• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Trails in the Sky. Amazing game. I will repeat my cry of 'fuck those missables." (Missing one mission point from the prologue really burns my ass, but what can you do.) And that cliffhanger...seriously, someone needs to light a fire under those translators. I know they've had their issues but damn, now I need to know what happens next!

Mozendo

Do you broskies do game nights anymore? I wanted to see if I could join SteamGAF play games since I have more free time, but I don't see the scheduled thread in the OP.

I'm having so much more fun playing Saints Row 4 on a platform that can actually run it. I regret even playing the PS3 version when it came out. 60fps is required for this game IMO.

Sch1sm

Okay nope. I don't think I can participate in the 52 Games 1 Year Challenge.

I just really have to realize, that most games with a campaign isn't my style anymore. I never complete games, and the reason is probably, that I prefer neverending games.

Games like FIFA, Call of Duty (online) Minecraft and recently Hearthstone. Also mobile games like Crossy Roads, Flappy Bird, Solitaire and Texas Hold'em. All these games and more are games which never ends.

I have been enjoying Wolfenstein: The New Order for like 1 hour today and it have been real great, but I can already feel the fatigue coming in.

If you read the OP it doesn't necessarily have to be a game with an ending. You decide when you're finished.

Pupo

Like... 100% Orange Juice? *runs away giggling*

Can anyone tell me how to set up a Risk of Rain co-op match?
This is the preemptive question to does anyone wanna have one with me in the future? :D

Hamachi for the online I guess.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I finished Final Fantasy XIII last night and played a few more (okay, 7) hours today doing a lot of the side-content that I missed. I unlocked 18/35 of the achievements but 12 of the remaining ones are going to take some serious grinding to unlock. There are 5 that I'm really close to getting so I'll probably button those up tomorrow.

I'm trying to decide if I want to jump right in to XIII-2, or move on to something else for a time.

xezuru

Like... 100% Orange Juice? *runs away giggling*

Can anyone tell me how to set up a Risk of Rain co-op match?
This is the preemptive question to does anyone wanna have one with me in the future? :D

You just need to know whoevers hosting's IP, then you join that.
If you want to be super jank and don't want to mess with router stuff, you can use a Fake LAN network like the program called Evolve and use the IP it gives you there to simulate cooping over a LAN network. (this works for most old Lan games played SWAT4 online without all their networks with this)

Khronico

I finished Final Fantasy XIII last night and played a few more (okay, 7) hours today doing a lot of the side-content that I missed. I unlocked 18/35 of the achievements but 12 of the remaining ones are going to take some serious grinding to unlock. There are 5 that I'm really close to getting so I'll probably button those up tomorrow.

I'm trying to decide if I want to jump right in to XIII-2, or move on to something else for a time.

What did you think of it? Worth the time investment?

I'd love to play FFXIII but I get constant framerate drops =|

user237

Two Worlds and Two Worlds II got cards!

They decided to go all out and make both sets 15 cards.

So of course they already worth 5 cents.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What did you think of it? Worth the time investment?

I'd love to play FFXIII but I get constant framerate drops =|

It was one of my favorite games that was released last year on Steam. I only ever made it through chapter 6 on the PS3 version, so releasing on Steam was the kick in the pants I needed to get started on it again. The last half of the game was SOO much better than the first half, in my opinion. I have 42 hours in the game now (it took me about 35 hours to finish the main game) and I absolutely loved it. If you're a Final Fantasy fan and you haven't played XIII yet, now is the time.

Grief.exe

It was one of my favorite games that was released last year on Steam. I only ever made it through chapter 6 on the PS3 version, so releasing on Steam was the kick in the pants I needed to get started on it again. The last half of the game was SOO much better than the first half, in my opinion. I have 42 hours in the game now (it took me about 35 hours to finish the main game) and I absolutely loved it. If you're a Final Fantasy fan and you haven't played XIII yet, now is the time.

I'm so close to getting to the good part too, just need to get over that last bit before the game supposedly opens up a bit.

autoduelist

--------------------------
Steam gaf, I got this in a chat:

Never tell your password to anyone.
[unassigned]: Hi.I want to trade with you this item http:/XXXXXXXXXXXXX_3901.png

My gut says delete this user from my friends list and never click on that link, but for some reason I seem to remember a user name winning something on modbot recently with a name like that ( I think someone commented on it, which is why I think I remember them), so thought they were a gaffer when they added me a couple days ago.

Sch1sm

[unassigned]: Hi.I want to trade with you this item http:/XXXXXXXXXXXXX_3901.png

My gut says delete this user from my friends list and never click on that link, but for some reason I seem to remember a user name winning something on modbot recently with a name like that ( I think someone commented on it, which is why I think I remember them), so thought they were a gaffer when they added me a couple days ago.

There's been this phishing scam going around, and it masquerades as legitimate links, even google docs ones. I wouldn't touch it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

You're thinking of <parameter: string>. Accounts with "[unassigned]" as their Steam Community name are all bots that haven't been given proper usernames (well, there are undoubtedly a few actual people who have it as their name as a joke, but I digress).

RedFyn

a.baa-It-Wasnt-Me-I-Swear.jpg

Lomax

^^^^^^^^^^^ that cat looks pretty damn guilty if you ask me

Be sure to report them for phishing in addition to blocking them in order to speed up the process of them being banned.

ExoSoul

Banned

That's a bot that'll direct you to a page with a URL similar to steam's community URL but when you log in it'll take your info, it's a current method of scamming. I suggest removing that person from your friends list.

autoduelist

You're thinking of <parameter: string>. Accounts with "[unassigned]" as their name are all bots that haven't been given proper usernames (well, there are undoubtedly a few actual people who have it as their name as a joke, but I digress).

Ah, that's it. Deleting user from my friends list. Thanks! Even had that been a gaffer, looked more like phishing than anything else anyway so I'd have assumed they'd been hijacked.

Thanks!

Articalys

So yeah, played a bit of Hexcells and it's pretty great. Had to flip the controls but after that it's real nice. The couple reviews I read even understated how clean the audiovisual presentation is.

ExoSoul

Banned
Hamachi for the online I guess.
You just need to know whoevers hosting's IP, then you join that.
If you want to be super jank and don't want to mess with router stuff, you can use a Fake LAN network like the program called Evolve and use the IP it gives you there to simulate cooping over a LAN network. (this works for most old Lan games played SWAT4 online without all their networks with this)
I'm not very computer savvy
yay for drug induced memory wipes! :D
so all this does is scare me away from trying it, sadly :(
that and getting past the second boss

Momentary

Banned
Nuclear Throne is going to be an awesome game when it finally gets completed. It's ridiculously hard though... until you get the shovel plus the melee extension mutation. I'm probably going to hold off on playing for a while like I did with Broforce. I want to actually enjoy the whole finished product.

xezuru

I'm not very computer savvy
yay for drug induced memory wipes! :D
so all this does is scare me away from trying it, sadly :(
that and getting past the second boss

The Evolve thing is a backup, if you just find whoever's hosting and they go to whatismyIP or some similar website you would be able to join the IP the host gives you.
*Some games will fail this if the host's router's ports are not open. Evolve bypasses this.

I dislike Hamachi because of security (this may have changed if they updated it)
but I highly recommend the Evolve platform for these similar purposes up ahead.

Games that have LAN support even older games like Rainbow Six Vegas2, you just create a party with a friend, and once you're in a party it will emulate a LAN network (online).

It'll give you all a new IP (which would be roughly the same) which it would let you right click and copy.

At this point in whatever game you're playing, you get someone to host in-game, and people just join by copying their IP and joining it usually through direct join or some direct IP thing in-game.

_hekk05

Banned
5 more days until I can nekopara. You losers who turn down the breast physics obviously have never touched DOA or Nep Nep.

I also missed issac rebirth and carpe fulgur collection since I ran out of money. Hopefully carpe fulgur comes back soon.

Hamachi is ancient and was the shit back in the day. Lots of nostalgia

Beelzebubs

5 more days until I can nekopara. You losers who turn down the breast physics obviously have never touched DOA or Nep Nep.

I also missed issac rebirth and carpe fulgur collection since I ran out of money. Hopefully carpe fulgur comes back soon.

Hamachi is ancient and was the shit back in the day. Lots of nostalgia

But Carpe Fulgur collection still on deal for another 24+ hours.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played through Max: The Curse of Brotherhood over the last few days. It's a puzzle platformer by Press Play, who you'll probably remember from their earlier game Max and the Magic Marker and probably won't remember from their Windows Phone exclusive Tentacles. This game originally debuted on Xbox One and later got Xbox 360 and PC ports. It's basically a physics driven puzzle platformer. You're a kid, Max, searching for his lost brother. You have a magic marker--if this is starting to sound like Max and the Magic Marker, I assure you it has nothing to do with that game and is definitely a way better game--that can activate environmental puzzles. As you go through the game, the marker gets more powers: at first it can raise columns out of the dirt to lift you up. Then it gains the ability to grow branches and vines. Then geysers of water which you can direct in any direction. Then finally to shoot fireballs at enemies. You can only use these powers at specific marked, glowing points in the ground and you have a limited amount of "ink" for each. If you don't like what you've drawn you can make it crumble. Branches can be cut off and pushed around, vines can be hooked onto branches or pillars. So a lot of the game is sort of self-contained puzzle rooms using these elemental powers, sometimes in a sort of non-linear way. One very cool room has you grow a hooked shape branch, cut the branch off, push the branch of the edge of a cliff so that the long part hangs off and the hooked part stays on, connect a vine from the bottom of the cliff to the branch, disconnect the vine from the cliff--and then when it swings past the branch, jump off the cliff and catch the vine. The branch is still hanging on the cliff, and you swing on the vine and jump off to make it to your destination. There are some good brainteasers, although most rooms didn't take me more than a few tries. I'd also add that for a physics based game, the physics are surprisingly solid, I very rarely had trouble with stuff being finicky in any way.

What doesn't work as well is these periodic chase sequences where you're forced to run away from a big monster while activating the environmental powers. These sequences are often very reflex based, and certainly precision based. It's extremely annoying when you miss a jump by a milimeter and respawn like 5 seconds before that jump. It's basically a QTE rather than a puzzle. In many cases the game recognizes that the control scheme can't even perform and so slows down time while these QTEs are occurring. I think this should have been something that made them reconsider how heavily they lean on the chase sequences.

Which reminds me of the controls. You control Max with the analogue stick. You hold the right trigger to take out the marker, which basically becomes a giant cursor. While holding right trigger you use the analogue stick to move the cursor. If you're above an environmental interaction point you can hold A and move the marker to draw. You slash through a drawing with X to detach it. The game tries to make things go faster by having sort of "sticky" points where if you start using the marker it'll be drawn to the nearest interaction point. This doesn't quite work, particularly on screens with four or five interaction points. I don't know if the game has KBM controls, I never checked.

The game has maybe 20 levels which I think would take about 5-6 hours to complete. There are around 100 collectibles which take maybe another 2-3 hours. Then there are achievements for beating certain levels without dying--these are far harder. I spent 9 hours to 100% the game. If you miss a collectible, you can easily see which one (by pausing you see an ordered list of dots for the collectibles in the level, so you can easily see if you missed the second or fourth or whatever). You can replay any previous level. You can quit mid-level and resume from the nearest checkpoint.

In general I'd say the game is worth a playthrough and better than Max and the Magic Marker, which I thought sucked hard. I'm not sure I'd pay $15 for this game. It was occasionally frustrating. I feel like it's a high 7 low 8 meaning good but not great. It's not a must buy. But if you want a cute mid-length physics puzzle platformer, this is a pretty good choice. I do feel like it's been a little overlooked, in part because MS doesn't give a shit about PC, in part because they screwed around with the launch timing, and in part because reception hasn't been hot enough for the game to go viral. It's a pity, because I think it deserves a little better than it got.

The dev's next game, Kalimba, launches in February or so.

Nabs

I ended up liking Max: TCoB, but it started off pretty rough. I think my biggest issue was having to wait until I had all of the marker powers. I ended up having a good time with the back half of the game.

ExoSoul

Banned
How do I play Nuclear Throne?
Chose a character and brave the wasteland, kill baddies for nuclear waste and when you get enough to level up you can choose a mutation. When you kill all baddies in a floor a wormhole will open and suck you up to the next floor, keep progressing to reach the nuclear throne. On the way you'll find different weapons and weapon types and also different baddies.
Make that post apocalyptic wasteland even more wastelandish! :D

Edit: I'm guessing this wasn't useful at all...

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Is Winter time, in This War of Mine, hard mode or some shit? The constant between the flu, raiders, and the snow blocking passage everywhere is making me do some terrible shit to survive.

Momentary

Banned
I wonder how many people have voted for STEAM's GOTY. I haven't seen people's lists. I didn't show mine, but there were others posting theirs initially.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jase, did you manage to grab sZone Online? It was? Is? A Russian language only MMO that's free elsewhere but costed $1 on Steam. I think it was only available for a day, maybe not even. If you didn't get it you should try to buy a copy off someone ASAP. Not sure if it's going to be restored.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Chose a character and brave the wasteland, kill baddies for nuclear waste and when you get enough to level up you can choose a mutation. When you kill all baddies in a floor a wormhole will open and suck you up to the next floor, keep progressing to reach the nuclear throne. On the way you'll find different weapons and weapon types and also different baddies.
Make that post apocalyptic wasteland even more wastelandish! :D

Edit: I'm guessing this wasn't useful at all...

Saoirse-Ronan-on-the-Graham-Norton-Show-Gifs-saoirse-ronan-33884572-160-160.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom