : (

Also, I doubt I ever would have found the DLC area without looking up a guide too.

I missed it because a friend of mine told me that you could finish the game and it would dump you back into the world, so i finished the game...and new game + started instead.

it was one of those moments that i wished i had read the wiki more because i was upset with him for a day hah. having to beat S and O in NG+ was not something i enjoyed.

Nabs

Also, I doubt I ever would have found the DLC area without looking up a guide too.

This too. You'll want to check a wiki for this before you face the final boss.

I know the PC version needs help running but ignoring the 'issues' whats it like compared to the 360 version - I got quite far in that but ended up out of gaming for a while and kinda interested in revisiting it on PC.

Whats the general consensus should I go back to 360 or get it on PC and start again?

The PC version is amazing. Forget you own the 360 version.

_hekk05

Banned
Are you fan of Ragnarok Online? I haven't these emoticons in years :)

Those are indeed RO emotes
Ok.gif

The clan mates are actually considering going back to it (pre-renewal of course). Hurrah!

I got a rosewill cherry browns with backlight for 95 usd. Its cheap but well built, though it doesn't save your backlight options so you have to redo it everytime you power your computer on.

PC all the way.

I'd love to replay Dark Souls but I haven't tried its sequel yet and am waiting on the revised edition to release in April. Hopefully I'll have a new rig by then too so I'll be playing outside of the 720p box for the first time!

GTA 5 pre-order offer direct from Rockstar

Pre-order and get $1,000,000 in-game ($500,000 for Grand Theft Auto V and $500,000 for Grand Theft Auto Online).

Pre-order by 2/1/15 and get a bonus $300,000 for Grand Theft Auto Online and a bonus digital download from a selection of Rockstar PC Games on the Rockstar Warehouse.

I expect this is how the Steam tiers will be set up too. Pre-order early and you get all the extra cash and a free game. If you order after the date has passed, you don't get the freebie. That's why it has 3 subs in the content registry which they'll replace after time runs out.

Parsnip

I went through Dark Souls the first time without wiki, and didn't know how weapon scaling worked until I was stuck at O&S and complained about it on another forum. Guess who was using the Drake Sword, huehue. And yeah, I also ended up missing the DLC that run too, as well as Ash Lake.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Oooooo, I'm telling the roguelike fans on you. If it's twin-stick gameplay, surely it's not turn-based, and if it's not turn-based, surely you mean that the game is a roguelikelike or a roguelight or a rogueroguelikelike.

I'm a big fan of rogue-anything games. I don't get too mired in the whole definitions, using the term roguelike as a blanket, but there's a fiercely loyal sector who get lexicographical when it comes to roguelikes.

I could go for roguelikelike if you'd prefer. Actually my favorite suggestion came from someone on Twitter who called it a pyroguelike. Which he graciously let us steal :)

Pepsimanvsjoe got it and said it was horrible.
Worth nothing more than a dollar. Just a cheap ios port.
Can you link me to his post? I searched within the thread and can't find it. All I see from him is that it's an Android port.

It has slowdowns even when playing alone, and I experienced lag trying to play with a friend who's in the same country (400km from here)
I'd say wait for patches or skip.
That sucks. Just like the Ouya (Android) version then. At least that one was only $3.

Nabs

Can you link me to his post? I searched within the thread and can't find it. All I see from him is that it's an Android port.

That sucks. Just like the Ouya (Android) version then. At least that one was only $3.

I picked up DD Trilogy for $3.50 off Nuuvem yesterday. I can't compare it to the arcade version, but I didn't run into any performance issues here. It does seem to use a lot of CPU for some reason, so that could be an issue for some. It also has online multiplayer if you're into that.

Thanks. That sucks. Guess I'll wait for the inevitable $1 sale or bundle. Was hoping to buy it now, as a nice complement to the Humble Brawler Bundle, but nope, not gonna reward lazy ass DotEmu with my money. They're awful in every way.

I picked up DD Trilogy for $3.50 off Nuuvem yesterday. I can't compare it to the arcade version, but I didn't run into any performance issues here. It does seem to use a lot of CPU for some reason, so that could be an issue for some. It also has online multiplayer if you're into that.
Thank you for your impressions, Nabs. Much appreciated! Is Nuuvem just another PC storefront, or is it something else?

Cheers guys

Looked what just popped into my in box..lol

Dark Souls™: Prepare To Die™ Edition

£7.60 (-50%) on GamesPlanet FR, activates on Steam

oh also waiting on this. My CC is going to hate me tonight!!!

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX All You Can Eat Edition

£2.85 (-75%) on GamesPlanet FR, activates on Steam
not to be a turd
but i know im totally going to sound like a turd
, but making a list of your awesome deals is frowned upon around here as they add nothing of significance to the conversation.

you can post deals that you find as that's helpful to some who might be interested, but most people don't care what cool purchases one's made lately.

and even if you do post some deals, people might still ignore you. there's someone named Surftur or something who trades in that and people ignore him/her all of the time. poor guy/gal.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of derExperte, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nuclear Throne -- MB-75A3022D39AD1664 - Taken by PunishedSnake. 51 entrants total.

t1421427079z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom