• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, this is my life now.

It'd be sad if this wasn't the 1,000th time it's happened. The only reason I didn't respond to this particular fellow (which I'm usually very good at) is that it arrived the day after Christmas meaning it was one of about 100 similar emails I received between Dec 24 - Dec 26. Seems like everyone is still getting new Chromebooks for Christmas.

Oh, and I've been getting death threats from people who are upset about the bug in the latest version of Firefox. So that's been great too.

Check out Kamiya's twitter on how to deal with cunts on the internet. And report every death threat to the police.

Chariot

Gat my code as well.
Ha!

idlemaster got stuck with TiTS so I clocked 10hrs into the game :(
That sounds... uncomfortable.

Well now, I had fun with 2014. Do I wish they had build your own deck mode? yes. Do I wish they had the expansion sets in there? yes.
But for what it is, its at least moderately fun!
I won't fight you on that, if you had fun, you had fun. I am just massively disappointed, because the deckbuilding, the creating of unique decks was always the most fun in every TCG I played. That and yelling at people.

Well if thats the case. It's one hell of a coincidence then. Hehe
Well, they just saw the opportunity to make that joke and went with it. I guess it's the same level of coincidence that Mr Pratchet had with Soak, the Milkman.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You know you can report death threats to the police, right? I'm pretty sure even in America it's some sort of crime to do a death threat.

Yes, they've been reported. None of them seemed serious enough for me to think I was in any real danger, but this isn't the first time I've gotten threats like this and it probably won't be the last. What the people making the threats probably aren't aware of is that I know a lot of people that work in law enforcement that can help with things like this.

But it still kinda blows my mind that people would be so upset about a bug in Firefox.

Shadownet

Banned
I won't fight you on that, if you had fun, you had fun. I am just massively disappointed, because the deckbuilding, the creation of unique decks was always the most fun in every TCG I played. That and yelling at people.

Well, they just saw the opportunity to make that joke and went with it. I guess it's the same level of coincidence that Mr Pratchet had with Soak, the Milkman.

I can agree with that, not being able to build your own deck was frustrating. But I guess it is more of a challenge. since you have to beat the stages of the game with predetermined decks. Finding out which deck is the best for that particular stage was fun imo.

Though some of the decks in 2014 was pretty overpowered. Like Jace's and Avalon's. You can run though most of the challenges with those 2 decks.

"Mr Pratchet had with Soak, the Milkman."
Man that reference is unknown to me.

ExoSoul

Banned
That's not how it works in Germany and many other countries, price mistakes do not have to be honored, doesn't matter if it's retail or online. Edit: Okay, unless you have already left the store with the item which could be equated to giving out a key and revoking. Guess that's a grey area.

Exactly.
=/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yup. According to this other thread, it's related to Indigo Prophecy.

Might buy if the sex scene is up to current graphical standards ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'd assume an Indigo Prophecy remake would be bankrolled by Sony, which is disappointing because Quantic Dream needs an excuse to take five minutes and re-release the original on Steam -- a multiplatform, PC-inclusive release could be just the ticket.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Valve actually offers something in terms of service to the publisher who uses Steamplay, what does GoG offer for a one week exclusive preorder window?
They help make sure their old games actually play on modern computers so they can even sell it to begin with. Tons of games on Steam use the GOG builds.

Exactly.
=/

It's also very damaging to the store's image, imo. After buying the new Lara Croft and getting it revoked by GamersGate, I am definitely less likely to buy there again. Not ruling it out completely, but I like to be sure that I get to keep things after a completed exchange of money for content, unless I have the same power to reverse a transaction I am not happy with.

Phinor

It's also very damaging to the store's image, imo. After buying the new Lara Croft and getting it revoked by GamersGate, I am definitely less likely to buy there again. Not ruling it out completely, but I like to be sure that I get to keep things after a completed exchange of money for content, unless I have the same power to reverse a transaction I am not happy with.

In another twist, Gamersgate had Blackguards 2 price mistake around Christmas, 75% off. It didn't last too long but bunch of people bought it. I bought it as well, with blue coins. Those copies were never revoked/pre-orders were never removed and in fact the game just released today and I've downloaded it already using the key I got from Gamersgate.

Maybe it's case by case and Eidos really pushed it with Lara Croft? Or maybe they just didn't sell too many copies of Blackguards 2. Would have been a lot easier to cancel Blackguards 2 pre-orders though, than to cancel activated keys which they did with Lara Croft.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. According to this other thread, it's related to Indigo Prophecy.

Might buy if the sex scene is up to current graphical standards ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Finally, dumb Matrix fights against evil Mayan Oracles, helicopters, and an AI...thing, now in HD! And we can't forget running from giant digital fleas and that part that rips off Grant Morrison's The Invisibles.

Oh yeah, and the opening segment that's actually really good and interesting. I guess there's that too.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This sentence makes no sense at all. What about steamplay games? Steamplay games are not tied to any kinda of exclusivity or drm-scheme.
[Note: This isn't wholly at you] Don't get hung up on the technicality of the term steamplay. We all know damn well that there are games exclusively on Steam. Sega has like a dozen of them, Konami has taken to them, Capcom is doing more and more. If you think they just up and choose Steam without Valve making a pitch for their services, you're ignorant. They might not try to "cut deals" to force them to be exclusive, but that's because they're fucking Steam so they don't have to. My point is that exclusivity isn't being "brought to" the PC scene by GOG.

In another twist, Gamersgate had Blackguards 2 price mistake around Christmas, 75% off. It didn't last too long but bunch of people bought it. I bought it as well, with blue coins. Those copies were never revoked/pre-orders were never removed and in fact the game just released today and I've downloaded it already using the key I got from Gamersgate.

Maybe it's case by case and Eidos really pushed it with Lara Croft? Or maybe they just didn't sell too many copies of Blackguards 2. Would have been a lot easier to cancel Blackguards 2 pre-orders though, than to cancel activated keys which they did with Lara Croft.
Yeah it might have been S-E that demanded the revoking, not sure. I bought many price mistakes for ridiculously cheap prices on GG and never had a problem before. Just knowing that it could happen again kind of worries me.

EDIT: The fact that Lara Croft: Osiris is SE's biggest bomba in recent memory makes it kind of amusing though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I asked a friend about this the other day who is in computer engineering.

About how is it possible to make a software that you and your friends can put your deck in, and it would let you duel one another (aka like the online games itself) BUT it would also let you duel an AI using your friend's deck when he is offline.

I thought that would be interesting. Because my best friend who is 5 hours away at college, obviously we can't duel one another or test out how strong our deck is unless it's like over Skype.

So having a program like that would be pretty awesome. Getting to test out my deck against his, even if we have conflicting schedule.

Is this too ambitious of a project? Honestly, I don't know why WotC haven't done this yet.

Well it sure would be nice if WotC let you play Magic Online with your physical cards, but that's never been a reality because of $$$.

One thing I can suggest is that you try Lackey CCG and the Magic plugin. It's a bit like Tabletop Simulator in that there aren't any built in rules exactly and no programming logic to speak of other than shuffling decks and whatnot. But it's better than nothing.

Accoun

Now, SteamGAF: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Skyrim, AC4, and now Raven's Cry are the only games I'm aware of with crazy in-game songs. Are there any more out there (on Steam)?

Bard's Tale has at least that one song about
beer
, if by "crazy" you mean "funny".

Shadownet

Banned
Just at the activation level.
So is there any way to get around it? VPN?

Well it sure would be nice if WotC let you play Magic Online with your physical cards, but that's never been a reality because of $$$.

One thing I can suggest is that you try Lackey CCG and the Magic plugin. It's a bit like Tabletop Simulator in that there aren't any built in rules exactly and no programming logic to speak of other than shuffling decks and whatnot. But it's better than nothing.

Yeah gotta bring in that $$$. Though I honestly wish that WotC could make a really good base game for Magic then each year just release new expansion sets for like $10-15.

Like let say you buy Magic 2016 for $20 or whatever, then you can buy Fate Reforged for another $10 add-on. I think I would be okay with that.

Obviously someone can't make a program like that on their own cause copyright. But thanks for the links jshackles!
Yeah, I think that was heavily talked about around here. I guess it's that dev/publisher's M.O.? It was mentioned in the post where I found out about it.

But, to be clear, at no time did I, or anyone else for that matter, ever read that post or any other post presented by said poster.

Lol I was gone for a month and when I come back. Turf become a nobody? what happened.

MUnited83

For you.
So apparently those Gat Out of Hell keys are region locked.
Yeah, we knew that for a while. Use a VPN to activate.
[Note: This isn't wholly at you] Don't get hung up on the technicality of the term steamplay. We all know damn well that there are games exclusively on Steam. Sega has like a dozen of them, Konami has taken to them, Capcom is doing more and more. If you think they just up and choose Steam without Valve making a pitch for their services, you're ignorant. They might not try to "cut deals" to force them to be exclusive, but that's because they're fucking Steam so they don't have to. My point is that exclusivity isn't being "brought to" the PC scene by GOG.
I think the word you are looking for is Steamworks. Steamplay are steam games available in more than one platform.
Regarding that issue though: most publishers opt to make their games steamworks because its more covenient for them, simple as that.

I had an hour or two before an appointment today so I played:

Noitu Love 2: Devolution

I never played the first one, but apparently it was a free action game that doesn't look nearly as good, so that'll stay that way.

I thought the game was pretty cool though. It's definitely a love letter to Sega Genesis games and Treasure in particular.

The gameplay is built around the mouse though, which is interesting. It's like what would happen if Sega Genesis games had been made as PC exclusives instead. What you end up with is a relatively unique control scheme that involves clicking on enemies as you move through the level with WASD. It feels good, though.

The game is short, but stays fun because there are a ton of minibosses.

You can unlock 2 new characters, and they seem to control fairly differently, but I'm not sure whether I'll go back through with them. I might put them in my steam category for games to replay/finish if I run out of other backlog content to be excited about.

Knurek

EDIT: The fact that Lara Croft: Osiris is SE's biggest bomba in recent memory makes it kind of amusing though.

even_possible_aliens.gif

my only issue with games using steamworks is that it's supposedly the reason behind fighting games being so laggy on steam. Something to do with the way it handles online play doesn't translate well to the frame-by-frame nature of fighting games.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Talisman Digital Edition -- MB-40F370078CF30DD1 - Taken by Deques
Betrayer -- MB-73ABE3EDCF777256 - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon
Skara The Blade Remains -- MB-C32FAF87E8CF9FE9 - Taken by Mavromatis
x

Chariot

"Mr Pratchet had with Soak, the Milkman."
Man that reference is unknown to me.
Well, Ronnie Soak was a milkman in the Dicsworld novels of Terry Pratchett, until the four riders of the apocalypse came together and Pratchet realized that Soak is "Kaos" backwards, the fifth rider. Mr Pratchet stated that he surprised himself with his genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom