• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the meantime, has anyone here played Lords of the Fallen? I cannot for the life of me get the game to launch. Every time it crashes while displaying the intro logo screens (Nvidia, Alienware, etc.). I've tried google searching the issue, and found a ton of people with the same issue, but none of the fixes I've seen have worked for me.
Corrosivefrost beat the game to 100%

Maybe send him a message on Steam?

DocSeuss

Greenmangaming can fuck off.

Wtym7Y6.png

I didn't ask them to change their policy.

Wtym7Y6.png

I thought that Steam had the worst support service of all, but looks like GMG beats them. Also, you can get a refund for a preorder on Steam, why would they act differently? Really sucks, hopefully they'll see reason.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Depth Hunter 2 (possibly taken) -- MB-F74A2FF97701C1B3 - Taken by electroflame
Songs of the Myrne (probably taken) -- MB-C5687BFD91855C3B - Taken by electroflame

zkylon

zkylewd
i guess it's kind of unrealistic to expect a store to give you a refund for no reason?

tho it's a preorder so i guess it should be fine since nothing was really exchanged

yeah that's kind of weird

Maniac

Banned

Wtym7Y6.png

I remember when I started using them, a mere two weeks after their website had been established... Good times. Got several euros (or quid? Don't remember) for every referal, a pound or two for reviews... :[

Also support was great back then and you could just talk to the guys directly. Prices were, ofcourse, also a lot better.

... I've not bought a game on GMG since I bought Hatoful Boyfriend. And that was my first purchase from them in a year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly, DocSeuss, just do a chargeback with your credit card company or PayPal, whichever you used to pay. You asked for a refund, they didn't give it to you. And if you don't plan on doing any subsequent business with them, there's no need to preserve your relationship.

Dr Dogg

That thread has turned into just more hype nonsense than any discussion about what (little) will be discussed at the event.

There's a lot to go over about the more consumer orientated features of Win 10 and even some of the stuff that will be added in new tech preview build which I got an email about on Thursday (even that was telling me to 'get hyped!') in the short space of time to have anything meaningful to say that will interest most of that thread. There will probably be the same level of derision as the Xbox One unveiling when some find out the presentation isn't going to be about games.

http://i.imgur.com/Wtym7Y6.png[IMG]

I didn't ask them to change their policy.[/QUOTE]

Chargeback or Visa refund? It's not like Steam where you would fuck over your entire library.

Edit: Damn it Stump!

DocSeuss

cRBaZC5.png

So, uh, is there any solid financial reason I shouldn't just go to my bank and stop payment?

Honestly, DocSeuss, just do a chargeback with your credit card company or PayPal, whichever you used to pay. You asked for a refund, they didn't give it to you. And if you don't plan on doing any subsequent business with them, there's no need to preserve your relationship.

Excellent. That is indeed what I was planning.

I'm wondering if I should cancel all other preorders I had with them as well. Just the new Resident Evil and Batman game.

BorntoPlay

You're welcome everyone. I just hope whoever ends up with those games has as much fun with them as I have had.

In the meantime, has anyone here played Lords of the Fallen? I cannot for the life of me get the game to launch. Every time it crashes while displaying the intro logo screens (Nvidia, Alienware, etc.). I've tried google searching the issue, and found a ton of people with the same issue, but none of the fixes I've seen have worked for me.

I have the same problem, i think we have to wait for a new patch....

Locust

I'm wondering if I should cancel all other preorders I had with them as well. Just the new Resident Evil and Batman game.
They'll probably ban your account anyway for doing a chargeback, so yes.

Using preorder bonuses to lock in preorders, that's got to be a new low.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm honestly not surprised that these retailers are pushing back on refunds for GTA V. Judging by the number of emails I got yesterday along the lines of "I clicked on the link in Enhanced Steam to buy GTA at XXXXX store, and I didn't get a Steam key......" most people are confused about not getting a Steam key. It seems like everyone wants it on Steam, and everyone is upset that sites other than Steam don't activate there.

It's not like this is exactly new
*cough* Ubisoft *cough*
but I don't think anyone expected GTA V to not be Steamworks.

I'm certain that Rockstar's choice to not provide Steam keys available to other vendors are really cutting into those vendor's bottom line.

Yeah, I would. They'll probably ban/lock your account, so if you go through with this make sure that you have no intention of using them in the future.

You could probably open another account using Paypal if you used a credit card or vice versa, but I wouldn't bother as they may ban that account if they figure it out. GMG is really, really ban happy (and their customer service rarely sees reason). I've had to email them about not getting Playfire rewards and they've threatened to close my account/stop communicating due to "fraud".

Really, if it's not a case like this where you're out quite a bit of money, it's best to just eat whatever and not email them.

DocSeuss

They'll probably ban your account anyway for doing a chargeback, so yes.

Using preorder bonuses to lock in preorders, that's got to be a new low.

It really is one of the worst things I've seen, yeah.

Yeah, I would. They'll probably ban/lock your account, so if you go through with this make sure that you have no intention of using them in the future.

Just sent them an email asking for a refund.

I'm honestly not surprised that these retailers are pushing back on refunds for GTA V. Judging by the number of emails I got yesterday along the lines of "I clicked on the link in Enhanced Steam to buy GTA at XXXXX store, and I didn't get a Steam key......" most people are confused about not getting a Steam key. It seems like everyone wants it on Steam, and everyone is upset that sites other than Steam don't activate there.

*cough* Ubisoft *cough*

Given that Max Payne 3 was Steamworks and, well, just about everything Rockstar, including San Andreas has a Steam key, I thought it would be Steamworks.

bigzgod

*cough* Ubisoft *cough*

I think adding in a 3rd party DRM notice for GTA V would help in that regard, to drive the point home.

Turfster

*cough* Ubisoft *cough*

Ubi at least is a big publisher that has been doing this forever.
What the fuck is R* Social Flub worth? Even less. =p
It goes down like a sack of potatoes every time there's a sale on R* games that shove it down your throat, and adds a big fat nothing to said games.

DocSeuss

For me, the frustrating thing is that $46 is a lot of money. I've been looking towards this game a long time.

I'll get the chargeback, will just forgo Resident Evil, and will use that money to get GTAV on Steam.

EDIT: Funny, GMG went from fairly prompt (~3 minute) responses to ABSOLUTE SILENCE after I requested cancellation.

Deitus

I have the same problem, i think we have to wait for a new patch....

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. Given what I had heard about this game, I expected some amount of performance issues, though I hoped after being out for 3 months they would have sorted those out. But not even being able to run even the middleware splash screens is inexcusable. It's not like my PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there an easy way to check if you own a game that is currently on a free weekend? I can't remember if I actually bought Saints Row 4 or not.

Lain

Yeah it's shitty, but I guess giving out a key for the bonus game is what fucks it up. I think the same thing applied to Hitman? Since they gave that other key for it when preordering, so they didn't accept cancellation afterward.
They should probably only add the bonus keys at release instead of trying to force order lock on customers, as it only creates bad blood.

DocSeuss

Is there an easy way to check if you own a game that is currently on a free weekend? I can't remember if I actually bought Saints Row 4 or not.

Check the account details on Steam. See if Saints Row is in there.

Yeah it's shitty, but I guess giving out a key for the bonus game is what fucks it up. I think the same thing applied to Hitman? Since they gave that other key for it when preordering, so they didn't accept cancellation afterward.
They should probably only add the bonus keys at release instead of trying to force order lock on customers, as it only creates bad blood.

Or, heck, use the thing that Gamersgate uses and make people click a specific button to reveal the key.

bigzgod

For me, the frustrating thing is that $46 is a lot of money. I've been looking towards this game a long time.

I'll get the chargeback, will just forgo Resident Evil, and will use that money to get GTAV on Steam.

You can still probably get both. GTA V is $45 from Vietnam so that sets an upper limit (for now at least) on the older copies from China. A few friends that missed out on $30 copies still managed to grab a copy for $42 from those who got the earlier copies.

MUnited83

For you.
You can still probably get both. GTA V is $45 from Vietnam so that sets an upper limit (for now at least) on the older copies from China. A few friends that missed out on $30 copies still managed to grab a copy for $42 from those who got the earlier copies.

As of right now 30$ copies are still possible to get.

Knurek

So, with the increasing hostility towards Steam some publishers exhibit, how long till we'll be getting mandatory Steamworks->Telltale DRM or Steamworks->Rockstar Social Club or Steamworks->WB Club conversion patches?

Nzyme32

I've worked it out

I'm going to go for the most extreme angle for kicks - MS will force all games on Windows 10 to be available via the "One Store" with functionality for Xbox One also. The same will be done for Xbox One games to PC via the "One Store". Cross purchasing. Streaming possible between all devices, PC, Xbox One, Phone. PC has Xbox Live features for "One Store" games - subscription fee version of Windows 10 required, includes Xbox Live access. Apprehensive train redeemed

Good thing I booked my ticket on the right train :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, with the increasing hostility towards Steam some publishers exhibit, how long till we'll be getting mandatory Steamworks->Telltale DRM or Steamworks->Rockstar Social Club or Steamworks->WB Club conversion patches?

The best thing we can do is vote with our wallets. If publisher see that they're selling twice as many copies of their game on Steam than they are on all other sites combined, they'll take notice. The fact that some (like Rockstar, now) are experimenting with their own distribution method is just the more reason not to buy their game at all, or at the least only buy it on Steam if that's your platform of choice.

Turfster

This would lose them a lot of customers.
They can maybe get away with this for GTAV because apparently people like nothing more than to open their mouths and let R* shit in them for a late (maybe useless as shit like the IV one) port of that piece of garbage, but for something else? Doubtful.

def sim

I've worked it out

Good thing I booked my ticket on the right train :p

Yeah, I'm expecting cross buy licenses between console and PC. That's how they will get gold fee on PC.

Anyway, Batman Origins is great. Playing it after Mordor shows how very little there is to do in the latter.

The best thing we can do is vote with our wallets. If publisher see that they're selling twice as many copies of their game on Steam than they are on all other sites combined, they'll take notice. The fact that some (like Rockstar, now) are experimenting with their own distribution method is just the more reason not to buy their game at all, or at the least only buy it on Steam if that's your platform of choice.

They might also use the Red Dead Redemption method of PC distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom