• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Perfection.gif

That's some dedication right there.

Both could have taken way less time. Dark Souls is 4 complete runs (NG/NG+ in GFWL and NG/NG+ in Steamworks). Dark Souls 2 is NG/NG+/partial NG++ and a couple partial new characters. NG++ to get the remaining spells added a fair amount of time because I took the easy mode route of just grinding the souls necessary by camping heavy summon points and tabbing out of the game in between summons.

PriitV

Does anyone want to make a trade? You'll get me HuniePop on Steam and i'll give you Saitns row gat out of hell key from gamestop

Oh but it does, the game just doesn't spoon feed you. And you wouldn't find it boring if you knew what was going on ;)

Ok I finished chapter 8 earlier today, I'm gonna tell you what I know so far, you tell me what I'm missing cause i think i know whats going on, its just that its not really interesting. I'll put it behind spoiler tags for those who havent played it (KILLER IS DEAD SPOILERS AHEAD!!!)

So Mondo lost his arm, judging from the dreams it seems to have been david who not only cut off his arm(I accidentally skipped this cutscene, I'm just assuming thats what happened since the cutscene right after it was one where he's on the floor in the Bosses office missing an arm) but also killed his mom. Also if its safe to believe what the girl from the moon said is true, Mondo originally lived in the dark side of the moon. After killing the Giant and picking up some small replica of earth Mondo's robotic arm starts to freak out and he begins to go through a bunch of pain. its at this point we get a flashback of the Boss telling the motorcycle girl something which is most likely to execute Mondo if he becomes a threat. My theory is is that the wires he's killing is being absorbed into his left hand and he's slowly beginning to get corrupted just like the tiger guy from an earlier episode and maybe like Mondo's predecessor that you kill in like ep 2 which is maybe foreshadowing that at the end Mondo will also be killed. Also some alien gave us a small sun...
well thats my theory of the story. now you tell me what I'm missing. also you can post spoilers if you want, I don't really mind, I'm in the game more for the gameplay than story.

News, an interesting fact, a unique way to play a game, artwork, and so forth gets brought up and talked about in a NeoGAF thread. That is the first GAF.
A website, blog, video reviewer, or what have you sees it on NeoGAF and shares it on their own. That's the internet.
Someone on NeoGAF sees it on a website, decides to share it on NeoGAF thinking it's new. That's the last GAF.

"GAF > Internet > GAF means that someone posted something they found on the internet that actually originated here on GAF."

Edit: Meme Thread

OOOH okay. actually i saw that scene here on gaf first, it was actually in steamgaf :) its just I didn't bother to remember the name of the game cause I'm not into those type of games(but like i said earlier, watching bayo play earlier made me really interested. gonna pick it up this weekend on their site, getting dat sweet drm free + steam key.)

zkylon

zkylewd
dksreadyzbkpu.jpg

julian-edleman-and-tozaj1i.gif

Ready for Scholar of the First Sin/Dark Souls III.

you should be nice and let me borrow sif's sword so i can get 100% on dks1 too

i don't wanna beat 4 kings again T_T

(also congrats)

(lol i'm the worst)

Backlogger

What would be the easiest way to get $10 of amazon credit (already in my account) to my steam wallet? Is such a thing possible?

I don't think so... You could sell your Amazon Gift on the B/S/T thread in exchange for a PayPal gift of equal (or slightly less value), then use the PayPal funds to purchase wallet funds.

Btw. might not hurt to ask.

Does anyone still might have a Final Dusk key from the Indiegala monday bundle? I tried to win it yesterday in two raffles, but I do not want to buy the bundle just for this game, since I am a cheapass :D

Vlad

Steam stats now have average speeds for each ISP if you click on a country in the map:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

Holy shit!

I guess I'm happy to still vividly remember what dial-up is like, which means that I'm still plenty happy with my 300 KB/s DSL.

Not like I have a choice in the matter, though. No FIOS at my place, and I'll be damned if I'm going to use Comcast for my internet. It's bad enough that I've got to use them for my TV service, and I'd rather not have my internet crap out as much as the TV service does.

I guess it's time to check Google Fiber's page again and see if they're planning on expanding to the DC area any time soon.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
You guys know that newegg 50% off sale on Final Fantasy games? Well, with the extra 15% off code (EMCAKNA98), it brings XIII down to $6.79, which is only about $0.40 more expensive than the US Square Enix store sale during Christmas.

ExoSoul

Banned
Ok I finished chapter 8 earlier today, I'm gonna tell you what I know so far, you tell me what I'm missing cause i think i know whats going on, its just that its not really interesting. I'll put it behind spoiler tags for those who havent played it (KILLER IS DEAD SPOILERS AHEAD!!!)

So Mondo lost his arm, judging from the dreams it seems to have been david who not only cut off his arm(I accidentally skipped this cutscene, I'm just assuming thats what happened since the cutscene right after it was one where he's on the floor in the Bosses office missing an arm) but also killed his mom. Also if its safe to believe what the girl from the moon said is true, Mondo originally lived in the dark side of the moon. After killing the Giant and picking up some small replica of earth Mondo's robotic arm starts to freak out and he begins to go through a bunch of pain. its at this point we get a flashback of the Boss telling the motorcycle girl something which is most likely to execute Mondo if he becomes a threat. My theory is is that the wires he's killing is being absorbed into his left hand and he's slowly beginning to get corrupted just like the tiger guy from an earlier episode and maybe like Mondo's predecessor that you kill in like ep 2 which is maybe foreshadowing that at the end Mondo will also be killed. Also some alien gave us a small sun...
well thats my theory of the story. now you tell me what I'm missing. also you can post spoilers if you want, I don't really mind, I'm in the game more for the gameplay than story.

Well it's been a while since I played it so my memory isn't as fresh but if I recall correctly
Mondo and Moon River are childhood friends just like he is with David but the time frame isn't clear. The game starts with you playing as David in the same mission you later play from Mondo's perspective, David goes ahead and gets surprised by Tokio and is shot point blank, he's stunned but gets back on his feet and cuts Tokio's gun-arm and then beheads him and Tokio's energy flows to the moon, this implies that at this point David already is in control of some of his powers. After that he gets to Mika who had been kidnapped by Tokio and either makes a deal with her or puts her under a spell, when Mondo arrives he finds only Mika and the girl starts to stalk him including forcefully living with him, Mondo only agrees to this since she makes hardboiled eggs just the way he likes them *hint hint*.

On the second mission you're after Damon, a fellow hitman who's starting to become a Wire and all of the other jobs targets are like him, humans who have been absorbing too much evil/moon energy. That's why you later see Brian giving Vivienne the order to put Mondo out if he gets out of control.

Some of the details elude me at the moment (it's also 5:30 am here) but David wants to take over the Earth and to do that he's absorbing power in the Moon Palace but he also wants Mondo to have the Moon after he has conquered the Earth so he exposed other people to the moon's energy (ex: Alice says she only became like that after a trip to the Moon and she remembers David's name) in order to draw Mondo to them making it so that he'd drain their blood and the Moon's energy with it (also with each kill a large amount of energy is sent to the Moon/David), he has no interest in the Sun so he offered that to Mika as payment. Mondo realises that it has been David calling that shots ever since he lost his memory (in fact David is the reason he lost his memory, just like he erased Mika's after making the deal with/forcing her to serve Mondo) and decides to put an end to it. They battle on the moon, both fully Wired out, and in the end Mondo became what David wanted him to and is implied that he is now the new Lord of the Moon.

I know there's some other tidbits in the flashbacks but I can't recall them at the moment so I ended up over simplifying it a bit (didn't explain the time loops), maybe it's my brain telling me it's time to play the game again, this time on Steam.

Zeknurn

How is this allowed on Steam?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/327640

If the art assets come from the game then it's either copyright infringement OR requires you to have a copy of the base game (in which case it won't be function for the vast majority of people on Steam and there's no indication on the store page). I guess if the art assets are original then it might be OK, but it's still totally bizarre to be available on Steam.

Well, all I know is that I'm grabbing it as soon as I can.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, bit surprised this made it through the Greenlight process, let alone being released.

The dev stated, in response to a similar question, that the 'source code is open', but at the same time, 'I hope that you have your own copy' [of Caesar 3]... so even allowing for possible language difficulties, it certainly seems like the dev is aware that he is walking a fine line here - enough so that he seemingly attempted to contact Activision several times (to which it seems he may have interpreted a lack of response as an approval of sorts?).

I doubt Activision cares, and if this dude just put his remake project up on Github or whatever I don't think anyone would care, but it's just weird Steam would give their blessing to something that's so obviously a grey area.

Knurek

Oh, lovely...
That Pokemon game gives out keys for previous buyers. Keys are for the basic game, while there's a DLC on Steam with:

The extended edition of Deity Quest adds many new features to the game. The additional features include:
All new locations and quests.
An epilogue to the story.
The Follower Lab which allows you to create entirely new follower types.
New follower types which you can only find in the extended edition.

This edition includes the base game as well as the extended edition DLC. If you already have the base game, you can buy the Deity Quest Extended Upgrade DLC.

Note that some achievements in the base game are only possible with the extended edition.

Just €3.99 for the game epilogue.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
List of countries Steam has no data for:
Cuba - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
Iran - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
North Korea - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
Sudan - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
Syria - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
Burma - I would guess that junta censorship makes it impossible for Valve to do business these.
Palestine - This could be some US legal restriction or could be a technical issue (IE no access)
South Sudan - This could be the US embargo against Sudan proper or could be a technical issue.
Somaliland - Possibly being picked up as part of Somalia, possibly a technical issue
Western Sahara - Possibly being picked up as part of Morocco, possibly a technical issue
East Timor - Possibly being picked up as part of Indonesia, possibly a technical issue
French Southern Islands - Reunion isn't even on the map, but it's also possible that there are just literally no Steam users here
Antarctica - I would guess there are no Steam users here, but that kind of surprises me.
Edit: Kosovo - No idea why they would have no data here.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think i could actually go for the gat out of hell collectathon thing atm

i don't feel like playing anything too involved

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
List of countries Steam has no data for:
Cuba - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
Iran - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
North Korea - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
Sudan - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
Syria - US embargo makes it illegal for Valve to do business there
Burma - I would guess that junta censorship makes it impossible for Valve to do business these.
Palestine - This could be some US legal restriction or could be a technical issue (IE no access)
South Sudan - This could be the US embargo against Sudan proper or could be a technical issue.
Somaliland - Possibly being picked up as part of Somalia, possibly a technical issue
Western Sahara - Possibly being picked up as part of Morocco, possibly a technical issue
East Timor - Possibly being picked up as part of Indonesia, possibly a technical issue
French Southern Islands - Reunion isn't even on the map, but it's also possible that there are just literally no Steam users here
Antarctica - I would guess there are no Steam users here, but that kind of surprises me.

Palestine (West Bank) and Somaliland aren't sovereign states. Also you omitted Kosovo, which has at least partial recognition, from your list.

Because some poster's are apparently small children, let me be emphatic: I'm only stating the current geopolitical situation, I'm not advocating for or against the present reality.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Topics of discussion I am now looking forward to seeing the Steam thread cover:

• Statehood of Palestine.
  • Circumcision.
  • Tipping.
  • Open Relationships.

_(┐「ε:)_

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Whisper of a Rose -- MB-49E6F566766E326A - Taken by dot. 2 entrants total.
Cloning Clyde -- MB-C505923984040EFE - Taken by rostocker. 1 entrants total.
9th Company: Roots Of Terror -- MB-D9F4E731F92F77CE - Taken by roadrunn3r. 1 entrants total.
Tesla Breaks the World! -- MB-D0038DF54017EED4 - Taken by C4rter. 1 entrants total.
Duplicity ~Beyond The Lies~ -- MB-90FB5C882A4B1333 - Taken by electroflame. 1 entrants total.
Lunar Pack - Wake & Lunnye Devitsy -- MB-0064B12CBEC4CA94 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 2 entrants total.

t1421823640z1.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I played The Darkness 2 for half an hour, which I think is enough for my review:

SCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNEL

Final score: SCRIPTEDTUNNEL/10

-MD-

So I played The Darkness 2 for half an hour, which I think is enough for my review:

SCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNELSCRIPTEDTUNNEL

Final score: SCRIPTEDTUNNEL/10

wat

Edit: oh I forgot about that.

Lain

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Few -- MB-6D1101ED2F9E8A69 - Taken by Loptous
Towers of Altrac - Epic Defense Battles -- MB-6D070288F7F39F70 - Taken by NingenJanai
Song of the Myrne: What Lies Beneath -- MB-B5EC5EDA704FDC76 - Taken by Pranay_
Unhack -- MB-B5B7C021676FB40F - Taken by WinterDemons
Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle -- MB-21D6C3F0754CE164 - Taken by Xanathus
stuff

Indonesia has lower numbers but still got its own store.

Indonesia's economy isn't imploding.

Let me explain a little from my perspective.
As you can see from the chart, the average download speed here is totally hilarious. There are only a handful of people who can download games at 5mbps+. As for the rest, we are still struggling at downloading games at 1mbps or even below that. To overcome that, people use steam backup data from their friends or some download service (yes, this kind of service do exist here). Steam game sharing is huge over here. I think that explains why the download rate and total steam traffic are pretty low despite having its own store, besides the economy factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom