• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenmangaming has always been horrible. Even buying from them is a bad experience. Top it off they actually also region block. lol
I once bought Binding of Isaac from GMG but realized soon after that is not a steam key. Send customer support a message and got the money back as credit in a matter of hours.

I think it depends on the game type maybe even price?

KingKong

Greenmangaming can fuck off.

Wtym7Y6.png

I didn't ask them to change their policy.

weird, I accidentally bought FC4 from them which was Uplay only less than a day before it was coming out and I got a refund

What are you talking about? Multiplayer is soooo much better than boring old single player. Who doesn't like to be constantly irritated by other players while you try to complete a otherwise simple task?

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the invasion aspect of Dark Souls multiplayer. I'm more a fan of jolly co-operation.

Tbh after dying at the tutorial I never went human up until the two Gargoyles. I spent maybe only about three hours as human after that but I wasn't invaded even once.

This was the first time I went human as well, and probably the last for a while. Fuck that.

To add on to this, the game does limit who you can be invaded by based on Soul Level, but it does nothing to prevent someone who went through the whole game as a Soul Level 1, has all of their equipment upgraded to the max, and is using spells and equipment you don't have access to at the early parts of the game, from invading you at the early parts of the game.

This is why DS2 added a "soul memory" system for matching people for online play, but frankly that system just introduced more problems.

Soul Memory was an improvement, it was just a half assed implementation. Spent souls would have been a better metric versus souls gained. You can be terribad at the game and still have a 1 mil soul memory.

Or assign values to equipment and handle it that way. Probably needs a combination of a few things to really be ideal.

Deitus

Soul Memory was an improvement, it was just a half assed implementation. Spent souls would have been a better metric versus souls gained. You can be terribad at the game and still have a 1 mil soul memory.

Or assign values to equipment and handle it that way. Probably needs a combination of a few things to really be ideal.

Oh, I agree it was a needed fix, but the execution was deeply flawed. It did address the problem of low level people getting invaded by gankers with strong gear, but in the process it broke matchmaking for everyone else in the game, for both PVP and co-op. And anyway, the way they implemented invading in that game, no one ever gets invaded on a first playthrough anyway outside of the designated covenant PVP zones, so it just seems kind of pointless.

Oh, I agree it was a needed fix, but the execution was deeply flawed. It did address the problem of low level people getting invaded by gankers with strong gear, but in the process it broke matchmaking for everyone else in the game, for both PVP and co-op. And anyway, the way they implemented invading in that game, no one ever gets invaded on a first playthrough anyway outside of the designated covenant PVP zones, so it just seems kind of pointless.

Basically. I also think its possible to be invade more in the Belfrey's than the rest of the game combined in your first playthrough.

Soul Memory basically 'punishes' you for playing the game if you want to do co-op with some bros.

Turfster

Rockstar decided that the Chinese can no longer buy GTA V as a gift.

So much for communism.

Silly F.3.A.R
Turned off controller, but "controller vibration" was still turned on somehow...

Also, I heard it was bad, but man... I guess the conversion to stupid cookie cutter console shootmans was completed in this part of the trilogy, huh.

Zafir

So huh... Can I simply buy a game on the Chinese steam page or I need to do something special?

You'd need to find a Chinese trader, and they'd need to do the cart switching trick.

Good luck finding that though. I gave up trying to find one before it required cart swapping and it was tedious.

Megasoum

Banned
You'd need to find a Chinese trader, and they'd need to do the cart switching trick.

Good luck finding that though. I gave up trying to find one before it required cart swapping and it was tedious.

Well crap. That Talos Principle price is really nice.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Basically. I also think its possible to be invade more in the Belfrey's than the rest of the game combined in your first playthrough.

This. It felt like a giant bullseye on a new player. It was the first area I was invaded in and it took me probably 15 to 20 runs just to get through that small section without being invaded. One particular player stalked and invaded me 4 or 5 times. Surprised myself that I kept playing after that frustrating turn of events.

HoosTrax

omg...I just reached the last event of the Ibiza Cup in TDU2...and it's a 74 mile tour of the island. My car is a WRX STI and it goes about 140mph average on highways, much lower in the urban areas and off road. This is looking like a 40 minute race in realtime -_-. As if that isn't bad enough, I already have enough Championship points in the previous events to have the cup clinched, but I still need to finish this event.

Not even the 24 hours minutes of Le Mans event in GRID1 was this long.

omg...I just reached the last event of the Ibiza Cup in TDU2...and it's a 74 mile tour of the island. My car is a WRX STI and it goes about 140mph average on highways, much lower in the urban areas and off road. This is looking like a 40 minute race in realtime -_-. As if that isn't bad enough, I already have enough Championship points in the previous events to have the cup clinched, but I still need to finish this event.

Not even the 24 hours minutes of Le Mans event in GRID1 was this long.

hire a backup driver

Z2Htg3O.jpg

Turfster

Never play F.3.A.R. right after you've played 1 or 2.
This is the sad, heart-breaking decline of the shooter after the console tardification has gotten its claws into it.
Shitty cover mechanics, regenerating health, 2 fucking weapons, meaningless "ranks", shitty lowres CGI FMV cutscenes instead of everything done in engine...
This is a travesty.

This. It felt like a giant bullseye on a new player. It was the first area I was invaded in and it took me probably 15 to 20 runs just to get through that small section without being invaded. One particular player stalked and invaded me 4 or 5 times. Surprised myself that I kept playing after that frustrating turn of events.

Yup.

But being on the other side of that is probably the most fun I had in the game. Bell Bros 4 lyfe.

Don't know which region you guys are playing but the only time I was human I saw a summon sign of another human player and he helped me out like a boss against the church gargoyles.

Dark Souls 2 Bell towers

^^ Oh DS2? No comment then.
Don't know which region you guys are playing but the only time I was human I saw a summon sign of another human player and he helped me out like a boss against the church gargoyles.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Yup.

But being on the other side of that is probably the most fun I had in the game. Bell Bros 4 lyfe.

Dark Souls 2 Bell towers

^^ Oh DS2? No comment then.

Sorry, I was referring to DS 1 in the church area heading to the Gargoyles. At the time I played that area, it was nonstop invasions. I even stopped playing for hours at a time only to be hit with more invasions as soon as I would come back. As a new Dark Souls player (and not having played Demon's Souls) with a mish mash of whatever beginner gear I had found, it was quite the metaphorical wall to run into.

Edit: Even with summoning help from other players, the invasions didn't stop.

Has Rockstar come out and said even the steam version won't have steamworks this time around like their other games? Page doesn't mention achievements now but it's sometimes added before release.

Teeth

Sorry, I was referring to DS 1 in the church area heading to the Gargoyles. At the time I played that area, it was nonstop invasions. I even stopped playing for hours at a time only to be hit with more invasions as soon as I would come back. As a new Dark Souls player (and not having played Demon's Souls) with a mish mash of whatever beginner gear I had found, it was quite the metaphorical wall to run into.

Edit: Even with summoning help from other players, the invasions didn't stop.

This doesn't sound too right. There is a cool off period after being invaded. Once you've been invaded, you get like 20+ minutes where you can't be invaded again (unless you use the crooked finger).

You can abuse this tactic in the Bell towers too...just run in and get killed, then run up to the gargoyles while you're on cool down.

It looks like Nuuvem is the cheapest if you don't care about it being on steam. If you do care, it appears you will have to pay full price.

Looks like I'm waiting until GTA6 comes out to pick this up.

I'm alright with this.

edit : based Dunder comes through like a boss

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has Rockstar come out and said even the steam version won't have steamworks this time around like their other games? Page doesn't mention achievements now but it's sometimes added before release.

I keep shaking my Rockstar Magic 8-ball and it keeps coming up "fuck you."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does that mean you could still use that old trick to buy the RoW version at the Chinese price?

Not sure how that trick worked honestly.

Yeah, that's precisely what I asked Dunder to do and he came through. <3 Looks like R* still hasn't added China and India as purchase-restricted countries, so if you have Dunder on your friends list or can otherwise find a Chinese trader willing to do the trick, then you can still get yourself a ROW copy on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom