• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

For fucks sake. Win8 wasn't bad. The metro start menu was slightly irritating, but it was literally one click to close it and it wasn't there in 8.1. Other than that Win8 worked like it was supposed to work.

Win8 was a mishmash of ideas and no focus. It may not have been bad for you, but it broke all kinds of workflows for me. There were also a lot of small interface things that really bugged me in the desktop view. Small things pile up and at some point it was just more convenient to use Win7.

I didn't use 8.1 though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The updated activity feed design looks nice. Also, links to store and greenlight items present in Steam Community hub posts now generate widgets (most obviously exampled in the main Keys Added thread).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sure, but some people treat Win8 like acid. A friend of mine got out of his way to get Win7 instead of using the Win8 his bought laptop had.

Before 8.1 I'd have picked 7 over 8, and after 8.1 I'm largely indifferent between the two. It's not because I'm a raving lunatic, it's because MS designed an OS to prioritize things that I don't care about at the expense of things that I do care about. (Note: I prefer OSX to Windows in general)

Tizoc

Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 is out next week
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282900/

Noice

This is prob. new thread worthy if one hasn't been made yet.

Also I think I'm starting to have a sour throat ugh.

Barbarian

So if you take the free one-year upgrade to Win 10, what happens a year later if you don't buy it? Your PC stops working and you have to reinstall your old OS?

Panda Rin

So if you take the free one-year upgrade to Win 10, what happens a year later if you don't buy it? Your PC stops working and you have to reinstall your old OS?

isn't it if you transfer from W7 to W10 within a year, it's free for life? If you don't redeem and install W10 after a year, it will cost you.

iosefe

it's apparently a one year period where upgrading is free. thats it. after than you pay the price if you haven't gotten it.

Lomax

It's a free upgrade offer. The offer will last for one year. If you wait to upgrade until after the year is up, you'll have to pay. I know Microsoft tends to be evil, but it's really as simple as it sounds.

Edit - It wouldn't surprise me to see Microsoft push the upgrade out as an option using standard Windows Update. It's in their best interest to get as many computers onto Windows 10 as fast as possible.

This could have been a lot worse.

Honestly, I'm fine with everything. DirectX is something Microsoft should be doing. Incorporating video recording into the OS is kind of neat. I suspect Fable Legends (which I don't have a lot of enthusiasm for) will be released on Steam--I don't think there's anything about their presentation, including the presence of Xbox achievements, that precludes that. I think affirmatively showing Steam is a pretty good gesture of good faith. Streaming is kind of irrelevant to me, I don't live in some mega mansion. If I had an Xbox One, I'd play Xbox One exclusives on Xbox One, not on my PC and my Xbox One simultaneously.

So ultimately for me I'd like to see more announcements of games released on PC. Or not. Whatever. My life goes on. The main thing is that it doesn't appear that MS is actively sabotaging the things I do enjoy.

Yeah.

Monooboe

I liked the Windows event, Microsoft has improved quite a lot in my eyes. Also the Hologlasses seemed quite nice, would like to try them. Then again I am a sucker for everything new in tech.

Saty

Hopefully by Spencer saying this is the 'first step' that later in the year we'll hear about more XB1 exclusives getting local PC version.

Dead Rising 3 isn't exclusive. Ryse isn't exclusive. Ori isn't exclusive. Fable Legends isn't exclusive. Yet the XB1 is outpacing the 360.

Spare
ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Song of the Myrne: What Lies Beneath -- MB-8CC5728F46C5B361 - Taken by Knurek

JaseC

Store pages and Youtube links would generate automatic widgets in the activity feed. Greenlight might be a new one.

Yeah, but I'm referring to the Steam Community forums. Admittedly that isn't immediately clear.

Edit: Fixed up my post.

Hopefully by Spencer saying this is the 'first step' that later in the year we'll hear about more XB1 exclusives getting local PC version.

Dead Rising 3 isn't exclusive. Ryse isn't exclusive. Ori isn't exclusive. Fable Legends isn't exclusive. Yet the XB1 is outpacing the 360.

Or maybe they could announce actual PC exclusives. New AoE etc.

Dr Dogg

Eh so nothing bad, nothing really new either (well apart from some loopy hardware experiments and 'hologram' stuff).

My initial thoughts were 'oh noes Fable Legends that really exciting game has achievements....' and I'm just as riveted for it now. They acknowledged Steam, seem to be doing some moving and shaking with DX12 adoption (though BUILD will more than likely be the best place to show more on that) and 12 months free upgrade to 10 for 7, 8 & 8.1 users. Though I bet that's going to be a royal pain if you want to swap back to 7 or what have you. Guessing it's going to be key redemption via their CDN but I hope they give you bootable media and not tie 32bit users to a 32bit OS again like 8 users had upgrading to 8.1.

So no apple cart upsets thankfully.

textonly

Neo Member
No I have seen widgets in community forums months ago. At least store, not 100%-sure about greenlight.
As a regular poster of that thread, just want to clarify a bit about what JaseC said is true.

We used to hide store links inside the texts in order to save more spaces, like this
Code:
[url= http://store.steampowered.com/app/340050]Survivalist[ /url]
But after today's update, all this kind of links are forced to become widgets automatically. Now I am starting to use community link to avoid this, such as
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/KeysAdded/discussions/1/34095684716814440/#c613948093872930167

In addition, as you already know that Valve has set a plain store link like http://store.steampowered.com/app/340050 would generate a widget at the community, now this setting has been applied on texts with links.

Dr Dogg

Oooohh I think I know why Gat Out of Hell cards aren't dropping. It's not released everywhere yet (might be late on this but sue me).

Any other comments about the case? Is it easy to get in and upgrade?

Yeah, it's really easy to pop-open and very, very roomy inside (one side-effect of the thing being *huge*). It actually runs really quiet; there might be something to that whole "hexagon design with the upward angle on the front and back panels = good airflow" thing. Even under max game load I can barely hear the fans, and heat has been a complete non-issue. The "handles" at each vertex of the case come in handy because the thing is really heavy, 40+ pounds. All the LED bars are controllable via the Alienware program and can be set to whatever color you want, color cycling, etc, individually or in groups.

It's interesting where the HDs are located "underneath" the motherboard while the graphics cards are located "above" it, but it makes them both easy to get to (the RAM isn't crammed together too bad either). About the only thing that would be hard to get to is the power supply, but given it ships with an 800 or 850W supply I don't see much of a need to upgrade anytime soon.

The CPU comes water-cooled and overclocked from Dell, so I didn't need to fiddle with that much. I do like that since it's built off Haswell-E and DDR4 RAM and the underlying chipsets that support it, it's pretty future-proof and if I need to upgrade it a few years down the road it shouldn't be an issue

JaseC

Cards can drop even for unreleased games, like for early review copies.

That used to be the case, but some devs and others with RSO (release state override) copies began selling their cards on the market at high prices while the game in question was unavailable to the general public, so Valve responded accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom