• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Surprised to see Bayo 2, Mario Kart 8 and DK Tropical Freeze as the top 3 in GAF's overall GOTY gongs. Saying that Bayo 2 and MK8 were two of the most enjoyable games I played last year so it kind of matches my own sentiments. SteamGAF's will certainly be interesting and great to see Divinity: Original Sin get some love in the main awards.

I can't wait til tomorrow, hope MRORANGE can make the date =3

Looking at GAF's previous GoTY lists

2004: MGS3
2005: RE4
2006: Twilight Princess
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2008: MGS4
2009: UC2
2010: ME2
2011: Portal 2
2012: Journey
2013: TLoU
2014: Bayo2

Portal 2 seems like a huge anomaly. Not a console exclusive, not a Japanese game, not a blockbuster franchise, in a year where Skyrim and Dark Souls came out.

This year I reckon it's going down between UC4, TPP and Zelda. I don't think a PC exclusive will ever have a chance on the site.

Megauap

Looking at GAF's previous GoTY lists

2004: MGS3
2005: RE4
2006: Twilight Princess
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2008: MGS4
2009: UC2
2010: ME2
2011: Portal 2
2012: Journey
2013: TLoU
2014: Bayo2

Portal 2 seems like a huge anomaly. Not a console exclusive, not a Japanese game, not a blockbuster franchise, in a year where Skyrim and Dark Souls came out.

This year I reckon it's going down between UC4, TPP and Zelda. I don't think a PC exclusive will ever have a chance on the site.

The Witcher 3 has possibilities too IMO.

Well, guess it's time to upgrade my PC.

You lived a good, long life, phenom x2 550 and HD 5830

Cranked out almost every game of last gen at max settings. Finally started to give out about a year ago. Rip, big fizzle.

Do it, I traded my HD5770 in for a R9 270x today. The difference in Wolfenstein, Alien and Grid Autosprt alone is glorious.

Dr Dogg

I can't wait til tomorrow, hope MRORANGE can make the date =3

I can't wait until we get to the top two and it's looking like a faceoff between an indie darling and a contentious AAA title and see the temperature rise in the thread again.

Portal 2 seems like a huge anomaly. Not a console exclusive, not a blockbuster franchise, in a year where Skyrim and Dark Souls came out.

Yeah Portal 2 is rarely mentioned where as Skyrim get's both praise and mud slung at it while Dark Souls is somewhat sacrosanct around these parts.

I think you're right though. Even The Witcher III, despite being on 3 platforms at the same time, is going to struggle against a new Metal Gear and Zelda plus Naughty Dog games do some funny things to some folks on GAF. Looking at the Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2015 thread you already have...

1. Uncharted 4
  2. MGS V: The Phantom Pain
  3. Zelda WiiU
  4. Bloodborne
  5. The Witcher III
  6. Persona 5
  7. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  8. No Mans Sky
  9. Arkham Knight
  10. The Order 1886

and then a whole host of console centric titles. Pillars of Eternity at 20 is keeping up the good fight though.

If Bayonetta can win it'll be Nintendo games for the rest of time.

What is going to win SteamGaf? Probably Wolfenstein for that retro shooter cred?
Tied with Ass Creed Unity

I can't wait until we get to the top two and it's looking like a faceoff between an indie darling and a contentious AAA title and see the temperature rise in the thread again.

What is the AAA title? I can imagine the indie darling is Shovel Knight, which I still contend was not very good. So I hope the AAA whatever it is wins.

yuraya

If Phantom Pain comes out this year it will win GAF GOTY no doubt. Its on 5 different platforms as well. I doubt Kojima screws it up having been working on it for so long.

Maniac

Banned
I have an announcement to make.

With EviLore's blessing, as part of There Came an Echo's Trading Card Set (5/5), I have added a :neogaf: Steam emoticon.

f67294763a0c52e5193f55934ab5c280f7152653.png

f91a74479f8cc11231e0a8c2de59cc8647e5069f.png

You know you want it.
Day 1.

Dr Dogg

The Hexcells love started after the vote lockdown :(

I was looking at the release dates of all 3 of them and the initial Hexcells came out in Feb!

Seeing as we're all a bunch of 'grab it while you can at the cheapest price possible' looney's in here and sometimes don't get to play a release in the year it came out some titles will never get the love they deserve. I mean I've still yet to play the meat of Divinity Original Sin or even get started with Wasteland 2 yet and Hexcells wasn't on my radar until you folks were posting about it :(

Nabs

I was looking at the release dates of all 3 of them and the initial Hexcells came out in Feb!

Seeing as we're all a bunch of 'grab it while you can at the cheapest price possible' looney's in here and sometimes don't get to play a release in the year it came out some titles will never get the love they deserve. I mean I've still yet to play the meat of Divinity Original Sin or even get started with Wasteland 2 yet and Hexcells wasn't on my radar until you folks were posting about it :(

Hey man, I tried to spread the gospel. Hexcells series: great. Lethal League: great. Mordor: Zzz.

Shadownet

Banned
spindoctor is a gentleman, a boss and I will forever owe him my eternal love and gratitude.

He helped me get GTA 5, albeit for $40 but still better than paying $60. Thank you so much man. The #1 game on my wishlist knocked down.

So if everything is consistent, SteamGAFs list should look like:

1. Dark Souls 2
2. Wolfenstein
3. South Park
4. Shadow of Mordor
5. Alien Isolation
6. Divinity Original Sin
7. Transistor
8. The Evil Within
9. Far cry 3 DLC
10. Ground Zeros

Which is a unispired list. I hope it turns out a lot better.

not a pc exclusive

I think that was a response to the 'TPP, UC4 and Zelda part'. I think if everything goes right the Witcher 3 will be CDPR's first real breakthrough that will open them paths to the console audience, bring mainstream appeal both fans and press included (though you can say it has been doing that since the announcement) and might win best RPG, but overall GoTY award? I don't think so.

I think you're right though. Even The Witcher III, despite being on 3 platforms at the same time, is going to struggle against a new Metal Gear and Zelda plus Naughty Dog games do some funny things to some folks on GAF. Looking at the Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2015 thread you already have...

and then a whole host of console centric titles. Pillars of Eternity at 20 is keeping up the good fight though.

Oh right, forgot Bloodborne. Yeah that top 4 seems locked. But as far as winners go I still think those other 3 have bigger pull regardless how high From and Miyazaki are ranked currently.

Neogaf RPG of the year is Dragon Age 3? -_-

Are you really surprised?

Oh and I forgot. MP-only games will also have a hard time winning here.

not that there have been many unquestionably better pc exclusives anyways

I think some might find this debatable :p But even if there was a consensus about x game, I still couldn't see it winning.

anastef

Oh and I forgot. MP-only games will also have a hard time winning here.

I think some might find this debatable :p But even if there was a consensus about x game, I still couldn't see it winning.

They are popular some time and after that you can't find players.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think that was a response to the 'TPP, UC4 and Zelda part'. I think if everything goes right the Witcher 3 will be CDPR's first real breakthrough that will open them paths to the console audience, bring mainstream appeal both fans and press included (though you can say it has been doing that since the announcement) and might win best RPG, but overall GoTY award? I don't think so.
well, would you have guessed at the beginning of the year that bayo was gonna win?

First laugh of the day and it's a good one, too.
:>

i can't think of many, really. at least recent games.

Uzzy

Dragonfall didn't even chart in PC Game of the Year, and DA: I won RPG of the Year? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still depressing.

Can see why Beyond Earth wasn't received too well. It could pass for a civ 5 mod. Lazy and uninspiring throughout. Glad I didn't buy it.

well, would you have guessed at the beginning of the year that bayo was gonna win?

A Nintendo exclusive made by Platinum which is also a sequel to a well-liked, highly received game? It had the makings of a GoTY. Wouldn't have been an unreasonable guess at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
So if everything is consistent, SteamGAFs list should look like:

1. Dark Souls 2
2. Wolfenstein
3. South Park
4. Shadow of Mordor
5. Alien Isolation
6. Divinity Original Sin
7. Transistor
8. The Evil Within
9. Far cry 3 DLC
10. Ground Zeros

Which is a unispired list. I hope it turns out a lot better.
if only my own lists could override you people's terrible opinions we'd at least have some inspired stuff :>

A Nintendo exclusive made by Platinum which is also a sequel to a well-liked, highly received game? It had the makings of a GoTY. Wouldn't have been an unreasonable guess at all.
it helped that a lot of games turned out to be shit/delayed too

Uzzy

Well DA:I had more dragons so obviously it would win.

If only you could have romanced Lofwyr. Dragonfall would have been sure to win then!

I did vote for Dragonfall though.

Good on you.

Can see why Beyond Earth wasn't received too well. It could pass for a civ 5 mod. Lazy and uninspiring throughout. Glad I didn't buy it.

Yeah, it's pretty poor. I'm finding it really lifeless, especially in comparison to Alpha Centauri. I'm trying to finish the game I started with it, but all I want to do while playing it is boot up Endless Legend instead.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised to see Bayo 2, Mario Kart 8 and DK Tropical Freeze as the top 3 in GAF's overall GOTY gongs. Saying that Bayo 2 and MK8 were two of the most enjoyable games I played last year so it kind of matches my own sentiments. SteamGAF's will certainly be interesting and great to see Divinity: Original Sin get some love in the main awards.

I'm surprised too, but it was Smash and not DK who nabbed third place :p

Tizoc

I take it we don't know when Ep. 2 of Life is Strange is gonna release huh?
Really hope this game won't suffer from Telltale relase syndrome =_=

Arthea

I was hoping to come in here and reminiscenting how I was right that DOS will be PC GOTY, no luck... (><)

Results of GOTY voting were more or less obvious if you followed the thread, still amazing Nintendo domination this year.

Other than that on my affinity list: zkylon is #2, derExperte #3, Durante #4 and pahamrick #6! talk about steamgaf having great taste in games! nice to have you in there, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom