• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickyson1

someone tell me real quick which bundlestars bundles are the new ones today?

my email was in spam for some reason and I deleted it by accident

Dr Dogg

When anyone mentions Phil Spencer I first think of this chap.
phil-spencer.jpg
Then again I don't know how well Location, Location, Location travelled in international TV circles.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Still no word on Grim Fandango... ugh.

Well, we're getting it day and date with GoG I'd imagine so... I'm in no rush. They'll get my money.

As an aside, if the person with a private profile named "Gaara" who has sent me a friend request on Steam for the third time is from here, I apologize, but I don't accept invites from private profiles. If it is someone from this thread, feel free to PM me and let me know.

dex3108

But you could just buy some device dedicated to steam in home streaming and it would be cheaper than a X1. Dunno what to think about that.

You get First party exclusives, console exclusives and PC streaming device in one. That is not bad deal :D

Dr Dogg

Oh it seems Xbox One streaming to PC is LAN only. Where as I had In Home Stream going over a VPN connection in about 3 days after the beta started.

Still getting nausea from Alien: Isolation. Turned VFOV to 65 and turned off motion blur and that helped somewhat. Can't wait for the actual game to start though, the contrast between this and Evil Within is kinda weird:

Evil Within was straight to the point and so far in Alien Isolation I have ran around trying to get past knee high obstacles times 12 and then opened some doors with a thing by pressing LT+RT plus left times 6 and pressed A three times.. three times! Also I have read some things. At least the graphics are very pretty.

Wasteland 2 is kinda funny, I played hours and a half today and I did pretty much nothing.

Lomax

50% off at launch?
bad port incoming?
or 75% on summer sale?

Overpriced port, honestly. $30 base price at 50% off makes the launch price $15, which seems more in line with recent releases. It's smart in a way though, seems like a great deal to start with and generates early buzz. Might generate more sales than if it just launched at $15 or at $20 with a "smaller" discount. Human perception of value is a fascinating thing.

Still getting nausea from Alien: Isolation. Turned VFOV to 65 and turned off motion blur and that helped somewhat. Can't wait for the actual game to start though, the contrast between this and Evil Within is kinda weird:

I'm honestly surprised more people don't have motion sickness issues from motion blur, it's about as "fake" as a visual effect can get. It's always the first thing I turn off.

This was an event showing their plans for Win 10 with a bunch of journos sitting there. Announcing Fable made sense, since it's not a heavy hitter. Halo is for gaming events, since it's big.

you can't announce it when MCC is still on fire on the xbone and you're trying to convince people to buy the broken version first. It'll come, just give it time.

At least they didn't fuck thing up.

We know that Steam works with Win 10, game DVR integration sounds cool, better if it was 15 mins like the PS4.

Remote play for PC is kinda cool, don't see it selling more consoles.

Cross platform, could be good in some games.

Overall feeling Win 10 looks to be a safe place for gaming.

Can't wait for GDC, battle of the 2 OS's Win 10 vs SteamOS.

Definitely a good year for PC gaming.

Kiru

Overpriced port, honestly. $30 base price at 50% off makes the launch price $15, which seems more in line with recent releases. It's smart in a way though, seems like a great deal to start with and generates early buzz. Might generate more sales than if it just launched at $15 or at $20 with a "smaller" discount. Human perception of value is a fascinating thing.
Indeed, I learned about that in economics. It's called price anchoring. Customers feel they're getting a great value and companies also get higher sales. Win-Win.

It's really starting to sound more and more like Windows 10 will be subscription based.
That would be really weird and confusing to millions of casual PC users.
I don't think MS would do such a wildly different thing.

A probability would be to make a Windows variant subscription-based for Enterprises only.

Though they did subs with Office and Adobe also goes that way now. But an OS? That be really not working at all.
So much good stuff, yet sadly most will not be played. :(

It's really starting to sound more and more like Windows 10 will be subscription based.

They never said it was sub based, but they mentioned services.

Possibility it would be that the OS would be free or purchasable for a one off fee, with the other services being sub based.

I.e if you wanted to use the Xbox app to its fullest use you would require Xbox live gold.

We can kinda see it now with Office 360.

Remember as an OS it will be up against OSX a free OS (for Mac users) and open source OS's. Any kind of sub would undermine the platform as a whole.

Nabs

For anyone who missed it earlier:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nabs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Next Penelope #3 -- MB-82F3CA76AAB505A8 - Taken by bigzgod. 38 entrants total.
The Next Penelope #2 -- MB-7BE815BE493A1129 - Taken by Jadax. 30 entrants total.
The Next Penelope -- MB-32428537B91103F3 - Taken by agniswarm. 20 entrants total.
The Next Penelope #4 -- MB-DA17150B9735C684 - Taken by Kiru. 24 entrants total.

t1421948080z1.png

Dr Dogg

Yeah in the sense that you get the OS as a free upgrade so they can get you into their new ecosystem Microsoft are trying to craft and then try and sell or resell you a load of stuff. All of their products have a subscription model, Xbox Music has free streaming in lots of countries, paid in others and buy to keep on tracks and albums you want to keep. Xbox Video has a subscription model for Films and TV as well as buy to keep prices. Then there's software which with Office having 365 and Home and Enterprise variants the app store has started to get more and more universal apps that work across devices and architectures. A lot of it is already there in 8 and mobile already so trying to get as many people to move over to 10 gives them more customers to solicit.

Hey at least Windows 10 isn't an ad infested, walled garden, with no choice but to buy incremental upgrades year on year. That would be the true horror but the way I look at it is that every game I own now runs just fine on Windows 7 and 8 so if needs must I'll make do with them to the end of my days. I mean I've got more games than I will ever play, let alone finish right now.

Windows 10 will cost 10 Steam games removed from your account per month. You heard it here first folks.

Oh crap, now there's 55 people on OT that actually believe that.

Lomax

You know, they said the same thing about Free-to-play games.

Still, that pcgamer article is good news.

I'm not saying we'll never see subscription options for Windows, you could see certain features like what they currently bundle as being the "Professional" version of Windows being done that way. But you could never have a situation where the casual user's computer just stopped working because their operating system subscription ran out, it would be a logistical and PR nightmare.

Question regarding Badges:
If you craft a level 2 badge can you still see your level1 or is it simply replaced?

It's replaced. The foil badge is separate though.

I hope the upgrade process is something along the lines of: validate Windows -> receive licence key -> download ISO. I'd hate to have to install 7 to get to 10 every time Windows needs cleaning out.

How is it currently handled if you buy an upgrade from 7 to 8? I'd imagine it will be similar to that.

Knurek

I hope the upgrade process is something along the lines of: validate Windows -> receive licence key -> download ISO. I'd hate to have to install 7 to get to 10 every time Windows needs cleaning out.

You're not using 98 anymore, JaseC, NT-based Windows doesn't need reinstalls unless you're changing the whole of your PC.

Windows 10 will cost 10 Steam games removed from your account per month. You heard it here first folks.

Oh crap, now there's 55 people on OT that actually believe that.

But what would make you think Microsoft would give up their incredible, groundbreaking, cinematic Xbox One™ exclusives to dumb pc? Everything in that thread comes back to this question so I thought I would save some time.

madjoki

I hope it's just input key -> get download & new one.
Otherwise it's gonna be pita to upgrade every license.

Annubis

Well, that and I'd get a key, install it wherever to activate it and wait a while to see if I want it on my main computer.

I hope it's just input key -> get download & new one.
Otherwise it's gonna be pita to upgrade every license.

You can already download an Windows 8.1. ISO and install it with a key. Then you just validate it online. You can even install one without any key at all and just insert the key later.

Yo GAF, who do I gotta DDOS to get this game on Steam? Cuz you know you wanna blow shit up with a track called 'Let's kick ass together' blasting the background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjZMLAKkGJ0#t=133
Armed_police_batrider_arcade_jp.jpg

I certainly would like to see this game on Steam but we all know that the chances are pretty much 0 for this. What Raizing even does nowadays?

In fact, I would to see multiple clasical shumps on Steam, there's a lot of stuff in the genre that I've never played because they're arcade only\360 port only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom