• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

XShagrath

it's an interesting thing too cos i really have to wonder, what would happen if it's fun? will it being completely morally rotten and deprived of any sort of attractiveness break that? what if its mechanics are great but simply killing people is so disgusting you don't feel like playing it?
Theme definitely plays into what most people think of a game, and even the best mechanics can't get past that. I had to read a paper for class this week talking about this, and they mentioned a game called "Genocide Tetris." It had the exact same mechanics as regular Tetris (an absolute classic), but instead of the abstract blocks, you were throwing Jews into a gas chamber. Now, obviously this is going to disgust just about everyone out there, but the game plays exactly the same. If things were only about mechanics, then it wouldn't make a difference.

Chariot

Why do I feel like this same discussion was had not that long ago?
I guess it was probably when cat paradise was released.
Yeah, we had. But now it got an interesting new point, with Hatred as the potential first AO game on steam.

As peopel said, doesn't mean that explicit sex would be suddenly ok, but it would open room for discussion.

zkylon

zkylewd
Theme definitely plays into what most people think of a game, and even the best mechanics can't get past that. I had to read a paper for class this week talking about this, and they mentioned a game called "Genocide Tetris." It had the exact same mechanics as regular Tetris (an absolute classic), but instead of the abstract blocks, you were throwing Jews into a gas chamber. Now, obviously this is going to disgust just about everyone out there, but the game plays exactly the same. If things were only about mechanics, then it wouldn't make a difference.
oh yeah, that's from raph koster's theory of fun, which is a very good read. raph koster is like the most beautifulest amazing game designer, so seriously try reading the rest of the book

anyways, what's interesting about hatred is that it's essentially a real life genocide tetris social experiment

how will people like it? will the enthusiast press review it? will it become the new bad rats?

Kabouter

it's an interesting thing too cos i really have to wonder, what would happen if it's fun? will it being completely morally rotten and deprived of any sort of attractiveness break that? what if its mechanics are great but simply killing people is so disgusting you don't feel like playing it?

If it's mechanically competent it would still not appeal to me in any way whatsoever. As noted earlier in the thread, theme matters in a game, and this game crosses the line of what I can tolerate in media to such a degree that I can't imagine not loathing it.

Ehh I'm pretty sure the devs aren't neo-nazis. They've said as much.
While I can't judge whether they are or aren't, this is not a good indicator regardless. Golden Dawn denies they're Neo Nazis as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
If it's mechanically competent it would still not appeal to me in any way whatsoever. As noted earlier in the thread, theme matters in a game, and this game crosses the line of what I can tolerate in media to such a degree that I can't imagine not loathing it.
yeah i find myself in a similar position (i found the trailer itself to be pretty unsettling) but i wonder how it'll do with less sensitive people?

i find it interesting already how many hurdles it has to go through to even be up for purchase and some of the questions it's raised

now picture it having hotline miami levels of polished gameplay lol

think of the possibilities!

As a game concept, brutally murdering helpless civilians doesn't exactly sound like thrilling gameplay. I doubt they are on to something.

i think the idea is that the game rates you on your helpless civilians killing, but throws cops and swat and fbi and military and whatnot to stop you, so there should lie the entertainment i guess

it's supposed to be like a gta thing i guess? you start running over pedestrians and then the game turns into all out war against tanks and helicopters and swat teams and shit

XShagrath

oh yeah, that's from raph koster's theory of fun, which is a very good read. raph koster is like the most beautifulest amazing game designer, so seriously try reading the rest of the book.
I'm not huge into design (I'm a programmer), so the paper I was reading only had that little excerpt in it. Our current textbook is the "Book of Lenses," which seems to be highly regarded.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not huge into design (I'm a programmer), so the paper I was reading only had that little excerpt in it. Our current textbook is the "Book of Lenses," which seems to be highly regarded.

like of most big game design textbooks i've heard good and bad things

a theory of fun is really short and has cute drawings in it and is a lot about life as much as it is about game design

and i just love hearing raph koster talk <3

Chariot

Ehh I'm pretty sure the devs aren't neo-nazis. They've said as much.

And I'll play it if the game's good.
Ha. You should come to europe, where the majority of neo-nazis claim to no be nazis.

i think the idea is that the game rates you on your helpless civilians killing, but throws cops and swat and fbi and military and whatnot to stop you, so there should lie the entertainment i guess

it's supposed to be like a gta thing i guess? you start running over pedestrians and then the game turns into all out war against tanks and helicopters and swat teams and shit
As far as I can see, it's to kill as many people you can get before you are killed yourself. I saw in the trailer that you were in someone elses house and in the supermarket. You break into other peoples life and slaughter them and that is all what it is about. The trailer really showcased that the focus lies on killing unarmed people who pledge for their lifes.

edit:

Annnd the thread closed.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I found out you can cheese the Capra Demon by throwing shit at him from outside the gate. I'm ok with this. Shitty boss.

not enough jiggling. I'm disappointed.

Happy Birthday.
Capra Demon can be cheesed in multiple ways. If you are a magic user you can enter go up the stairs and move to the left side and then spam magic until you see The Capra Demon is about to jump at you to which all you do is jump down, go up the stairs and back to the position you were spamming magic. Shooting from the outside works too obviously but that's no fun.
As for jiggle...
giphy.gif

Capra Demon can be cheesed in multiple ways. If you are a magic user you can enter go up the stairs and move to the left side and then spam magic until you see The Capra Demon is about to jump at you to which all you do is jump down, go up the stairs and back to the position you were spamming magic. Shooting from the outside works too obviously but that's no fun.
As for jiggle...

This tactic also works for melee, at least if you use a halbred.

untitled-2.png

Mr. Doop

Bit.Trip Runner 2 is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time and all of you guys who haven't played it yet should do so right now.

L.O.R.D

something weird is going on with steam page and firefox
its keep crashing every time i open any steam forum page
maybe because of enhanced steam ?

I just finished my second game this year, Cosmic DJ. The game is pretty short but I enjoyed every minute I spend with it and now I want more games where you can create your own music. The story is exaggerated and silly, the villain destroyed the Jamtennas that bring good vibes to all universe and you must fix using the POWER OF MUSIC! Each Jamtenna has 4 levels and after the last level the game mix the music you made into a single track while you create the album cover, though it doesn't offer the option to save the track for the last "boss fight".

Besides the story mode there is also a Quick Play mode that IMO could be a lot better if you were able to freely choose the instruments you want.

If anyone want to listen to the music I made quote it to reveal the soundcloud link

Bit.Trip Runner 2 is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time and all of you guys who haven't played it yet should do so right now.

Did you play the first?

I ask because after Runner, Runner 2 felt like starting the game all over again, considering the game doesn't start out any harder really than the start of the first game, but we're better than that now. I ended up cutting it short.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is Gamestop we're taking about. xD Something tells me they won't.

Unless they've had a history of honouring misprices anyway.

I wouldn't expect it to be honoured if the mistake was at GameStop's end, which I would assume to be the case since to the best of my knowledge Steam is rather unique in how it offers publishers complete and instant control over availability, pricing, and so on. GS would have to pay the difference for every copy sold, which would add up to a pretty penny very quickly at $9 per sale (70% of $20 is $14, minus the $5 that people pledged).

Turfster

GetGames is having a Strategy sale
  • Overlord Franchise 75% off
  • Endless Space Franchise 50% off
  • Civilization IV-V 75% off
  • Civilization:BE 40% off
  • Stronghold 3 Gold 75% off
  • Battleplan American Civil War 25% off
  • Future Wars 75% off
  • Horizon 75% off
  • Maelstrom 75% off
  • Pixel Puzzles UndeadZ 50% off
  • Robo Wars 25% off
  • Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum 75% off
  • Rover Rescue 50% off
  • Showtime 25% off
  • Simcity 4 75% off
All the "mac" keys should be steamplay

XShagrath

I wouldn't expect it to be honoured if the mistake was at GameStop's end, which I would assume to be the case since to the best of my knowledge Steam is rather unique in how it offers publishers complete and instant control over availability, pricing, and so on. GS would have to pay the difference for every copy sold, which would add up to a pretty penny very quickly at $15 per sale.
...And I don't see why a dev would care if GS had to pay them the same amount regardless. Now, if Deep Silver only gets a percentage based on the price, that's a different story.

I don't see how a developer would have any control over what a B&M store (albeit their website) prices something at.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
...And I don't see why a dev would care if GS had to pay them the same amount regardless. Now, if Deep Silver only gets a percentage based on the price, that's a different story.

The potential issue isn't the developer/publisher; it's GameStop's willingness to pay up. The de facto standard cut when it comes to DD is 30%/70% (retailer/publisher).

I don't see how a developer would have any control over what a B&M store (albeit their website) prices something at.

Game executables and CD keys are provided for free, not purchased like physical stock. That's why availability, pricing and participation in sales* are all ultimately dictated by the publisher.

* A retailer can reduce its own cut in an effort to offer a more compelling price, as Amazon did frequently in 2012/2013.

Mr. Doop

Did you play the first?

I ask because after Runner, Runner 2 felt like starting the game all over again, considering the game doesn't start out any harder really than the start of the first game, but we're better than that now. I ended up cutting it short.

I beat the first one on perfect difficulty. I thought the end of the first runner game was just really frustrating.

XShagrath

The potential issue isn't the developer/publisher; it's GameStop's willingness to pay up.
Gotcha.

They could always take GameStop to court if they didn't pay the agreed amount. They'd probably make more money that way anyways. I hadn't planned on buying it until it was $5. That number just came up pretty damned fast.

If Gamestop isn't going to honor the sale (which I'm not expecting them to) I would rather they go ahead and just void it out now and not wait until Tuesday to say "Oops, our bad" and make people lose out on the pre-order bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom