• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

I don't expect GameStop to acceptl Gat out of Hell pre-orderers. That would be a kick in the nuts to everyone who have boguht the game elsewhere for full price.

Lomax

If Gamestop isn't going to honor the sale (which I'm not expecting them to) I would rather they go ahead and just void it out now and not wait until Tuesday to say "Oops, our bad" and make people lose out on the pre-order bonuses

It seems likely that the only chance they will honor it is if it doesn't get corrected by Tuesday and the system automatically sends the keys out at that point, that might make them feel obligated to let people keep it. But we've seen games revoked before of course. I can only assume at this point the reason it is still available is the holiday weekend. My guess is Tuesday morning the orders will all be cancelled.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gotcha.

They could always take GameStop to court if they didn't pay the agreed amount. They'd probably make more money that way anyways. I hadn't planned on buying it until it was $5. That number just came up pretty damned fast.

Since we're talking about keys, if GS doesn't want to honour the mistake, either Deep Silver just doesn't provide them (if none have been handed out) or they're blacklisted at Valve's end (if GS is already sitting on some). We saw a similar situation recently with Temple of Osiris on GamersGate: the Season Pass edition was discounted by a fair bit and all orders were later refunded and keys revoked from accounts.

I imagine the Gamestop mistake happened because this weekend they are doing a 75% off sale on all Saints Row PC downloads and someone literally put ALL of it on sale...Gat included.

This reminds me of a screwup that Circuit City did a while back. I was looking for a stereo to buy and found one that was normally around $100-$120. It was supposed to be $10 off but they messed up and had it as $10 total. I bought it and the shipping was more than I paid for the stereo.

Ban Puncher

no6kU.gif

SlgwXaz.gif

Jawmuncher

Since we're talking about keys, if GS doesn't want to honour the mistake, either Deep Silver just doesn't provide them (if none have been handed out) or they're blacklisted at Valve's end (if GS is already sitting on some). We saw a similar situation recently with Temple of Osiris on GamersGate: the Season Pass edition was discounted by a fair bit and all orders were later refunded and keys revoked from accounts.

GameStop hasn't given out any keys yet though. If anything the orders will be cancelled before anything goes out.
Also gamersgate this far is the only store I know of revoking keys. Haven't heard anything from other stores aside from stuff like hacking or something.

JaseC

GameStop hasn't given out any keys yet though. If anything the orders will be cancelled before anything goes out.

That was in response to what Deep Silver can do if GS doesn't want to pay. There's no need for legal action since Deep Silver has control over the product.

Also gamersgate this far is the only store I know of revoking keys. Haven't heard anything from other stores aside from stuff like hacking or something.

GMG mistakenly discounted Warlock 2 by 75% shortly after release due to a franchise sale and those keys were revoked.

Damn. Steam gaffers be rich. So many bought GTAV already.
-
The add-on Los Cuervos is pwyw starting at $0
http://nihilocrat.itch.io/los-cuervos
Does buying that for 50cents will give a steam key in the future as well?
I realise you're joking but, come to think of it, GAF is actually due for new mods. The last round of promotions was a little more than a year ago.
I would like to become a mod, give me a baller tag, then immediately resign of my post :3
Welp. Just ordered gtx970 Asus STRIX version. And figured that I should bump up my ram to 16gb while I was at it.
Good thing there aren''t any new games I need to buy in the near future because, you know, money.
Woah. That is awesome! So jelly happy for you ;)
What CPU you have?
I found out you can cheese the Capra Demon by throwing shit at him from outside the gate. I'm ok with this. Shitty boss.
Capra Demon is maybe the easiest boss! Attacks are very telling. His shoulder movement is giving him away
no one's gonna get this :/
He leaves plenty of time during attack ramp-up for dodging.

FYI he becomes a regular enemy later in the game, so you better get used to fighting him ;)

No one took these in the other thread so if anyone is interested

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Evolve Steam Beta (one) -- MB-424AD3E33028E878 - Taken by Capt.Haddock
Evolve Steam Beta (two) -- MB-93EBB3D5F5242E2D - Taken by XShagrath

Knurek

Damn, I wish I could afford a 970
And if I could afford a 970 I wish I could afford a case which could fit that in.
I had massive problems trying to fit my 750TI.
Oh well, knowing me, I'd spend most of my gaming time with 970 doing some Visual Novels or Unity puzzle/adventure games...
Still, a 970 would be nice to have

Grief.exe

And if I could afford a 970 I wish I could afford a case which could fit that in.
Oh well, knowing me, I'd spend most of my gaming time with 970 doing some Visual Novels or Unity puzzle/adventure games...

If you have access to a dremel, or similar tool, you can potentially remove some drive cages to accommodate larger cards. Obviously, this is an extremely circumstantial option.

I have the Gigabyte 970 and it is the largest card I have ever seen.

dani_dc

Start saving money now and you'll have enough to buy it by the time the 1070 is around.
And then you buy that instead.

I'm starting to wish I didn't buy a 970 and a PSU to go with it... I've been trying to re-ignite my passion for games for a long time with little if any success. I thought maybe having a gaming PC and getting into Steam would do it, but after 2 months of owning it I still haven't played a single game for any significant length of time and I'm struggling to force myself to do so. And I have all the free time in the world. It's sad. I'm thinking maybe I should sell it and cut my losses :(

That's weird because I have a 750Ti now, and it was actually smaller than my previous card. I'm looking in my tower thinking I have so much room for activities now.

JaseC

Zotac's standard 970 and its first-tier overclocked edition are small-form. Using the PCI-E connector as an indicator of length, you can see in this pic that there's not much to the actual PCB of the 970 and Zotac's cooler overshoots it by just a few centimetres or so:

Tecl0n

the Zotac ones are quite small compared to others.

EDIT: Damn you.

Zafir

I'm glad I got a 970. My old 660TI probably wouldn't have been able to handle a lot of recent games at my monitors resolution(1440p) without dropping a lot of settings.

The MSI wasn't any bigger than my old 660TI. Don't know how big the 750TI is, though.

My Let's Play of Space Beast Terror Fright
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxoCpw9JLJw

Quick Impressions: This game is on Greenlight right now. It's a FPS Alienslike Roguelike. Procedurally generated levels and permadeath. The levels are grid based. You need to get all the datacores to get your upgrades and do X before you can escape. Pretty scary. First LP that I had a webcam on. Figure it's a horror game.​
This looks really awesome. Very tense. I like it.
My Let's Play of Pushcat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx1a5jLAzlY

Quick Impressions: Excellent mashup. Sokoban + Match Three. I'm super burned out on Match3s but when there are additional mechanics on top of the game, I'll play them. Objective it to match 3 (or 4 of 5) to get coins. But instead of just moving individual tiles around, you move entire rows or small subsets. Coins and the character impede falling blocks which is where some of the tricky parts come in.
So you can collect coins but then doing so means blocks fall behind you as you collect more, thus trapping you and having a fail state. Alternatively, other levels have chasms that colored blocks can fall through, so just pushing blocks haphazardly will result in not getting enough coins to unlock the level. Another fail state.
There isn't that much to the music, but what is there is nice and loops well. Really enjoyed this puzzle game.​
My Let's Play of JumpJet Rex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rTteCqHmcU

Quick Impressions: This Early Access game is for NES fans. Megaman inspired parts here and there as well as Battle Toads. Jumpjet Rex plays like neither of them. It's along the lines of a skill-based platformer but with a heavy NES platforming mindframe. Local Multi available only right now. Animation work is SUPERB and Music is pretty damn good as well.​
I only have a single code for Jumpjet Rex to giveaway. I'll do it 3PM Eastern
Never was a fan of push-puzzlers or platformers but JumJet Rex looks pretty solid I have to say.

Have any cool sandbox y games released lately?

I've been playing robocraft, the reassembly and a bit of craft the world lately and it's been really relaxing and enjoyable to just build stuff and see how well it works in the game.

Looking for something similar to these (I had no idea about robocraft till I randomly stumbled across it so I figure there's other games I missed)

Arthea

guys, Pushcat is fun, that is all.
not short too, that is really all

meanwhile in Alphadia Genesis a plot thickens! We getting nearer and nearer to a culprit, also I cleared Knight round of arena, the hardest tier was damn hard, but not next one, maybe tomorrow. I like how almost every stronger monster in this game has attack(s) that can kill all party, meaning being too low level/hp make you simply not eligible for advancing (><)

Grief.exe

NG+ in Dark Souls 2 is going way smoother than I expected. I'm actually feeling pretty good about wrapping up these spell achievements.

Ya, but then you have to beat the majority of the game in NG++ to get the spell achievements.

From made getting 100% a grind in Dark Souls II.

Knurek

meanwhile in Alphadia Genesis a plot thickens! We getting nearer and nearer to a culprit, also I cleared Knight round of arena, the hardest tier was damn hard, but not next one, maybe tomorrow. I like how almost every stronger monster in this game has attack(s) that can kill all party, meaning being too low level/hp make you simply not eligible for advancing (><)

Did they patch in controller support yet?
How frequent are the random battles? How's the difficulty? If you can coast by just pressing attack over and over again, I don't think I'll be buying the game.

That's weird because I have a 750Ti now, and it was actually smaller than my previous card. I'm looking in my tower thinking I have so much room for activities now.

I have the MSI Gaming version, the custom cooler takes a lot of space
250 x 128 x 37 mm according to MSI's website. And I have about 2-3 mm of space to share between drive chassis and the GPU.

Zotac's standard 970 and its first-tier overclocked edition are small-form. Using the PCI-E connector as an indicator of length, you can see in this pic that there's not much to the actual PCB of the 970 and Zotac's cooler overshoots it by just a few centimetres or so:

Price is the foremost of my concern. Given how strong the dollar is ATM, we're talking about 1700 PLN. That's pretty much 66% of my monthly wage. Certainly way more than I am willing to pay for a GPU. And way way more than I could explain to my wife.

I'm starting to wish I didn't buy a 970 and a PSU to go with it... I've been trying to re-ignite my passion for games for a long time with little if any success. I thought maybe having a gaming PC and getting into Steam would do it, but after 2 months of owning it I still haven't played a single game for any significant length of time and I'm struggling to force myself to do so. And I have all the free time in the world. It's sad. I'm thinking maybe I should sell it and cut my losses :(
Forcing yourself never works, it would feel more like a chore than actual fun.

I have a 7850, so I think I need to buy a 970 before Witcher 3 comes out.

Also, I just beat Year Walk. I thought it was interesting. Pretty short.

The credits rolled, and then I did the after-credits things you can do, which upgraded my impression of the game to actually pretty cool. The story is definitely neat.

Tecl0n

If I remember correctly, it was NG+ and then beat Moonlight Butterfly for a third time. I may have forgotten though.

You need three weapons/souls from Sif.

Price is the foremost of my concern. Given how strong the dollar is ATM, we're talking about 1700 PLN. That's pretty much 66% of my monthly wage. Certainly way more than I am willing to pay for a GPU.

I feel you.

Miguel81

Squirreltopia is so damn charming, and pretty challenging on the hard difficulty. Already got the Squirrelcide achievement around 2-2 :/
Thanks again Phawx, I would have overlooked it if not for the giveaway.

If I remember correctly, it was NG+ and then beat Moonlight Butterfly for a third time. I may have forgotten though.

Edit:

Yes, Sif which you can get to very easily from the beginning of the game.

Either, go through Havel or grab the crest from the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Fair enough, running through DkS1 is pretty much a non-issue anyway as most bosses can be reached fairly easily. Haven't played DkS2 NG+ yet so I can't comment on that though.

Arthea

Did they patch in controller support yet?
How frequent are the random battles? How's the difficulty? If you can coast by just pressing attack over and over again, I don't think I'll be buying the game.

I'm not sure about controller, as I don't feel like I need one. Mouse controls are nice, and I mostly use mouse controls, kb is needed in several instances, but very little.

When I started Alphadia Genesis, about 5 hours in, I was going to suggest it to people new to the genre, as random encounters seemed not frequent to me and a game very simple. Since then I changed my opinion to opposite. You can travel huge chunks of map without encountering any battles, or a few, as well as in first dungeons it was a breeze. But it all changed when dungeons got larger and larger. Granted, you can run from any battle except with bosses but you aren't supposed to do so, as you will be underleveled and that might pose a problem later on. Later in the game, not only it seems that are are too many encounters, they aren't particularly easy most of the time.

Difficulty can be brutal if you don't understand how a game works, as I said it seems very simple at first glance but it's not that simple. Physical attacks don't do much in this game, of course they are useful, but their usefulness is limited. Enemies have weaknesses and you need to exploit those if you want your battles to run smoothly and be fast. The game doesn't help in this much, because there is no bestiary, and you basically have to remember (or write down, if you can't) what type of enemies are killed how easier. It's not really a problem as there are not many types of monsters in this game. but! and this is spoiler of sorts:
from time to time, rather often, you encounter overgrown versions of enemies, which are much stronger then they regular counterparts. You can also encounter small versions of those enemies which are extremely fast but not as strong.
Meaning, a game keeps you on alert at all times.
Other thing that makes it even more complicated are downsides, most better equipment and skills, special attacks too have negative effects to go with positive. Meaning this game requires some experimentation to get things working the way you want to, and often the best solution isn't the best seemingly, well, it's complicated.

One more thing to consider, map and dungeons are easy to navigate, there are secrets in dungeons, mostly hidden chests, these are sometimes obvious and sometimes damn pain to get to, well, if your eyesight is good, you may not have this problem.

And even more, no drops are common in this game, there are items that increase your chances of getting those, but items itself are rare. It somewhat solved much later in the game
(you get some thieving skills at some point)
, but then again, good loot is very hard to come buy and good things are not for sale for cash, but for some rare points that are scattered throughout the world (another bunch of secrets), meaning any good items are hard to come buy, junk is plentiful after the time, tho.

That's about all I can say about difficulty. It's not a hard game, but pressing attack will take you nowhere, unless you overlevel, then it probably will. On the bright side, there is no death penalty of any kind, none, so that makes a game easier.

edited: forgot to add that encounters on a map are rare only on ground, on water they are ... hi, Suikoden 4 (><)
well, not that common, but brutal so far, maybe I'm a tad too low level for those, as I just got a ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom