• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just visited Gamersyde and found several new images of Dark Souls 2 - Sins of the First Sin.

Can't tell differences courtesy of not having played DS2 much, so I would gladly appreciate opinions of DS-experienced ones.

In the comments I saw someone posting DS2 vanilla and GeDoSaTo ones. Damn!
tJ7h2t4.jpg

sN54g5l.jpg
Looks sooooo good.

Chariot

wtf. The hell is GMG support thinking? And what policy. I got this after my first mail.

tS13yYc.png

No fuss. Did they change that in the last three months?

Kuroyume

Banned
I won this from Lain the other day. Modbot incorrectly used the sequel's banner instead of the original (which I already own) So, this is for the first game:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy -- MB-26F84BE1D73862A8 - Taken by xezuru. 2 entrants total.

t1421537663z1.png

Kiru

wtf. The hell is GMG support thinking? And what policy. I got this after my first mail.

tS13yYc.png

First of all you got Jordan and not Travis on the line. Maybe Jordan is much nicer...
jk
I think the problem in Doc's case is, that he already received a code for GTA: San Andreas.

Did you receive a key already back then ?

First of all you got Jordan and not Travis on the line. Maybe Jordan is much nicer...
jk
I think the problem in Doc's case is, that he already received a code for GTA: San Andreas.

Did you receive the a key already back then ?

Seems the classy thing to do would be to refund them the price MINUS the current price of San Andreas at the very least.

Deitus

I won this from Lain the other day. Modbot incorrectly used the sequel's banner instead of the original (which I already own) So, this is for the first game:

Hah, I almost made the same mistake you did and entered for the game thinking it was the sequel. Good thing I stopped to read your post.

madjoki

It's not like this is exactly new
*cough* Ubisoft *cough*
but I don't think anyone expected GTA V to not be Steamworks.

Nope, there were signs pointing to non-steamworks* and I was afraid of Rockstar not having Steam activeable physical retail keys.

Mostly:
1) Lack of activity on Steam Database, pointing to development outside Steam. Change number is public private apps and pushing new build changes it. (afaik, even for local steam servers)
2) Announcement of crossplatform saves for GTA Online / Usage Rockstar Social Club on consoles

Thought I hoped for at least digital keys be Steam (Rockstar did move to mostly steam-keys recently, while before there direct downloads too), but I was afraid they might not be.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nope, there were signs pointing to non-steamworks* and I was afraid of Rockstar not having Steam activeable physical retail keys.

Mostly:
1) Lack of activity on Steam Database, pointing to development outside Steam. Change number is public private apps and pushing new build changes it. (afaik, even for local steam servers)
2) Announcement of crossplatform saves for GTA Online / Usage Rockstar Social Club on consoles

Thought I hoped for at least digital keys be Steam (Rockstar did move to mostly steam-keys recently, while before there direct downloads too), but I was afraid they might not be.

I guess I should have clarified. For those of us in the know, the signs were all there like you said. For the average consumer, a lot of them got blindsided by this.

Chariot

It's the pre-order bonus. In this case San Andreas.

jk

Ah, I see. Yes, no I didn't get anything yet at that point. I mean, I get that they can't just take that back, but come on. Really mean of them.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Deitus, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deitus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crypt of the Necrodancer -- MB-7B5FE8AEC16D5D5D - Taken by alr1ght. 68 entrants total.
Shovel Knight -- MB-D1ABEF0A29DCC409 - Taken by Cth. 73 entrants total.
Rogue Legacy -- MB-33288582F7A26769 - Taken by pupo. 14 entrants total.
Metal Gear Sold V: Ground Zeroes -- MB-AAC52A20F8417E95 - Taken by RyanPierre. 66 entrants total.
La-Mulana -- MB-64E97CF7B6038752 - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 18 entrants total.

t1421541146z1.png

bigzgod

Ah, I see. Yes, no I didn't get anything yet at that point. I mean, I get that they can't just take that back, but come on. Really mean of them.

Frankly, GMG should have tried offering a pro-rata refund, deducting some of the cost of GTA:SA from the refund. While it would still sting for both parties, it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as denying it outright and they wouldn't burn a bridge doing this, forcing DocSeuss to not only chargeback, but canceling his other preorders as well.

BorntoPlay

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. Given what I had heard about this game, I expected some amount of performance issues, though I hoped after being out for 3 months they would have sorted those out. But not even being able to run even the middleware splash screens is inexcusable. It's not like my PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements.

yeah i know, maybe the game installation has issue with some configurations... hope the fix it soon...

Turfster

Aaand that was F.E.A.R 2, again.
Much shorter, much less powerful and showing the first signs of modern AAA bullshit (QTEs, turret sections that never end, multiplayer only 'achievements', etc).

Vibranium

Banned
The best thing we can do is vote with our wallets. If publisher see that they're selling twice as many copies of their game on Steam than they are on all other sites combined, they'll take notice. The fact that some (like Rockstar, now) are experimenting with their own distribution method is just the more reason not to buy their game at all, or at the least only buy it on Steam if that's your platform of choice.

Yeah, I'd love to see Ubisoft's PC sales data. I just wish these companies would offer up Steam codes through retailers, we're using their services either way. More choice, not less.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Wolfenstein New Order, and wow that game does a lot of things right! The last boss was ass, but otherwise wonderfully paced and scripted, really fun to play!

Deitus

yeah i know, maybe the game installation has issue with some configurations... hope the fix it soon...

Aha! I got it to load finally. I actually had to go into the game directory and manually install DirectX files there. I don't remember seeing that install when I loaded up the game for the first time, like most games do, so I guess that's why it wouldn't work.

Here's the post that told me how to fix it (from one of the devs):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/265300/discussions/0/613940477649585739/

Edit: Now here's hoping I don't run into all of the other crash bugs I've seen documented about this game.

Uzzy

Finished Wolfenstein New Order, and wow that game does a lot of things right! The last boss was ass, but otherwise wonderfully paced and scripted, really fun to play!

Yeah, really excellent game. I was surprised at how good the plot was, along with the little snippets of internal monologue from BJ Blazkowicz.

We could do with him in tomorrow's EU4 session!

DocSeuss

tS13yYc.png

Jordan seems way nicer than Travis, who believes Steam "shouldn't matter," as if I was worried about Rockstar Social Club.

BorntoPlay

Aha! I got it to load finally. I actually had to go into the game directory and manually install DirectX files there. I don't remember seeing that install when I loaded up the game for the first time, like most games do, so I guess that's why it wouldn't work.

Here's the post that told me how to fix it (from one of the devs):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/265300/discussions/0/613940477649585739/

Edit: Now here's hoping I don't run into all of the other crash bugs I've seen documented about this game.

Oh thanks, i gotta try that!...

jk

Jordan was helpful when I wanted to cancel Beyond Earth because it was cheaper to use a different coupon. He cancelled the wrong order but he was quick to correct his mistake.

Ryne

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ryne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition -- MB-7FDD7A470C32B3D2 - Taken by auroragoryalice

Hope it works

AHA-Lambda

What the hell? That's a far cry away from the old days of GMG, I pre ordered Rayman Legends from them and didn't realise it wasn't a Steam key, yet they refunded me no problem, and that also had a pre order bonus!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
do people just troll the undead parts of Dark Souls to invade? I couldn't even make it from Firelink to the Gargoyles without being invaded.

What are you talking about? Multiplayer is soooo much better than boring old single player. Who doesn't like to be constantly irritated by other players while you try to complete a otherwise simple task?

do people just troll the undead parts of Dark Souls to invade? I couldn't even make it from Firelink to the Gargoyles without being invaded.
Tbh after dying at the tutorial I never went human up until the two Gargoyles. I spent maybe only about three hours as human after that but I wasn't invaded even once.

Does the game pair you with invaders only being around your Soul Level or can you get unlucky and get stomped by a LVL60 as a LVL5 player?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just visited Gamersyde and found several new images of Dark Souls 2 - Sins of the First Sin.

Can't tell differences courtesy of not having played DS2 much, so I would gladly appreciate opinions of DS-experienced ones.

In the comments I saw someone posting DS2 vanilla and GeDoSaTo ones. Damn!

Looks sooooo good.

Well I guess I'll buy the new version and enjoy it in it's pre-downgraded glory. o:
I'm glad I held off because I smelled something off about 2 around release and cancelled my pre-order.

Tecl0n

Tbh after dying at the tutorial I never went human up until the two Gargoyles. I spent maybe only about three hours as human after that but I wasn't invaded even once.

Does the game pair you with invaders only being around your Soul Level or can you get unlucky and get stomped by a LVL60 as a LVL5 player?

Usually it's +-10sl levels, some covenats have a differentiated percent, but it's always around that range. BUT, darkwraith can invade anything above their sl level.

Well I guess I'll buy the new version and enjoy it in it's pre-downgraded glory. o:
I'm glad I held off because I smelled something off about 2 around release and cancelled my pre-order.
Yo, those two images I linked are NOT from the new, DX11 version but from the old version, one enhanced by GeDoSaTo.

So no need to wait for the SotFS to get them juicy visuals!
Usually it's +-10sl levels, some covenats have a differentiated percent, but it's always around that range. BUT, darkwraith can invade anything above their sl level.
What is darkwraith?

Sarcasm

Greenmangaming has always been horrible. Even buying from them is a bad experience. Top it off they actually also region block. lol

-MD-

Greenmangaming has always been horrible. Even buying from them is a bad experience. Top it off they actually also region block. lol

I've never dealt with their support but buying games from them for the last couple years has always been easy and pain free for me.

Deitus

To add on to this, the game does limit who you can be invaded by based on Soul Level, but it does nothing to prevent someone who went through the whole game as a Soul Level 1, has all of their equipment upgraded to the max, and is using spells and equipment you don't have access to at the early parts of the game, from invading you at the early parts of the game.

This is why DS2 added a "soul memory" system for matching people for online play, but frankly that system just introduced more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom