• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Holy fuck that Robot Dodgeball game is awesome.

Might make a video of it. Insane fun, too bad there's so few players, but the game supports bots online.

Deitus

I picked up a few games during the sale to give away, but I hadn't gotten around to it until now. I hope you guys can find a good home for these.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deitus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crypt of the Necrodancer -- MB-7B5FE8AEC16D5D5D - Taken by alr1ght. 68 entrants total.
Shovel Knight -- MB-D1ABEF0A29DCC409 - Taken by Cth. 73 entrants total.
Rogue Legacy -- MB-33288582F7A26769 - Taken by pupo. 14 entrants total.
Metal Gear Sold V: Ground Zeroes -- MB-AAC52A20F8417E95 - Taken by RyanPierre. 66 entrants total.
La-Mulana -- MB-64E97CF7B6038752 - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 18 entrants total.

t1421541146z1.png

Maniac

Banned
Can't wait for the impressions again where the press spend 10-30 mins with it on badly picked games.
Reminds me of the fact that I've spotted atleast 5 of the, what, 200? Steambox & controller testers that've outright refused to actually test it at all, and simply kept the great hardware, installed windows and ditched the controller without giving it a chance.

Sigh.

Copons

I picked up a few games during the sale to give away, but I hadn't gotten around to it until now. I hope you guys can find a good home for these.

This, according to my taste and wishlist, is probably one of the best giveaways ever. Thanks! :*

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just tried the beta of Sky Rogue with mouse and keyboard. Ehhh handles weird but I shall try later with a controller which I feel is the way to be played.

Reminds me of the fact that I've spotted atleast 5 of the, what, 200? Steambox & controller testers that've outright refused to actually test it at all, and simply kept the great hardware, installed windows and ditched the controller without giving it a chance.

Sigh.

This makes me a sad panda. I really wish that there was a chance for people outside NA to have been included in the testing. I would have loved to set this up in my living room for comfy couch gaming. In-house streaming is a good alternative though. But dat controller.

Haunted

Are indie games finally at the "low-polygon 3D" stage? Just when you'd had enough of 8- and 16-bit platformers, they're ready to evolve...
I honestly think it depends on the age of the developers and which era they want to honour with their retro game. :D We've had the 8-bit look, the 16-bit look, early PS1 3D, a clean take on isometric games and even specific Dreamcast-era references. (indie diversity etc etc)

Anyway, if you like the low poly 3D look (which can look very nice when cleaned up properly) check out Drift Stage, possibly the best example of that style I've seen so far :D

Lomax

I honestly think it depends on the age of the developers and which era they want to honour with their retro game. :D We've had the 8-bit look, the 16-bit look, early PS1 3D, a clean take on isometric games and even specific Dreamcast-era references. (indie diversity etc etc)

Anyway, if you like the low poly 3D look (which can look very nice when cleaned up properly) check out Drift Stage, possibly the best example of that style I've seen so far :D

Drift Stage in no way resembles low poly 3D, it's pixel art combined with 3D to create a pixel art effect to make graphics that are reminiscent of 80s arcade racers. If anything I'd consider Drift Stage's style to be everything low poly 3D isn't. While I guess there are people out there with nostalgia for that PS1/Saturn era poly stuff, I think the general majority look back at it as a primitive stage that was mostly awful. Just like for the most part people don't go back to Atari era graphics, intentionally going back to early low poly graphics is just intentionally making something ugly.

I like it. Not because I have tons of great memories from those days, but because I have a lot of memories of dissatisfaction. Shitty draw distances, bad shading, weird clipping, poor performance, annoying controls. Technology wasn't ready for it and so it was a step back from stuff like After Burner. Well, now technology is way beyond it, so we can do those arcade concepts in a cool and fun way. It's like scratching an itch that was tucked away in my memory somewhere.

I think the idea of taking what that era was trying to do and doing it right is a valid one. But you can also argue that we have had 20 years of refinement of that early stuff, whereas only in recent years did we see a return to 2d art and some evolution in those genres. I think what Drift Stage is doing, in taking that 80s arcade style of Outrun and Afterburner and making it a game that plays in a modern way is a great idea and I hope more developers go in that direction. But just like poor quality pixel art is more ugly than retro, poor quality polygon art is even more so.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, I have no nostalgia for those low poly days. Looks hideous.
I like it. Not because I have tons of great memories from those days, but because I have a lot of memories of dissatisfaction. Shitty draw distances, bad shading, weird clipping, poor performance, annoying controls. Technology wasn't ready for it and so it was a step back from stuff like After Burner. Well, now technology is way beyond it, so we can do those arcade concepts in a cool and fun way. It's like scratching an itch that was tucked away in my memory somewhere.

Spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

GUNSHIP! -- MB-98CCB41E12F7D2DC - Taken by electroflame

Mr. Doop

This is first giveaway I've seen where I actually like/am interested in every single game. You're the best!

Dascu

This is correct. I really got into gaming with the PS1, so that kind of low-poly style is particularly attractive to me and inspired me for Malebolgia.

Damn. You have merely 26hrs clocked in o_O
Would have imagined you to have played DS1 in & out by now.

Yeah...I got started pretty late. Going back into it now that GFWL is gone. Made it Anor Londo with my first character and was getting demolished. Running through it again new. Feels good man

Sky Rogue 0.5$ minimum for a steam key, already greenlit

Get on this now. Amazing game and one of my highlights of 2014.

My own impressions are (with optional video):

Imagine if Ace Combat had a baby with Rogue Legacy. That's the essence of what Sky Rogue is: an aerial roguelike with randomly generated but scaling levels, upgrades, unlocks, multiple different types of craft, and a fairly simple goal. Each level's goal is to destroy the command center, but you'll probably need to take care of the map's defenses first. Some are drones, some are missile batteries, and if you're good enough, you'll be going up against a fleet of enemy ships that can dogfight with the best of them.

It's a tough game: you will die. And you will get angry. But you'll get better and the game will push you to get better because it doesn't let up too much if you struggle.

The different craft all have different feels when piloting them, and the bomb/rocket types are different enough to be worth putting thought into. Each also has a certain point score for avionics and payload: you have a cap on both for your ship, so you have to figure out how to mix and match weaponry right. Do you want the unguided but heavy hitting bombs or the fast reloading but low damage micro missiles? How about defensive maneuvers? And will you scrap your machine gun to fit that one last guided rocket in?

zkylon

zkylewd
A de_rats themed Instagib arena FPS with rocketjumping?
Oh myyy..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338170/

now that i think about it, it's kind of a wasted opportunity space that devs don't do stuff with player "size" like that. kinda like katamari, first a rat is huge and scary and suddenly it's a barely distinguishable dot, that kind of thing is fun

i know someone was making a portal-esque game not long ago in which you could rescale the world, i wonder what happened to it

Nzyme32

Can't wait for the impressions again where the press spend 10-30 mins with it on badly picked games.

Same. I just hope they some how worked everything out to make the thing intuitive on as many games as possible. That and hoping there is a good selection of streaming options or even an android streaming app

That train doesn't look like it's going anywhere though.

It's more of a shelter, consistently damaged by the messy Microsoft but some how still standing. It also is a good protection from Don Mattrick, as pictured

Sky Rogue 0.5$ minimum for a steam key, already greenlit

Bought it! Sounds like a whole lot of fun

Dr Dogg

Well I'm quite surprised that PCSX2 runs pretty flawless natively on my Surface Pro. Smacking up the internal rendering resolution isn't really on the cards and it took a bit of work to get set up at first due to having an integrated Intel GPU. But this is on an old Ivy Bridge Ultrabook class i5 so it will be really interesting to see what the new Broadwell-U CPU's can do as going from the specs they look like little rockets. 2015 might be more about the smaller form factor PC than some folks think.

January starts late over there?

Ha! As I said in the RPJ thread I've been bunged up with flu since the start of the year and today is the first time I'm not so pale that I look like Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Deitus

You're welcome everyone. I just hope whoever ends up with those games has as much fun with them as I have had.

In the meantime, has anyone here played Lords of the Fallen? I cannot for the life of me get the game to launch. Every time it crashes while displaying the intro logo screens (Nvidia, Alienware, etc.). I've tried google searching the issue, and found a ton of people with the same issue, but none of the fixes I've seen have worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom