• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You haven't seen shit until you've seen some console warriors try and defend why a Gamecube port doesn't run at 60fps at high settings on PS4 and XB1( it actually runs at 30ish, on medium/low settings...), that REmaster Digital Foundry Face off thread is pretty entertaining.

Terra_Ex

Finally, dumb Matrix fights against evil Mayan Oracles, helicopters, and an AI...thing, now in HD! And we can't forget running from giant digital fleas and that part that rips off Grant Morrison's The Invisibles.

Oh yeah, and the opening segment that's actually really good and interesting. I guess there's that too.
The opening sequence of Fahrenheit was one of the best I've ever experienced in a game in how it grabs you and thrusts you into the story. The thing they did with hiding the evidence and the multi-protagonist stuff proved to me that there is definitely something special that can be done with that type of game. It goes off the deep end about half way through as you say, but there's definitely something great that could come from that style of game. Beyond Two Souls is probably Cage's most cohesive work overall but it didn't quite capture the magic of Fahrenheit's opening. People give Cage a lot of shit but I'm happy enough to see what he can come up with, maybe one day he'll find the right formula to maintain the same quality level throughout an entire game.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Yeah, I think that was heavily talked about around here. I guess it's that dev/publisher's M.O.? It was mentioned in the post where I found out about it.

But, to be clear, at no time did I, or anyone else for that matter, ever read that post or any other post presented by said poster.

I don't even know who that guy is ... I don't think I've ever seen him post in here
;)

Kuroyume

Banned
They are all worth it. Best Humble Bundle by a longshot, nothing comes close.

It's

tumblr_neir8rNWdS1qzguoro1_500.png

Spare from the current Humble

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Talisman: Digital Edition -- MB-FAD062C1E4C15E44 - Taken by XShagrath

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The opening sequence of Fahrenheit was one of the best I've ever experienced in a game in how it grabs you and thrusts you into the story. The thing they did with hiding the evidence and the multi-protagonist stuff proved to me that there is definitely something special that can be done with that type of game. It goes off the deep end about half way through as you say, but there's definitely something great that could come from that style of game. Beyond Two Souls is probably Cage's most cohesive work overall but it didn't quite capture the magic of Fahrenheit's opening. People give Cage a lot of shit but I'm happy enough to see what he can come up with, maybe one day he'll find the right formula to maintain the same quality level throughout an entire game.

The opening sequences of Indigo Prophecy are so good. It's a shame that none of the choices you make in those first few segments really matter, but the concept behind it is fantastic. The first two scenes at the diner, along with the following scene with Lucas in his apartment the day after that, are great. It slowly starts to go downhill after that, though. I still think that the opening of IP is the best part of a David Cage game I've played (I still haven't played Omikron yet).

Even with all of its problems, I still think that Heavy Rain is his best game overall just because the quality is more or less consistent for the whole game. I don't think Heavy Rain is great, and a lot of the plot holes should have been fixed, but at least it's better than IP's second half. I'm not really sure if I like Beyond more than IP or not. It has a wider variety of choices that matter and even more endings than HR, but there are still a lot of non-choices/choices that don't matter at all, dialogue that's unintentionally hilarious ("You can talk?!"), and plot twists that are really easy to guess.

I don't know, I feel like Cage could do some great things as a director, but he can be really terrible when it comes to writing.

tmarg

You know you can report death threats to the police, right? I'm pretty sure even in America it's some sort of crime to do a death threat.

You can report all sorts of things to the police. Good luck actually finding a real person to charge though, and even if you do, they probably aren't in your local jurisdiction.

Kiru

The opening sequences of Indigo Prophecy are so good. It's a shame that none of the choices you make in those first few segments really matter, but the concept behind it is fantastic. The first two scenes at the diner, along with the following scene with Lucas in his apartment the day after that, are great. It slowly starts to go downhill after that, though. I still think that the opening of IP is the best part of a David Cage game I've played (I still haven't played Omikron yet).

Oh man, so true, seems a lot of people thought the same. Opening was so promising. This my post in that thread:

Oh I played this one. I honestly don't remember most of the game's plot anymore. The only thing that is still very present is the beginning of the game, superb stuff btw, and the sex scene, lol.

Kiru

Man this REmake Steam Background looks horrible. You can really see how it's upscaled with some filter applied. Does this place look like that ingame ?

Other backgrounds mostly the same, visible upscaled stuff. Only background that looks really good is this:
I guess because it's from the advertisements.

I was looking for a game that I could beat in a session, and I laid my eyes upon Vigil: Blood Bitterness. I've heard it's kind of bad, but the artstyle looks nice enough, so I decided to give it a go...

When I launch it, it opens RIP Trilogy's store page for some weird reason, I guess there's a wrong appid in the game launcher :lol. I found a fix, but would it be that hard for the publisher to issue such a small fix? Come on, Merdian4...

EDIT: For those curious about the fix, you only need to start downloading the RIP demo... I hope EA or Ubi don't hear about this!

Finally, dumb Matrix fights against evil Mayan Oracles, helicopters, and an AI...thing, now in HD! And we can't forget running from giant digital fleas and that part that rips off Grant Morrison's The Invisibles. Oh yeah, and the opening segment that's actually really good and interesting. I guess there's that too.

Yeah, Indigo Prophecy is something that should be experienced. The first 1/2 of the game or so is actually really interesting.

Then it goes, geefully, amazingly, INSANELY, off the rails. More so than perhaps any game i've ever played. It definitely inspired more "Wait... WHAT?" reactions than anything else that comes to mind.

ExoSoul

Banned
Nothing kills my "Yay, video games!" mood like finding out my rig can't run the games I'm looking forward to play... =/
I know this is a given but I'm still new to PC gaming, these are fresh wounds for me.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Skara - The Blade Remains -- MB-4CAC06D6378BD184 - Taken by Diedac. 4 entrants total.
9th Company: Roots Of Terror -- MB-29DCABF34744429E - Taken by electroflame. 1 entrants total.
Betrayer -- MB-7B84F3ACBEF65E83 - Taken by Accoun. 3 entrants total.

t1421789737z1.png

So SolForge is in the humble bundle? I actually quite enjoyed it (Kickstarted it and everything). The core mechanic is fun enough, and the matches happen very fast. It's not as deep as Magic, so it's easier to pick-up-and-play.

With that said, playing online can really suck, as people who have spent a ton of cash have decks that will absolutely annihilate you. Good deckbuilding will get you somewhere, but like most CCGs you can definitely buy your way to victory. Still, it's fun enough to play with friends, play against AI, etc.

Also, Talisman is a pretty spot-on recreation of Talisman; if you like the board game, you'll like the digital version.

Grief.exe

Nothing kills my "Yay, video games!" mood like finding out my rig can't run the games I'm looking forward to play... =/
I know this is a given but I'm still new to PC gaming, these are fresh wounds for me.

What game are you referring to? Are you citing recommended specs? If that is what is causing you problems, then don't worry most of them are complete fabrication.

Xeroblade

ModBot said:
Instructions for Xeroblade:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Xeroblade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark -- MB-150B28CDB69C379C - Taken by Sendou
Viking: Battle for Asgard -- MB-5CBAE457AF13813C - Taken by redlacs
Galcon Legends -- MB-7ED0C50BB4EC9BCF - Taken by C4rter
Silence of the Sleep -- MB-0DBDAA1362FEDF94 - Taken by Kirosia
Galcon Fusion -- MB-36C431922E9CB824 - Taken by Madn
The Blue Flamingo -- MB-C1ACAD57FFACCB77 - Taken by darkchewie
Z -- MB-95BC6B78FEFE778C - Taken by Gez
Lovely Planet -- MB-968B0D3B059E2BB3 - Taken by Zeeman
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-0CAA1C218F11F7CB - Taken by GaussTek
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure -- MB-DD7C5F19477C69FD - Taken by Kurt Russell

leftovers. enjoy.

Gat out of Hell isn't showing up in my "Recent game activity".
Anyone else having this issue?

Getting the feeling that something bad is going to happen.

You haven't seen shit until you've seen some console warriors try and defend why a Gamecube port doesn't run at 60fps at high settings on PS4 and XB1( it actually runs at 30ish, on medium/low settings...), that REmaster Digital Foundry Face off thread is pretty entertaining.

not a console warrior but i defended it. It's not a terrible port and it would be a shame to have so many new gamers turned away because it's not 60 FPS OMG WHAT IS THIS GARBAAAAAGGGGEEE

It's not the best job ever, ok, i can follow that, but it's not busted. It's just merely competent. If your only legit option for REmake is the PS4 version then that's perfectly fine. Expectations seem really warped this console gen and it irks me to see people ripping that port apart like its a steaming turd

I need help with the settings in Saints Row 4. It's playable, but the frames drop whenever I run or whenever there are too many enemies. Can anyone help me?

Edit: nvm, found the guide on steam page.

Phawx

header.jpg

My Let's Play on Human Extinction Simulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE9PMMwXmcQ

Human Extinction Simulator is hard. It's a spaceborne tactical turn-based game on a hex-grid. Single player campaigns have primary requirements and secondary requirements but as soon as the primary req is fulfilled, the mission successfully ends. Completing all requirements will net you a different service ranking.

But damn, this game is hard. Each spacecraft you pilot has different movement patterns, weapons, armor/shields, and attack patterns. Certain weapons you have are only good against shields or hulls. Sometimes they are effective against both but do less overall damage. Hulls can have varying levels of strength preventing you from even doing any damage to a hull at all.

All of this is fine and dandy but you can only attack within your attack pattern. AND AND, you can only attack on turn one or two of your particular ships turn. You can't shoot if you've moved twice, but you can move > shoot > move. So here is where it borrows from chess a bit.

Some of the single player campaigns are brutally hard though. And it's even worse when you are deep into something and BOOP one of the primary requirements is gone, game over.​

^^ That name, haha. Gonna watch later for sure.

I think the Resident Evil Remake looks gorgeous. Background & characters.

I am totally fine with 30fps as well.

Also, don't know who did the anonymous 24h raffle with Banner Saga yesterday but I have a somewhat ok feeling to get Banner.

pahamrick

^^ That name, haha. Gonna watch later for sure.

I think the Resident Evil Remake looks gorgeous. Background & characters.

I am totally fine with 30fps as well.

Also, don't know who did the anonymous 24h raffle with Banner Saga yesterday but I have a somewhat ok feeling to get Banner.

I'll fight you for it.

Likewise.

Still waiting on the actual game code though.

You won't receive the code via email. If you tried getting your code from the website and have a blank order history, click on your name in the top dropdown and select Guest Orders. From there enter your email and order number and it should give you the code. That's what I had to do to get my code.

ExoSoul

Banned
What game are you referring to? Are you citing recommended specs? If that is what is causing you problems, then don't worry most of them are complete fabrication.

I wish xD
I'm referring to actually playing it and having performance issues and upgrading would require me to basically get a new PC which I won't be able to for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom