• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's really shitty how the shared library works now. IIRC in the summer me and my gf were able to play different games at the same time with no problems.
i think a possible workaround would be the owner of the library to play his games in offline mode and another person who has shared access to use the library online.
a bit of a hassle but that way two persons could play concurrently with the library owner out of luck with mp games/gameportions.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
So, it's really shitty how the shared library works now. IIRC in the summer me and my gf were able to play different games at the same time with no problems.

They need to be online when they start playing someone else's games, but once the game launches they can just go offline. Alternatively you can go offline so they can play online. Its strange, but it does keep people from playing together on one copy (unless you can play lan).

keit4

Banned
i think a possible workaround would be the owner of the library to play his games in offline mode and another person who has shared access to use the library online.
a bit of a hassle but that way two persons could play concurrently with the library owner out of luck with mp games/gameportions.

They need to be online when they start playing someone else's games, but once the game launches they can just go offline. Alternatively you can go offline so they can play online. Its strange, but it does keep people from playing together on one copy (unless you can play lan).

Yeah, this works! Thanks a lot, i'm playing Nuclear Throne solo so i don't have any problem being offline.

Volotaire

Hyper Light Drifter
Eh, eh?

I can't wait for that. I know a lot of posters and people have been getting tired of pixel inspired action RPG's or platformers, but I can't get enough of them. On top of this, this game looks to be something special with its gameplay.

Lomax

Is there a specific reason Garry's Mod is back in the top 5 sales again? Or is it just one of those random things?

Pack up that pity, Locust!

Elite: Dangerous released on December 16, 2014. No plans for a Steam release, according to everyone.

Dangerous released on Steam December 16, 2014.

The reviews from the people who "accidentally" bought it are hilarious. I have no pity for anyone dumb enough to buy a $20 game thinking it was something else. Seems more likely those people thought they could scam a refund or a free copy by doing it. Besides, anyone who knew enough to know Elite: Dangerous was releasing on that day also should have known it wasn't released on Steam. Not to mention that the "release" had no impact on the availability of purchasing the game.

All that said, with all the questionable stuff around Elite: Dangerous from the Kickstarter all the way to killing the offline mode, it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did steal the name from this.

Lomax

Isn't Garry's Mod just one of those games that's always in the top sellers list?

Seems like it. But this jump seems particularly random, wasn't sure if there was some sort of event or new mod release driving it. Of course, it may only take a couple of sales in an hour this time of year to cause a game to jump up the list.

Volotaire

Seems like it. But this jump seems particularly random, wasn't sure if there was some sort of event or new mod release driving it. Of course, it may only take a couple of sales in an hour this time of year to cause a game to jump up the list.

Perhaps a lot of prominent YouTubers have put it a the top of the list or have been playing it. Prop hunt and TTT are always popular (and fun).

Clearing out all the extra keys I've built up.

Some games are good, some not so good...but all of them can be yours. :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Armoured Priest:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 51 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-208FBB90D27C8E40 - Taken by neotokyo360. 32 entrants total.
Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-7CB644FD97EA1D01 - Taken by Strazyplus. 22 entrants total.
Salambo Battle for Carthage -- MB-BB2A0309DA646B81 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
World Truck Racing -- MB-A21831C2AEC2924D - Taken by Chreznor. 3 entrants total.
Jagged Alliance Gold -- MB-C95CC3D53D79E3B4 - Taken by ReduxMachine. 8 entrants total.
Coldfire Keep -- MB-AA5A1C2D74CADE8A - Taken by auroragoryalice. 5 entrants total.
Overcast Walden and the Werewolf -- MB-FE0E218211A4A164 - Taken by WinterDemons. 4 entrants total.
Space Hack -- MB-45C43F14AF6E0D7D
Ichi -- MB-3FBF58B685788D98 - Taken by Pranay_. 6 entrants total.
Chompy Chomp Chomp -- MB-69869895460789F4 - Taken by Cth. 3 entrants total.
Evil Quest -- MB-181E4149A291928F - Taken by Renusek. 5 entrants total.
Little racers Street -- MB-D3FEB9506F36524D - Taken by RedFyn. 4 entrants total.
Dracula 3 the Path of the Dragon -- MB-4E0C1667EF094B18 - Taken by Sammichu. 2 entrants total.
Lightfish -- MB-65B0EA6E8367B85E - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.
Dracula the Resurrection -- MB-3AD2C85ED0A60845
Ku Shroud of the Morrigan -- MB-167E928DF122C3FC - Taken by nja. 2 entrants total.
Battle Group 2 -- MB-9DA35240D1C6C434 - Taken by rrvv. 4 entrants total.

Commando jack -- MB-C247EA346BD92853
Retro Pixel Castles -- MB-5F1D9E07A0261B2F - Taken by Popstar. 4 entrants total.
C Rush -- MB-E918F72D4F2589A8 - Taken by Woody Invincible. 2 entrants total.
Rhiannon Curse of the Four Branches -- MB-8665036C78707844 - Taken by Natty1. 4 entrants total.
CONSORTIUM -- MB-34DF74911C3D0E90 - Taken by Catshade. 20 entrants total.
Alpha Kimori -- MB-F2A47ED96869F49C - Taken by fernandes. 3 entrants total.
Return to Mysterious Island 2 -- MB-7D526A408D3DC59E - Taken by maguskain. 2 entrants total.
Ionball 2 -- MB-01A58D7C854D835B
Heileen 2 -- MB-C5110CA38D7B7F4A - Taken by sensoft04. 4 entrants total.
Supreme Commander Gold -- MB-B829FB123CDA93F2 - Taken by <parameter: string>. 7 entrants total.
Kingdom Rush -- MB-777397B573E18819 - Taken by titch. 10 entrants total.
Amerzone the Explorers Legacy -- MB-1C7CF10D410D75DB - Taken by TheMadMan007. 2 entrants total.
Rhythm Destruction -- MB-92BBEE9FD35466DB - Taken by CrunchyFrog. 3 entrants total.
Scourge Outbreak Ambrosia -- MB-8F867E56FFD64326 - Taken by Ezalc. 3 entrants total.
Third Eye Crime -- MB-042A9C23501185FD - Taken by Last Baron. 8 entrants total.
Half Minute Hero Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy -- MB-A7544421B21C9AD2 - Taken by bkw. 17 entrants total.
Grimind -- MB-46557D09C39B015B - Taken by gaiadyne. 2 entrants total.

Skara the Blade Remains -- MB-6112DC787D8DBF69 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 7 entrants total.
Speed kills -- MB-8B616214D35B76ED - Taken by Benedict. 3 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-4DD5D79C11727966 - Taken by Popstar. 3 entrants total.
Dracula 2 The last Sanctuary -- MB-1287C496817958CB
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-99652315FE47F2B6
Viscera Cleanup Detail -- MB-84FA85A18C5CABE2 - Taken by MillionStabs. 16 entrants total.
Sacraboar -- MB-228BFD82FDED680D - Taken by Kurt Russell. 5 entrants total.
Gearcrack Arena -- MB-7256D717F06C4D4B
Master Reboot -- MB-EF9A455DB39C204E - Taken by TheTrain. 10 entrants total.
Planet Stronghold -- MB-9F8DE5388008A54D - Taken by SSPssp. 6 entrants total.
Nostradums the Last Prohecy -- MB-19E1D0A50D3666CA - Taken by BernardoOne. 2 entrants total.
The Cameron Files the Secret of Loch Ness -- MB-E27A7BF9079F6E28 - Taken by nja. 2 entrants total.
Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-FA1835630792E7DE - Taken by kudoboi. 6 entrants total.
Broken Sword Directors Cut -- MB-ED8045C1B3FA400F - Taken by Stumpokapow. 9 entrants total.
Penguins Arena Sednas World -- MB-53E936BDC1E99FD1
Broken Sword 2 -- MB-2EEDF14F62871C6D - Taken by Jables Swan. 6 entrants total.
Depth Hunter 2 -- MB-12992FCF4F3850C9 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 2 entrants total.

t1420422448z1.png

Tellaerin

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME3.

The only good that could come out of it (other than the Citadel DLC) is that you'll think a bit better of ME2.

Fitting thread.

To be fair, ME3 multiplayer is pretty godly, and still active on PC last I checked.

100% completion in ME1 and ME2

Still think ME3 is better than ME1.

I think ME1 is probably still my favorite, not least because it had character. As the series went on, the atmosphere shifted more and more toward "generic videogame sf", but the first game really nailed the feel of classic sf films from the late 70's and early 80's. Everything from the costume and mechanical designs to the Carpenter-ish synth soundtrack just felt like a love letter to that era. To me, that really counted for a lot.

Momentary

Banned
Man. Redux: Dark Matters is one trolling game. You go through the first 6 stages about to 1CC the whole game and then Stage 7 hits and it's like, "WELCOME TO THE 4TH OF JULY MOTHER FUCKER."

So many people using real pics, should I join?
I started mass effect not long ago. Made it to an ice world, found son building surrounded by guns. Wwhoo buddy, my crew is getting molly whopped in there.
If you are fighting against the Geth, bring more mates with tech power.
100% completion in ME1 and ME2

Still think ME3 is better than ME1.
Shooting wise, yes, everything else, not so much.
Guessing it's the drugged naked mission...
It was the huge purple dildo.

Turfster

I think ME1 is probably still my favorite, not least because it had character

The first ME gives you a whole new universe to explore and wonder at.
By the third, they just give you shit to shoot and all the sense of exploration and wonder has been strangled.

Huh, didn't notice that Dog Sled Saga left Greenlight and is now in Early Access.

The game is a bit basic, but it's super charming managing your sled team.

Fuck, I should have voted for MGR Revengeandence

yes you should have. For the nanomachines.

I had the most evil smirk when I decided to not include it. Reminds me when I left off Bioshock Infinite and put alien colonial marines instead.

some men just want to watch the world gone

A ton of SteamGAF people who don't own a WiiU got the thing anyway. We may consider it half steam :p

what

To be fair, ME3 multiplayer is pretty godly, and still active on PC last I checked.

Yes it is. I was glad to see a lot of the similarities in Dragon Age's MP. Hope they add more content though.

Parsnip

Gwyn left in my first Steamworks run. And I guess I should do bunch of stuff before I do that and move to NG+. Gotta upgrade some weapons, get all the slabs and stuff.

ExoSoul

Banned
So I've been watching some videos of Ziggurat because it caught my attention and OMG GIMMEH NOW!! *ahem* I like it very much and seems like a really fun game ^_^

My hidden gem of the sale so far is Savant, I did not expect it to have hidden depth and to enjoy it as much as I am.

Anything happen today so far? What did I miss?

So I've been watching some videos of Ziggurat because it caught my attention and OMG GIMMEH NOW!! *ahem* I like it very much and seems like a really fun game ^_^

My hidden gem of the sale so far is Savant, I did not expect it to have hidden depth and to enjoy it as much as I am.

Dang, have to move Savant up on my backlog then. I picked it up several months ago in a bundle, but haven't thought too much about it.

Momentary

Banned
Holy crap Dark Drive has really changed since when I last saw it. How did this game not get more support from their Kickstarter Campaign. I didn't even know there was one. I would have definitely supported this character action platfromer. Hot damn. It's sad that they didn't even get a tenth of what they were asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzjQw_69_Vo

D5B62DFA8B566F1BF689ACEC7FEAD6110EEAE9AD

Pachimari

Okay nope. I don't think I can participate in the 52 Games 1 Year Challenge.

I just really have to realize, that most games with a campaign isn't my style anymore. I never complete games, and the reason is probably, that I prefer neverending games.

Games like FIFA, Call of Duty (online) Minecraft and recently Hearthstone. Also mobile games like Crossy Roads, Flappy Bird, Solitaire and Texas Hold'em. All these games and more are games which never ends.

I have been enjoying Wolfenstein: The New Order for like 1 hour today and it have been real great, but I can already feel the fatigue coming in.

Miguel81

Holy crap Dark Drive has really changed since when I last saw it. How did this game not get more support from their Kickstarter Campaign. I didn't even know there was one. I would have definitely supported this character action platfromer. Hot damn. It's sad that they didn't even get a tenth of what they were asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzjQw_69_Vo#t=106

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3335218360739108217/D5B62DFA8B566F1BF689ACEC7FEAD6110EEAE9AD/[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'd never heard of this game. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Edit: A 2D Character Action/Shooter Metroidvania That's rad, and at the same time horribly depressing that the Kickstarter was unsuccessful.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
did anyone buy the dimmdrive thing?
Sorry for the wall of text, if you don't want to read my thoughts about dimmdrive, please skip this post.
I got it last year when Tim first advertised on /r/pcmasterrace. The design and features haven't changed much since then, and everyone who purchased early will be getting steam keys.
You want impressions?
(General info) and Impressions:
-I have never liked load screens or texture pop-in, this is usually due to slow read/write speeds on a hard drive or disk drive. Ram disks take excess ram on your system and make it into a temporary data drive, and with the high speed of ddr3 ram anything you load into that drive will have significantly shorter load times.
-Most ramdisks (free and paid) require you to move or copy your game/files to the disk and if you lose power any progress you made and any changes after loading the game onto the ramdisk are lost. That sucks.
-What's nice about dimmdrive is that it keeps a presync copy of your game on the original drive when using DD and changes to the files (saving, checkpoints) are saved back to the original.
-Another thing about ramdisks: generally moving files to a brand new drive would break file structures and make some applications require changes every time. To get around that you can make a symbolic link from the original file's location to the ramdisk for every file you moved, and if you want to take the time to make those when not using some other ramdisk you're free to do so, though you won't have backups of your saves if your system crashes/loses power.
-However, DD sorts through and lists your entire installed steam library within 10-15 seconds (for my 600+ library that's quite good), and all you have to do to select the games you want on DD is to click a toggle, and start the ramdisk (also a toggle).
-Want to add non-steam games? Click and drag onto the window.

So this is all positive so far, and I apologize for the wall of text for anyone who doesn't find this useful or interesting.
I'll bring up my cons about DD (though some are just limits for it to work properly):

-As yet Tim has not added a search bar to the list of steam games; since I have a larger library its a little annoying scrolling to find the game I want to load. He added favorites which is helpful but doesn't do much for you if its a new game you'd like to load.
-All games that you'd like to load have to be selected when you flip the toggle for the ramdisk. This is necessary so DD can make the symbolic links and link the backup to the DD copy to keep the data the same on the backup.
-Larger files will take longer to transfer to the ramdisk (makes sense). So tf2 takes 5 minutes to copy over. That kinda sucks, but when it loads I get 7 second server connections instead of 30+ seconds on the load screen, which is very nice. A 5 minute wait when I intend to play for over an hour is trivial.
-To fully load a game onto a ramdisk you need to have enough extra ram to hold it. I picked up 8gb sticks at various times so I saved on those and have 32gb, but many people don't. Laptops especially.

Fortunately, Tim included a less ram option.
What's that do? It let's you choose which files you want to put on the ramdisk if you don't have the space for the whole thing. For example: Wolfenstein TNO is MASSIVE. So I used less ram to load just the level I was on and the next few ahead plus engine files. You don't need to load things like pre-rendered cutscenes into memory since they're just videos.

In summary, DimmDrive is useful as a RamDisk but also because it offers several convenient features that the competition really hasn't. You don't need 20+ gb of ram to use DD, with "less ram" (descriptive but boring name) you can see improvements with even just 2 or 3 gb free. 8gb ram should be enough to use "less ram" DD and it makes a difference.
I am not a shill. I just like this product and the dev is not great at publicity nor with responding to the public. Personally I think his steam giftcards giveaway on reddit was a bad idea because it attracted a lot of attention from people who were instantly critical and seemed to need a feeling of superiority.
Again, sorry for the wall of text.

Finished with the first few missions and tutorial areas in Syndicate and I'm really enjoying it. I'm getting the most out of my $3.20 I spent on it through GMG.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gwyn left in my first Steamworks run. And I guess I should do bunch of stuff before I do that and move to NG+. Gotta upgrade some weapons, get all the slabs and stuff.

The grinding didn't take me too long and it felt damn good to wrap this up in my first run efficiently rather than dealing with it in NG+ like I did on GFWL.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to apologize for making an informed and detailed post. Write ups like those are appreciated.

Thanks. I'm trying not to stick out as a new guy, but being able to post is so freeing after the approval period.

Anyone have tips for Heavy Bullets? I'm having trouble getting past the 4th floor.

Thanks. I'm trying not to stick out as a new guy, but being able to post is so freeing after the approval period.

Anyone have tips for Heavy Bullets? I'm having trouble getting past the 4th floor.

Don't worry too much posting informative posts. They're good to read. Hopefully you'll pass the junior phase with no issue. Nice to have you here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom